Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Damon Bruce is in hot water over a segment which called out women in sports. Bruce's comments have caused quite a bit of controversy locally, with advertisers and listeners complaining about his diatribe. There is much speculation that his show is in trouble in the San Francisco market. As you may know, Bruce has been the voice of NBA 2K's halftime show for some time -- so its very possible this could end up costing him his gig with 2K Sports as well.

We'll be keeping an eye out for any news on this front! Do you think his rant is worthy of him losing his show and other things like his 2K halftime voice gig?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jayman504 @ 11/11/13 10:09 AM
No...well if he loses his gig in San Fran...it will give him AMPLE time to add more commentary to 2k15..lol.

On the real I dont know what he said...but if it's along the lines of "nappy headed h03$" then he's in alot of trouble.

# 2 Gosens6 @ 11/11/13 10:17 AM
If it's any worse than what David Pollack said on national television, he might be in some trouble

Sent from the Dungeon Of Doom using Tapatalk

# 3 Optik @ 11/11/13 10:30 AM
Couldn't care less if he's off the 2K gig. He's such a negligible part of the game, I wouldn't even care if the whole half-time report was removed.

# 4 cadalyst17 @ 11/11/13 10:34 AM
Sshhhhhh....Bruce. Never speak the truth. The truth will always get you in hot water.

# 5 lakers24 @ 11/11/13 10:35 AM
Not that I want a guy to lose a gig but....hell this would force them to update the halftime show! TNT Presentation FTW!!!

No but seriously.....

# 6 yungflo @ 11/11/13 10:37 AM
Thank God. Now we can have someone known in the halftime. Please bring in Kenny and E.J.

# 7 Blzer @ 11/11/13 10:37 AM
The Damon Bruce Show is one of the most entertaining sports talk radio shows to listen to because he crosses the line all the time. I don't know what this particular thing was that he said and I'll start to dig into it, but I'm sure it's just classic Damon.

Too bad, I really like him. To those who haven't heard it before, you should give it a listen (the show, I mean).

Well, you might not be able to anymore...

EDIT: Just listened to the segment. It was very Damon-like so it wasn't out of the ordinary. Super inappropriate, though. Because it's Damon and because it's not unexpected, I would have kept him his job but slapped him on the wrist. I know that if KNBR keeps him though, that's bad representation on their end. So I think they're covering their own asses.

# 8 yungflo @ 11/11/13 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadalyst17
Sshhhhhh....Bruce. Never speak the truth. The truth will always get you in hot water.
I didn't listened to the clip, only read an except..The WNBA is boring, and so are these sports that women do that try to emulate or simulate the aggressiveness of the male sport, but fail tremendously. I have no problems with women playing sports, but come on, we all know that in some aspects, the male counterpart is much better and some can be said for vice versa.

I am against Intersexed teams. I don't know why the nba is so intrigued with that concept, but that is just so wrong to me. The wnba is boring, college, not so much. The wnba needs to do something to spice up ticket sales. Not try to insert this agenda about maybe playing for the nba one day. Keep that ish separate. No one wants to be ejected for a ticky tack foul on a female.

# 9 yungflo @ 11/11/13 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
The Damon Bruce show is one of the most entertaining sports talk radio shows to listen to because he crosses the line all the time. I don't know what this particular thing was that he said and I'll start to dig into it, but I'm sure it's just classic Damon.

Too bad, I really like him. To those who haven't heard it before, you should given it a listen.

Well, you might not be able to anymore...

EDIT: Just listened to the segment. It was very Damon-like so it wasn't out of the ordinary. Super inappropriate, though. Because it's Damon and because it's not unexpected, I would have kept him his job but slapped him on the wrist. I know that if KNBR keeps him though, that's bad representation on their end. So I think they're covering their own asses.
its the advertisers, feminists and investors that are on his ***. Not the fans.

# 10 Halloween @ 11/11/13 10:47 AM
Not hating an woman but what's so wrong with what he said?

If there is a WNBA game...I'll take a nap.
The german women national soccer team gets crushed 10something:0 by 17 year old up-and-coming players.
I don't want to look at poeple doing things they are not good at. End of story.

I hate this feminsim bull****.

# 11 The 24th Letter @ 11/11/13 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
Thank God. Now we can have someone known in the halftime. Please bring in Kenny and E.J.
Damon Bruce is "known"...and while he doesn't yell "Birdman Birdman", he's very knowledgable about the game....

# 12 fudgie @ 11/11/13 11:00 AM
Hot Water...Music. I'm still geting 2K for launch!

# 13 King_B_Mack @ 11/11/13 11:02 AM
Quote:
I didn't listened to the clip, only read an except..The WNBA is boring, and so are these sports that women do that try to emulate or simulate the aggressiveness of the male sport, but fail tremendously. I have no problems with women playing sports, but come on, we all know that in some aspects, the male counterpart is much better and some can be said for vice versa.

I am against Intersexed teams. I don't know why the nba is so intrigued with that concept, but that is just so wrong to me. The wnba is boring, college, not so much. The wnba needs to do something to spice up ticket sales. Not try to insert this agenda about maybe playing for the nba one day. Keep that ish separate. No one wants to be ejected for a ticky tack foul on a female.
Wait what? When has the NBA tried to have intergender teams? Saying they're "so intrigued with that concept" what exactly have they done that backs that statement?

# 14 yungflo @ 11/11/13 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Believe it or not, some people besides the good folks at Inside the NBA cover basketball....

Damon Bruce is "known"...and while he doesn't yell "Birdman Birdman", he's very knowledgable about the game....
Well his knowledge doesn't come off in the game. 2k is going for the brief halftime look it seems. So if they are going that route, bring in some one that's at least entertaining during that short time. Bruce is "known" on the west coast. I'm pretty sure that many people haven't heard of him unless they are diehard sports podcast listeners or on the central or west coast

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

# 15 yungflo @ 11/11/13 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Wait what? When has the NBA tried to have intergender teams? Saying they're "so intrigued with that concept" what exactly have they done that backs that statement?
They entertain the question a lot including stern. Saying it was a strong possibility. With the maybes and so forth.That's something IMO that should be quickly shot down. Men and women shouldn't play together. That's just my opinion.

# 16 The 24th Letter @ 11/11/13 11:07 AM
Quote:
Well his knowledge doesn't come off in the game. 2k is going for the brief halftime look it seems. So if they are going that route, bring in some one that's at least entertaining during that short time. Bruce is "known" on the west coast. I'm pretty sure that many people haven't heard of him unless they are diehard sports podcast listeners or on the central or west coast

What knowledge are you looking to get from a 2 minute halftime show? Did you learn a lot from "Kenny's Pictures" back when he was doing the halftime show? At least Bruce sounded professional....

# 17 yungflo @ 11/11/13 11:11 AM
Quote:
What knowledge are you looking to get from a 2 minute halftime show? Did you learn a lot from "Kenny's Pictures" back when he was doing the halftime show? At least Bruce sounded professional....
I'm not looking for any knowledge on a two min clip, I'm looking to be entertained. That's why I said what I said. If its going to be short at least be entertaining.

# 18 King_B_Mack @ 11/11/13 11:12 AM
Quote:
They entertain the question a lot including stern. Saying it was a strong possibility. With the maybes and so forth.That's something IMO that should be quickly shot down. Men and women shouldn't play together. That's just my opinion.

As you can see from this issue right now it would be complete stupidity to just shoot it down and not entertain the question and lose any female viewership the NBA has. Money is money. There is pretty much no chance you will ever see intergender basketball teams in the NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL or just about any other top pro sports league in the country outside of NASCAR and the PGA tour. Answering questions about something and actually doing it are two different things. David Stern gives lip service to the people of Seattle too and we see how he feels about them.

# 19 LingeringRegime @ 11/11/13 11:16 AM
Quote:
I would rather have Bruce truth be told. I can't see Kenny and Barkley doing a lot of lines, plus who knows how they will act in the recording studio? Bruce plays games so he knows the deal.

Besides, you know that Kenny and Barkley aren't going to do ****, if they don't get PAID.

# 20 Blzer @ 11/11/13 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
This may sound harsh, but can't he easily be replaced?

EDIT: you would have to find an announcer willing to read all that info about every team, score, player, etc, so maybe not
Your statement isn't harsh at all, and he probably could be. 2K is stationed in San Rafael though I believe, so Bruce is somebody local enough to bring over for more lines if necessary. That helps make things easier.

However, your statement is a reflection of the video game, and not his career. Can he be easily replaced on KNBR? Ehhhh I'm going to miss Bruce a lot if he's fired. He's already been brought over to the sister station because he's not a homer for S.F. sports, and now that there are complainers KNBR might have to cover themselves again because of this segment? It's just too bad.

Again though, if we're talking about NBA 2K, I'm sure they'll have no problem getting someone else for next year. I certainly hope this doesn't mean they scrap the halftime show if they don't get somebody, though. Or I hope they just keep Damon.

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.