Home

Run/Pass commit under threat

This is a discussion on Run/Pass commit under threat within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Run/Pass commit under threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
There are some good points made in here. I suppose my concern is the erosion of sim type features that aren't replaced. If they added something that was superior then fine but I've lost confidence in that happening.

I agree in principle with the sentiment without a doubt but I think it is debatable if this is truly a "sim" feature versus an "arcade" feature.

To be blunt, I would rather fight other battles on the sim vs arcade features. We aren't going to win them all, if we have to concede on things as a community, this is one that I personally would choose.

Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy
What's the point? Trying to play defense is useless, anyway. Maybe we should be talking about people being stripped of jobs rather than features being stripped.

playing D in this years game is fun, i've had plenty of defensive success. to each their own.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #11
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Would mind seeing it go. It really isn’t a sim feature. However, it would be nice to be able to have a setting to have defenders stay home vs play action which is more realistic.

I also which they would make it easier to access the coaching adjustments like ncaa 14. It’s cumbersome and slow right now. And why does the text need to be so big that I have to scroll.

2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
Would mind seeing it go. It really isn’t a sim feature. However, it would be nice to be able to have a setting to have defenders stay home vs play action which is more realistic.
I agree on that.

A binary Run/Pass focus to have the LBs/DBs ignore the Play Action or Draw (or at least increase their chances of doing so) on the so called "Passing Down" or "Running Down" respectively, would it seems to me, be a better mechanic. Run Commit, as it is designed does seem a bit unrealistic; combined with some anti-run blitz, it is almost of a "double run commit" (and, again, the AI does not use it).
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #13
Rookie

VTWiseGuy's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon2 Re: Run/Pass commit under threat

Used to it you could do it when the ball was snapped and you could make the right read by seeing what was going on. This having to guess is causing some big plays to happen.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
I agree on that.

A binary Run/Pass focus to have the LBs/DBs ignore the Play Action or Draw (or at least increase their chances of doing so) on the so called "Passing Down" or "Running Down" respectively, would it seems to me, be a better mechanic. Run Commit, as it is designed does seem a bit unrealistic; combined with some anti-run blitz, it is almost of a "double run commit" (and, again, the AI does not use it).

Yeah, overall there need to be way more defenses in the game. More blitzes, double teams, and ways to hide coverage.

2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I agree in principle with the sentiment without a doubt but I think it is debatable if this is truly a "sim" feature versus an "arcade" feature.

To be blunt, I would rather fight other battles on the sim vs arcade features. We aren't going to win them all, if we have to concede on things as a community, this is one that I personally would choose.

Just my two cents...

We don't have to concede anything.

They'll just take away whatever they want.

With no promise of replacing it with something better, if anything at all.

Just wait tho.. when M20 drops and the "New Feature" is being able to commit to the pass or run...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I wouldn't cry if they removed it (to be honest, I would probably cheer as it would free-up addition controls for different functionality). The way it is currently configured, it is really a vestigial feature from the older generations. The CPU can't use the functionality and it artifically overrides/boosts ratings (particularly the play recognition). It is sort of like a 'guess pitch' feature in a baseball game. You are already guessing the pitch by choosing whether to swing or miss; the function just adds another boost on top of how you guess (which in many cases, the CPU again does not get)....

Clint (an ex-player) has said repeatedly that there is no real-life comparison to this. I can't confirm nor deny that as I never played in real-life. But, 'selling-out' for run or pass is just as easily accomplished in Madden by your play calling skills (or lack thereof).
I wouldn't mind seeing it gone either, but it seems to me like the CPU does use it now. Post patch I've had several runs where my line has just pancaked the whole CPU line right into the ground. I thought it was a bug at first until I saw the Twitter discussion about R/P commit. The CPU has to be using it on occasion, IMO.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »