Home

Boston Red Sox - 2006

This is a discussion on Boston Red Sox - 2006 within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #1873
Banned

GBrushTWood's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

I agree with the sentiment of those not upset with Timlin in the 9th yesterday. Timlin should presumably be able to get through those 2 innings to bridge the game to Papelbon in extra innings. Papelbon is certainly a better option than Timlin, but again, there's no reason Francona shouldn't expect Timlin to get through the 9th without giving up a run.

I also agree with those preaching to conserve Papelbon because we are entering kind of unchartered territory regarding his arm during an MLB season. We don't know how he's going to respond to a 162 game season, and maybe a playoff run. If at all possible, his multi-inning stints should be limited to ensure he stays strong.

The case can certainly be made to use Papelbon in the 9th yesterday, but it is certainly not a trivial or obvious decision. There are merits for both options, and because of that, one can't truly get too upset at Francona for his choice. At least I won't.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #1874
MVP

OVR: 15

I wonder if yesterday's game hurt Manny's chance at a gold glove.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #1875
All Star

OVR: 25

Manny had no chance at a gold glove, and will never win a gold glove.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #1876
MVP

OVR: 15

really?
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield
Old 07-25-2006, 12:33 AM   #1877
MVP

Dispatch's Arena

OVR: 17

Those Oakland fans are pretty annoying, they have drums and blow an air horn when someone on the Sox are about to make a catch. They rank up there with the guy from Tampa Bay.

Top of the 9th, 7-3 Sox. Papelbon is coming in soon so it should be pretty much over giving us the 2nd best record in baseball since the White Sox lost tonight.

Last edited by Dispatch; 07-25-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 AM   #1878
All Star

Zito was able to dance through rain drops at Fenway, but not tonight. Beckett wasn't outstanding but he did give the Sox a quality start. And considering the A's clobberred him last time they were given the chance I'll take it. Hopefully Schilling can dominate tomorrow like he did at Fenway. I don't expect him to be quite that good but another quality start from a Sox starter would be quite nice.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #1879
All Star

Sox out to a quick 2-0 lead tonight. A "long single" by Manny and a sac fly from Nixon scored the runs. I gave Manny a pass on the ball he hit in Seatle, but tonight's should have been a double.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #1880
G-M*nnnn

deeman11747's Arena

OVR: 13

I know he drives in a ton of runs... but how do no Boston fans express their discontent with Manny's lack of hustle?

If he played for the Yankees... he could drive in 200 runs and if he didnt haul *** down the line, he would be booed out of NY.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »