Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K15 Day One Impressions

With WWE 2K15 having kind of a strange release schedule, a lot of users have been waiting to see whether the new consoles make this year's entry worthy of the upgrade. After spending some time with the Xbox One version, it's safe to say that 2K's influence on this year's product is obvious. From some of the subtle animations changes and presentational flair, everything has received a boost in some way.

Then again, from what I've seen, there are clearly areas where corners have been cut to ship a product on time, such as missing modes, a smaller roster and a diminished creation suite. We're not talking NHL 15 levels of feature and mode omission here, but there are some items missing, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Some users are quite upset at only 25 create-a-wrestler spots, for instance, compared to 100 on previous generation hardware.

Here are some of my quick impressions:

• In terms of presentation, the game has a lot of positives. Improved facial detail, better hair tech, additional lighting and denser crowds are some of the elements I noticed immediately, and some of the entrances are downright uncanny in their accuracy.

• In-match presentation seems like a half-step up from last year. There are some different camera cuts and altered replay packages, and some new fatigue and desperation animations do add a lot of emotion. It was neat seeing my created character dive from his knees to break up a pin in a triple threat match or fall down to one knee after hitting a finisher. Still, a lot of legacy animations and sliding are noticeable.

• The biggest gameplay addition is chain wrestling, and I like it quite a lot. It's a rock-paper-scissors concept. The idea is that both characters start a match fresh and shouldn't just be able to execute grapple moves. By selecting either wristlock, waistlock or side headlock, you'll go into a little sequence of cat and mouse, trying to outthink your opponent. The interface is a bit busy, but I love the conceit of the feature.

• Stuff like weapons, catapult finishers, OMG moments and finishers remain the same, but the stamina of each character is represented as well as their overall health. If you do moves in quick succession, you'll greatly diminish your stamina. This becomes a consideration later in matches, as you might not be able to follow up on a big move.

• Gameplay, on the whole, feels familiar but with some added emphasis on stamina and pacing. The emotion found in some animations and "selling" adds to certain matches, but a lot of contests will play out as squashes, one way or the other. Strike and running spam has been reduced, thanks to slower animations, but some of these repetitive elements are still present.

• The MyCareer mode is generally entertaining, if a little bit plain. The ability to go up through NXT and onto the bigger shows (Superstars, Smackdown, etc) is a solid base, and you get some level of agency about your fate. Sometimes you get several match choices, and certain matches will gain you followers on social media, while others gain you VC and more skills points to improve your character. It's a question of climbing the ladder faster or safer.

• Some moments did seem pre-destined, though, as a booker would say I had a terrible match when it was rated four stars right after. Kind of odd. It seems like they want you to progress at certain points and just kind of make an excuse to do so. Still, since you can't really lose, it's fun to see what happens when you do.

• Funnily enough, you almost have to lose a bunch in the career mode, as "doing the job" seems like part of the design. You're just not strong enough to handle most of the big boys early on, and I found myself trying to get DQ'd to hold onto the NXT title. That didn't work for long!

• The social media and out-of-ring stuff is pretty limited for a lot of the mode, but it is there in some respects. Again, this seems like something that will be much bigger in future years, but what's there is kind of cool.

• The creation features for entrances and such are pretty speedy, and you see an animated gif of pyros and editable moments, which saves egregious loading times in these areas. Loading times overall are pretty good.

• Universe mode looks mostly the same, with the ability to discover "clues" by playing and simming storylines. These clues will provide the seeds for more interesting feuds and stories in the future. You can set short, medium and long rivalries, as before. There are 861 clues to collect.

• The 2K Showcase mode looks to have the same quality bar from the Attitude and WrestleMania versions, but now with one-on-one feuds. I played some of CM Punk vs. John Cena, and there were lots of video montages and cinematic moments, including historical objectives. I'm not sure if these rivalries really match up to the previous ideas in this mode, but they are more of that type of experience, if that's what you're after.

• The John Cena–curated soundtrack is only 12 tracks, and well…. Yeah, some of those songs are just awful. To be fair, some are decent.

Outlook

I'm interested to get further into MyCareer and play some more of the 2K Showcase mode. I haven't had much of a chance to get online yet, so that's also a point of interest. A day-one patch adds six-player support for online, by the way. What's here seems like a reasonably featured wrestling product with solid gameplay and a new shine, and it's been fun to improve my created character.

The full review of WWE 2K15 (Xbox One and PS4) will be up on OS this week.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 CaliDude916 @ 11/28/14 12:35 AM
Gonna pick this up at midnight when GameStop opens.

# 202 rdros23 @ 11/29/14 11:38 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for someone to write a full review of the game for my website: www.topropepress.com

If you're interested get ahold of me at: TopRopePressATgmail.com

Thanks!

# 203 bodean @ 11/29/14 08:55 PM
Overall fun game.
What I don't like, first, hitting LT when prompted on Xbox One seems to be always early or late. Also, it seems after you are pinned twice and kick out, the next pin there is no hope to kick out, so the match is over. Also, game seems a little repetitive, especially in My Career. I made a wrestler, seems like the basic moves get a bit stale. I will try adding new moves to add more enjoyment, but the basic move set is very stale. Hope to see another patch sooner than later.

# 204 bigbob @ 11/29/14 10:05 PM
Returned Advanced Warfare, never opened it. Picked this up and am loving the Showcase.

Edit:

For those simulating and not really messing with matches in Universe Mode, watch out. Dean Ambrose won the Rumble and faced Bryan (won the championship) in a non-championship match.

# 205 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 11/29/14 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Carnage
You on PS4 or Xbox One. If you're on the 4 I've got a Sting code.
May I have it my boy a big sting fan and I forgot to pre order kt for him

# 206 CaliDude916 @ 11/30/14 02:09 AM
Still not able to exit the cell through the door. Looks like they put one on there but it's useless.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

# 207 NYBorn81 @ 11/30/14 03:38 AM
Anybody got an extra Sting code for the X1 laying around anywhere, holla at cha boy.

# 208 RGiles36 @ 11/30/14 12:36 PM
New to the next gen version, but I certainly see why the gameplay is spoken so highly of. WOW!

Only been bouncing around in exhibition bc some of the game save bugs make me nervous (am aware of the workaround). Only gripe right now is that I can't get a lengthy match with slow momentum settings. I'm tinkering with reversal damage and stamina settings, but I think momentum still acrues too fast when you want a longer contest.

# 209 CaliDude916 @ 11/30/14 04:14 PM
I love this game. Easily my favorite in the series.

# 210 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 11/30/14 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Carnage
if only you had caught me earlier. Someone beat you to it.
It's ok man thank you. Hey guys how do you do the different grapple moves. The manual on the website isn't helpful

# 211 BMDinTDOT @ 12/01/14 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBorn81
Anybody got an extra Sting code for the X1 laying around anywhere, holla at cha boy.
I've got one willing to sell for $10 let me know if you want it
before I offer it to others.

# 212 pimpinpidgeon8 @ 12/01/14 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDinTDOT
I've got one willing to sell for $10 let me know if you want it

before I offer it to others.

$10? Dude that's a ripoff. They normally allow preordered dlc to be downloaded for $1.99 after a few months. $10 is crazy to ask for.

# 213 cjallure24 @ 12/02/14 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinpidgeon8
$10? Dude that's a ripoff. They normally allow preordered dlc to be downloaded for $1.99 after a few months. $10 is crazy to ask for.
There's also one on Amazon for 9.49.

# 214 eremiomania @ 12/02/14 01:07 PM
Well, since it's begging season. Anyone have an extra Hogan PS4 code, brother?

# 215 pimpinpidgeon8 @ 12/02/14 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjallure24
There's also one on Amazon for 9.49.
That's straight crap. No character in any game is worth $10 themselves. Anyone dumb enough to buy something like that for that kind of price should have their head examined.

# 216 cjallure24 @ 12/02/14 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinpidgeon8
That's straight crap. No character in any game is worth $10 themselves. Anyone dumb enough to buy something like that for that kind of price should have their head examined.
Anyone else feel like they missed out on a huge opportunity with the whole Black Friday and a Cyber Monday, by releasing a dlc?

# 217 PVarck31 @ 12/03/14 01:36 AM
No selling on OS.

# 218 RGiles36 @ 12/03/14 11:46 AM
Small detail: I like that I can turn the in game hubs off, but still get the 'keys' indicating I can pull off a finisher, signature, roll out of ring, etc. Last year with the hub completely off, you got no feedback at all, which lead to me missing on OMG and signature opportunities.

# 219 tbread28 @ 12/23/14 10:01 AM
Anyone how many created wrestlers you can make in Xbox 360 version? Is there a limit of how many created wrestlers you can download a day? Also, if you buy season pass what does it include? Does it include all unlockable wrestlers and story mode? What wrestlers does season pass not include?

# 220 bigbob @ 12/23/14 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbread28
Anyone how many created wrestlers you can make in Xbox 360 version? Is there a limit of how many created wrestlers you can download a day? Also, if you buy season pass what does it include? Does it include all unlockable wrestlers and story mode? What wrestlers does season pass not include?
You can have 100 CAWs.

I don't believe there's a limit on the last-gen.

The Season Pass includes:

Quote:
Access to exclusive playable WWE Diva Paige;
Accelerator (access to all unlockable content available in the game);
Access to all three 2K Showcase stories (One More Match, Hall of Pain and Path of the Warrior).
It does not include the WCW, NXT or Moves packs:

Quote:
WCW Pack
Playable WCW Superstars: Fit Finlay, Lord Steven Regal, Bam Bam Bigelow, Diamond Dallas Page and Lex Luger;
The WCW Pack will be available for a suggested price of $7.99.

NXT Arrival
Playable NXT Superstars: JBL, Adam Rose and The Ascension (Konnor and Victor);
Playable NXT Diva: Emma;
NXT Arrival will be available for a suggested price of $6.99.

New Moves Pack
Moves Pack: More than 30 new moves, including an alternate version of Sister Abigail (performed from the ring corner and made popular by Bray Wyatt) and Multiple Gut Wrenches (made popular by Cesaro);
The New Moves Pack will be available for a suggested price of $3.99.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.