Home

Run/Pass commit under threat

This is a discussion on Run/Pass commit under threat within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
NBA 2K25 Cover Athletes - Jayson Tatum, A'ja Wilson and Vince Carter
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive and Analysis
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games

Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Run/Pass commit under threat

Guess I'd rather it stay, but I would not be upset if it leaves.

It is not a sim feature, the sim way to handle it is each player's PRC and situational awareness.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Weird that the competitive crowd is asking for its removal. It's there for the competitive crowd. It's a decidedly non-sim feature. I'd just as soon see it gone.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #19
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I was surprised to learn yesterday that the Run / Pass Commit features actually do alter defender run fit assignments to some extent, so it's not quite as unrealistic as it used to be in the past where it was just "crash down", "crash left", or "crash right".

That said, the commit left / right still make your LBs all take like three steps to that direction before they perform their assignment, so it's still a bit weird and a bit of a relic from past Madden games where the defense was far less authentic than it is now.

I'm indifferent about Run / Pass Commit's removal, to be honest. I do think the idea posed earlier in this thread of a Coaching Adjustment as to how one's linebackers and safeties make their post-snap initial reads is a good idea for a replacement mechanic.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I was surprised to learn yesterday that the Run / Pass Commit features actually do alter defender run fit assignments to some extent, so it's not quite as unrealistic as it used to be in the past where it was just "crash down", "crash left", or "crash right".

That said, the commit left / right still make your LBs all take like three steps to that direction before they perform their assignment, so it's still a bit weird and a bit of a relic from past Madden games where the defense was far less authentic than it is now.

I'm indifferent about Run / Pass Commit's removal, to be honest. I do think the idea posed earlier in this thread of a Coaching Adjustment as to how one's linebackers and safeties make their post-snap initial reads is a good idea for a replacement mechanic.
Agreed, but I would like for it not to completely overturn player ratings. I think the way it is right now I can have players with PRC in the 60s but if I pass commit they 100% of the time will not bite on the playfake.

Ideally a coach adjustment will modify the % chance, but player ratings still need to matter.

But I guess it depends on the exact nature of the adjustment. If it is something like a overall philosophy of playing the run first vs the pass, player ratings should matter more. If it is a coach adjustment meant to be used situationally then ratings would matter less.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 20

i don't recall sim players caring too much for this feature either tbh. never used it much myself.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

In my experience, like many aspects in the game, there's no balance. Example: say I commit to the run, but it winds up being a pass. The cornerback and everyone else assigned to a man/zone will abandon their assignment to go blitz. It'd be something if they just shifted forward towards the line, but no, they blow their covers unrealistically. I was watching the PHI/CAR game a few days ago and when PHI showed a run formation, the secondary crept up. They didn't crash the line once the ball was snapped, though.

The opposite happens when you pass commit. The secondary and LB back so far off the line it's as though they're prepping for a Hail Mary. Even when it *is* a pass, routes that go into their zones are still cheese because they're so far off the ball.

I don't care how many features they add/subtract. I just want a decently realistic football game, but at this point, it seems like too much to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 1

as an offline coach sim mode player only i want the commit
no way do i want anyone watching the run/draw when ive got them on 3rd and long ie 3rd and 10+
i can live with the few times they run a run/draw play in those situations and succeed
Old 10-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Agreed, but I would like for it not to completely overturn player ratings. I think the way it is right now I can have players with PRC in the 60s but if I pass commit they 100% of the time will not bite on the playfake.

Ideally a coach adjustment will modify the % chance, but player ratings still need to matter.

But I guess it depends on the exact nature of the adjustment. If it is something like a overall philosophy of playing the run first vs the pass, player ratings should matter more. If it is a coach adjustment meant to be used situationally then ratings would matter less.
As with most coach adjustments i would like the players to have a corresponding trait of how they tend to play. Some already do and balanced should make them play to their trait. For instance at balanced the secondary players that have the aggressive trait should play aggressive and conservative should play conservative.

Constantly asking players to play against their trait should affect morale/chemistry/confidence. Some defensive linemen are aggresive pass rushers by nature and are much more likely to cheat on their run stopping duties to go after the qb. I would love to see a trait like that in the game and if you constantly tell that guy to be conservative he would get mad and be hard to resign. These things woud make cfm more enjoyable and make in game coach adjustments mean something in that i lf you just set your oline to aggressive the whole game it would make some players mad. Each player should have a trait in my exaple of either more likely to read run, pass or balanced. Like you said it has to be a game of percentages. The coach adjustment woud be similar to the coach or defensive captain telling a rookie to nite bite on play action or watch out for the draw. I also thknk screens should be considered runs for this adjustment.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »