Home
PES 2017 News Post

The PES 2017 demo is available now for Xbox One users, weighing in at 3.3 GB. Queue it up right here.

UPDATE: The demo is now available on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

Play a few matches and post your impressions!

Control Reality in Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 with the demo, and experience these new gameplay features:
  • Real Touch – Players control the ball in unique ways based on where and how you control them
  • Authentic Visuals – Player models, lighting, crowds, pitch and stadiums totally revamped
  • Adaptive AI – For the first time in a football game, the AI will learn how you play and adapt accordingly
  • Natural Player Movement – Hundreds of new animations have been added to bring the players to life
  • Goalkeepers – Keepers see a great jump in their quality, through added motions and animations

Game: PES 2017Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 10 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 Qb @ 08/24/16 09:03 AM
Played a handful of Arsenal/Atletico matches last night. This is the best feeling PES I've played in a long time. I really enjoyed the support/movement of my teammates; they find nice pockets of space to be available for passes. Ozil had by far the most touches on my team and always seemed to be open (in a good way). I LOVE how crosses feel - the have some zip and curl to them, not floaty at all. I scored a couple headed goals with Giroud and they looked great, aside from having acres of space out wide to hit the cross.

So I guess I'm seeing the retreating fullbacks issue too, but overall I feel like defensive positioning is fairly solid. Men get behind the ball and it doesn't feel like always scrambling to catch up. I agree the passing is a bit too assisted (I was on level 1), but it doesn't seem to unbalance the gameplay since the defense is fairly sound. Also agree that body position doesn't affect passing/shooting enough, especially shooting. I unleashed a wicked low shot with Giroud after a quick turn and it didn't look believable.

Keepers seem better, but I didn't test the CPU too much as I get the hang of things. Cech made a really nice diving save, but I also saw some of the stiff and awkward animations too. But I'll accept some awkwardness if they're competent, which first impression is they will be.

Like how the crowd howls & whistles on borderline challenges and reacts to play. It's probably more noticeable since there's no commentary, but still seems well done nonetheless. Player likenesses are pretty impressive; it's such a shame they can't get more robust licensing because it is a good looking game.

Overall, the demo took this from not much interest to possible purchase. For someone who doesn't buy many games, that's saying something. I'll keep an eye on option file progress and gameplay impressions with a hopeful eye towards Black Friday...

# 62 DBMcGee3 @ 08/24/16 09:03 AM
Got in about 6 games last night (Top Player, 10 minutes) and all I can say is.....WOW. I'm no expert in football strategy, so I won't dismiss the complaints others have made, but here were my impressions.

-Goalkeepers are vastly improved, as is the defensive AI. I didn't find nearly as much space as in last year's game, and there were constantly guys sliding at my feet when I shot. When I actually got shots off, the keepers were solid, probably the best I've seen in a game yet. End result, the scoring was way down from last year's game, which is awesome if you want to play 15 or 20 minute games. The goals feel earned this year, you can't just score every time you shoot from inside the box.

-Refs- Holy S#%@!!!!!! They are calling fouls appropriately, and giving cards! I played one match as Barca vs. Atletico, and they were flat out bullying me. I think they had about 8 fouls and 4 or 5 yellows in 10 minutes, and it doesn't take a horrible tackle to get a foul, sometimes a hard bump is enough, which is great. Game changer, plain and simple. I'm shocked they were able to improve this so much in 1 offseason.

-Animations- The game looks soooooo good. There are so many shooting and passing animations, and they've finally got the collisions figured out. I honestly think the collisions in PES look more realistic than FIFA's now, which I never thought I'd say. Replays are done well, goal celebrations look amazing, it's eye candy from start to finish. Best player models I've ever seen, on the good teams at least. The less known players can still look a little jarring by comparison though.

-Signature play- This is where PES always kills FIFA, and this year is no exception from what I've seen. The players just feel like themselves. Messi is so fast and strong with the ball, Pogba dominates the midfield with his size and athleticism, Ozil makes perfect lobs and through balls......it's fantastic, really. Can't wait to get an option file with the tactics refined even further.

-The Pace- Feels perfect to me. The players look great when they're moving, and the pace of the ball seems right on, both with passing and shooting. I've struck some absolute corkers from outside the box but haven't found my mark just yet.

-First Touch- Huge improvement, really adds to the realism and keeps the passing %s more realistic. In most of my games the %s were high 70s/low 80s rather than 90s, like PES 2016 or FIFA (every year). Another way the great players just feel different from the rest. Also these animations are particularly beautiful.

I'm sure I'll find some flaws eventually, but I can honestly say that last night was the best hour and a half I've ever spent with ANY sports video game. It's that good, believe the hype.

# 63 Battle4MY @ 08/24/16 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Yup, there is. Had this happen:

Fouls have improved for sure but I feel this video is poor example. In the first 30 seconds there are bunch of no calls.

# 64 Money99 @ 08/24/16 09:22 AM
Really enjoying the demo.
I'm trying to decide between FIFA or this one.
Anyone give me an idea of how different the career modes are between the two?
I know FIFA has more of the players/teams but PES has the Champions League.

But what about options? Can I be fired as a manager in PES? Can I manage international teams?

# 65 KG @ 08/24/16 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Yup, there is. Had this happen:

Loved the stepover Koke gave you to create space to fire in the cross.

I've noticed that vs Messi, Sanchez, etc... that I've had to square up and call for help and/or try to force them to the touchline.

# 66 RoyceDa59 @ 08/24/16 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Loved the stepover Koke gave you to create space to fire in the cross.

I've noticed that vs Messi, Sanchez, etc... that I've had to square up and call for help and/or try to force them to the touchline.
They really made player ID stand out this year, also love how much flair they added to the game. It is just enough to the point it doesn't feel overdone.

# 67 nunogomes @ 08/24/16 10:55 AM
Can´t remember a game having this kind of reception here on the demo. Really looking forward to test it later today.

P.s. - a few pages back there is a .gif of a bycicle kick goal, i play PES since ISS and i only scored 2 bycicle kick goals in all of these years, but that one posted here was the best i´ve ever seen.

# 68 KG @ 08/24/16 11:15 AM
As a Chelsea fan it PAINS me to say this but Ozil is just class in PES 17. His touches, flicks with the outside of the boot, and just in-general left-footedness is spot on.

Also cool to see the CPU sub on an attacking player down 0-1. Pulled Kante for Cabaye trying to chase the result.

I wish Liverpool was on the demo so we could see the Gegenpress.

# 69 PAPERNUT @ 08/24/16 12:08 PM
Still not satisfied with the refs and foul calls, but it is about the same with FIFA in that regard now, so not much of a choice to get anything better. I am impressed mostly with the aerial game and hold up play. Player movement and like others have mentioned, the player ID as each individual plays different. This is the closest the game has played to the old days, so I am thinking of making the switch back. If only the PC version was not jacked up, I would hands down make the switch today.

# 70 KG @ 08/24/16 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPERNUT
Still not satisfied with the refs and foul calls, but it is about the same with FIFA in that regard now, so not much of a choice to get anything better. I am impressed mostly with the aerial game and hold up play. Player movement and like others have mentioned, the player ID as each individual plays different. This is the closest the game has played to the old days, so I am thinking of making the switch back. If only the PC version was not jacked up, I would hands down make the switch today.
There's some matches where there a good amount of fouls called and others where it's missing. I think the issue is a combination of too much space (caused by quick interchanges & possibly formations), aggression levels, and players not being close enough to foul.

I have noticed that when the computer is trailing they become more aggressive resulting in more risky tackles.

Hopefully fouls can be fully sorted (they're still 10x better than '16) but there could be some built-in logic for rivalry matches as well as some ratings/badges/traits at play. I have to dig a little deeper.

# 71 orion523 @ 08/24/16 12:48 PM
Played about 10 or so games today, same settings as Matt posted on his video. Kinda have mixed feelings, as I have for the last several years with PES. Fundamentally the game feels just as it has for years. Barely there physics, clumsy replay system, PS1 style menus, overly complicated control scheme, yet despite all that, it's got the fun factor. From a sim perspective, there are definitely issues, the biggest of which pertains to space and the cheapness of it. It's simply too easy to move through two thirds of the pitch. Fouls are better, but still not up to par. Keepers much better, no real complaints. I know I'm all over here, but all boiled down it comes to this. If you are a fan of the series and are willing to accept the limitations when it comes to leagues, licenses, editing, and the rest then you will love 17. If not, then there's nothing here to change your mind.

# 72 RoyceDa59 @ 08/24/16 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPERNUT
I think they are good probably how it was on PES 6 now. Although I do feel like some refs are more lenient than others (still have to test this), first game I played I saw 10 fouls committed (not including offsides). Overall I am pleased, the jury is still out there on how Adaptive AI transfers over to Tournaments and Master League.

# 73 Matt10 @ 08/24/16 01:16 PM
Seriously, this game is so close. There needs to be a transition from Attack to Defense, not just an immediate ATTACK! and then DEFEND! Watch the video for an explanation:

# 74 Matt10 @ 08/24/16 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
Great stuff, Matt. That hot and cold, binary attacking / defending stuck out immediately. Love the physics, especially the ball, but what's up with the skiing animation when players are face up dribbling? It looks silly because virtually every player on the pitch does it. It almost looks like a dribbling drill with cones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mean to respond to you, yesterday, man. Yeah - physics on the ball are much better, and pretty much most on the ball elements are positive. As always though, especially in these soccer games, it's all about positioning. See my video above that goes over the cause and effect.

# 75 BL8001 @ 08/24/16 01:31 PM
If you want an eye opener go play FIFA 16.

I just played 2 Fifa 16 matches with default settings, then fired up PES and played 2 matches with default settings.

The way everything goes down is just so much more balanced and fair. If you play chill, the PES AI can score on you on regular, if you play aggressively you need to move up the difficulty.

But to have an AI who is both adventurous and threatening even on the FIFA equivalent of pro is outstanding.

Me as Boca vs River ends 2-2. They go up 1-0, I clamp down and equalize with Tevez, then just a bit later go ahead with a wonderful Tevez goal. CPU claws back and ties up 2-2. None of this feels cheap or exploitative. I am not trying to go into a certain area where automatic goals happen or watch the CPU D being gifted generous miracles to keep me from scoring.

I will have the vid up in this post soon. Stupid xbox one DVR missed my 2nd tevez goal. I wish the xbox one had the recording logic of PS4 to actually start your 5 minutes from when the last 5 minutes ended.

I really hope the FIFA 17 demo is as good as the PES demo. Having 2 great games would be outstanding.

# 76 DBMcGee3 @ 08/24/16 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
If you want an eye opener go play FIFA 16.

I just played 2 Fifa 16 matches with default settings, then fired up PES and played 2 matches with default settings.

The way everything goes down is just so much more balanced and fair. If you play chill, the PES AI can score on you on regular, if you play aggressively you need to move up the difficulty.

But to have an AI who is both adventurous and threatening even on the FIFA equivalent of pro is outstanding.

Me as Boca vs River ends 2-2. They go up 1-0, I clamp down and equalize with Tevez, then just a bit later go ahead with a wonderful Tevez goal. CPU claws back and ties up 2-2. None of this feels cheap or exploitative. I am not trying to go into a certain area where automatic goals happen or watch the CPU D being gifted generous miracles to keep me from scoring.

I will have the vid up in this post soon. Stupid xbox one DVR missed my 2nd tevez goal. I wish the xbox one had the recording logic of PS4 to actually start your 5 minutes from when the last 5 minutes ended.

I really hope the FIFA 17 demo is as good as the PES demo. Having 2 great games would be outstanding.
I agree with you across the board. I think the highest compliment I can give PES this year is that the CPU is scoring some really nice goals on me, in a variety of ways. I have yet to feel cheated, and I can almost always point to a mistake I made that left the door open.

I've played FIFA for years, including spending much more time with it than with PES the past 2 years. I like a lot of what they do. That being said, if their demo doesn't knock it out of the park, I probably won't be buying it this year. The PES demo has me absolutely giddy at work right now, just thinking about playing later. FIFA has never given me that feeling.

# 77 BSDShoes @ 08/24/16 01:52 PM
Having played more of the demo, I noticed the AI is actually alive and does a variety of things like actually cross passing.

# 78 BL8001 @ 08/24/16 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
The PES demo has me absolutely giddy at work right now, just thinking about playing later. FIFA has never given me that feeling.
This right here.

I am sitting here thinking of the same thing, how can I attack better/more creatively or maybe if I had just played one more extra pass...

Also simple things about who is on the pitch, where. Because it matters. Subs make a big difference.

What I like is how they took the user's player offense AI from last year and made it even better. So often when I use the common tactic of holding up play and allowing overlap, there on the screen is the overlap. I don't have to hold the ball wishing the run would come, it happens.

CPU is doing similar things, they use the pass and go way more effectively than last year.

What it does is fires off defense alarms in the right way. You can feel the threat intensifying. But it doesn't mean they will score, it just means the threat is there. Of course it all means when you do something wrong when the tension heightens the CPU is way more likely to score.

I cannot wait to grab an option file and try some games with lower skilled teams.

# 79 BL8001 @ 08/24/16 02:03 PM
Here is boca river xbox one. Someone at ms or konami needs to tell us why this game looks crisp and clear on PS4 and blurry on xbox one. Other sports games don't look this drastically different.

And yes, I missed a wide open goal at 4 min. I just held the stick the wrong way, I was playing FIFA style and trying to guide the player to the ball, holding left stick up and left but he was smart enough to move there on his own so when I shot the shot went up and left and I missed.

I put my head in my hands and went no, looked up and my dude on screen had his head in his hands.

# 80 dubcity @ 08/24/16 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10

I played superstar as well and it happens throughout all teams. This is a built in/embedded issue with the defensive mentality. Ever since they introduced the Attacking Prowess and Defensive Prowess values, there is no in-between. So they will either Defend the man as much as they can, or they will go in a full out attack as much as possible.
I'm sure it's programmed that way on purpose by Konami to create more end-to-end-action and "exciting" gameplay for casuals. Realistic midfield play/defending slows things down too much. I'm sure most players don't even think it's a problem seeing defenders sprint back to the edge of their own 18 yard box the instant their team loses possession, as long as the graphics look good on celebrations.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.