Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #425
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'll state it one more time then leave it at that, Madden 2006 for PS3/360 was an admitted bungling, much like the handling of NBA Elite. Both set out to develop something that they realized wouldn't pan out prior to release but Madden was still able to salvage a releasable game, in an exclusive market, whereas NBA Elite would have been released in a directly competitive market. It begs to reason that if the NBA Elite demo had been released in a scenario where EA had a NBA exclusive license, they would have salvaged what they could for a release, like they did with Madden 2006.

Ergo, a clear example of a moment a poor quality Madden was likely able to avoid a NBA Elite style cancellation due to the exclusive license.
Again, not sure how it's relevant. NBA Elite was cancelled because it was broken. Madden 06 was a subpar game, Madden 06 through 08 were poorly designed games, but Madden 06 was never fundamentally broken game necessitating cancellation.

If poor quality absent instability was a factor in EA canceling games, we still wouldn't have seen a release build of Gen-8 NBA Live.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #426
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Again, not sure how it's relevant. NBA Elite was cancelled because it was broken. Madden 06 was a subpar game, Madden 06 through 08 were poorly designed games, but Madden 06 was never fundamentally broken game necessitating cancellation.

If poor quality absent instability was a factor in EA canceling games, we still wouldn't have seen a release build of Gen-8 NBA Live.
The bold is apparently where our disagreement stems from because I think NBA Elite didn't release for the same reason EA felt the need to rebrand NBA Live in the first place, it couldn't compete with NBA2k. NBA Live wasn't "broken" yet they decided to create NBA Elite because of competition.

As far as EA choosing to release NBA Live for PS4/Xbox1 in spite of its' poor quality, I presume they believed it could compete off of nostalgia, NBA branding and offering something different than the competition but they were wrong. Turns out that those things don't override poor quality when consumers have direct choices.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #427
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

This was in madden 09. Imo, the glitch does make the game fundamentally broken. It's just as bad as the infamous half court Jesus vid.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=b3mLy78Jw8w

No quality alternative like Elite had made all the difference here.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #428
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

The sales on NBA live were down the entire generation because they kept starting over and not enough people bought that junk. They developed the bad reputation they have. They didn't get it from 2k...make no mistake EA screwed EA. They lost their own loyal fans in the process.

People like good games regardless of company. So Many People Loved live 10. Ot introduced stuff 2k didnt have like the authentic play calling system the pick and roll mechanic among other thinga but they decided it wasn't enough for them and put the hockey guy on the project and bam.

They didn't listen to their fans and lost all of them. Not just because of competition but years of incompetence.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #429
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This was in madden 09. Imo, the glitch does make the game fundamentally broken. It's just as bad as the infamous half court Jesus vid.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=b3mLy78Jw8w

No quality alternative like Elite had made all the difference here.
That video didn't take me anywhere.

I get my versions mixed up, I thought 09 was a bad game, and had a ton of weird bugs, but broken? As in broken enough to not ship? That I don't remember.

What was the video of?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #430
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
The sales on NBA live were down the entire generation because they kept starting over and not enough people bought that junk. They developed the bad reputation they have. They didn't get it from 2k...make no mistake EA screwed EA. They lost their own loyal fans in the process.

People like good games regardless of company. So Many People Loved live 10. Ot introduced stuff 2k didnt have like the authentic play calling system the pick and roll mechanic among other thinga but they decided it wasn't enough for them and put the hockey guy on the project and bam.

They didn't listen to their fans and lost all of them. Not just because of competition but years of incompetence.
Was Live 10 the one that introduced the DNA stuff, and the mode where you could play any game on the schedule with the players DNA from that day?

I loved that version, then they seemed to abandon all the things that made that version of Live appealing and I simply never went back. I can't imagine a time i the near future where I even think of buying an EA NBA game.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #431
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

I don't necessarily disagree with this line of thought but the key part you failed to mention is that those NBA game fans had a direct video game alternative. In this exclusive market fans can be disgruntled with EA all they want, it doesn't change the fact that they have no other direct NFL video game choice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #432
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That video didn't take me anywhere.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »