Home
News Post

The NBA Live 09 demo has been released, please download it and post your impressions here.

NBA Live 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA Live 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Da_Czar @ 09/04/08 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
Is anyone else feeling that the DNA really doesn't make the teams play any differently? I played all possible rewind situations as both teams, and the teams still never really played differently. It was still just a bunch of players taking contested fadeaway 3's (and swishing them).. I'm sure the game would be really great against a human player that knows how to play, but the CPU tendencies just doesn't feel different to me and feels like random players are taking random shots whenever they feel froggy. Gasol taking 3's for no reason, Perkins shooting from the top of the arc inside the 3 line, Rondo standing in a corner for 15 seconds only to take a contested J...
Dak there may not be enough time (4min) to notice. I think that over larger time slice you may be able to see it

# 102 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 02:33 PM
I had to get used to the jumpers, it feels a bit early than what I'm used to with 2k. I believe you can see a shot indicator in practice to see exactly when the release is and it's really early from what I'm accustomed to.

# 103 mAiLmAn 502 @ 09/04/08 02:33 PM
i will say this, i was impressed, thats the only way i can put it, the gameplay was nice, i didnt get to use the post much tho cuz demo is mad short, now im kind excited about live365 and dynamic dna. i think i like this

# 104 bigeastbumrush @ 09/04/08 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
I like the play callin system, it is easy to call, and execute the plays.
How do you run a play?

I know how to call it- LB + play button.

Then one spot comes up on the floor but when I go to that spot, it doesn't tell me who I should pass it to.

Help!

# 105 23 @ 09/04/08 02:35 PM
Agreed Czar

Thanks for the answers bigeast...

I hope the jumpers dont feel the same because there werent release points in 08 really outside of the practice gym and it felt similar to what you guys describe. I hate that

# 106 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Dak there may not be enough time (4min) to notice. I think that over larger time slice you may be able to see it
I dunno my man, I played about 15 4 minute games this morning and alternated between the 2 teams, and I seen Kobe take a grand total of 2 shots in the time that I wasn't the Lakers. I've seen more shots by him in the one I'm playing right now than I seen in the whole morning. Fisher is firing at will, doing turnaround J's from WAY downtown with Rondo right up in his grill, I'm controlling Allen or Pierce to try to get some gamble steals because I seen Kobe get a killer one on me in one of my first games and I wanted to see if there were any other cool ones. It was one of those tap the ball on the pass way out in front of you and catch up to it to start the break.

# 107 Vince @ 09/04/08 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Yes and no. Really hard to describe.

I'm a person who likes to have a lot of airtime on my jumpers and then release at the highest point. I had a kickout to Ray Allen and I released it on what I thought was too quick and I drained it. Felt weird, but 'looked' smooth and it went in.

To everyone else, I will say this: If you found ANY enjoyment out of Live 08 (after slider adjustments/rosters/etc.), you will enjoy Live 09 because it is a smoother, more accurate representation of the "Live" game.

If you've never liked Live, this demo will not sway you if you're on the fence.

That's the best way that I can describe the demo.
So overall, what did YOU think of it BE?

# 108 Bornindamecca @ 09/04/08 02:39 PM
Quote:
How do you run a play?

Then one spot comes up on the floor but when I go to that spot, it doesn't tell me who I should pass it to.

Help!
Keep pressing A and it'll cycle through to the person it's supposed to go to. in the triangle, it shows you the options of going to either side of the triangle. It took some getting used to, but I think it's a good play running system. It's one of the faster, more crisp parts of the game.

# 109 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 02:39 PM
Quote:
How do you run a play?

Help!
For the sake of your post, I called "Allen Off Ball Screen". It shows a greyed out A above Allen's head and when he gets to where you pass it to him, it lights up green. Plays with multi steps will follow this same pattern where the A will be greyed out and then greened on when it comes time to pass. When I ran some plays in the triangle as the Lakers, there were multiple options to pass it to when it came time.

# 110 bigeastbumrush @ 09/04/08 02:42 PM
Quote:
I dunno my man, I played about 15 4 minute games this morning and alternated between the 2 teams, and I seen Kobe take a grand total of 2 shots in the time that I wasn't the Lakers. I've seen more shots by him in the one I'm playing right now than I seen in the whole morning. Fisher is firing at will, doing turnaround J's from WAY downtown with Rondo right up in his grill, I'm controlling Allen or Pierce to try to get some gamble steals because I seen Kobe get a killer one on me in one of my first games and I wanted to see if there were any other cool ones. It was one of those tap the ball on the pass way out in front of you and catch up to it to start the break.
What level are you playing on? On All-Star, Fisher hasn't shot the ball against me as I said earlier. Plus, that Lockdown Defense is sweet.

You basically body up the ball handler and can bounce off him a little, no foul calls. Just aggressive D. Love that part of the game. One of those things that feels good.

# 111 Pared @ 09/04/08 02:43 PM
Quote:
For the sake of your post, I called "Allen Off Ball Screen". It shows a greyed out A above Allen's head and when he gets to where you pass it to him, it lights up green. Plays with multi steps will follow this same pattern where the A will be greyed out and then greened on when it comes time to pass. When I ran some plays in the triangle as the Lakers, there were multiple options to pass it to when it came time.
Haha... you picked up on this quick. Most of the guys at the community day got it. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

# 112 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 02:44 PM
Quote:
What level are you playing on? On All-Star, Fisher hasn't shot the ball against me as I said earlier. Plus, that Lockdown Defense is sweet.

You basically body up the ball handler and can bounce off him a little, no foul calls. Just aggressive D. Love that part of the game. One of those things that feels good.
Playing on the next difficulty up from default, whatever that is..

By the way, there are some really awesome block/foul animations in the paint. PP just had a nasty one on Odom who thought he had an easy layup. I just wish the jumpshot blocks weren't so frequent. KG is blocking the hell out of anybody and everybody that comes near him, and I'm not controlling him at all.

# 113 bigeastbumrush @ 09/04/08 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
So overall, what did YOU think of it BE?
I like it man. Easily Live's best effort to date.

Much smoother and it plays like an NBA game. I think the biggest part of this is the court spacing. When guys are not bunched up together, you can have guys do work in the post and it forces you to double down. That's where you get the open 3s.

To see the CPU hit the offensive glass HARD is a complete change from Live's past. Sometimes guys go up with one hand to pull down a board.

I've seen the CPU look for the open man. There was one play where Kobe drove on the baseline and when I went to block the shot, he passed it mid-air to the other side for a 3 point shot. I NEVER remember that in next-gen Live.

There are things that I don't like...namely the stupid sluggishness. But overall, I like what I see so far.

# 114 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 02:47 PM
Also, there's some really nice charge/flop animations too. I've seen Pierce and Allen get called for a foul for trying to ride the ball handler on the wing and fall down trying to get a call. Love those animations.

# 115 videobastard @ 09/04/08 02:48 PM
Quote:
How do you run a play?

Help!
When i called the play icons were above the players head . It would light up when they were in right position.

# 116 rockchisler @ 09/04/08 02:48 PM
I would not say its sluggish its a realistic pace from driving left to right and defending its very momentum based, just because u cant run left to right and shoot on a dime does not make it realistic, I like the demo, some clipping issues but it probably is a early build, anybody notice in the practice gym when a player does not have the ball he starts dancing, nice lil touch EA. Overall after a few games i am satistfied where live is moving, definatley a first day purchase 4 me.

# 117 ehh @ 09/04/08 02:49 PM
How's the defense in terms of closing out to an open shooter? Do they move unrealistically fast and get a hand on too many shots (or shots they shouldn't be able to get to)?

The blocked shot on Caron Butler (I think it was him) in the defense/ankle break video the other day definitely had me concerned.

# 118 bigeastbumrush @ 09/04/08 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Keep pressing A and it'll cycle through to the person it's supposed to go to. in the triangle, it shows you the options of going to either side of the triangle. It took some getting used to, but I think it's a good play running system. It's one of the faster, more crisp parts of the game.
Thanks born & Dak. I'll give it a try.

Tomba, what Game Speed are you using?

# 119 DakkoN @ 09/04/08 02:51 PM
Does anybody else wish that we had the "Instant Replay" option enabled in the demo? It was in last year's demo but not this one.. I'm seeing so many little things that I want to see again that the LT replay doesn't allow you to see.

# 120 rockchisler @ 09/04/08 02:52 PM
Quote:
Does anybody else wish that we had the "Instant Replay" option enabled in the demo? It was in last year's demo but not this one.. I'm seeing so many little things that I want to see again that the LT replay doesn't allow you to see.
u mean replay the last play u made? u can the replay camera is at the bottom of the screen

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.