Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K15 Day One Impressions

With WWE 2K15 having kind of a strange release schedule, a lot of users have been waiting to see whether the new consoles make this year's entry worthy of the upgrade. After spending some time with the Xbox One version, it's safe to say that 2K's influence on this year's product is obvious. From some of the subtle animations changes and presentational flair, everything has received a boost in some way.

Then again, from what I've seen, there are clearly areas where corners have been cut to ship a product on time, such as missing modes, a smaller roster and a diminished creation suite. We're not talking NHL 15 levels of feature and mode omission here, but there are some items missing, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Some users are quite upset at only 25 create-a-wrestler spots, for instance, compared to 100 on previous generation hardware.

Here are some of my quick impressions:

• In terms of presentation, the game has a lot of positives. Improved facial detail, better hair tech, additional lighting and denser crowds are some of the elements I noticed immediately, and some of the entrances are downright uncanny in their accuracy.

• In-match presentation seems like a half-step up from last year. There are some different camera cuts and altered replay packages, and some new fatigue and desperation animations do add a lot of emotion. It was neat seeing my created character dive from his knees to break up a pin in a triple threat match or fall down to one knee after hitting a finisher. Still, a lot of legacy animations and sliding are noticeable.

• The biggest gameplay addition is chain wrestling, and I like it quite a lot. It's a rock-paper-scissors concept. The idea is that both characters start a match fresh and shouldn't just be able to execute grapple moves. By selecting either wristlock, waistlock or side headlock, you'll go into a little sequence of cat and mouse, trying to outthink your opponent. The interface is a bit busy, but I love the conceit of the feature.

• Stuff like weapons, catapult finishers, OMG moments and finishers remain the same, but the stamina of each character is represented as well as their overall health. If you do moves in quick succession, you'll greatly diminish your stamina. This becomes a consideration later in matches, as you might not be able to follow up on a big move.

• Gameplay, on the whole, feels familiar but with some added emphasis on stamina and pacing. The emotion found in some animations and "selling" adds to certain matches, but a lot of contests will play out as squashes, one way or the other. Strike and running spam has been reduced, thanks to slower animations, but some of these repetitive elements are still present.

• The MyCareer mode is generally entertaining, if a little bit plain. The ability to go up through NXT and onto the bigger shows (Superstars, Smackdown, etc) is a solid base, and you get some level of agency about your fate. Sometimes you get several match choices, and certain matches will gain you followers on social media, while others gain you VC and more skills points to improve your character. It's a question of climbing the ladder faster or safer.

• Some moments did seem pre-destined, though, as a booker would say I had a terrible match when it was rated four stars right after. Kind of odd. It seems like they want you to progress at certain points and just kind of make an excuse to do so. Still, since you can't really lose, it's fun to see what happens when you do.

• Funnily enough, you almost have to lose a bunch in the career mode, as "doing the job" seems like part of the design. You're just not strong enough to handle most of the big boys early on, and I found myself trying to get DQ'd to hold onto the NXT title. That didn't work for long!

• The social media and out-of-ring stuff is pretty limited for a lot of the mode, but it is there in some respects. Again, this seems like something that will be much bigger in future years, but what's there is kind of cool.

• The creation features for entrances and such are pretty speedy, and you see an animated gif of pyros and editable moments, which saves egregious loading times in these areas. Loading times overall are pretty good.

• Universe mode looks mostly the same, with the ability to discover "clues" by playing and simming storylines. These clues will provide the seeds for more interesting feuds and stories in the future. You can set short, medium and long rivalries, as before. There are 861 clues to collect.

• The 2K Showcase mode looks to have the same quality bar from the Attitude and WrestleMania versions, but now with one-on-one feuds. I played some of CM Punk vs. John Cena, and there were lots of video montages and cinematic moments, including historical objectives. I'm not sure if these rivalries really match up to the previous ideas in this mode, but they are more of that type of experience, if that's what you're after.

• The John Cena–curated soundtrack is only 12 tracks, and well…. Yeah, some of those songs are just awful. To be fair, some are decent.

Outlook

I'm interested to get further into MyCareer and play some more of the 2K Showcase mode. I haven't had much of a chance to get online yet, so that's also a point of interest. A day-one patch adds six-player support for online, by the way. What's here seems like a reasonably featured wrestling product with solid gameplay and a new shine, and it's been fun to improve my created character.

The full review of WWE 2K15 (Xbox One and PS4) will be up on OS this week.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 eremiomania @ 11/19/14 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinpidgeon8
Ok, so I bought the season pass for $25 and purchased the accelerator for free. Now, how do I get it from the online store to my actual PS4? I have never bought anything this way before.

On your PS4, go to the PS store and then go to 'New' and then "New Add On's" I think it is. Sort it by Z-A and then you should see the accelerator and it should be free since you bought the season pass. click on it and download.

Go into the game. Go to options. Go to unlockables. Click square.

# 102 Steven547 @ 11/19/14 02:58 PM
The more I play, the more I start to enjoy it and be disappointed at the same time. With what everyone has been saying, the lack of match types is disheartening. The lack of numerous creation modes leaves one bewildered. There isn't even an instant replay during the match, like there was last year.

I like the numerous attributes per wrestler now. I think we have more a chance to get a "SIM" experience now. I put Santino's stats below 40 and he got whooped each time.

The pace of the game is slow, which is good and bad.
The "aiming" of the attacks is slightly off. Playing with Sheamus against The Miz, I felt I had to get in the Miz's face just to have the "reach" to punch him. I'm standing a foot away and still miss with a punch.

The camera angles are to be desired. If you or your opponent is knocked down by the wall in front of you, good luck seeing the action there. During testing, why didn't they catch this obvious camera blockage?

The crowd is also hit or miss. Not very exciting.

Commentary? For the love that is wrestling, please gives us the ability to turn this off next year if you're going to stay with the game group. But, didn't 2k say they revamped this?

All the marketing on the improvements to the game, I think I've seen maybe 25%. Overall, it's a decent upgrade, but it's not what 2k marketed it to be. With that said, it makes me wonder why we had to wait an additional 3 weeks for the next gen release.

# 103 Sharpshooter1992 @ 11/19/14 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
The more I play, the more I start to enjoy it and be disappointed at the same time. With what everyone has been saying, the lack of match types is disheartening. The lack of numerous creation modes leaves one bewildered. There isn't even an instant replay during the match, like there was last year.

I like the numerous attributes per wrestler now. I think we have more a chance to get a "SIM" experience now. I put Santino's stats below 40 and he got whooped each time.

The pace of the game is slow, which is good and bad.
The "aiming" of the attacks is slightly off. Playing with Sheamus against The Miz, I felt I had to get in the Miz's face just to have the "reach" to punch him. I'm standing a foot away and still miss with a punch.

The camera angles are to be desired. If you or your opponent is knocked down by the wall in front of you, good luck seeing the action there. During testing, why didn't they catch this obvious camera blockage?

The crowd is also hit or miss. Not very exciting.

Commentary? For the love that is wrestling, please gives us the ability to turn this off next year if you're going to stay with the game group. But, didn't 2k say they revamped this?

All the marketing on the improvements to the game, I think I've seen maybe 25%. Overall, it's a decent upgrade, but it's not what 2k marketed it to be. With that said, it makes me wonder why we had to wait an additional 3 weeks for the next gen release.
The commentary volume can be muted in the options.

# 104 Sharpshooter1992 @ 11/19/14 04:16 PM
My impressions:

-Little things: you can see the wrestler apply weight on canvas in the ring like in real life. Pay attention to the impression as he stands.

-The end of match lasts longer. On other versions, I always felt that the end of match celebration was caught off too quickly.

-The graphics are incredible and look spot on. Looks like you are watching a telecast.

-Stone Cold actually puts his hands around the ropes as he climbs the middle turnbuckle. Never seen this to this degree.

-Tile Menus are nice. Loading times are quicker than other versions of the game IMO.

-CPU vs CPU matches are entertaining to watch. Watch Undertaker vs. Brock at Summer Slam and the match went back and forth and lasted about 10 minutes. I know it's a video game. Taker won after Brock kicks out of last ride. Then tombstone and pin. Taker stumbled to get up and that is a nice touch of realism.

-Has anybody mentioned that at the end of the match, the wrestlers are showing sweat? Looks realistic.

-Crowd looks good. There are little kids scattered as well as advertised.

Cons:
-Like mentioned, too many things from the creative side were removed. But I'm not disappointed because I rather they leave it out than cause problems. I'm sure they will get things right next year. There is very little they can improve upon graphics wise so they will address the things other versions people liked. Can anybody believe what this game will be like in 2k18. Look at how things looked in 2k11 to compare.

-Warrior doesn't look proportional. I know it's impossible to scan him for obvious reasons, but I had him wrestle CM Punk and he looked three times wider. I'm exaggerating a bit. And his closeups showing his back look a bit fake.

-For years I've mentioned that the two man commentary should be 1) together AND AND AND 2) Both guys should be taped with crowd in the background. Otherwise, we get what we got which is like they are reading in a closed room and it doesn't feel real when you overlay them to the game.

-Arena Creation. I don't see why this would be omitted other than realizing that maybe it will be more memory intense and complex than just overlaying logos, colors, etc. I can wait until next year. Always loved wrestling "dark" matches in community arenas.

# 105 eremiomania @ 11/19/14 04:34 PM
Seriously. What site do I go to upload my face?

Also, I haven't attempted to edit attires. Can you edit Cody enough to turn him into Stardust or do we have to go the CAW route?

# 106 Mercury112491 @ 11/19/14 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by molendie
Seriously. What site do I go to upload my face?

Also, I haven't attempted to edit attires. Can you edit Cody enough to turn him into Stardust or do we have to go the CAW route?

You can edit him and save it as an alternate attire but it takes up a CAW slot.

# 107 Sinner @ 11/19/14 04:58 PM
Are most of you guys getting your skin tone matched pretty well? curious..

# 108 JazzMan @ 11/19/14 05:23 PM
I've noticed that the commentary is much better all-around in 2k Showcase, wonder if that's where all of the commentary work went into.

# 109 Reed1417 @ 11/19/14 05:34 PM
So I played a few matches...about 4 and let me say the gameplay is so good. Just got done an epic match with The Uso's and the Wyatt's Eric and Luke. The match went back and forth all the way and I could really tell when momentum shifted between each team. Plus with the way the game plays it is actually possible to SEE one team dominate and keep the other team away from said partner by cutting off one side of the ring. It's great. I want to get more comfortable with the controls before I start MyCareer though. So I may start sometime next week.

Reed is comin' atcha!!

# 110 PVarck31 @ 11/19/14 05:50 PM
One little thing that I really like is when the match ends they got rid of that awkward pause where the guy just stands there before celebrating and no music plays.

# 111 Cpre5 @ 11/19/14 05:59 PM
It's missing the new belt right?
Also we're stuck with two rosters and a draft rather then the single roster of the wwe today?

# 112 NBA2K Genius @ 11/19/14 06:02 PM
WWE2K15 OR GTA5?

# 113 Cpre5 @ 11/19/14 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2K Genius
WWE2K15 OR GTA5?
GTA, the more I play the more I regret wwe

# 114 NBA2K Genius @ 11/19/14 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpre5
Thanks bro, GTA it is then I've been tryna decide between the two all day lol

# 115 TheShizNo1 @ 11/19/14 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBA2K Genius
WWE2K15 OR GTA5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpre5
Man, you gotta make that decision on your own. I read the impression threads for both games on here and watched both on twitch. I got both and love both. If you like wrestling and aren't obsessed with the fluff, you'll love WWE. GTA is GTA. But asking others which to buy may not be the best idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

# 116 DieHardYankee26 @ 11/19/14 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Man, you gotta make that decision on your own. I read the impression threads for both games on here and watched both on twitch. I got both and love both. If you like wrestling and aren't obsessed with the fluff, you'll love WWE. GTA is GTA. But asking others which to buy may not be the best idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Agree with this. Especially with stuff like GTA and WWE 2K15. If you can't decide between 2 games as different as those, you'd be just as well off flipping a coin as asking other people.

# 117 NBA2K Genius @ 11/19/14 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
Agree with this. Especially with stuff like GTA and WWE 2K15. If you can't decide between 2 games as different as those, you'd be just as well off flipping a coin as asking other people.
I feel that I'm probably gonna get both anyway just wanted to see which one I should get now. I do love wresting games n like @TheShizNo1 said GTA is GTA it's kind of a tough choice for me specially to see both on next gen. I usually buy one game a year and that's NBA2K, I'm trying to venture out for a change but can't make up my mind lol just needed a little guidance that's all....

# 118 Aggies7 @ 11/19/14 07:00 PM
Back on topic folks. Let's no derail this with a comparison thread please.

# 119 NBA2K Genius @ 11/19/14 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
Back on topic folks. Let's no derail this with a comparison thread please.
Lol my bad guy....

# 120 Stormyhog @ 11/19/14 07:46 PM
Really enjoying the game have to get used to conserving stamina but it does make the pacing much more realistic. Just been doing exhibiton matches to get the hang of the controls. Besides the notable omissions the game is fun & that's the main thing for me.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.