Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K15 Day One Impressions

With WWE 2K15 having kind of a strange release schedule, a lot of users have been waiting to see whether the new consoles make this year's entry worthy of the upgrade. After spending some time with the Xbox One version, it's safe to say that 2K's influence on this year's product is obvious. From some of the subtle animations changes and presentational flair, everything has received a boost in some way.

Then again, from what I've seen, there are clearly areas where corners have been cut to ship a product on time, such as missing modes, a smaller roster and a diminished creation suite. We're not talking NHL 15 levels of feature and mode omission here, but there are some items missing, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Some users are quite upset at only 25 create-a-wrestler spots, for instance, compared to 100 on previous generation hardware.

Here are some of my quick impressions:

• In terms of presentation, the game has a lot of positives. Improved facial detail, better hair tech, additional lighting and denser crowds are some of the elements I noticed immediately, and some of the entrances are downright uncanny in their accuracy.

• In-match presentation seems like a half-step up from last year. There are some different camera cuts and altered replay packages, and some new fatigue and desperation animations do add a lot of emotion. It was neat seeing my created character dive from his knees to break up a pin in a triple threat match or fall down to one knee after hitting a finisher. Still, a lot of legacy animations and sliding are noticeable.

• The biggest gameplay addition is chain wrestling, and I like it quite a lot. It's a rock-paper-scissors concept. The idea is that both characters start a match fresh and shouldn't just be able to execute grapple moves. By selecting either wristlock, waistlock or side headlock, you'll go into a little sequence of cat and mouse, trying to outthink your opponent. The interface is a bit busy, but I love the conceit of the feature.

• Stuff like weapons, catapult finishers, OMG moments and finishers remain the same, but the stamina of each character is represented as well as their overall health. If you do moves in quick succession, you'll greatly diminish your stamina. This becomes a consideration later in matches, as you might not be able to follow up on a big move.

• Gameplay, on the whole, feels familiar but with some added emphasis on stamina and pacing. The emotion found in some animations and "selling" adds to certain matches, but a lot of contests will play out as squashes, one way or the other. Strike and running spam has been reduced, thanks to slower animations, but some of these repetitive elements are still present.

• The MyCareer mode is generally entertaining, if a little bit plain. The ability to go up through NXT and onto the bigger shows (Superstars, Smackdown, etc) is a solid base, and you get some level of agency about your fate. Sometimes you get several match choices, and certain matches will gain you followers on social media, while others gain you VC and more skills points to improve your character. It's a question of climbing the ladder faster or safer.

• Some moments did seem pre-destined, though, as a booker would say I had a terrible match when it was rated four stars right after. Kind of odd. It seems like they want you to progress at certain points and just kind of make an excuse to do so. Still, since you can't really lose, it's fun to see what happens when you do.

• Funnily enough, you almost have to lose a bunch in the career mode, as "doing the job" seems like part of the design. You're just not strong enough to handle most of the big boys early on, and I found myself trying to get DQ'd to hold onto the NXT title. That didn't work for long!

• The social media and out-of-ring stuff is pretty limited for a lot of the mode, but it is there in some respects. Again, this seems like something that will be much bigger in future years, but what's there is kind of cool.

• The creation features for entrances and such are pretty speedy, and you see an animated gif of pyros and editable moments, which saves egregious loading times in these areas. Loading times overall are pretty good.

• Universe mode looks mostly the same, with the ability to discover "clues" by playing and simming storylines. These clues will provide the seeds for more interesting feuds and stories in the future. You can set short, medium and long rivalries, as before. There are 861 clues to collect.

• The 2K Showcase mode looks to have the same quality bar from the Attitude and WrestleMania versions, but now with one-on-one feuds. I played some of CM Punk vs. John Cena, and there were lots of video montages and cinematic moments, including historical objectives. I'm not sure if these rivalries really match up to the previous ideas in this mode, but they are more of that type of experience, if that's what you're after.

• The John Cena–curated soundtrack is only 12 tracks, and well…. Yeah, some of those songs are just awful. To be fair, some are decent.

Outlook

I'm interested to get further into MyCareer and play some more of the 2K Showcase mode. I haven't had much of a chance to get online yet, so that's also a point of interest. A day-one patch adds six-player support for online, by the way. What's here seems like a reasonably featured wrestling product with solid gameplay and a new shine, and it's been fun to improve my created character.

The full review of WWE 2K15 (Xbox One and PS4) will be up on OS this week.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Sharpshooter1992 @ 11/21/14 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I wasn't that impressed with the graphics looking at videos...but once I played I have to say that the game looks really good. I actually like the pace of the matches, everything flows really well. I love the way damage\fatigue is done.

I heard everyone complaining about commentary and pretty much brushed it off...but it really is an ugly spot, It's something I never comment on, but it sticks our like a sore thumb. If they have to get generic, or 'B' announcers to commentate because they can't get Cole\Jerry in the studio long enough, then man, I'd be ok with it.
I would love hearing Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby the Brain Heenan do commentary.

# 162 Pappy Knuckles @ 11/21/14 08:00 PM
Can someone tell me how to climb to the top rope? I go to the middle rope every time.

# 163 Sinner @ 11/21/14 08:08 PM
Even with things taken out and the problems I've had.......have to say as far as game play the more I play the more I'm enjoying....at least for now. Can't imagine what this can be like in a few more years.

# 164 Pappy Knuckles @ 11/21/14 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Can someone tell me how to climb to the top rope? I go to the middle rope every time.
Thanks for nothing, OS! Lol. I found out that you have to actually run into the corner to make them climb the top rope. I'm good to go now.

# 165 Cowboy008 @ 11/22/14 01:55 AM
Just had to start over because of the save. Had to redo all the entrances and attires I made. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

# 166 DTX3 @ 11/22/14 03:32 AM
bought the game even though I said I wouldn't. loving the pace so far one little thing that I seen was Shawn Michaels finally flips to take the turnbuckle bump with his back! love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 167 birthday_massacre @ 11/22/14 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
You need to buy it with your points.

# 168 AirJordanFan93 @ 11/22/14 05:46 AM
So I bought it despite saying I was gonna pass due to the more than negative response following release. Gameplay feels fine though I can see why people don't like it. I really like the chain wrestling aspect but I find its too easy to gain control. My big issue with the gameplay is the reversals I find the timing fairly poor and its the big negative in matches. Other than that the gameplay feels like a step up than what was in the last few THQ games. The other big issue I have is the lone pin timing rather than button mashing. The button mash option was always worlds better than the timing option and is another poor removal choice. With more development we could get a very good series going forward.

# 169 ClassActFan @ 11/22/14 10:36 AM
Hey guys, I'm short on time, but I have a few questions and would really appreciate having them answered:

1.) Is Universe Mode pretty deep this year? I mean, I haven't played since WWE '13. How 'new' would the mode be to somebody like me?

2.) How's the online play?

I think I'm going to pass on the game, but I'm still considering it. With GTA V (and the Halo: MCC when the multiplayer becomes consistent by the year 2017) taking up my time, I doubt I'll give it much of any play after two weeks, but the game looks gorgeous and the new MyCareer (or whatever it's called, if I butchered the name) looks extremely fun.

# 170 woody2goody @ 11/22/14 03:00 PM
It seems that the kickout meter is strange this year. It seems to be stopping in set places, I don't know if that's just me being rubbish as normal or if it's a design choice.

# 171 SmashMan @ 11/22/14 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
It seems that the kickout meter is strange this year. It seems to be stopping in set places, I don't know if that's just me being rubbish as normal or if it's a design choice.
I haven't experienced that, but I really dislike how fast the meter moves this year. I usually don't mind the meter, but it's really tough for me to get a gauge on it so far. It's like, unless it's really early in the match and I have the huge window, I have no shot at kicking out.

Unless that's just me?

# 172 oakview80 @ 11/22/14 07:27 PM
I'm loving this game! Career mode is a ton of fun so far and just bought the accelerator and started creating the universe. The wrestling is second to none. Very realistic and sim.

# 173 Klew1987 @ 11/22/14 08:47 PM
Not a fan of this game. I feel like every time the CPU gets on a roll, its near impossible to stop them. Or to reverse and timing of the R2 (Ps4) is also VERY tough. Getting very frustrated.

# 174 woody2goody @ 11/23/14 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
I haven't experienced that, but I really dislike how fast the meter moves this year. I usually don't mind the meter, but it's really tough for me to get a gauge on it so far. It's like, unless it's really early in the match and I have the huge window, I have no shot at kicking out.

Unless that's just me?
I'm a bit like that. I was never amazing at kicking out, but usually even after a finisher I felt like I had a chance. Don't get me wrong, I like that you are actually in real trouble when you get pinned, but I don't want to be losing to a back suplex or a headbutt.

Adds a bit of unpredictability but I just wish the meter was a little bit kinder, especially in the early to middle part of the match.

I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot more though having got stuck into it properly. With the right opponents you can have great matches.

# 175 AirJordanFan93 @ 11/23/14 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassActFan
Hey guys, I'm short on time, but I have a few questions and would really appreciate having them answered:

1.) Is Universe Mode pretty deep this year? I mean, I haven't played since WWE '13. How 'new' would the mode be to somebody like me?

2.) How's the online play?

I think I'm going to pass on the game, but I'm still considering it. With GTA V (and the Halo: MCC when the multiplayer becomes consistent by the year 2017) taking up my time, I doubt I'll give it much of any play after two weeks, but the game looks gorgeous and the new MyCareer (or whatever it's called, if I butchered the name) looks extremely fun.
Well Universe is pretty much the same as it was in 2K14. They added a Rivalry Editor in which you can make your own rivalries by deciding on 2 wrestlers and the length of the feud but its not as great as it sounds. Other than that its pretty much the same as it would of been in WWE'13

# 176 AirJordanFan93 @ 11/23/14 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1987
Not a fan of this game. I feel like every time the CPU gets on a roll, its near impossible to stop them. Or to reverse and timing of the R2 (Ps4) is also VERY tough. Getting very frustrated.
Im glad its like that. One of the biggest issues I had with these games for years was how weak the AI was. I could go through a long run of matches taking very little damage but now the AI actually does stuff which is good.

# 177 MachoMyers @ 11/23/14 09:26 AM
Going through the HBK/HHH Showcase. I can't believe the Katie Vick references they keep throwing out. I tried so hard to remove that angle from all memory. Thanks for reminding me 2K.

# 178 m_maclean24 @ 11/23/14 01:46 PM
Picked this up Friday night and jumped right into a Mycareer mode. I haven't played a wrestling game or even watched wrestling since the days of PS2, but the game peaked my interest.

I played four matches, a couple of them being training matches. I'm enjoying so far. Took me a couple of matches to get onto the controls and chain wrestling, but I picked up the basics pretty quickly, which is important.

As I'm not really a huge wrestling fan, it's hard for me to comment on how accurate the game is to the actual sport, but in my opionion it looks top notch. The animations of moves and attention to smaller details are catching my eye.

The lack of 100 CAW slots and is not a huge issue to me, but I could certainly see it being and issue for some.

Glad I made the purchase so far.

# 179 bababooey76 @ 11/23/14 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by molendie
Finally found one of the features stripped out that does piss me off and affect how I play the game. I create a lot of tag teams. I can't believe they stripped out all extra tag entrances except 2. Same with trio. Even if I DL a Scott Hall CAW, no NWO entrance. uuuugh. I guess I was spoiled having NWO in last years

It is awesome that CM Punks old song is in though. So much better than Cult of Personality.
The music is there though if you use Hollywood Hogan.

# 180 franch1se @ 11/23/14 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_maclean24
The lack of 100 CAW slots and is not a huge issue to me, but I could certainly see it being and issue for some.
I don't download that many CAWS, but the 25 is an issue for me in that whenever you edit a superstars attire it takes up a CAW slot, and a lot of the characters are outdated.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.