Home
OS Scores Explained FIFA 15 Overview (PS4)
Pros
Entertaining gameplay with improved AI; degrading pitch and game story are fun add-ons; smart mode improvements and Game Day Live feature.
Cons
Limited practice options; no new modes.
Bottom Line
FIFA 15 is a game that any fan of the sport, casual or hardcore, should check out.
out of 10
FIFA 15 REVIEW

FIFA 15 Review (PS4)

It’s been kind of an uneven year for EA Sports, with Madden being quite solid, EA Sports UFC receiving a mixed response and NHL 15 getting panned. Then you’ve got NBA Live and whatever that will be this year, but that’s yet to be known. With all of that, it’s a pleasure to see a product from EA that arrives with confidence and proper execution, and this is what can happen when a team has the resources to keep improving on their vision year over year.

FIFA has been a strong total package in the last few years, constantly delivering in terms of licensing and modes and also providing some reasonable gameplay. This year ups the ante even more, with improvement in defensive AI, goaltending, shot physics, on-pitch presentation, goal variety and mode depth. Whatever level of fan you are of the sport, this is an easy year to recommend FIFA, as the product shines brightly.

There has been quite a bit changed this year, with some subtle differences and some quite dramatic ones, but the most notable modifications have come from the presentation of the action as well as the gameplay variety. There hasn’t been a great deal added in terms of new modes, but the depth afforded to the familiar offerings is certainly noticeable, and the design decisions for this year’s game were smart ones.

The elevator pitch for FIFA 15 has been emotion and the “game story,” and that has been something I have noticed a good deal. There are a whole host of new animations and reactions this year, and the idea is that players will interact with all others on the pitch in a unique way. I’m really excited about where this feature could go if the dev team sticks with it, but what’s here adds a compelling layer to the action, as you’ll see defenders give each other nudges after a good clearance, strikers giving thumbs up for correct passes (even if they blew the shot) and some great goalie animations as they make saves or cheer on their team’s goals.

All of these reactions are stitched together into mid-match and post-match cinematics, and the idea is that the essence of the game will be distilled in these sequences. It’s quite fun to see a key tackle that resulted in a red card (complete with dramatic referee and card close-ups) or shots that rattled the woodwork. A lot of the little emotional moments are captured here, too, with players roaring in triumph or holding their head in shame. When you combine these vignettes and animations with the great-looking crowds, improved player models and degrading pitch, it really starts to bring everything to life.

Gameplay

Of course, none of this added emphasis on in-game story and emotion would mean anything if there wasn’t varied gameplay to back it up. What’s great is that FIFA 15 has improved in many key areas that fans have been clamoring for, including goal variety, defensive AI, ball control at low speeds and goalkeeper tendencies. In my view, FIFA has been a perfectly enjoyable gameplay experience in the last few years, but it has had a couple of holes in the gameplay loop.

With FIFA 14, the priority was clearly on getting a smooth-playing and well-animating game that had improved shot releases and footwork. With FIFA 15, the developers have filled in a lot more of the gaps, as now the shot release is paired with proper shot physics, and balls will sail or drift when additional power is applied. I’m happy to see players not always just roofing it when they get a sightline on the net, as a touch of extra pepper will send the ball careening into the stands. This goes for headers, too, as the release point on those has also been changed.

Getting into position to make these shots has been made more interesting thanks to improved ball control at various speeds, and I felt much less skittish and awkward when making cuts or receiving a lateral pass in the box. When trying to engage opposition who use these advanced dribbling techniques, I found success with the new shoulder barging and possession slide tackles. In general, the one-on-one battles feel less about speed and more about creativity.

I’ve seen a wide array of goals, including shots off the post and deflections off of defenders. The adjusted animation rigging and behaviors of the goalie also have something to do with this, since keepers will now show more initiative on certain sequences. The animations for the goalies look slick, with some added dives and desperation lunges. The goal variety does appear to be at the expense of some enforced idiocy on the goalies from time to time, as it does appear that certain screen shots just leave them frozen. Still, I like that the developers are trying to create more rebound and second-chance scenarios, as it gets FIFA away from the circus of constant finesse shots and headers.

The biggest change I’m loving is from the AI (and this goes for offline play and pro club AI). Fellow teammates will now actually pursue speeding opposition and execute defensive charges with some level of competence, and they sky up to reach headers, even defensively, much more than they have in the past. Even playing on world class difficulty, it was a pleasure watching my Hull City squad compete for headers off of crosses and smartly clear out the ball to the sidelines (finally) when trouble arose. Even lob through passes, which have been a staple of FIFA for years, are much harder to complete on offense and easier to stop on defense, as the AI just won’t get caught how they did before. I did still find that raw speed could break some of the AI from time to time, but the pursuit is just better in these situations. I’ve also seen a lot more fouls committed by the AI this year, so that’s very welcome.

Honestly, I’ve really been having a good time playing the game. I’ve lost some matches; I’ve won some matches. The score lines have been realistic. The AI now behaves with some level of sense, and the goal variety and in-game presentation are really bringing things to life. It’s fun to play FIFA 15.

Presentation

This series has always looked great, and this year is no different. The in-game story and animations mentioned previously really elevate the atmosphere, and there is increased detail for player faces, kits and animation. In general, the faces look less plastic than before, and the hair tech provides a bit more bounce (but still actually looks kind of goofy). Kits now bend and crease more appropriately, and there is a better weight and movement on players when they tumble over from a foul. The degrading pitch looks fantastic, as you’ll now see divots, slide marks and footprints in the grass, and they stay there the whole match. This tech looks even cooler in the rain. It’s nice to see better woodwork and flag physics, too, as nets and flags will move properly when struck.

The increased detail for Barclays Premier League teams is pretty cool, with re-scanned faces, intricate arena detail and some authentic crowd chants. For example, I played as Hull City in career mode, and it was fun seeing dramatic cuts of the crowd in KC Stadium and its unique semi-tiered layout. The two-plus hours of crowd chants and songs are evident as you make your way around the BPL. Martin Tyler and Alan Smith continue to provide excellent commentary, and the natural feel to their delivery continues to impress me whenever I hear it. By the way: the soundtrack this year is one of FIFA’s best — ever.

A cool add-on this year is the Match Day Live feature in the menus, where you can follow any of the teams in the game from a centralized hub. It’s all powered by goal.com, and you’re able to scroll through articles, monitor stats and injuries and even play your team’s next game. The feature is simple and to the point, but I think it fits into the game in an elegant way.

Offline Modes

Nothing rocks the boat too much in terms of modes, as FIFA 15 has shipped with the same suite of options as last year, but with tournament mode added back in. You’ll have the usual manager career and player career paths, and then there is exhibition, HUT, skill games and practice. It’s unfortunate that practice mode doesn’t let you play with a whole squad anymore, as I know some people used that feature to work on their playmaking and dribbling.

Career mode feels familiar in most ways, but of course the gameplay and presentational improvements do breathe some life into your player or manager career. The hub for managing all of the data remains relatively usable, and you can try and improve your player through the usual slew of accomplishments and goals. As a manager, you’ll enjoy a slightly faster search, and scouts will make recommendations based on team needs. Team sheets have also been added, and these are handy for tailor-making your squad for various opposition. The ability to set roles and play styles for the entire team and individual players is actually pretty cool, and it provides a better feeling of control before going into a match.

FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT) continues to plug along and provide a deep fantasy experience for those who want it, and the transfer market continues to be busy with lots of players up for auction. I’m not a big player of Ultimate Team modes, but I liked the idea of signing loan players in FIFA 15, which gives you a taste of a high-level player for a smaller cost. Also, the concept squad option allows you to plan out your future growth or work around injuries, and you can plug any player into a possible line-up to take the guesswork out of what the chemistry mix might be. It’s a smart addition, and I enjoyed tinkering with it.

Online Modes

Online is also pretty familiar, but the modes on offer remain excellent. Seasons and co-op seasons are back, and online friendlies are also an option. Pro clubs is where I spend a bunch of my time, and those matches are as fun as ever with a dedicated squad of friends who are willing to play a role and enjoy the ride. Helping with that this year is the ability to play matches one after the other, and this added flow really keeps things moving when you don’t have to go back to the lobby. Even better, a friend who misses a match can queue up in the lobby and be added to the next one. Really cool. The ability to match up right away is also available in other online modes.

In general, the connection has been rock solid, as always, and human teammates and opposition really pick up the pace. When playing in pro clubs, it was a pleasure to see our few AI teammates actually get to some headers and make smart clearances, so we saw less of the usual spam that has been a feature of online play in the past.

Final Thoughts

FIFA 15 does right by its fans in many ways, as the added presentational and gameplay depth bring the action to life more than before. Presenting the game as a story, with more emotion and cutscenes, actually works and doesn’t feel cheesy, and it’s something EA should do more of in the future. The familiar suite of modes is made better by improved AI and goal variety, and the licensing depth is improved thanks to Match Day Live and the increased detail to Barclays Premier League. FIFA 15 is a winner.

Learning Curve: As with previous FIFA games, it takes a bit of getting used to in terms of some of the more advanced tactics. Still, getting up and going with the basics (dribbling, passing, shooting, positioning) shouldn’t take many players too long.

Control Scheme: It’s a familiar control scheme at this point, but the pace of movement on dribbling is slightly changed, so getting used to that wrinkle will take a bit of time.

Visuals: FIFA has always looked great, and this year is no exception. Player faces, kits and animations are all buffed, and the on-pitch action looks fantastic. The pitch degradation and in-game story cutscenes really stand out.

Audio: Martin Tyler and Alan Smith continue to produce some of the best team sports commentary out there, and they’ve got some additional quips and beats this year. The crowd sound is terrific, especially with the enhanced BPL chants and songs. I also have to single out the soundtrack, as it’s one of the best in years.

Value: There’s a lot to do in FIFA 15, with the usual mix of career mode (manager or player), HUT, skill games, online seasons, friendlies and pro clubs. While there’s nothing new, they’ve all improved. The gameplay and presentation sell the game this year, and they are supported by a proper slate of modes that users have come to expect. The Match Day Live feature that highlights your home club’s latest news and stats is a welcome addition, too.

Score: 9 (All-Time Classic)

Scoring Note: This year showed some key advancements in terms of gameplay depth, AI and presentation, and all of the modes are there to play (with enhancements). The in-game story stuff and Game Day Live really worked for me, and the whole package made a strong argument for a high score.

FIFA 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TheLetterZ @ 09/26/14 10:43 AM
Well done, Glenn! I found myself nodding along.

# 2 cadalyst17 @ 09/26/14 10:58 AM
This year's FIFA will be the first one that I buy in 3 years. The overall next gen package is very nicely well done. Cheers EA. Great product

# 3 dmendenhall_9 @ 09/26/14 11:04 AM
quote from review:
"FIFA has been a perfectly enjoyable gameplay experience in the last few years"

This may be where I stopped reading (last years FIFA gameplay involved spamming headers and over the top through balls, and ended up having not much of a gameplay after that, the game was shallow). The gameplay of FIFA is just not that fun (for sim fans). I played the demo and the whole thing was supercharged with players running so fast and passing so fast it was nuts. It may have gotten better but I am still on the fence with FIFA gameplay. This is ALL I care about when it comes to sports games (I don't do FUT, pretty much fut FUT). I want a in depth analysis of the gameplay not a short paragraph saying oh the goalies are better. Anyway just some random thoughts. Don't think I will get it this year, they have seemed to speed it all way up for the casual gamer and have given players super abilitys to turn on a dime while going a hundred miles per hour. Found myself just spamming the turbo button in the Demo and going wherever I wanted. No buildup, no difference in the way I setup getting goals, no satisfaction.

# 4 Turbojugend @ 09/26/14 11:25 AM
Great review. Loving this year's FIFA.

# 5 cadalyst17 @ 09/26/14 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmendenhall_9
The gameplay of FIFA is just not that fun (for sim fans). .........This is ALL I care about when it comes to sports games
First of all, both games are not true sims of the sport and second, I don't understand why you bought a brand new system that offers more in technology to display a lot more in a 60 plus dollar game, if all you care about is gameplay? but....heh! that's just me

# 6 mjarz02 @ 09/26/14 12:08 PM
This game is lot of fun! The game play is fluid and goals are varied. Of course you can speed up the game by mashing turbo. However, I like to build up play and not exploit turbo. I feel when you slow down the game, the cpu responds in similar fashion. I think we tend to forget that we are not playing 45 min halfs. I play 9-10 min halfs, so I don't expect the gameplay to be a true sim. This is a video game after all and true sim is not their target market. I've been playing sports games since RBI baseball on the nes and this is some of the most fun I have ever had.

# 7 emelki1968 @ 09/26/14 12:18 PM
The game is not boring, but it is going in a more arcade direction that I would want. And you can tell that a lot of time goes to the Ultimate Team improvements. I have always played as a manager/player, and they still have the same issues than in previous years. They are not doing anything with that. They should take a look to NBA2k to see what you can do to get a player more immerse into the action. The defensive AI is still the weakest link for me, and this year the pace is too fast for my taste. Also, the audio in Spanish is still not good. Do they sell 15 million of copies just in UK and USA? I don't think so. EA is not taking care of their Spanish customers like it should be. But eh! it is a Anglo, white company.
Yes, it has great animations and it is a very entertaining game, if you just care about that.
Great review, although I don't agree with some parts.

# 8 ncaafootball14markus @ 09/26/14 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelki1968
The game is not boring, but it is going in a more arcade direction that I would want. And you can tell that a lot of time goes to the Ultimate Team improvements. I have always played as a manager/player, and they still have the same issues than in previous years. They are not doing anything with that. They should take a look to NBA2k to see what you can do to get a player more immerse into the action. The defensive AI is still the weakest link for me, and this year the pace is too fast for my taste. Also, the audio in Spanish is still not good. Do they sell 15 million of copies just in UK and USA? I don't think so. EA is not taking care of their Spanish customers like it should be. But eh! it is a Anglo, white company.
Yes, it has great animations and it is a very entertaining game, if you just care about that.
Great review, although I don't agree with some parts.
...not to be politically correct, but spaniards are white and EA is not a "white company"; it is an american company with employees from various backgrounds. you must still be in grade school.

# 9 bxphenom7 @ 09/26/14 01:54 PM
Cool review, it's good to know at least soccer games still see competitiveness with PES looking to be great as well. I found it interesting you referred to FIFA as the best series in our genre. Imo, I'd give that to MLB The Show. Just something random that caught my attention lol

# 10 Wiggy @ 09/26/14 02:18 PM
Quote:
quote from review:
"FIFA has been a perfectly enjoyable gameplay experience in the last few years"

This may be where I stopped reading (last years FIFA gameplay involved spamming headers and over the top through balls, and ended up having not much of a gameplay after that, the game was shallow). The gameplay of FIFA is just not that fun (for sim fans). I played the demo and the whole thing was supercharged with players running so fast and passing so fast it was nuts. It may have gotten better but I am still on the fence with FIFA gameplay. This is ALL I care about when it comes to sports games (I don't do FUT, pretty much fut FUT). I want a in depth analysis of the gameplay not a short paragraph saying oh the goalies are better. Anyway just some random thoughts. Don't think I will get it this year, they have seemed to speed it all way up for the casual gamer and have given players super abilitys to turn on a dime while going a hundred miles per hour. Found myself just spamming the turbo button in the Demo and going wherever I wanted. No buildup, no difference in the way I setup getting goals, no satisfaction.
I guess what I was getting at here was that I've found previous FIFA games to have gameplay that I can enjoy on a certain level, especially with humans. This year it's a much better experience, especially on harder sliders.

I wouldn't say the demo gives a great representation of what the game is really like, as it was set to fairly low settings (I believe).

# 11 Turbojugend @ 09/26/14 02:31 PM
Quote:
The gameplay of FIFA is just not that fun (for sim fans).
I always wondered what "sim" means to some sports gamers. Do you want a fully-simulated game within the game? Because you can't truly sim the pace and flow of a football match unless you're playing a full 90 minutes, in which case no thanks. I'll keep my arcade game.

# 12 DBMcGee3 @ 09/26/14 02:42 PM
Great review. I've had nothing but fun with the demo, and hope to be receiving my rental in the mail today. While some of the player models could use some work (someone please tell me they've updated Ozil and Pirlo), I've found the graphics and presentation to be top notch for the most part, and the added GK animations really bring a lot to the game. More than anything, as mentioned, the goal variety is much better this year, mainly because of better keepers and less cheesy headers. While I find that PES is ahead of FIFA in several areas regarding gameplay, I was very surprised to be getting greater goal variety from FIFA this year.

Really excited to watch some Premier league tomorrow morning and then dive right into some FIFA.

# 13 dmendenhall_9 @ 09/26/14 04:14 PM
I obviously don't mean a game that takes 90 minutes but feels and plays "like soccer." Where I have to build up play, use support, in other words do things that happen in real soccer games. I just want the feeling of playing an actual soccer game. I guess some people feel it has this but I just do not. A great example of a fun "sim" game was NFL 2K5. Felt like football but still was fun.

I just find this years FIFA to be soooo fast. For most this is great, I just don't love the feel of it. I don't love that you can be going full speed with a player and still be able to dodge other defenders with ease. I want the speed burst to be a risk/reward. Yes you can go faster but you are more vulnerable to defenders. Wasn't feeling those kind of aspects this year.

# 14 Turbojugend @ 09/26/14 04:20 PM
Try Orion's sliders, I found they give the game a slower, more deliberate feel. It still may not be perfect but at least the tempo might be more to your liking. Not to mention the CPU actually makes passing errors.

# 15 dmendenhall_9 @ 09/26/14 04:25 PM
thanks. I shall give them a try. The overall package is nice but I actually like the pace of FIFA 14 much more. One other thing no one has said is how jerky the turbo animation is. The play doesn't feel smooth, doesn't feel like the beautiful game. just herkin and jerkin everywhere.

# 16 kerosene31 @ 09/26/14 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy
I wouldn't say the demo gives a great representation of what the game is really like, as it was set to fairly low settings (I believe).
I hated the 15 demo this year. This is the first year where the demo changed my mind from pre-ordering to not buying.

I waited to read player opinions and of course the review here before buying today. There's always differences between demos and the final game, but this year is a huge difference. In the demo the difficulties were just all over the place (I got ripped in pro on the demo with a superior team).

People really need to ignore this year's demo. I won't rehash all the demo issues, other than to say the final game is much more refined.

# 17 drjohnnyboy @ 09/26/14 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
I hated the 15 demo this year. This is the first year where the demo changed my mind from pre-ordering to not buying.

I waited to read player opinions and of course the review here before buying today. There's always differences between demos and the final game, but this year is a huge difference. In the demo the difficulties were just all over the place (I got ripped in pro on the demo with a superior team).

People really need to ignore this year's demo. I won't rehash all the demo issues, other than to say the final game is much more refined.
I agree completely

# 18 ps3veron @ 09/26/14 05:08 PM
Great review! Except for the server part or maybe I am just having trouble on the ps4?!

# 19 Blublub @ 09/26/14 06:24 PM
Sigh. The review glosses over lot of pretty big problems introduced this year. The removal of anti-aliasing on next-gen, the over-emphasis on attacking over defending and the wonky keeper AI (super-keepers from mid-range but yet brain-dead zombies with one-on-ones) just to name a few. If these things can be fixed/adjusted in future patches it could very well be a"9" title, but given the current state I think the community consensus is something much lower, at least when compared to FIFA 14 NG. Don't get me wrong - it does do a lot right, like toning down lofted through balls and fixing CPU fouling, but the niggling problems are things that should be easy enough to fix if EA is held accountable...

# 20 Osbourne @ 09/26/14 06:41 PM
ISS/Winning Eleven 2002 ps1, Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution ps2, Fifa 10 / WC 2010 ps3/xbox360. THe games that were real revolution considering football simulatons. Everything else is pretty much not worth mentioning at all (PES 6 and Fifa 12 are ridiculously overrated).

Since EA left behind fantastic NG engine which had amazing animations and great ball control physics with real 360 movement and invented "impact" engine which they now are trying to convert to "ignite", FIFA lost it's connection with real football. Imact/ignite engine fails to bring that natural feel like it is actually a game of football although they are really trying,,, This year the ball physics for shooting is amazing, but when u look at ball control and passing, the old impact engine problems are still there... Passing and runing animations are just not natural and it is a game killer for every real football fan.

Konami on the other side, since ps1 and ps2 games mentioned at the begining of my post, didn't do anything good. PES 6 and everything else Konami did after that was simply ********, i cannot describe how awful physycis and animations were, that basic feel of football was simply not existing in their games. Fox enigne last year changed that, but PES 14 was not finished, it was full of bugs and ******** AI, the game was unplayable. PES 15 is finished and playable PES 14, but there is only slight improvement of animations and shooting ball physics, and I expected they will finally make a hard effort about their game and complete one. I guess that may happen in 5 years, maybe... But Fox engine has the potential, noone can doubt that.

So in year 2014-2015, we still can't get a football game which has real life animations and physics? WTF?

Football/soccer is not like american football (which I am a big big fan) or hockey, you cannot have the same aproach to this simulation because there is much more finesse things you have to worry about and deliver it the right way... This is what I'm talking about, this is real football: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.