Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

There's a lot to digest folks, so here's my first article for MLB 14 The Show this year. Included is over 1,300 words, a video interview with Ramone Russell, Release Dates, and the new PS3 trailer.

I had hands-on with PS3 and (briefly) PS4, with additional time on both with Ramone. The Vita version was not onsite, but in terms of features, beside the smaller amount of Presentation (as always on Vita) the game is feature-complete across all 3 platforms.

PS Nation - MLB 14 The Show Hands-On Report
(External Link)

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 361 Born Again @ 02/13/14 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Still no mention of editing potential
not being able to edit potential is like not being able to edit contact or power

# 362 MLB Bob @ 02/13/14 06:20 PM
ok finally got through the whole thread..ugh. Thanks Glen, thanks Knight and thanks to the positive contributors to the thread. The other guys that cant read, annoyed everyone for their own entertainment ect..glad there were a few yellow carded posts..some could have gotten a red to be honest.

Now about the info. LOVE the player lock feature. Been asking for awhile for that. I cant wait to play that and have commentary back while I control the franchise as normal and only play one guy or play as a MLB player. Super stoked and get best of every world.

Ball boys/ball girls...nice touch. Not my big thing but awesome addition for the PS4. Along with signs, fans catching balls and stuff. Like the confirmation of the cross platform rosters. Having a baby mid March allows me time to settle in for a May release..maybe I'll get in on the April ps3 release to occupy the late nights in april.

Mr Russel and Glen have done well. Looking forward to more info.

And looking forward to the tidbit of info Knight has about editing a player. Pm knight Thanks guys..but god that was a long thread to weigh through. Some of you owe me my brain cells back.

# 363 SVCbearcat10 @ 02/13/14 06:29 PM
I may get killed for saying this, but the reveal was so anticlimactic for me. PS3 owners have to wait 3 weeks longer for their copy because Madden and NBA2K saw releasing closer to opening day boosted sales. Although I feel the extra time for the PS4 will yield better results, I can't help but wonder if the delayed release date has to do with Infamous releasing in March. Wouldn't make sense for Sony to release 2 top titles within 2 weeks of each other. 2 decisions made with corporate profits in mind, not the gamer (although Sony needs every dollar they can get right now!). I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but not sure they had the community's best interest in mind. Also, there wasn't anything more revealed that we didn't already know. I'm doubting we will see any PS4 video footage before April, only screenshots.

All that being said, I'll continue to check daily for new info. This may go down as the best looking PS4 game and probably be the best game this studio ever made. The businessman part of me is looking at how their strategy is playing out and it makes perfect sense, but the gamer part of me feels a little short changed. Can't wait till May!

# 364 Russell_SCEA @ 02/13/14 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
ok finally got through the whole thread..ugh. Thanks Glen, thanks Knight and thanks to the positive contributors to the thread. The other guys that cant read, annoyed everyone for their own entertainment ect..glad there were a few yellow carded posts..some could have gotten a red to be honest.

Now about the info. LOVE the player lock feature. Been asking for awhile for that. I cant wait to play that and have commentary back while I control the franchise as normal and only play one guy or play as a MLB player. Super stoked and get best of every world.

Ball boys/ball girls...nice touch. Not my big thing but awesome addition for the PS4. Along with signs, fans catching balls and stuff. Like the confirmation of the cross platform rosters. Having a baby mid March allows me time to settle in for a May release..maybe I'll get in on the April ps3 release to occupy the late nights in april.

Mr Russel and Glen have done well. Looking forward to more info.

And looking forward to the tidbit of info Knight has about editing a player. Pm knight Thanks guys..but god that was a long thread to weigh through. Some of you owe me my brain cells back.

Just bat and ball boys no girls this year.

# 365 Born Again @ 02/13/14 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I may get killed for saying this, but the reveal was so anticlimactic for me. PS3 owners have to wait 3 weeks longer for their copy because Madden and NBA2K saw releasing closer to opening day boosted sales. Although I feel the extra time for the PS4 will yield better results, I can't help but wonder if the delayed release date has to do with Infamous releasing in March. Wouldn't make sense for Sony to release 2 top titles within 2 weeks of each other. 2 decisions made with corporate profits in mind, not the gamer (although Sony needs every dollar they can get right now!). I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but not sure they had the community's best interest in mind. Also, there wasn't anything more revealed that we didn't already know. I'm doubting we will see any PS4 video footage before April, only screenshots.
Yep, you will be killed, it's commonly known scea does not make games with intention to make money.

# 366 MLB Bob @ 02/13/14 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I can live with that Ramone. lol

# 367 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieBravo
I'm willing to bet we see NOTHING else PS4 related that's screens or videos until LATE April if anything. Their gonna be super quiet, then release a bunch of things at once leading up to the release.
I think it will be a month or so before we see any PS4 videos.. It definitely won't be that long before we hear or see any more news though.

# 368 bcruise @ 02/13/14 06:40 PM
Quote:
The roster files across all three platforms are compatible with one another.
This is obviously fantastic news.

One thing I wonder about is even though the rosters may be correct when you import them into the PS4 from the PS3...what about the faces? We know that in the past the Vita OSFM faces ended up looking weird after an import because the Vita lacked many of the PS3's player creation options. Would the player faces truly be PS4 quality if they were originally created on the PS3 and imported to PS4?

# 369 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 06:42 PM
Quote:
Will Bat and Ball boys have their genuine teams jerseys that are assigned to them? Or will every teams bat and ball boy have jerseys just with no name on the back? What I mean is, some teams have BB on the back and some give numbers.

# 370 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

One thing I wonder about is even though the rosters may be correct when you import them into the PS4 from the PS3...what about the faces? We know that in the past the Vita OSFM faces ended up looking weird after an import because the Vita lacked many of the PS3's player creation options. Would the player faces truly be PS4 quality if they were originally created on the PS3 and imported to PS4?
Great question

# 371 Heroesandvillains @ 02/13/14 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

I was wondering this myself, Bcruise. Excellent question. I suppose if the editing options are equivalent between the PS3/4 than hopefully no further editing will be necessary after the import. This is all a guess in my part though.

# 372 BravesBoy @ 02/13/14 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Ok. I kind of agree. But...

You've been here long enough to see the countless upon countless threads about facial hair and 3D rendered grass, right?

I look at this more as a testament to the kind of detail talented programmers can get out of the new hardware. The PS4 is a beast and I'm thrilled that the folks over at SCEA can try to push its limits.

These kind of details weren't possible last gen. Lara Croft's hair got a lot of play in the press too. But these kind of things do matter wen this kind of technology involved.
Yea i know those little details are what make the show, the show. All in all i do believe that these "little things" enhance the playing experience. To be honest i do think they look great just from the few photos we've gotten. By no means am i being ungrateful or unreasonable

# 373 x8Tommy8x @ 02/13/14 06:53 PM
Looks amazing! Cant Wait! Maybe its a bad angle but where's Molina's tattoos?

# 374 LastActionHero @ 02/13/14 06:56 PM
Wow! They delivered!
Those screens are a thing of beauty and when in motion I probably **** myself.

That screenshot at at&t park from below with the pitcher mound and scoreboard in sight really shows the new lighting engine. At&t was always one of the more blend looking parks in The Show in contrary to real life but in that screen it looks phenomenal.

The croud updates where they will finally interact more by catching foul balls, have signs up, have a family of 1000 unique models etc. will also help bring the stadium ambiance to a higher level.

Player lock sounds interesting if you want to speed up the game, especially in combination with the generated counts and the fact you can toggle it on and off during a game is great.

And then the grass!
It was inevitable for them to upgrade this on the ps4 after having to play on the same plain grass mat for years.
But man when SCEA take steps, they actually make leaps and go beyond what you had in mind or hoped for.

And a May release, oh well it keeps the "greatness awaits" slogan for the PS4 alive haha.

ps: only thing that I noticed right away was the "neon" colour of the walls in Fenway park. Especially in that comparison shot of Mike Napoli's beard. See the major difference? Maybe it's just a work in progress but still they specifically picked shots from the Red Sox so for it to be that off seems a little weird.

Ok I'm ready for next week!
Video maybe?

# 375 tnixen @ 02/13/14 07:00 PM
Quote:

I'm cool with that maybe next year then

Thanks for the info.

# 376 metsfan4life1 @ 02/13/14 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by x8Tommy8x
Looks amazing! Cant Wait! Maybe its a bad angle but where's Molina's tattoos?
Curious on this as well.

# 377 ctzn. @ 02/13/14 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemss316
Have my first child due May 8th, and 14 The Show?! Best month ever!
My first is due June 5th. I'm sure I'll be squeezing in every minute of play time on The Show I can get!

# 378 dickey1331 @ 02/13/14 07:21 PM
Woohoo. Can't wait till May!

# 379 Still2REal @ 02/13/14 07:28 PM
I used a search on this thread and didn't find anything about franchise beyond the saves feature. Is Franchise mode untouched for this year? Maybe more info at a later date?

# 380 MLB Bob @ 02/13/14 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still2REal
I used a search on this thread and didn't find anything about franchise beyond the saves feature. Is Franchise mode untouched for this year? Maybe more info at a later date?
I have no inside info but can assure you that theres lots more info on all game modes coming. this is day one. we have months to go

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.