Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

There's a lot to digest folks, so here's my first article for MLB 14 The Show this year. Included is over 1,300 words, a video interview with Ramone Russell, Release Dates, and the new PS3 trailer.

I had hands-on with PS3 and (briefly) PS4, with additional time on both with Ramone. The Vita version was not onsite, but in terms of features, beside the smaller amount of Presentation (as always on Vita) the game is feature-complete across all 3 platforms.

PS Nation - MLB 14 The Show Hands-On Report
(External Link)

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 301 redsfan4life @ 02/13/14 03:15 PM
I'm feeling lucky so I'll guess May 13th.

# 302 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 03:21 PM
It appears that the player models didn't change.. Is this the case? Players all have the same arms and body types. That's my only disappointment. I thought they'd implement a lot more body types.

# 303 Hockeynut99 @ 02/13/14 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
One more question

So there will be a Bat Boy for each team and also Ball Boys or Ball Girls down each base line? The Phillies only use ball girls so does this mean in the game they would also only use girls and not boys?

And is this all done in realtime or cutaways?

And do the ball girls look like her?
**** the game can I just get her?!

# 304 brettryantalley @ 02/13/14 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip_16
Yeah that would be cool, but i remember Russell saying in a post on here a bit ago that with throwing in the odd 0-0 or any random count (1-1, 1-0) didnt really speed the game up and that was the goal of quick counts
maybe there's an opportunity for there to be a difference between "quick counts" and "generated counts" for future games? Generated sacrifices a little bit of of the quickness, but uses the same algorithm, but just includes the possibility of all counts?

It could be one of the pre-game options where you choose: Full, Quick or Generated.

I've also noticed that it seems like all of the glove types will end up being the same as it was in previous gen.

# 305 sk @ 02/13/14 03:39 PM
Does anybody know if two player locks can be used?

For example, me and my buddy love creating our own guys. If we created our guys and put them on the same team in franchise mode(co-op), would we be able to player lock our own guys or can we only player lock one player at a time?

# 306 shaneomac @ 02/13/14 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisxsong
Does anybody know if two player locks can be used?

For example, me and my buddy love creating our own guys. If we created our guys and put them on the same team in franchise mode(co-op), would we be able to player lock our own guys or can we only player lock one player at a time?
I just copied and pasted a post from knight in another thread. Hopefully this will answer your question.

"When you start a game(any mode I believe...I know it's in franchise games) you get to choose from 1-3(it was 1-3 in November) players to use.(I think you can switch them on/off....not sure if you can change which ones after you begin)
It is like the RTTS play for the game with that player(s)...and you can either just be involved in his plays or be involved in his plays and watch everything else play out(your teammate AB's from the dugout)...

I forget fielding...but I believe it's like RTTS.

Pretty cool actually as you can now create a player ...(yourself let's say) MLB ready and use him exclusively....!

M.K.
Knight165"

# 307 YanksFan4Life @ 02/13/14 03:52 PM
Can't wait for the PS4 version. It will only get better and better with each new iteration.

Questions:

1. Are numbers on the backs of players jerseys , w/o names, centered on the PS4 version? On the ps3 for example jersey numbers are really close to the belt for teams w/o last names on them. i.e. NYY

2. Does anyone else think the walls at Fenway Park need to be a different shade of green or darker?

Nitpicking! Sorry! lol

I guess we should realize though, more visual polish + stadium upgrades will come later down the road. Right now is getting the basics and fundamentals running well on the new system.

# 308 Armor and Sword @ 02/13/14 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The roster files across all three platforms are compatible with one another.
This is such awesome news.....really cool!!!

# 309 ShowTyme15 @ 02/13/14 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbler
With the saves is that just for roster files?? or every file like franchise? so I could start a franchise on ps3 and just go to ps4 whenever it comes out??
Yes the roster files are compatible across all 3 platforms. The Franchise saves I believe is for the PS4 only, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

# 310 sk @ 02/13/14 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneomac
I just copied and pasted a post from knight in another thread. Hopefully this will answer your question.

"When you start a game(any mode I believe...I know it's in franchise games) you get to choose from 1-3(it was 1-3 in November) players to use.(I think you can switch them on/off....not sure if you can change which ones after you begin)
It is like the RTTS play for the game with that player(s)...and you can either just be involved in his plays or be involved in his plays and watch everything else play out(your teammate AB's from the dugout)...

I forget fielding...but I believe it's like RTTS.

Pretty cool actually as you can now create a player ...(yourself let's say) MLB ready and use him exclusively....!

M.K.
Knight165"
Thanks for your response, but it still doesn't really answer my question of whether or not two players can be player locked at the same time.

# 311 ShowTyme15 @ 02/13/14 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbler
so a franchise file would only work for next year?

if that is the case no point buying the PS3 version really the only way I am now going to get the PS3 version is if I can continue my franchise with the PS4
Yes that's correct it will only work starting next year with MLB 15. All the progress on 14 can be transferred over to 15. I think most people are getting the PS3 version to work on OSFM as those files can now transfer over.

# 312 shaneomac @ 02/13/14 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Yes the roster files are compatible across all 3 platforms. The Franchise saves I believe is for the PS4 only, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Maybe I'm wrong on this but I'm almost 100% sure I saw where franchise files are compatible between ps3 and ps4. So one could buy the ps3 version start a franchise and then buy the ps4 and play the same franchise. can anyone confirm this?

# 313 douggoud @ 02/13/14 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL375
I'm hoping that since the PS4 version doesn't come out until May that the game will include a REAL player model for Masahiro Tanaka with a real face?
I'm guessing that it will, because when the PS3 version of 07 came out a month or 2 later then the PS2 version, it had a proper version of Diasuke Matsuzaka. Where as the PS2 version had that created player look to him.

I think they do that because they have to play an official MLB game before SCEA can put their face (or likely-ness) in the game. By the time the PS4 version is released, I'm pretty sure Tanaka will have played at least one game by then. So he SHOULD be in the game, of course the keyword is "should". lol

# 314 ShowTyme15 @ 02/13/14 04:07 PM
Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong on this but I'm almost 100% sure I saw where franchise files are compatible between ps3 and ps4. So one could buy the ps3 version start a franchise and then buy the ps4 and play the same franchise. can anyone confirm this?
You might be right. I think I had it all backwards. My bad I thought it was only roster files.

# 315 mikeq672 @ 02/13/14 04:08 PM
Quote:
Yup, pretty sure Ive read about 15 times in this thread that you can start a franchise on ps3 and carry it right over to ps4 when it releases.

# 316 ShowTyme15 @ 02/13/14 04:10 PM
@ jibbler yeah man i was wrong I misunderstood the file transfers. You CAN do both Roster and Franchise file that will transfer over to any of the 3 consoles.

# 317 jmaj315 @ 02/13/14 04:13 PM
Is there video on Mr Russell's presentation? I feel like he's very charismatic (this is the first video i've seen of him) and would like to watch it!

also, I feel like people are reading through this thread before reading the articles/seeing all the screenshots of the game... lol

# 318 AntiBandwagoner @ 02/13/14 04:24 PM
May feels so far away...

# 319 thaSLAB @ 02/13/14 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisxsong
Thanks for your response, but it still doesn't really answer my question of whether or not two players can be player locked at the same time.
To answer your question, no. Think of it as playing RTTS with any player on the line-up. If you select player lock, you are that player for the remainder of the game (or until you turn it off.) You can switch (lock) to a different player too. I think you can lock to multiple players, where you only play those players at-bats and fielding opps.

One cool thing is you could actually play a whole season as one player if you want, and see if you can do better than that player's real life counterpart.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

# 320 sk @ 02/13/14 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
To answer your question, no. Think of it as playing RTTS with any player on the line-up. If you select player lock, you are that player for the remainder of the game (or until you turn it off.) You can switch (lock) to a different player too. I think you can lock to multiple players, where you only play those players at-bats and fielding opps.

One cool thing is you could actually play a whole season as one player if you want, and see if you can do better than that player's real life counterpart.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Thanks for your answer.

Yeah I know how player lock works, I just wanted to do it with my friend on the same team where we both play lock onto a position. For example if I made a SS and he made a CF, I would be the SS the whole game and he'd be the CF.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.