Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Madden NFL 17 address all three phases of the game on offense, defense, and special teams.

Quote:
Let's start with offense and the new Ball Carrier Controls. We’ve added a tiered system to the types of special moves different players are able to pull off – depending on their attributes, ratings and speed. So now, expect your bigger bruising backs to be more effective with truck moves and stiff arms, while smaller, shiftier backs have more effective jukes and spins. Now don't worry if you’re not a magician yet on the sticks. New Ball Carrier UI Prompts help teach moves available to you, while the new Path Assist helps you navigate and anticipate down field. Additionally on lower skill levels, you can put the work on us and we will pick the appropriate moves for you, unlocking the fun for all of our players. Now, onto the defensive side of the ball.

While the new tools on offense make you a better, more creative ball carrier, the New Defensive AI System is built on up to date NFL Strategies – such as Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages. It’s time to force your opponents to stop being so one dimensional. New Gap Play AI brings a new level of NFL authenticity and strategy to your defensive teammates. Each of your teammates has a gap assignment on run defense that puts them in position to better defend the run. Force defenders protect the outside of the field, pushing the ball carrier back inside allowing cut back defenders to make the big play. Finally Zone Coverage has been completely overhauled, with the addition of 8 new zone concepts never before seen in Madden. Defenders have more awareness of threats to each zone and can pattern match receivers, creating defensive counters to stop virtually every passing concept. It's our most realistic AI to date and it's across the entire field.

Special Teams, the 3rd phase of football, is where big games are often won and lost. For the first time years we’re bringing the excitement back to special teams. A New Kick Meter is designed to increase the challenge of the kicking game like we see in today’s NFL. Additionally, the ability to ice the kicker allows you to turn up the pressure on those late game winning field goal attempts. New trick plays and a new block kick mechanic add new elements to the risk and reward of Special Teams.

Some features...

GROUND GAME
All-New on Both Sides of The Ball - Experience the most balanced gameplay to date on offense making you a better, more creative ball carrier, while new defensive AI puts your teammates into position to stop the run or passing game.

FRANCHISE
Redesigned and Deeper Than Ever - Take your team all the way in the deepest Franchise mode to-date, putting you at the center of your team’s Championship run.

PRESENTATION
See It and Hear It to Believe It - Feel and experience the game from a new perspective - focused on you.

MADDEN 365
Never Miss a Beat - If it happens in the NFL, it happens in Madden. Experience fresh content daily for your football fix.

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 jpdavis82 @ 05/13/16 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
if they want us paying more for CFM, i can promise i wont purchase another madden game ever.Wouldn't surprise me with grEedA but i wont go along with it.

I don't know what it is, we will have to wait and see, hopefully not.

# 102 Cowboy008 @ 05/13/16 09:01 AM
If we have to pay more for CFM content then I'm out. There's no reason to pay for things in CFM. It should come with everything already and you shouldn't have to pay to get more content this isn't MUT.

# 103 cthurt @ 05/13/16 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Comparison shot of Gurley in 17 vs IRL I just made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could this be a hint of signature animations being in the game, hmmmm tell me more EA.

# 104 jb12780 @ 05/13/16 09:03 AM
EA isn't that stupid to make CFM stuff cost money. Look at the backlash that 2k got. Would be a huge heel turn for EA and the Madden series after last year.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

# 105 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 09:04 AM
Quote:
I don't know what it is, we will have to wait and see, hopefully not.
the fact they kept going back to that topic,eventhough the callers were not taking the bait, except one guy, and asking people to call in give stuff they are "willing to pay for" just really leads me to think thats where its heading in either madden 18 or 19. That just makes me sick. Paying for a "deluxe edition" for CFM is just a joke.Just them talking about it so much really has me worried about it .

Ive met alot of cool guys thru CFM and being a commish since madden 12.Bult some friendships thru it and those guys still in the league. I hate the idea id have to walk away from that because EA has to be so dang greedy. That just really ticks me off.They making plenty of money on madden as it is.

# 106 SolidSquid @ 05/13/16 09:04 AM
Quote:
Comparison shot of Gurley in 17 vs IRL I just made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First two things I noticed were the lack of a lip guard and that the colors on madden don't pop. The pose is spot on though

# 107 CM Hooe @ 05/13/16 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
These are not just general improvements. Let's take zones, for example.

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/...tures-overview

"Finally Zone Coverage has been completely overhauled, with the addition of 8 new zone concepts never before seen in Madden. Defenders have more awareness of threats to each zone and can pattern match receivers, creating defensive counters to stop virtually every passing concept"

Read this. Time to get excited gentlemen.
http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2010/2/...ttern-matching
I'm quoting Rex for emphasis because this is important.

The "drop to spot" zone coverage concept that's been in every football game since the dawn of time is, while not necessarily wrong, a naive implementation of zone defense. NFL teams and FBS level college teams don't play drop-to-spot zones really at all, they use pattern match zone defenses. An NFL linebacker in a Cover 3 match defense doesn't wait for receivers to enter his assigned region of the field in a stubborn hook zone assignment, rather he tracks multiple receivers and based on their route combinations works towards a specific receiver.

If Tiburon nails pattern matching in Madden 17, you can basically take everything you know about how zone defense operates in Madden 16 and any other football video game you've ever played and chuck it out the window. This is not a token "we improved defensive AI this year" change, this is a concept that fundamentally changes how one calls and strategizes pass defense in Madden. Assuming they get it right or even somewhere close, this is a real-life advanced football concept you must learn to succeed in Madden going forward.

# 108 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
If we have to pay more for CFM content than I'm out. There's no reason to pay for things in CFM. It should come with everything already and you shouldn't have to pay to get more content this isn't MUT.
Agreed, at that point , if they did that, you wouldnt be able to even get but half a game for 60$ . Everything would start being a paid for mode.Screw that.

# 109 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/13/16 09:08 AM
Yes, I am interested in seeing exact quotes from the show. Or if someone could provide me a link to a video or audio of thd show, that would be great. It's one thing to ask for feedback on things like this and take a look down that Avenue to try and maximize profits. It's another thing to actually put things into motion to actually implement a money making tactic like that.

Nobody here wants that and I think the backlash would be to great for them to actually do it. Their ultimate job though is to make money and if they thought it was worth it to mention the idea to the public, fine. But no way do I see them doing it.

The only thing I could possibly see them doing is adding legends to the FA pool via pre orders and paid content. I don't like the idea but I would still buy Madden. Now, if they put features behind a pay wall, I'm out. Goodbye, cya later.

# 110 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/13/16 09:12 AM
Quote:
Agreed, at that point , if they did that, you wouldnt be able to even get but half a game for 60$ . Everything would start being a paid for mode.Screw that.
If it were only legends they asked you to buy to use In CFM, would you still not purchase Madden?

I think at that point, it's only an option that in no way affects my game. It's not a pay to win scheme. And I wouldn't even use them, so Madden wouldn't even get my money. If someone else wants to purchase Legends to add to their FA pool, that's great, good for them.

# 111 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaresacksqb
Yes, I am interested in seeing exact quotes from the show. Or if someone could provide me a link to a video or audio of thd show, that would be great. It's one thing to ask for feedback on things like this and take a look down that Avenue to try and maximize profits. It's another thing to actually put things into motion to actually implement a money making tactic like that.

Nobody here wants that and I think the backlash would be to great for them to actually do it. Their ultimate job though is to make money and if they thought it was worth it to mention the idea to the public, fine. But no way do I see them doing it.

The only thing I could possibly see them doing is adding legends to the FA pool via pre orders and paid content. I don't like the idea but I would still buy Madden. Now, if they put features behind a pay wall, I'm out. Goodbye, cya later.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/simstan...l-cfm-and-more

Rex told them the CFM devs were all listening last night, and they kept going back to "what would you be willing to pay for" ..... to me, seemed alot like, trying to see if people would just pony up what they would pay for, sadly i didnt hear anyone call in and say F that.That is kind of what makes me feel uneasy about it .

I hope your right , and would like to think your right, the backlash would be huge.But i know one thing, people can be conditioned slowly to accept things( just take a look around society today).People either push back when the idea is introduced, or your will find it a part of your reality soon.

# 112 EricFreakingBerry @ 05/13/16 09:13 AM
Now hopefully they addressed the sim engine and actually take the time to simulate 10+ years when all of the real players retire. Very tired of the horrible sack stats once the real guys hang up their cleats, and the XP slider had no impact on it.

# 113 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 09:16 AM
Quote:
If it were only legends they asked you to buy to use In CFM, would you still not purchase Madden?

I think at that point, it's only an option that in no way affects my game. It's not a pay to win scheme. And I wouldn't even use them, so Madden wouldn't even get my money. If someone else wants to purchase Legends to add to their FA pool, that's great, good for them.
yes something like that , no problem , id still buy, as you said it really doesnt effect anything.However they were more asking for features it seemed, what kinda things would you be willing to pay more for.Thats what im not about to pay for and would have to walk away for good from madden.

# 114 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/13/16 09:23 AM
Quote:
yes something like that , no problem , id still buy, as you said it really doesnt effect anything.However they were more asking for features it seemed, what kinda things would you be willing to pay more for.Thats what im not about to pay for and would have to walk away for good from madden.
Let's hope it's not equipment they want behind a pay wall. Oh you like these new under armor high top cleats? $1.99. Or you could purchase our Nike equipment pack including cleats, visor, sleeves and gloves for the low price of 5.99.

# 115 howboutdat @ 05/13/16 09:32 AM
and the issue isnt just about the show last night, its the fact this is not the first GC ive heard asking this same question.It seems like EA is fishing to see what people would be willing to pay for in CFM, when ive heard it from numerous GC over the last couple of years now.

# 116 DeuceDouglas @ 05/13/16 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'm quoting Rex for emphasis because this is important.

The "drop to spot" zone coverage concept that's been in every football game since the dawn of time is, while not necessarily wrong, a naive implementation of zone defense. NFL teams and FBS level college teams don't play drop-to-spot zones really at all, they use pattern match zone defenses. An NFL linebacker in a Cover 3 match defense doesn't wait for receivers to enter his assigned region of the field in a stubborn hook zone assignment, rather he tracks multiple receivers and based on their route combinations works towards a specific receiver.

If Tiburon nails pattern matching in Madden 17, you can basically take everything you know about how zone defense operates in Madden 16 and any other football video game you've ever played and chuck it out the window. This is not a token "we improved defensive AI this year" change, this is a concept that fundamentally changes how one calls and strategizes pass defense in Madden. Assuming they get it right or even somewhere close, this is a real-life advanced football concept you must learn to succeed in Madden going forward.
The drop-to-spot zones were what made defense extremely annoying in the last several iterations. Players (especially LB's) would drop into zones and wouldn't even acknowledge receivers in there zone until the ball was thrown or the QB if he was scrambling until he crossed the line. Same thing seemed to happen with flat zones too where even if the guy was in the flat the player wouldn't really acknowledge him until he was close enough. So hopefully this results in more of the AI adapting to the play that the offense called rather than running their play and that's pretty much it because that would be great for both sides of the ball as a user.

Quote:

That's how it starts though and it only get's worse from there. They might start you off with legends and coaches or something like that and if people pay it's only going to increase to potentially things like scouting packages or training packages or XP boost type things. I would highly, highly doubt they would ever go there but with the way things are now it's entirely possible.

# 117 CarolinaBlue02 @ 05/13/16 09:55 AM
I cant remember the last time I bought Madden. This game just doesnt do it for me. I was always an NCAA guy, but would love to play a good NFL game. I played last years game a few times and couldnt get into it. EA and Madden do a great job with how they market the game and suck people in; only to fail on delivering their promises.

We'll see how this year goes. I will admit some of the things they are saying (gap fits, better zone coverage, blocked kicks etc) seem promising, but we have all been down this road before. I would love to see these things come to fruition also hope they include some other things as well. How about bad snaps, interactive sidelines, formation/auto subs, editable draft class, better accessories, better line play on both sides of the ball, new commentary, just to name a few.

# 118 Gman 18 @ 05/13/16 10:00 AM
Special Teams, the 3rd phase of football, is where big games are often won and lost. For the first time years we’re bringing the excitement back to special teams. A New Kick Meter is designed to increase the challenge of the kicking game like we see in today’s NFL. Additionally, the ability to ice the kicker allows you to turn up the pressure on those late game winning field goal attempts. New trick plays and a new block kick mechanic add new elements to the risk and reward of Special Teams.

What I got from this is that special teams allegedly was focused on in the development of madden 17. The revamping of the kick meter sounds intriguing, and this year if awareness and consistency play more of a factor in the kicking game then we have a potentially great additon here. The fact of the matter is that the kicking meter receives an overhaul on a very frequent basis. We have yet to see any real consistency with this aspect of the game and this time around, implementation of it is paramount. It's always good to see SOME focus on such an important part of the game.

However, the rest of the details in the paragraph don't resonate with me nearly as much. Instead of a new block kick mechanic, why can't missed assignments by the o-line, composure of the kicker/holder, and the speed/recognition of the guys defending the field-goal unit play a role in whether or not the ball goes straight through the goal post or gets blocked? Hell, the wing-span of the interior d-lineman defending the kick should play a role as a well. If im not mistaken, former Seahawks 350 pound nose tackle Red Bryant blocked a couple of kicks in his time with Seattle and there are plenty of other examples of interior guys impacting the kick as well.

All in all, this new mechanic will likely be exploited from day one and multiple blocked kicks every game will be the result. Casual madden players will do anything they can to exploit the game but maybe the devs have a better hold of exploits in this game.

If special teams is truly being emphasized and being made as life-like as possible, how come we aren't hearing about an ability to set your entire special-teams lineup or any new blocking assignments/pursuit assignments for returns and kickoffs/punt, respectively? On a kick return, the little things
are what make a play work or completely crumble. Whether everybody executes their assignments with ease or some guys miss their blocks and the returnman has to try much harder to navigate his way down field. Details like this would really gap the difference between a seasoned returnman like Leon Washington and a speedster off the street like Preston Parker.

# 119 Big_Blue @ 05/13/16 10:11 AM
extremely excited about all 3 phases of gameplay improvement, most so about improved ball carrier uniqueness and improved locomotion. good **** tiburon

# 120 Gapiro @ 05/13/16 10:13 AM
I skipped Madden 16 so i'm hoping this isn't a dud. The special teams mention got me hopeful that they might put a special teams lineup in to the game but it that wasn't mentioned. Any changes to the special team approach is something to be excited about imo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.