Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Mike Stauffer, AKA Beds, has just posted an in-depth look at the changes to the NBA 2K16 ratings system. It is definitely an interesting approach that will generate plenty of discussion. Read it over and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Souf Centrol @ 08/22/15 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by getzmunney
I like this, but NO ONE is catching Michael Jordan
Catch up to what? Rings? There are players with more rings than Jordan

# 42 MoneyOvaHuds @ 08/22/15 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsfan34
That's a great list (and stat to back up the ratings), but it doesn't include the really GREAT rebounders, e.g. Chamberlain, Russell, Thurmond.

If you assume they played every minute (many of them did) their rebound rates are 23-25% on average. No way to tell unless someone can watch game film to figure out the difference between OFF/DEFF, but either way, not hard to imagine Chamberlain and Russell (et al) being superior rebounders to Rodman.

Also, Rodman only had sustained elite level rebounding for 7 seasons. Chamberlain and Russell were well over 10+ seasons at that level.

Well tech their stats don't count and the level of play back then was meh IMO and for their physical stature the game was pretty easy . Not trying to down them but any star from the late 80's / 90's /00's would put up insane numbers prob better than theirs .

With all said in sure those guys will get their justice but Rodman was in a more physical era getting those rebound numbers at 6'7 .

# 43 MoneyOvaHuds @ 08/22/15 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souf Centrol
Catch up to what? Rings? There are players with more rings than Jordan

Talking about Jordan's all around pedigree as a player on and off the court .

# 44 ggsimmonds @ 08/22/15 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaruAqua
Very interesting. Definitely liking what I'm seeing but the only killer for me is LBJ at a 94 and KD at a 91. No way should there be a three rating gap between those two unless their ratings are evaluated off of their careers. When healthy, KD is the best player on the planet, IMO. They should both be a 94 or KD should be a point higher.
Durant is a better scorer, but in everything else LBJ is better and it is not even close.

This is coming from a Wizard fan who grew up in Maryland and is hoping Durant comes home.

# 45 MoneyOvaHuds @ 08/22/15 12:57 AM
Yea no question Lebron should be the best player in the game current era . KD has missed some time and other Stars have caught up for that 2nd best player argument because of that . KD rating is justified , I expect Harden / CP3 / Davis / Curry / Russ to be 90's if the scale is going by what we think .

# 46 dxyyz1 @ 08/22/15 12:58 AM
Quote:
That's a great list (and stat to back up the ratings), but it doesn't include the really GREAT rebounders, e.g. Chamberlain, Russell, Thurmond.

If you assume they played every minute (many of them did) their rebound rates are 23-25% on average. No way to tell unless someone can watch game film to figure out the difference between OFF/DEFF, but either way, not hard to imagine Chamberlain and Russell (et al) being superior rebounders to Rodman.

Also, Rodman only had sustained elite level rebounding for 7 seasons. Chamberlain and Russell were well over 10+ seasons at that level.
Yeah its almost like if you played before the early 70s stauff isnt labeling you as an all time great player .Bill and wilt both are the only players in NBA history to have 50 rebound games and multiple 40 rebound games. But, since stats like offensive and defensive rebounds werent counted before the early 1970s (blocks and steals as well among others) neither one labeled as the greatest offensive and defensive rebounder of all time is pretty disrespectful imo. Also, since blocks/steals weren't counted back then when they played either both wouldve easily most likely averaged a triple double too which imo puts Wilt ahead of MJ on my list of greatest basketball players because of his extraordinary ability on both sides of the court.

# 47 dxyyz1 @ 08/22/15 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
Well tech their stats don't count and the level of play back then was meh IMO and for their physical stature the game was pretty easy . Not trying to down them but any star from the late 80's / 90's /00's would put up insane numbers prob better than theirs .

With all said in sure those guys will get their justice but Rodman was in a more physical era getting those rebound numbers at 6'7 .
Really... their were many players who were taller and bigger then Wilt, Russell, and Nate when they played.

# 48 Trackball @ 08/22/15 01:06 AM
Quote:

That list is for offensive rebounding only--and offensive boards weren't a separate stat until about 1973, after Russell and Chamberlain retired.

Anyway, again, I didn't know Basketball Reference had stats for that, so I admit defeat there...man, if Rodman were six inches taller, he'd probably have averaged 20 boards for his career...

# 49 KSOR24 @ 08/22/15 01:17 AM
I think it's stupid that an entire ratings system is based on something so subjective. I would take advanced stats into consideration more than consensus opinions about players who played in easier eras. The ratings should be relative to all the players CURRENTLY in the league so there aren't as many variables.

# 50 Sundown @ 08/22/15 01:21 AM
This is how I always thought it should be ever since the greats were playable in 2K11. 99 should really be the highest anyone can get or ever has gotten in proficiency at an area. Not just really, really, good but we're out of numbers, so 99 for you too.

This also leaves more room at the top end to really compare players across all of NBA history, and hopefully 2K won't feel the need to tweak ratings to get players to rate an overall marching casual fans' expectations.

Also. I hope this means that Harden won't be overrated just because he is extremely effective. It would be perfectly consistent with my world view if Harden rated an all time 87, but was very difficult to stop because of draw foul and flop cheese. Playing against him should feel aggravating and slightly cheesy-- because that's how one actually should feel about his game. Stopping him would require disciplined defense without reaching and taking his strength away from him. He likely rates a 90+, though, since 2K said there are 6 players who do.

# 51 2_headedmonster @ 08/22/15 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Yea if you can't admit that LeBron is the best player in the nba right now. I don't need to explain. Just keep believing yourself. And then trying to compare him to someone who barely played last season. It's not even a contest hahaha.
personally i'd take a healthy Durant, his MVP season proved what he's capable of. Time will tell if his foot will allow his to return to form. A.T.D tho

The beauty of the new approach would suggest whatever evidence would be available will be represented in-game without bias...im excited.

# 52 jfsolo @ 08/22/15 01:29 AM
It is going to be really interesting to see if they are 100% committed to applying this standard to all players in all statistically categories, because if they are, then a lot of players are going to see a lot of ratings take a precipitous drop from where they have previously been. Their resolve will be tested with star players especially.

# 53 Knickstapeforever914 @ 08/22/15 01:32 AM
Don't know how I feel about this system yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 54 2_headedmonster @ 08/22/15 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It is going to be really interesting to see if they are 100% committed to applying this standard to all players in all statistically categories, because if they are, then a lot of players are going to see a lot of ratings take a precipitous drop from where they have previously been. Their resolve will be tested with star players especially.
These players asking Ronnie for their ratings might be in for a bit of a letdown.

# 55 dwayne12345 @ 08/22/15 02:10 AM
I like this.

Here is a caveat of any ratings scale that I wonder if Beds and the team addressed: Progression - Regression as it relates to the non single game modes.

Will we have, in year 3 of a MyGM, 14 guys rated in the 90's? The problem I had with the ratings was more so that every youngster with high potential developed to or past their mark, while most players already in the 90's never regressed a bit.

In NBA2k15 by year 2019 guys like Kevin Durant, James Harden, Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving just kept getting better because they would rarely ever see injuries.

Between NBA2k11 and NBA2k15 look how many players hit the 90's, were lowered, and some later rose again. I hope the ratings in the My modes are as dynamic.

# 56 DatGD12guage @ 08/22/15 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSOR24
I think it's stupid that an entire ratings system is based on something so subjective. I would take advanced stats into consideration more than consensus opinions about players who played in easier eras. The ratings should be relative to all the players CURRENTLY in the league so there aren't as many variables.
But your opinion on what era you think is easier is subjective.........

While this may not be the best system I cant think of any other logical system better. However I do think it will be much better than the system now.

I agree that there can only be one person who is the BEST at a particular area, like John Stockton is fair to say the best passer in terms of ALL TIME ASSISTS so he should be the standard.

My only question is how will this work for categories like speed, ball handlng, quickness, vertical, contesting, etc.

Or maybe im complicating things?

# 57 suh90beast @ 08/22/15 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLiveKing
Shouldn't they do Eras instead of HOF overall? Great rebounder back then might not be as good as a rebounder now. Or the other way around, maybe I'm missing something.

I also feel that most of the best rebounders like Rodman should be irritant, have that personality of an aggressive rebounder to go along with their rating. If they could some how take the mental aspect of the game and coincide it with the ratings system, they could be onto something. Maybe have ratings fluctuate throughout the game based on what's going on. If Rodman is playing aggressive grabbing 18 rebounds in a game, you should see that effect on the opposing player bringing that rating down. I think we could have a realistic approach that way. NOt sure how if can be implemented, it's just an idea.

New system looks interesting though. I'm just thinking out loud
Yea we need to see agressive rebounders get after the ball

Sent from a stoner in New Orleans

# 58 Taer @ 08/22/15 02:58 AM
I understand choosing the Worm for the modern NBA standard for rebounding, yet I have a few questions due to this choice:

• Will Classic NBA legends such as Russell and Kareem perform as they did classically or will we see modern gameplay, even with two classic teams from the 60's-70's in a match-up?
  • Are the newly generated rookies going to have a min-max parameter starting out, so there will be no random oddities resulting?
  • How do the statistical ratings play out within the playbooks and coaching philosophies? (Will a post-up Master still be able to record his awesome numbers in an entirely different system or will we see his effectiveness be limited due to a clash between skill-set and system being run by the coaching staff?
I think deflation of stats is overdue, I'm just concerned that 1975 teams will play like 2015 teams and that statistical anomalies will still skew the leagues and myplayer (offline) files we run this year.

# 59 ai2k2 @ 08/22/15 03:17 AM
Must mean LeBron is the highest rated in the current NBA with a 94 overall or something to that effect. I can't wait to see Wade's rating. I'm guessing around 85. His numbers were really good at 33.

# 60 shmitty @ 08/22/15 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
This is how I always thought it should be ever since the greats were playable in 2K11. 99 should really be the highest anyone can get or ever has gotten in proficiency at an area. Not just really, really, good but we're out of numbers, so 99 for you too.

This also leaves more room at the top end to really compare players across all of NBA history, and hopefully 2K won't feel the need to tweak ratings to get players to rate an overall marching casual fans' expectations.

Also. I hope this means that Harden won't be overrated just because he is extremely effective. It would be perfectly consistent with my world view if Harden rated an all time 87, but was very difficult to stop because of draw foul and flop cheese. Playing against him should feel aggravating and slightly cheesy-- because that's how one actually should feel about his game. Stopping him would require disciplined defense without reaching and taking his strength away from him. He likely rates a 90+, though, since 2K said there are 6 players who do.
Excellent post. I hope this is the direction 2k is taking.

Hopefully we're getting closer to players playing closer to their real life counterparts and having significant strengths and weaknesses.

Ratings are cool but I kind of view them similarly to the shot meter. A way to guide the user. It should really be about using a player in the right situation and forcing the opponent (human or ai) to adjust.

The example of Dwight hitting 12 footers is very encouraging. Those kind of plays discouraged us from using real bball strategy. Maybe the umantra "don't play video games, play basketball" will actually mean something this yr.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.