Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #297
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
not being able to edit batting stances hurts, that's a big miss option if you ask me.

yea that is a huge bug by vc there......

to be honest with you...I love the pitching and batting in this game after i messed with the sliders...but when ball is in play i dont like much else

i can play this game all night with just pitching...lol..
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #298
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

Yea guys this sucks...When you edit rosters there is no batting stance section or deliveries for pitchers

when you create a player you get all the same options as edit player except you get to mess with nose and forehead size and things like that but no batting stance or delivery for pitchers

is not even a section that is greyed out...is just not in the game...

total bummer...

but the game is fun as hell and plays smooth...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 PM   #299
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Guru~
It's not a bug. There won't be a patch for it. People are not understanding the technicalities of video game development. It's obvious the new system they put in place was incompatible with editing batting stances. So rather than try and fix it and running the risk of breaking the whole game code (like 2k7), they just decided it would be best to not let you edit batting stances.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #300
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:

to be honest with you...I love the pitching and batting in this game after i messed with the sliders...but when ball is in play i dont like much else

i can play this game all night with just pitching...lol..
I don't think its a bug. It sounds more like a design decision. A stupid one if that's the case.

Its not a gamekiller, but it sucks.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #301
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh348
It's not a bug. There won't be a patch for it. People are not understanding the technicalities of video game development. It's obvious the new system they put in place was incompatible with editing batting stances. So rather than try and fix it and running the risk of breaking the whole game code (like 2k7), they just decided it would be best to not let you edit batting stances.
Actually, I retract my last statement. You are probably right about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #302
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
and messing with the ratings for improve pitch taking is not going to work

i just went over the ratings and none are for hitter pitch selection tendency or anything that resembles a hitters patience or take a strike or ball tendency...

Its just unbelievable how there doesn't seem to be any way to correct the AI's patience at the plate. VC's main priority for this upcoming patch should be to fix or tweak this IMO. The pitcher/batter showdown is the most important thing in all of baseball & the opposing batters need to behave more lifelike. The inside edge that's suppose to create this seems to be completely broken. If someone like Manny goes up to bat & starts swinging at every strike, that's just downright absurd.

I'm sorry, I can't get over this blunder by the the VC programmers.

Last edited by ericjwm; 02-27-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #303
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

We'll here are my impressions:

Once the game loads you can see the difference from 2k8 visually. 2k9 look good & runs really smooth. Hitting, Pitching & Fielding look good. You do get some slow down on foul balls to the back stop.

Graphically it's not 2k7 but it's better than last year. The Player Models look great IMO. The Player Faces on the other hand need some work. Some players look spot-on & others look OK.

Played both a Day & Night Game. The Day Game I played looked beautiful. The shadowing is a thing to see. Player Self-Shadowing is in also.

Now to Game Play. The Game Play is better than last year, but is rough around the edges. For some reason Outfielders are taking bad routes on balls in the gaps & on short pop-flies. Maybe it has something to do with Fielder Speed.

The AI is very aggressive @ the plate & without a good explanation of what the NEW Hitting Sliders do it looks like were gonna have to wait & see if the Online Manual gives us some detail like NBA 2K9 or we get some explanation from 2K themselves.

I tried different Slider changes for AI Hitting & I had no luck in getting the CPU to be less aggressive. Also noticed the AI has a hard time hitting breaking stuff.

The AI seems to react properly in certain situations. Bunting when they should. Pitchers sac bunting, Pinch Runners & also Pinch Hitters. They steal, they also squeeze if your not alert.

As for AI Pitching. The AI will work the plate. They will throw balls. You can walk if you are patient. Umpires have variable strike zones which makes hitting a little more of a challenge.

1 thing that's cool is when your pitcher is getting tired the STAMINA & COMPOSURE Bars appear during the pitch selection

I'm not a fan of the softball cursor @ all. I wish they would allow us to turn-it OFF. For me it makes the Pitcher/Batter duel seem arcadish. Hey VC how bout you allow for the Ball Cursor to be removed & bring back the rumble feature as an option.

Speaking of Options let's talk Inside Edge. I'm not a big fan of IE, but I must say the info you get when pulling IE up with the D-PAD is mind-boggling. It's a stat's man heaven. I tried it with a couple of batter's & it seemed pretty good. Really hate that it's tied to Player Ratings this year but I guess I will learn to like it..

Now to HITTING...

The Hit Variety is there for the User & CPU. Like I said before Zone Hitting is a PITA. In 1 game I used it I struck-out 15 times cause I couldn't time moving the Cursor with pulling the stick back & moving it forward. Those looking for a Hitting Challenge this option is for you.

I'm not sure how good the L-Stick is for Influencing hits because I didn't use that option. I will say that you can influence where you want to hit the ball using cursor with the Swing Stick. This is done by pushing the stick in the direction you want the hit to go.

The Swing Animations look good, but not great. The Bat/Ball Physics look better than last year. I won't talk about the Bat Sound. The Swing Message CANNOT be turned-OFF. VC wasn't lying when they said they wanted a Pick-up & Play game..

For me the Batter/Pitcher Interface is pretty good.

Presentation is the Best 2k baseball has ever had even though it's still rough around the edges. The Real-Time Atmosphere is a great change & a step in the right direction. Hopefully 2k will tighten this feature-up in the future. Especially the End Game Stuff because right now it looks really unfinished.

Thorne & Phillips are great together. The commentary flows really well. For some reason hearing this new team makes you feel like your @ that game, compared to John & Joe.

The game has a lot of clipping & players morphing thru each other which sometimes takes away from the experience. Not to emntion VC took out the Take-out slides.

So far I've enjoyed the time I've spent with the game. Honestly would I recommend it to a friend who had a choice to pick-up the "Other" Game probably not, but this time around I wouldn't hesitate to tell them to go rent-it & give it shot, inlike last year where I told my friends to save there $$$$

If somehow we can get the AI to be more discipline @ the plate I'll give MLB 2K9 a 7.5. If we can't get the AI to be more discipline 2 the plate the game gets a 7...
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #304
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I don't think its a bug. It sounds more like a design decision. A stupid one if that's the case.

Its not a gamekiller, but it sucks.

sorry guys i did not mean a bug that can be fixed...

i meant a bugaboo by vc not to make this right when programming...

it might kill the game for some..

but not me...

show is my game but this game will get burn from me

and with the sliders i posted a few pages back

zambrano just threw 21 pitches in the first vs my mets

and i will report back when i pitch my half of the first..

i have improved the cpu take pitch issue a bit...but not much

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »