Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Steph Curry has just posted a quick NBA 2K16 video clip of himself in NBA 2K16, complete with mouth guard. Steph mentions on his Instagram that a Beyond the Shadows video is coming Monday.

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 ojandpizza @ 08/07/15 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
There's no doubt in my mind 2k's marketing guy's job is secure...ya'll just don't enjoy it, lol

It's a video game anyways.

Dudes act like they are marketing something that by withholding information it's becoming life altering for them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 82 2_headedmonster @ 08/07/15 02:28 PM
The level of detail they're going for is staggering

+ Arm hair, always an impressive detail lol
+ the script on the kicks
+ bouncing phalanges
+ scanned teeth
+ good looking mouth-guard (a basketball game first?)
+ signature ankle braces

- As in the screen, the hair is off. has that 'finger in a socket' look
- poor lighting again. Hides the dimensions of the face (cheeks and forehead).
- Seems too light in the face
- sliding as he steps to the freethrow line
- ankle braces are grey ( a legacy 2k white issue)

# 83 ojandpizza @ 08/07/15 02:33 PM
Curry's real ankle braces are grey, the straps are white.

# 84 Sundown @ 08/07/15 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Agreed. But I think that, if the players being scanned are being overlit with light and thus flooding out the details, then I think that would be a problem with 2K's scanning process And I don't think that would replicate what we see when watching real games on TV or in person, where we can see all of the details on a player's face and body.
Actually you want to "overlight" and flatten the tones to create a proper albedo (surface color only) layer. I imagine the scan data can also be used to create an ambient occlusion (soft shadowing) layer, though maybe it's all baked into a traditional diffuse map in one scan. Basically that's computer graphics gibberish for getting textures that look correct in flat lighting so they can be consistently and correctly lit by the lighting functions. Then you use dynamic lighting to actually light the surfaces in game.

So it's not really a problem with the scan-- there should be little lighting information outside of ambient occlusion, and I'm sure 2K has their scan data adjusted correctly. It's more about how the characters are actually lit and shadowed and how the specular response brings back depth as it does in real life.

An additional difficulty is that basketball is played on a shiny hardwood floor that does tend to reflect back much of the arena light and flatten out some areas of figures. You don't really get harsh shadowed areas that help with definition. You get a lot of occluded soft shaded areas which 2K has done well simulating in realtime for a long time (even on last gen). This is what sometimes feels "real" vs. crappy graphics from the 90's. Notice how much 2K players do feel like they belong in their environment-- and notice how in the comparison shot the tones aren't THAT off from the actual video capture/photo even in areas not facing towards the arena lights. The rendering of shading under legs and between limbs is also quite well done.

But what's subdued or missing in comparison to real life are the bright highlights (adjustable through gloss and specular fresnel maps or lighting functions), and the self-shadowing. Notice how Curry in game doesn't have any highlights that reach white compared to his photo. Also notice how Curry's brow doesn't cast a shadow on his cheek in 2K nor his bottom lip on his chin.

The former can be improved in a number of practical ways. The latter is actually quite a difficult problem to get running fast and looking good in real time. That's probably more than you wanted to know.

At any rate, I'm more concerned about the fact that the scan process sometimes produces bulbous heads with facial features that are too small in proportion. Curry looks good, but when compared to a photo, he looks like he has a mild case of encephalitis or had a minor nose job to celebrate his NBA ring.

# 85 23 @ 08/07/15 02:34 PM
Im not going to over analyze the scan. Sure his skin could stand to be more yellow, but all in all that looks like Steph Curry

Doesn't look like his eye lids are taped to his forehead or anything

I hate that people have to nitpick stuff but when you hold back things like a new government secret project then when its released people are going to look harder.

# 86 23 @ 08/07/15 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza

Bruh.... stop it man, and thats no excuse for grey off white leg sleeves

# 87 dubcity @ 08/07/15 02:38 PM
Steph looks mildly disturbing, lol

# 88 ojandpizza @ 08/07/15 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23

Bruh.... stop it man, and thats no excuse for grey off white leg sleeves

Well if you watch the video the grey/off-white coloring on his leg sleeves actually moves, and it's the same grey/off-white coloring that's on the shadow of his jersey..

It is a shadow

# 89 23 @ 08/07/15 02:45 PM
Thats not grey, its still white, and its not a shadow

That grainy pic you just posted is a bad reference because the lighting is all messed up.

Anyway, whatever. Like I said i hate to nitpick here because there are alot of nice details, just wish it was more to see

# 90 BA2929 @ 08/07/15 02:47 PM
Quote:
Spoiler

Well if you watch the video the grey/off-white coloring on his leg sleeves actually moves, and it's the same grey/off-white coloring that's on the shadow of his jersey..

It is a shadow
Quote:
What colors do you see in this picture?

Spoiler

The brace is white. It only looks grey because of the black padding bleeding through.

# 91 jeremym480 @ 08/07/15 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Beyond the shadows... does that mean out of the dark drab arenas?
Probably so... then again Beyond the Shadows could be Frequency Vibrations second cousin. Find out Monday August 10th #2K16 #BeTheStory #GreatnessAwaits #NotTheFather #BreakTheInternet #2k16 #PreorderNow

# 92 cthurt @ 08/07/15 02:53 PM
Now that 23 has brought it up it does look very grayish to me hopefully we can edit the color of it I would just leave it black if possible.

# 93 redsox4evur @ 08/07/15 02:55 PM
Curry's ankle brace is the dress 2.0...Illuminati confirmed.

# 94 Goffs @ 08/07/15 02:57 PM
Beyond the shadows?

There you go guys the teaser/sizzle trailer will show off the new lighting system!

# 95 23 @ 08/07/15 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Beyond the shadows?

There you go guys the teaser/sizzle trailer will show off the new lighting system!
Oh i get it. It's like watching the whole game in the black out team intro lighting?

# 96 Sundown @ 08/07/15 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Thats not grey, its still white, and its not a shadow

That grainy pic you just posted is a bad reference because the lighting is all messed up.

Anyway, whatever. Like I said i hate to nitpick here because there are alot of nice details, just wish it was more to see
The braces are a cool/off/grey-ish white with warm/brighter white straps. It's really two-toned. If anything, the straps should be brighter-- probably the whole brace itself too, but it's hard to tell if they're a tad darker because of the ambient occlusion shadowing or if they're just a tad too dark.

# 97 Sitew33 @ 08/07/15 03:09 PM
Close up for the ankle brace debate.

# 98 ojandpizza @ 08/07/15 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
What colors do you see in this picture?

Spoiler

The brace is white. It only looks grey because of the black padding bleeding through.

So it looks grey because the padding in real life, yet it's a problem that it looks grey in the game.... Ok then.

# 99 kgbrolic @ 08/07/15 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
Look at tha flick of tha wrist!!
Wooooooooooooo!!!

# 100 The 24th Letter @ 08/07/15 03:15 PM

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.