Home

Madden's future of CFM is alarming

This is a discussion on Madden's future of CFM is alarming within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #113
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
Narrative is exactly what we need. You can put in all the lists of deep features you want, but the issue with Franchise Mode will still remain: It's boring, dull, and lifeless.

We follow the NFL, not only because it's home to the best football players in the world, but also because of all the storylines.
I don't want a forced story, like Devin Wade.

It's the difference between a linear video game vs an open world sandbox game. I want my NFL franchise to be more about my story, not a predetermined linear story about a forced fictional Devin Wade character (or whatever the longshot name is).

I gave your post a like because I agree with you. My post is in addition to what you posted, not against what you posted.

Last edited by bucky60; 09-13-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #114
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Yeah both. But do you really think we will get both in one dev cycle?

We know better.

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
You're right on the money with this Armor, however, aren't we past one dev cycle at this point? How many years have users from OS been hoping,screaming maybe even praying for CFM to make a leap forward? 5 years? 10 years? It's no longer an excuse of this being one dev cycle when they've had many years to get it right and still come up way short.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #115
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx
You're right on the money with this Armor, however, aren't we past one dev cycle at this point? How many years have users from OS been hoping,screaming maybe even praying for CFM to make a leap forward? 5 years? 10 years? It's no longer an excuse of this being one dev cycle when they've had many years to get it right and still come up way short.

I agree 100%

Sent from Palm Trees and Paradise using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #116
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I don't want a forced story, like Devin Wade.

It's the difference between a linear video game vs an open world sandbox game. I want my NFL franchise to be more about my story, not a predetermined linear story about a forced fictional Devin Wade character (or whatever the longshot name is).

I gave your post a like because I agree with you. My post is in addition to what you posted, not against what you posted.
Right, I knew folks would think I'm talking about having something like Longshot be Franchise Mode, but that's not at all what I meant. I'd hate that just as much as anyone, that's why I added:

"And I don't mean narrative as in it forces pre-made stories onto us, but organic narrative: stories that trigger and evolve based on what we do."

Basically, what I'm getting at is that the system needs to remember things and talk about them when relevant, not just in commentary, but on the front page of the menu system, and not just a little white box, but something that pops more. Deuce has done a fantastic job of showing what's possible in his weekly mockups.

Maybe "context" is a safer word to use than "narrative", so that folks don't think I'm talking about a solo career-mode story. Just need those storylines to be presented in an appealing way, that way franchise can be interesting from season to season, whether you're struggling to win or you've won your 4th Super Bowl in a row.

A living, breathing world. A reason to keep playing.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #117
Rookie

The biggest problem I have with the current state of CFM is how rigged against the player it's become. Even with a stacked team, every game feels like I'm meant to lose. If I dominate, I'm inevitably screwed over every single time. This game is supposed to be fun and I haven't felt that a single time this year.

I'm not sure if I need a nice set of sliders or I should give up on trying to play. I used coach mode in NCAA and had way more fun. At this point, I'm very disappointed in myself for believing the game would be better and shelling out $80 for it. I won't be making the same mistake next year unless they make considerable changes. This year was clearly meant to push Longshot and nothing else.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #118
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
Also, as a side, I can't believe I'm still hearing people say that Franchise Mode "just works." There's plenty of evidence to show that there are several things in it that don't work, from scheduling, to formation subs, to XP costs not displaying correctly, to stats not displaying at all, and on and on.
The bar has been set so low that people have been accustomed to something working in the most literal sense possible being good enough. People are happy that the AI even re-signs its players or that we can make trades but don't care that guys like Matt Stafford sign contracts for over 10 million per year less than what we're actually seeing in real life or that it takes all of five minutes upon entering CFM to trade scraps for Aaron Rodgers. Practice squads are there and again "work" in the most literal sense but even the most basic rules of them aren't respected. I could literally go on and on and on.

This is exactly why we're at where we're at right now and it has nothing to do with offline vs. online either and everything to do with people's willingness to not only accept the absolute bare minimum when it comes to features and mechanics but also willingly ignore any flaws within them.

Last edited by DeuceDouglas; 09-13-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #119
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas

This is exactly why we're at where we're at right now and it has nothing to do with offline vs. online either.

i second this ,while i do get there are things for offline that needs much attention , like trade logic for cpu, cpu logic in playcalling and many other areas. As someone on only plays this game in an online league, i can safely say online leagues do not feel like much attention is paid to us either. Yes draft boards we got this year with a tiny bit of logic to it, but thats all and each year just seems like they are so out of touch with what the modes needs , despite so many passionately stating it here and other places , for the past 10 years. So at this point , i dunno what else to do. 10 years worth of giving them info and them not delivering .... i just dont know anymore

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 09-13-2017, 03:23 PM   #120
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
The bar has been set so low that people have been accustomed to something working in the most literal sense possible being good enough. People are happy that the AI even re-signs its players or that we can make trades but don't care that guys like Matt Stafford sign contracts for over 10 million per year less than what we're actually seeing in real life or that it takes all of five minutes upon entering CFM to trade scraps for Aaron Rodgers. Practice squads are there and again "work" in the most literal sense but even the most basic rules of them aren't respected. I could literally go on and on and on.

This is exactly why we're at where we're at right now and it has nothing to do with offline vs. online either and everything to do with people's willingness to not only accept the absolute bare minimum when it comes to features and mechanics but also willingly ignore any flaws within them.

It has never been about online versus offline. It is about solo players versus league play in many senses though. They have dumbed franchise down to make it easier for league play and have not done anything for solo players in years. That is why they largely ignore ai issues. In their opinion we should be happy they haven't taken it out altogether.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »