Home
News Post

If you have been paying attention to the community’s efforts to tweak NBA 2K9 during the past few months, you probably noticed that Neon1, one of the hardest-working NBA 2K community members, redid the ratings and tendencies for every player and coach in the game.

As someone who had previously shelved NBA 2K9 out of frustration, I was initially excited to sit down and try this tweaked version of NBA 2K9 now that March Madness is in full bloom.

But after only a few games as my underachieving Grizzlies -- who have actually gotten a lot better, ratings-wise, since I last touched the game -- it became clear to me that the same opinion I had formed a few months ago still holds true:

NBA 2K9 is a mess, and no amount of slider tweaking or roster editing can save it.

So, in the first of a two-part series, I am here to explain why I have given up on NBA hoops this year, and I am also here to detail what needs to be improved in 2010.

Read More - Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ChochHolla @ 03/25/09 01:02 PM
This is an article that didn't need writing. These topics are already covered, ten times over.
Actually, I had these issues when the game first came out.. along with the totally unplayable online game; however, i've taken the weak AI as a reason to get better at team defense (controlling 5 players with good positioning and help). The game is as playable as any 2k game... if not more.

Still miss college hoops tho.

# 62 DC @ 03/25/09 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChochHolla
however, i've taken the weak AI as a reason to get better at team defense (controlling 5 players with good positioning and help).
Same here.....

# 63 orrkl2002 @ 03/25/09 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
He wants someone with a pink name saying "I hear you."

It's the same thing we've been talking about all along.
Is there a reason why everytime I post here Pared turns the thread inside out by posting sarcastic answers to everyone, I mean he may be a self proclaimed "sports game aficionado" but I still havent seen HIS NAME turn pink yet so Pared all your hard work on these boards havent paid off just yet, so if you see me sayin something regarding the game that you dont like, address the issue once your name turns pink. We all just fans homie chill out lmao.

But back to topic Im enjoying the 2k right now mainly due to the slider adjustments for my association, As well as playing in a few sim leagues im currently in but when people start to lose, thats when I see all the ugly glitches and unstoppable animations which shows me how flawed this game really is.

# 64 Pared @ 03/25/09 02:09 PM
lmao the check is apparently in the mail. We've covered this already too.

Don't be upset because the point is valid.

# 65 Stumbleweed @ 03/25/09 02:26 PM
They really need to start releasing betas for sports games to communities like this.

# 66 DaReapa @ 03/25/09 02:38 PM
Great article. I was surprised to see the number of people having common opinions on 2K9 considering the amount of praise this year's iteration received. This has been by far the worst version of NBA 2K that I have played since NBA 2K4. And being an avid fan of the NBA 2K series, I must say that if a number of these issues aren't addressed in 2K10 (particularly with controls/animations and defense), then I may be without a bball title this year. You can only take so much of the poor defensive A.I. (poor switching on mismatches), unbalanced shooting (80% CPU FG% vs 40% User FG%), overbearing animations (sucked-in charging animations, etc), and stagnant controls (self explanatory) for so long.

# 67 capp34 @ 03/25/09 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
in neither blog is the fast break mentioned...completely broken (in both games by the way)
dont forget rebounding needs an overhaul and loose ball recognition also.

# 68 DC @ 03/25/09 03:37 PM
You do have a point. Year in and year out defense gets disrespected. I agree. One of these years I hope they get it right. But again, my gut is telling me it is done on purpose

# 69 orrkl2002 @ 03/25/09 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
lmao the check is apparently in the mail. We've covered this already too.

Don't be upset because the point is valid.
I've been offline for a while so im gettin up to date with good ol OS and all the major players lol.

# 70 STLRams @ 03/25/09 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.M.L.
u guys seem to fail to get the point year in and year out

and live 2k10, with the way madden is going, i am sure u r going to see a awesome game

i want to be wary of tim duncan in the whole or garnett, if im kobe i want to know im playin a scrub or ron artest, i dont want to take mid range shots because im trying to play sim, i want to take them because this is a sim game.......

Good point about taking midrange shots because the game is SIM. I really hope 2K10 is like this.

# 71 STLRams @ 03/25/09 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.M.L.
u guys seem to fail to get the point year in and year out

when was the last time u can look back at this series and see when the put a focus on defense

2k3???

2k4-no post game no defense

2k5-dunkin in traffic was redicoulos, it ruined the game

2k6-dunkin in traffic was bad, a contested shot and a open shot were the same result which meant it was probably going in

2k7- great at first, but as u played it u seen the terrible defense, and spacing issues

2k8-tried with the lock on system, but going in the post was a automatic dunk, and a few wiggles of iso motion and u were to the line in no time

2k9-well see thread starters post

so six years of complaing and basically defense has not been adressed

this is why i can appreciate the nba live series, they work on issues,

live 2003- too arcadey

live 2004- suffocating defense

live 2005-perfect

then 2k6-2k7 was awful but 08 seen a comeback, 09 seen a desecent playale and enoyable game

and live 2k10, with the way madden is going, i am sure u r going to see a awesome game

i want to be wary of tim duncan in the whole or garnett, if im kobe i want to know im playin a scrub or ron artest, i dont want to take mid range shots because im trying to play sim, i want to take them because this is a sim game.......
Good point about taking midrange because of the game being SIM, I hope 2K10 is like this. Then you would really get some good online and offline games.

# 72 KG @ 03/26/09 08:40 AM
That 2nd video is just ugly. Everything from seeing Shaq's moves to his double dribble, travel, and lack of pick & roll defense makes it just look horrible.

I agree with everyone's points about defense. I found that the only way I would get stops would be on blocks or steals.

Offensively the play calling system is outdated, sluggish, and just turrrrible. I cant understand why you need to be in a certain position to run a play and why in this day & age of point-forwards and more you need to initiate everything with the PG.

What I look for in all sports games are plays or series of events where I think to myself, "that could really happen". There were too many inconsistencies in this game for me to take the effort to really get back into it.

# 73 texbuk84 @ 03/27/09 09:39 AM
yeah like NBA LIVE 09 is any better. I play in leagues so we have rules and the game is awesome to me. jmo

# 74 DC @ 03/27/09 11:22 AM
Yea I know graphically it is an upgrade, btu I was talking about gameplay

# 75 ronyell @ 03/27/09 11:46 AM
an anonymous PM sent to me...

Quote:
Yo homie whats going on I now remember why I kept away from the boards.....dudes are slamming on 2k9....jeez I actually like the game still and have alot of fun offline just playing with my brothers but coming here gets u jaded....
my response...

Quote:
know right?! best game ever 2 me... i think people here are starting 2 get a bit picky & totally losing perspective

# 76 Pared @ 03/27/09 12:24 PM
I understand there are issues with the game. But I would also have to agree with the "everything is broken" mentality that permeates through the boards.

People make comments like the CPU AI never provides help defense and that is simply not true. Things can certainly be better and I'm sure there will be a lot of work put into 2k10 as a result... but the finite, definitive statements that get made at times here are severely over the top. It has become the basis of communication on the message boards at OS, sadly. People would rather talk about what they don't like... revel in each others misery... instead of enjoying what they can.

Some people complain the game is unrealistic... but then they are playing on HOF? Bueller... hello? Ever try lowering the difficulty?

Some of the comments here you'd think people have never played a sports video game in their entire life. It's not ideal but the standard some are expecting... certainly isn't level across the board with other titles.

# 77 jyoung @ 03/27/09 12:53 PM
At the end of the day, when you play a basketball game that's claiming to be a simulation of the sport, you expect that the game will display some knowledge of the basic fundamentals of the sport with regards to the rules (traveling) and basic defensive strategy.

The NBA 2K series in its current state has zero understanding of those fundamentals.

Especially on the defensive end of the court, and especially with regards to the frequent traveling violations that occur from the multitude of sliding/warping animations that have become more prominent in the 2K9 version of the game than they were in 2K7/2K8.

# 78 ronyell @ 03/27/09 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
At the end of the day, when you play a basketball game that's claiming to be a simulation of the sport, you expect that the game will display some knowledge of the basic fundamentals of the sport with regards to the rules (traveling) and basic defensive strategy.

The NBA 2K series in its current state has zero understanding of those fundamentals.

Especially on the defensive end of the court, and especially with regards to the frequent traveling violations that occur from the multitude of sliding/warping animations that have become more prominent in the 2K9 version of the game than they were in 2K7/2K8.
OMFG!

"2k has 0 understanding of basic basketball fundametals"

wtf?!?!!?!? THAT IS RIDICULOUS & IS THE EXACT EXTREME TYPE OF STATEMENTS THAT PARED IS TALKING ABOUT... HOW FUNNY SOME PEOPLE ARE

# 79 spankdatazz22 @ 03/27/09 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell

OMFG!

"2k has 0 understanding of basic basketball fundametals"

wtf?!?!!?!? THAT IS RIDICULOUS & IS THE EXACT EXTREME TYPE OF STATEMENTS THAT PARED IS TALKING ABOUT... HOW FUNNY SOME PEOPLE ARE
That one made me laugh. Pared just got through mentioning baseless over the top statements and almost immediately here comes someone and makes a baseless over the top statement. It's the state of OS now unfortunately, where people are unable to articulate a view unless it's at one extreme or the other

# 80 Pared @ 03/27/09 02:59 PM
Well, he wrote "those" fundamentals... and he has a point. There are some animations that result in a travel that does not get called.

IMO they are just animations that were missed.

His comment was over the top if we get into linguistics, but he does have a point if you look past it. I wouldn't quickly group his comments with those that I was referring to earlier...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.