Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 AM   #17
All Star
 
EnglishBull34's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,974
Re: The All-Underused Team

I think you guys are holding out because you don't want to share your secrets ;-) I'm going to put a couple more out there. Jan Stenerud. He can totally negate a return game. I played using him against my brother, and he can put it eight yards deep if you get your timing right. And his kicks are noticeably stronger than Jaeger's. He makes 45-yarders look like extra points, and I just barely missed a 60-yarder with him. Most won't give up a a silver star for him, but if you do, and you're the type who winds up having to kick a few FGs, then I'd say he'd be worth trying out.

I was bi-curious about Lenny Moore, and it turns out that he's bi-functional at WR and HB, as he was IRL (and I don't want to hear cheese; if they played it IRL, and can do it on the game, then that's fine by me). I kept him at WR most of the time, but put him in on a counter play and a stretch play, and he showed some scoot. You wouldn't want to do it every play, I don't think, but a little bit doesn't hurt since he's got the ability and can bring a change of pace to a more power-oriented back.
EnglishBull34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Oct 2002
Re: The All-Underused Team

Ickey is a lot of fun to use at HB. Try it sometime. Also want to agree on Bednarik -- he's like the Chris Warren of LBs. Both guys have like one special attribute, but on the field, they're both good at everything.

I mentioned this in another thread, but try Bill Curry at center. Maybe it's the leadership ability, but he seems to make my O-line play much better (um, given how overpowering O-lines are, maybe that's a bad thing).

Also, I've never seen anyone use Lee Roy Selmon at DE ... the CPU Selmon just tears me up on passing downs, he's in the QB's face in about two seconds, seriously. He's the only defensive player I actually fear in this game.

Like Dave Kreig as a bronze QB -- his passes have a lot of zip. One caveat: he doesn't seem as fumble prone as the real Krieg, but if he's hit while passing, the ball ALWAYS goes RIGHT to a defender. It's as if he was programmed that way, try it out in practice, it's pretty comical.
maskedmarvel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #19
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Nov 2002
Re: The All-Underused Team

I seem to do *really* well with Greg Landry - I like him....Wes Walker is great WR. Gets deep, returns kick and can catch the possession routes and sideliners with aplumb....Dwight Clark is money...The one player who never gets mentioned who I use as much as I can is Charley Taylor - Gosh, he is great - Returns kicks, super fast and never has dropped a ball ever for me...

I love Billy Sims, Curt Warner & Ottis Anderson as Silver backs....Brookshier is underrated as CB but Albert Lewis is the man.....Bob Lilly is amazing at DT....

Billy Jo Dupree is simply the best player never mentioned....Can get deep, catches everything and is like Earl Campbell in the open field - He is a silver Mike Ditka.....
Lorax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
All Star
 
EnglishBull34's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,974
Re: The All-Underused Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmarvel
Ickey is a lot of fun to use at HB. Try it sometime. Also want to agree on Bednarik -- he's like the Chris Warren of LBs. Both guys have like one special attribute, but on the field, they're both good at everything.

I mentioned this in another thread, but try Bill Curry at center. Maybe it's the leadership ability, but he seems to make my O-line play much better (um, given how overpowering O-lines are, maybe that's a bad thing).

Also, I've never seen anyone use Lee Roy Selmon at DE ... the CPU Selmon just tears me up on passing downs, he's in the QB's face in about two seconds, seriously. He's the only defensive player I actually fear in this game.

Like Dave Kreig as a bronze QB -- his passes have a lot of zip. One caveat: he doesn't seem as fumble prone as the real Krieg, but if he's hit while passing, the ball ALWAYS goes RIGHT to a defender. It's as if he was programmed that way, try it out in practice, it's pretty comical.
I was actually holding out on mentioning Selmon, to call my own bluff. I used him for the first time last night, and was blown away. I'd always wanted to see what he can do because folks typically opt for White and Jones at that position, but his swim move is sickening and his closing burst is nuts. I can't wait till my bro gets back from vacation so I can make him cry with my new d-line. He thought Jerome Brown and Dexter Manley were bad! Wait till he sees Selmon and his new partners in crime.

I switched from Wisnewski to Curry as my one legend-leader on the o-line, and I thought I noticed a jump in production as well. I think it helps to have a guy at that position for stunts, as generic centers can whiff on the DE at times.

Charlie Taylor is also someone I've just started looking at (like last night). I think Bobby Mitchell is faster as a KR, but he seems to tire more easily, and Taylor seems to be one of those few receivers who are consistently good at all the routes. I've been wanting a guy who can get deep a bit but who also can get position and run the short drags without cringing or dropping balls in traffic, and they're harder to find than I'd originally though. Thanks for the tip on Wes Welker.

Thanks also on the Ickey tip; I've tried and loved Joe Perry, but I imagine Ickey is a totally different back. It's a shame you can't pair him with James Woods and Boomer. Does anyone remember Woods? Loved that guy. And David Fulcher? It'd be nice to have another option than Joey Browner for the bone-cruncher S, but I digress.

I've said this elsewhere, but I don't see enough Cliff Harris online. He doesn't have the ballhawk ability, but he plays the ball very well, and he just flat doesn't miss tackles in the open field. People tend to prefer to go with corners in this game, but he can do some great things. Willie Wood, on the ohter hand, has played like crap for me. He's made terrible plays on the ball in two consecutive games, leading to big plays, and isn't as fast as a KR as I'd have hoped. Maybe it's just how I'm utilizing him.

Anyways, good stuff, guys, so keep it coming. And Lorax, since I teach college English, I love that you used "aplomb" That's why I post on this board!
EnglishBull34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #21
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Nov 2002
Re: The All-Underused Team

yeah, but I spelled it wrong - cant type as fast I think *sigh*.....Anyways, Cliff Harris drives me freaking nuts - I hate him....I think that should be a sign to try him.....Cant beat 'em, join 'em.....I will have to try Selmon with my DL of Doom team.....I love the loaded DL more than anything - I really see the difference in the overall defenseive play when I have them.....

Oh yeah, Dave Wilcox - He used to drive me crazy, I would try to run to the strong side off tackle and he would STILL make the play....So I tried him and he just rules the field. He makes plays everywhere. I put him and Derrick Thomas together and it has been pretty amazing....But I would have to put Dave Wilcox in that underused team, because I do think he is better than Thomas.
Lorax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
All Star
 
EnglishBull34's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,974
Re: The All-Underused Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorax
yeah, but I spelled it wrong - cant type as fast I think *sigh*.....Anyways, Cliff Harris drives me freaking nuts - I hate him....I think that should be a sign to try him.....Cant beat 'em, join 'em.....I will have to try Selmon with my DL of Doom team.....I love the loaded DL more than anything - I really see the difference in the overall defenseive play when I have them.....

Oh yeah, Dave Wilcox - He used to drive me crazy, I would try to run to the strong side off tackle and he would STILL make the play....So I tried him and he just rules the field. He makes plays everywhere. I put him and Derrick Thomas together and it has been pretty amazing....But I would have to put Dave Wilcox in that underused team, because I do think he is better than Thomas.
Well, spelling doesn't count as much for thought here, as we're all typing from work and trying to get things off quickly. It's the only time in my life where I think effort counts more than execution, so no harm done.

I've just put together a DL of Doom team, and Selmon is definitely on it. Unless the opponent is equally stacked, they're f*****. Good DL can help nullify the run better than LBs, I think, and the kinds of pressure they can create can force a lot of bad decisions and quick reads, which can, in turn, mask the lack of legends in the back seven.

I tried Wilcox a while ago, but I'll have to go back to him. He's definitely underused online, but he's got a nice skill set.
EnglishBull34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #23
Farewell and 'ado
 
DocHolliday's Arena
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,482
Re: The All-Underused Team

Jimmy Harbaugh has been quite good at QB for me. Usually post like a 120 QB rating with him.

He has some wheels too
DocHolliday is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #24
All Star
 
EnglishBull34's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,974
Re: The All-Underused Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Jimmy Harbaugh has been quite good at QB for me. Usually post like a 120 QB rating with him.

He has some wheels too
Just had a win with Jimmy--he threw two really nice balls between multiple defenders to Charlie Taylor, one of which was with a huge blitz coming and guys in his face. That last play went for a long score and blew it open. And that wasn't even with his "laser arm" charged up!
EnglishBull34 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K > APF 2K Rosters »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Top -