Home
News Post

If you have been paying attention to the community’s efforts to tweak NBA 2K9 during the past few months, you probably noticed that Neon1, one of the hardest-working NBA 2K community members, redid the ratings and tendencies for every player and coach in the game.

As someone who had previously shelved NBA 2K9 out of frustration, I was initially excited to sit down and try this tweaked version of NBA 2K9 now that March Madness is in full bloom.

But after only a few games as my underachieving Grizzlies -- who have actually gotten a lot better, ratings-wise, since I last touched the game -- it became clear to me that the same opinion I had formed a few months ago still holds true:

NBA 2K9 is a mess, and no amount of slider tweaking or roster editing can save it.

So, in the first of a two-part series, I am here to explain why I have given up on NBA hoops this year, and I am also here to detail what needs to be improved in 2010.

Read More - Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 NINJAK2 @ 03/27/09 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell
i get ur point GSW & i normally find ur posts very insightful & in line with what i also think but calling the game unplayable is also an opinion.

since the name of this THREAD is " Why I'm Done With NBA Basketball This Year: NBA 2K9 ", this will be my last post in it & i will refer to the NBA2K9 thread.

but i just find it funny how everyone here is complaining SO much about the game yet they are still playing it. should i recite the title of this thread again?

if i hated going to the club.......... i would stop going... and so if 2k9 is unplayable.... _____________

we do this every year, i understand the concern & am annoyed some of the same things as most of u posters here but UNPLAYABLE i just cant co-sign!

so once again i say everyone keep saying how you hate 2k9 & can't play it anymore & i will see you in the NBK2K10 review threads, roster threads & everything else
great post.

# 102 spankdatazz22 @ 03/28/09 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
see its comments like this that get me...

you say the games positives outweigh the negatives...

maybe for you... but that is not a fact its an opinion...

far to often on both sides of the argument about this game peopel relay thier personal opinion as fact...
Not sure why. I've only played the demo of NBA Live and watched others play that have the game or at kiosks. And while it wasn't for me I feel fairly safe in saying it's positives likely outweigh it's negatives, just based on the little I've experienced and in reading other's posts. And I'll say that given Live's pretty poor performance overall next gen, and the many times I've read "just give Live another year". But somehow NBA2K9 is so bad in your opinion that the same consideration can't be said of it lol? That for someone that's supposedly so happy with the other game that they spend considerable time itemizing what's wrong with this one? The standards these games are held to are totally different. Has been the case for a while

# 103 GSW @ 03/28/09 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timid
Oh, the irony....And for YOU the OPINION that the game isn't as goo as it could've been is your OPINION too........What makes yours a fact and not his? Because you guys sit on these boards all day whining about this game like women?

This stuff is annoying.........So, I'm offline for a while, come to these forums and apparently, I've been playing the 2nd coming of NBA Ballers or something....
first off i never said my statement as fact i said it was my opinion...

your whole intent to quote me was to try and flip it around and again this isnt about ME.

we are talking about making 2k basketball better.

im not knocking you guys, but some of you are the reason why this game isnt better because yall are ok with the flaws it has and are "satisfied"... why be satisfied you should always expect better and more...never settle for anything but 100%.

i mean you are actually trying to tell us and the devs this game has no defensive flaws?...really?... real defense is in this game??...

ok...

anyway though instead of attacking other posters in this thread who are trying to be critical of a good game in order to make it better, how about offering up your ideas on what needs to be improved.

# 104 ronyell @ 03/28/09 02:07 PM
Quote:
You said it was a fact, not me.....I didn't put any words in your mouth.....I offer up options all the time on these forums.......Of course you don't see the positive posts about this game because they're drowned in all the belly aching........You don't read my posts much if you think I dont' complain about the defense........But it really aint that bad and I'll say it as long as I'm on this forum, there's a difference between constructive criticism and and just being ridiculous and nitpicking like the way some of you do..

People like me are the problem? I complain about 2K's shortcomings every year but I never have an overwhelming negative view of the game........So let me get this straight, somebody who thinks 2K did a great job and is actually supportive of them is bad for business?

How about you guys nitpicking about stuff and complaining about every little thing thats wrong with the game, even complaining about **** thats not that serious, then 2K overdoes it the next year or mess something else up. They try to pack as much stuff in the game as possible and people still aren't happy......Thats good for business right? They pack all that crap in the game.

I love 2K9 and if they go flipping the game upside down, a lot of people will be hot....
TOUCHE`

# 105 SageInfinite @ 03/28/09 04:29 PM
I just have a problem with the cpu in this game. Playing against my boy we have great games. I just think the cpu offensive logic is quite flawed, and it brings out the other flaws that exist in the "engine".

# 106 GSW @ 03/28/09 05:48 PM
Quote:
You said it was a fact, not me.....I didn't put any words in your mouth.....I offer up options all the time on these forums.......Of course you don't see the positive posts about this game because they're drowned in all the belly aching........You don't read my posts much if you think I dont' complain about the defense........But it really aint that bad and I'll say it as long as I'm on this forum, there's a difference between constructive criticism and and just being ridiculous and nitpicking like the way some of you do..

People like me are the problem? I complain about 2K's shortcomings every year but I never have an overwhelming negative view of the game........So let me get this straight, somebody who thinks 2K did a great job and is actually supportive of them is bad for business?

How about you guys nitpicking about stuff and complaining about every little thing thats wrong with the game, even complaining about **** thats not that serious, then 2K overdoes it the next year or mess something else up. They try to pack as much stuff in the game as possible and people still aren't happy......Thats good for business right? They pack all that crap in the game.

I love 2K9 and if they go flipping the game upside down, a lot of people will be hot....
i didnt realize defensive flaws in a basketball game was nitpicking.

but ok man.

# 107 Stumbleweed @ 03/28/09 07:47 PM
Hah, DC and I played today and I won because the sub screen froze and wouldn't leave.. I was able to see a small corner of the court around the graphic and managed to nail a three with Westbrook to win the game by 1. After the game ended, the sub graphic finally left the screen. So weird. Wilcox was there to challenge it, but he drained it anyway.

# 108 Goffs @ 03/28/09 08:14 PM
hmm im still playing the PC version even with all its flaws...well ive been mostly modding the hell out of 2k9...shoes, dornas, faces, tatoos, courts....im hoping they get the sounds modded soon...

one thing ive always hated from 2k games is that the animations seem to take over the movements of the players and i end up doing something that i dont want the player to do...

# 109 IGOTU23 @ 03/28/09 08:23 PM
Well said to the thread starter, I definitely agree with everything u said, especially the defense aspect of the game which is really sad. I hopefully we can expect MUCH more from 2K10 and not a repeat performance.

# 110 Bornindamecca @ 03/28/09 08:42 PM
So many people have been "done" with this game since it came out, yet they are still playing.

# 111 ex carrabba fan @ 03/28/09 08:47 PM
Shockingly enough I actually put my foot down this year.

Played it at my friend's.. and I just didn't fall in love.

I never thought I'd put my foot down to video games, but it started with NCAA football last year.

NCAA had a lower chance of being shunned than 2K too.

# 112 Eddie1967 @ 03/28/09 09:14 PM
Nothing but a bunch of noise. It's the same thing every year especially with this holding 2k games to a higher standard crap. Every year someone makes this same almighty revelation about 2k basketball yet they come back year after year. I know the game isn't perfect but it's the best simulation of the sport of basketball to date. I say stop crying and be glad that NBA live isn't the only game on the market.

# 113 oldskoolmaddenfanz27 @ 03/28/09 11:43 PM
still the best 2k basketball game out there

# 114 Pared @ 03/30/09 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
The next time I see David Lee stand there with his hands down by his side and a watch a rebound through it's WHOLE flight and the ball HIT HIM IN HIS HEAD and never make an attempt to rebound please remind me how sim this game is. In otherwords someone should have been reminding me about 6 times today, 7 times yesterday, 5 times the day before.....

The next time I see Chandler go in for a CLEAR uncontested dunk and at the last second switch up for a stupid layup someone please remind me how sim this game is.

You know whats sad though, things happen in this game that if the game was playing realistic all the way through they wouldn't boil your blood. Just played some dude and Brandon Roy collected 5 quick fouls and the CPU would not for the life of it call that 6th foul on him even though the guy controlling him CLEARLY did not care. He drove to the hole 5 times afterwards and CLEARLY they were all charges and the CPU never called it or called blocking. Then, this is where I just couldn't take anymore. I'm bringing the ball up and he's trying to get a cheap foul on me collision animation occurs where Roy hits the ground, Duhon goes flying to the left still controlling his dribble, mind you NO CALL YET, and when Duhon goes flying he's in SLOOOOOOOOOOOW MOOOOOOOOOOOTION, so I go to pass and he LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFTS HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM INNNNNNNNNNNN SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW MOOOOOOOOOOOTION ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSS and gets called for eight seconds. That was it for me. Besides the other BS that was going on like me running great offenses on this guy and shooting not ONE contested shot and only shooting 17%. Strike that. I did shoot a few contested shots. ALL of those I made.
You're using highly modified sliders and highly altered rosters, correct? The numbers look good I bet... LeBron is rated slightly higher than Kobe, etc... but the game plays strange, does it not?

Why can't you put 2 and 2 together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
So many people have been "done" with this game since it came out, yet they are still playing.
I've said this before... as well as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I just have a problem with the cpu in this game. Playing against my boy we have great games. I just think the cpu offensive logic is quite flawed, and it brings out the other flaws that exist in the "engine".
This. This I completely agree with it. It's not 100% flawed... it just doesn't play out how I would expect. Those CPU only players are the ones "suffering" this year. Between the stale playbooks and play running to the bi-polar defense, against the CPU you will see oddities, especially on the higher difficulty levels.

I'm sure this is something of utmost importance next year, especially with Live 365 being such a hit this year.

# 115 DC @ 03/30/09 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Hah, DC and I played today and I won because the sub screen froze and wouldn't leave.. I was able to see a small corner of the court around the graphic and managed to nail a three with Westbrook to win the game by 1. After the game ended, the sub graphic finally left the screen. So weird. Wilcox was there to challenge it, but he drained it anyway.
That was sad forreal man.

# 116 Pared @ 03/30/09 03:35 PM
So, Chandler goes for a clear uncontested dunk, changes up to a layup because you held the shot stick too long initiating the controllable up and under move, and someone needs to remind you how sim the game is?

People have legitimate beefs about the game; Others, however, complain for the sake of complaining.

When you have a "complaint" that results from user error, no programming in the world is going to save you from that. Everyone is asking for more control b/c of the animations and you're arguing about something completely in your control. Completely contradicting what others want.

Let go of the shot stick. Problem solved.

# 117 DC @ 03/30/09 03:40 PM
Haven't heard the term, "user error" in a while. I remember Born started saying it last year and eveyrone was calling everything user error.

# 118 Pared @ 03/30/09 03:44 PM
Sadly, it applies here.

Go play a game, attempt a dunk and hold the shot stick (if not, hold it and make a slight adjustment); The player will go up for a dunk and readjust his shot. Move the shot stick and let go and he will dunk.

I blame part of this ignorance on their inability to provide an in-depth manual. Still, this doesn't give someone the leeway to complain for the sake of complaining, whether it be here, the Live forum, Madden, etc.

FWIW, there will always be the crowd that feels a game cheats. Always. This one example, however, isn't even valid when it's in your complete control.

# 119 DC @ 03/30/09 03:55 PM
Apparently the game does cheat: I hope this isn't true - http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214166

Read a few replies into the post

# 120 DrUrsus @ 03/30/09 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokez4DAyz
2k has Micheal Phelps type flaws. LIVE has American Economy Flaws. See the difference? Where's the big artcle on how many bad instances LIVE has...oh, no one study live to the teeth, like you guys over analyze 2K.
Funny analogy .

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.