Home

Does madden want a realistic game?

This is a discussion on Does madden want a realistic game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #121
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Does madden want a realistic game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
They want whatever their hardcore online players want.

And that is the trend of the big three sports games. (NBA, MLB, NFL).

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Call me naive, but I don't believe Rex and Clint are happy with how tourney games play out. I don't think they are thrilled with the number of plays used in those games for example.

I think they want to gently push them in another direction. Is that direction realism? Not quite, I get the impression that they want tourney games to be highlight fests with guys showing off sick stick skills instead of what we have now.

I wish someone would break into EA and 2k offices to steal internal documents relating to Madden and NBA 2k. Madden team tells us they couldn't do much with franchise because of Longshot taking resources away. Meanwhile each year 2k rewrites and redesigns the myplayer story while still having time to make significant additions to ML and myGM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This was posted in the MLB forum, if you haven't heard, 3 weeks before the game comes out, they decided to take out online franchise mode.

Rightfully so, people are really upset it was taken out, even people that don't even play online.

This post could fit into a lot of similar post in the Madden forum:

I couldn't careless about online franchise but i don't buy their argument for leaving it out. Priority is and will always be DD and their micro transactions. Remember, out of franchise, RTTS, and DD, they chose DD to overhaul first and every year they will continue to work on it while franchise will get small changes until they are finished with it. Hopefully by then EA or 2K brings back MLB cause I'm ready to move on from Matt V and this game.
Not to go further down the off topic rabbit hole, but I don't understand why MLB The Show gets such a pass for the state of their franchise mode. When was the last time meaningful new features were added? Remember the move to PS4 and the thought that create a stadium was right around the corner?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #122
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz
I think it's the suits. You've got the core game, modes tied to the core that generate revenue from whales, modes tied to the core that don't attract whales. I know where I'd be investing my development money if I was a suit and wanted to impress the higher ups.... and it ain't paying somebody to translate the CBA to figure out how to make restricted free agency work in offline CFM. I'd love to see it... but it is what it is.

As far as the older legacy franchise modes.... Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be... but the CPU still progresses players the way it always did... at least the way I remember from the PS2/PC days from 10+ years ago. If your guy had a good potential rating and a good season, his OVR went up... typically from AWR boosts. (I know there was the potential rating on the PC versions, not sure if that was on the consoles or not. Most of my old school play was on PC before it was axed). I don't recall base physical attributes getting bumped... or even stuff like SAC/MAC/DAC or MCV/ZCV all that often. If you leave the CPU to it's own devices with the XP system, players get the same basic results as they move from season to season... mental boosts leading to OVR rising. I don't see a big practical change.
I agree the main focus is UT and I understand it but I definitely don't like it. As far as the old system, I think it needed a huge improvement or reinventing but they replaced a mediocre system with a bad system. Instead of moving up from horses to the Model T they replaced the horses with elephants.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #123
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Call me naive, but I don't believe Rex and Clint are happy with how tourney games play out. I don't think they are thrilled with the number of plays used in those games for example.

I think they want to gently push them in another direction. Is that direction realism? Not quite, I get the impression that they want tourney games to be highlight fests with guys showing off sick stick skills instead of what we have now.

I wish someone would break into EA and 2k offices to steal internal documents relating to Madden and NBA 2k. Madden team tells us they couldn't do much with franchise because of Longshot taking resources away. Meanwhile each year 2k rewrites and redesigns the myplayer story while still having time to make significant additions to ML and myGM.

Not to go further down the off topic rabbit hole, but I don't understand why MLB The Show gets such a pass for the state of their franchise mode. When was the last time meaningful new features were added? Remember the move to PS4 and the thought that create a stadium was right around the corner?
I think the competitive playstyle bothers Clint a little more than Rex, in that Rex has become so enamored with the cult of personality that has developed around the top players and therefore seems more inclined to sacrifice authenticity in some aspect of gameplay to help facilitate brand growth in that space. It's unfortunate that the resources aren't available(too cost/time prohibitive of course) to have complete differentiation of gameplay for sim and comp style. When I see wish lists wanting 100% interception rates for DBs and for wind not to affect kicks, it makes it so clear that many in the comp crowd are flat out enemies of authentic replication of football.

The Czar has mentioned that the management structure of 2K allows for greater(not total) freedom in developing the game they want to make. We all saw how quickly Beluba came back to 2K and then OG followed suit. A couple more million in sales units doesn't hurt with resource allocation either.

One can argue that Madden could sell those kind of units if they had the depth of modes and top shelf presentation that 2K does, but the Madden brass has never been willing to take the risk of going all in support of the core community. Their quixotic quest for drawing in mass numbers of new casual players has been the bane of the franchise players existence.

Since I haven't played The Show in like a decade, I'm neutral about the series, but I feel like the show has been perceived by most as being focused on the sim gameplay, great with the little nuggets of presentation, and of course doesn't have EA as the parent company, so much more slack is given for any missteps. I think this perception is beginning to change though.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #124
MVP

Nunyerbiz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
I agree the main focus is UT and I understand it but I definitely don't like it. As far as the old system, I think it needed a huge improvement or reinventing but they replaced a mediocre system with a bad system. Instead of moving up from horses to the Model T they replaced the horses with elephants.
Well, I think they moved from an old horse to a new horse that does basically the same thing. I just retired a rebuild CFM where I let the CPU do about 90% of my player progression... I'd occasionally step in if I didn't want a blocking TE to waste time on receiving perks, but that was rare. Overall, it seemed to play out like Madden always does. Now granted, that's a sad state of affairs for such a long period of time... but I think it's tread water more than gone backwards. I have another CFM where I do all the progression... and really I spend it about the same way the CPU does. I'm always paranoid about *not* improving AWR when I have the chance.

As far as The Show... I think the inevitable "only game in town / monopoly!" backlash has begun... I don't buy that game every year, but I'm sure like everything else, it's become stagnant in the face of lowered competition and chasing microtransaction whales.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #125
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I think the competitive playstyle bothers Clint a little more than Rex, in that Rex has become so enamored with the cult of personality that has developed around the top players and therefore seems more inclined to sacrifice authenticity in some aspect of gameplay to help facilitate brand growth in that space. It's unfortunate that the resources aren't available(too cost/time prohibitive of course) to have complete differentiation of gameplay for sim and comp style. When I see wish lists wanting 100% interception rates for DBs and for wind not to affect kicks, it makes it so clear that many in the comp crowd are flat out enemies of authentic replication of football.

The Czar has mentioned that the management structure of 2K allows for greater(not total) freedom in developing the game they want to make. We all saw how quickly Beluba came back to 2K and then OG followed suit. A couple more million in sales units doesn't hurt with resource allocation either.

One can argue that Madden could sell those kind of units if they had the depth of modes and top shelf presentation that 2K does, but the Madden brass has never been willing to take the risk of going all in support of the core community. Their quixotic quest for drawing in mass numbers of new casual players has been the bane of the franchise players existence.

Since I haven't played The Show in like a decade, I'm neutral about the series, but I feel like the show has been perceived by most as being focused on the sim gameplay, great with the little nuggets of presentation, and of course doesn't have EA as the parent company, so much more slack is given for any missteps. I think this perception is beginning to change though.
Delete profile and when it reboots select competitive and expert. In CFM, set to sim. This was a game changer for my cpu vs cpu slider set. This hybrid is way more Sim than any other setup ive tried. good penalty numbers as well if you raise them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #126
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyerbiz

As far as The Show... I think the inevitable "only game in town / monopoly!" backlash has begun... I don't buy that game every year, but I'm sure like everything else, it's become stagnant in the face of lowered competition and chasing microtransaction whales.
Plus, announcing taking away online franchise mode this year with 3 weeks for street date didn't help, either. Fell sorry for those that pre-ordered digitally.

I agree GG, not sure why The Show get's a pass, especially when people bring up it has a deep franchise mode. Online franchise hasn't been touched in 3 years.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #127
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

EA seems like a conservative risk adverse company. Maybe its why they are known for buying properties instead of developing their own IPs.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #128
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Plus, announcing taking away online franchise mode this year with 3 weeks for street date didn't help, either. Fell sorry for those that pre-ordered digitally.

I agree GG, not sure why The Show get's a pass, especially when people bring up it has a deep franchise mode. Online franchise hasn't been touched in 3 years.

Because The Show’s gameplay is vastly superior and replicates it’s sport better than any console sports game on the market.

And baseball rules......but I am biased.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »