Home

2012 Recruiting Thread

This is a discussion on 2012 Recruiting Thread within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #1481
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I wasn't even talking about USC; I was talking about the coaching profession in general and saying that Kiffin seems to be a clueless outlier if he did in fact send the text before the player committed.
So why even talk about closing practices to the media, or banning players from twitter then. If Kiffin didn't do either of these then how does it fit into your argument. Oh that's right, it doesn't....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #1482
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

OVR: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
but, but, but....I thought he was lower then scum or something in SEC land...
I have literally never said this........I didn't partake in the mattress burning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #1483
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
So why even talk about closing practices to the media, or banning players from twitter then. If Kiffin didn't do either of these then how does it fit into your argument. Oh that's right, it doesn't....
Okay, let me break it down for you with numbers:

1) Coaches in general are superstitious and paranoid. This is evidenced by the fact that they do stuff like ban Twitter and close practices to the media, and generally try to be as secretive as possible.

2) Coaches do this partially to avoid NCAA violations. The NCAA rulebook is very complicated and sometimes you can commit a violation without even knowing it. Nonetheless, coaches still know the rulebook quite well and something like commenting on a player that hasn't signed his letter is pretty clear.

3) Kiffin sends a text message to a media member, possibly related to a player that has yet to sign his letter, and possibly expects said text message to be kept off-the-record (which you should never expect with the media). Compared to what most coaches do and their general knowledge of the NCAA rulebook as outlined in (1) and (2), Kiffin is clueless and should just follow normal college coaching convention in keeping things secret.

There, happy?
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #1484
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
I have literally never said this........I didn't partake in the mattress burning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
that's awesome thanks for the laugh man...

Oh and the post wasn't directed at you, just the general sentiment of Kiffin in SEC land...

Last edited by spyder_DG; 02-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #1485
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

Quote:
Okay, let me break it down for you with numbers:

1) Coaches in general are superstitious and paranoid. This is evidenced by the fact that they do stuff like ban Twitter and close practices to the media, and generally try to be as secretive as possible.

2) Coaches do this partially to avoid NCAA violations. The NCAA rulebook is very complicated and sometimes you can commit a violation without even knowing it. Nonetheless, coaches still know the rulebook quite well and something like commenting on a player that hasn't signed his letter is pretty clear.

3) Kiffin sends a text message to a media member, possibly related to a player that has yet to sign his letter, and possibly expects said text message to be kept off-the-record (which you should never expect with the media). Compared to what most coaches do and their general knowledge of the NCAA rulebook as outlined in (1) and (2), Kiffin is clueless and should just follow normal college coaching convention in keeping things secret.

There, happy?
Yea I understand all of that. The problem is, point one doesn't apply to CLFK, which makes point two partially invalid. Also, the rule book specifically states an institution or coach may not publically comment about a potential recruit. So now are we to believe a text sent in private from a coach to a reporter that he has a working relationship with is a public comment? I certainly don't....

Oh and where's the article about Urban Meyer? He referenced Neal on the ESPNU telecast yesterday. Oh but nobody cares about Saint Urban....

Last edited by spyder_DG; 02-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #1486
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
I think almost every school in the Big Ten is doing this. A lot of schools are doing it; the multi-year scholarship thing is clearly aimed at schools that over-sign.
The Big 10 definitely led the way in terms of going with 4 year schollies.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #1487
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...shows-up-Saban

Even trying to be from a non-biased perspective (pretty hard though) yanking Philon's offer was one of the biggest scumbag recruiting moves I've ever heard of. What kind of a grown man puts an 18 year old in that kind of situation? The guy sure can coach and win games, but I don't know how anyone, Alabama fans included, can think that some of his recruiting practices are morally right.

Just watch this video, he looks lost.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...us_phil_1.html

Last edited by auburntigersfan; 02-02-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #1488
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

If anyone wants to know the full story on Kyle Dodson's recruitment, shoot me a PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »