Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K15 Day One Impressions

With WWE 2K15 having kind of a strange release schedule, a lot of users have been waiting to see whether the new consoles make this year's entry worthy of the upgrade. After spending some time with the Xbox One version, it's safe to say that 2K's influence on this year's product is obvious. From some of the subtle animations changes and presentational flair, everything has received a boost in some way.

Then again, from what I've seen, there are clearly areas where corners have been cut to ship a product on time, such as missing modes, a smaller roster and a diminished creation suite. We're not talking NHL 15 levels of feature and mode omission here, but there are some items missing, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Some users are quite upset at only 25 create-a-wrestler spots, for instance, compared to 100 on previous generation hardware.

Here are some of my quick impressions:

• In terms of presentation, the game has a lot of positives. Improved facial detail, better hair tech, additional lighting and denser crowds are some of the elements I noticed immediately, and some of the entrances are downright uncanny in their accuracy.

• In-match presentation seems like a half-step up from last year. There are some different camera cuts and altered replay packages, and some new fatigue and desperation animations do add a lot of emotion. It was neat seeing my created character dive from his knees to break up a pin in a triple threat match or fall down to one knee after hitting a finisher. Still, a lot of legacy animations and sliding are noticeable.

• The biggest gameplay addition is chain wrestling, and I like it quite a lot. It's a rock-paper-scissors concept. The idea is that both characters start a match fresh and shouldn't just be able to execute grapple moves. By selecting either wristlock, waistlock or side headlock, you'll go into a little sequence of cat and mouse, trying to outthink your opponent. The interface is a bit busy, but I love the conceit of the feature.

• Stuff like weapons, catapult finishers, OMG moments and finishers remain the same, but the stamina of each character is represented as well as their overall health. If you do moves in quick succession, you'll greatly diminish your stamina. This becomes a consideration later in matches, as you might not be able to follow up on a big move.

• Gameplay, on the whole, feels familiar but with some added emphasis on stamina and pacing. The emotion found in some animations and "selling" adds to certain matches, but a lot of contests will play out as squashes, one way or the other. Strike and running spam has been reduced, thanks to slower animations, but some of these repetitive elements are still present.

• The MyCareer mode is generally entertaining, if a little bit plain. The ability to go up through NXT and onto the bigger shows (Superstars, Smackdown, etc) is a solid base, and you get some level of agency about your fate. Sometimes you get several match choices, and certain matches will gain you followers on social media, while others gain you VC and more skills points to improve your character. It's a question of climbing the ladder faster or safer.

• Some moments did seem pre-destined, though, as a booker would say I had a terrible match when it was rated four stars right after. Kind of odd. It seems like they want you to progress at certain points and just kind of make an excuse to do so. Still, since you can't really lose, it's fun to see what happens when you do.

• Funnily enough, you almost have to lose a bunch in the career mode, as "doing the job" seems like part of the design. You're just not strong enough to handle most of the big boys early on, and I found myself trying to get DQ'd to hold onto the NXT title. That didn't work for long!

• The social media and out-of-ring stuff is pretty limited for a lot of the mode, but it is there in some respects. Again, this seems like something that will be much bigger in future years, but what's there is kind of cool.

• The creation features for entrances and such are pretty speedy, and you see an animated gif of pyros and editable moments, which saves egregious loading times in these areas. Loading times overall are pretty good.

• Universe mode looks mostly the same, with the ability to discover "clues" by playing and simming storylines. These clues will provide the seeds for more interesting feuds and stories in the future. You can set short, medium and long rivalries, as before. There are 861 clues to collect.

• The 2K Showcase mode looks to have the same quality bar from the Attitude and WrestleMania versions, but now with one-on-one feuds. I played some of CM Punk vs. John Cena, and there were lots of video montages and cinematic moments, including historical objectives. I'm not sure if these rivalries really match up to the previous ideas in this mode, but they are more of that type of experience, if that's what you're after.

• The John Cena–curated soundtrack is only 12 tracks, and well…. Yeah, some of those songs are just awful. To be fair, some are decent.

Outlook

I'm interested to get further into MyCareer and play some more of the 2K Showcase mode. I haven't had much of a chance to get online yet, so that's also a point of interest. A day-one patch adds six-player support for online, by the way. What's here seems like a reasonably featured wrestling product with solid gameplay and a new shine, and it's been fun to improve my created character.

The full review of WWE 2K15 (Xbox One and PS4) will be up on OS this week.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Bard @ 11/19/14 12:06 AM
Coming to terms that i'll never beat Neville, dude is insane and counters everything I do. Also just had a 5 star match with Zayn which was actually very good, we both hit our finishers on each other twice and the match ended with me forcing him to submit with the sharpshooter.

# 82 Reed1417 @ 11/19/14 12:48 AM
So good news the install didn't take as long as I thought. Bad news is I may not be able to play till later on in the week. Until then I'm glad you guys are having fun with the game and I'm looking forward to playing it!! Keep em coming guys!!

Reed is comin' atcha!!

# 83 Runne130 @ 11/19/14 01:01 AM
my universe may have just formed a dominant tag team, 02 kane and kevin nash. I figured id play against them with miz and sandow and it wasnt even close i got crushed

# 84 Bard @ 11/19/14 01:05 AM
Have my Universe all set up how I want it, waiting for DLC to introduce my secret ingredient to it. Will start posting either tomorrow or Thursday just depends if I am in the writing mood.

MyCareer is a blast, just got promoted to Superstars and am still the NXT champion. Bought Paul Heyman as my manager so been getting DQ'd in some matches to get easy heel turn, mainly did it out of frustration because I wasn't getting the pin system but I got the hang of it almost right after...go figure.

# 85 Kaliz0r @ 11/19/14 06:13 AM
So far I've only played 2k Showcase and I'm loving the improvements to the gameplay. Yes, the chain wrestling and stamina system are great, but it's the little things that really do it for me. Like how if your opponent is on the ground and you grapple him to close to the ropes your wrestler will automatically drag him away before doing a move, and how during some Irish whips and other moves it makes it look like the wrestlers are calling out spots to one another. A bunch of little things like that make the gameplay seem really polished.

# 86 AsianChexMix @ 11/19/14 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
Have my Universe all set up how I want it, waiting for DLC to introduce my secret ingredient to it. Will start posting either tomorrow or Thursday just depends if I am in the writing mood.

MyCareer is a blast, just got promoted to Superstars and am still the NXT champion. Bought Paul Heyman as my manager so been getting DQ'd in some matches to get easy heel turn, mainly did it out of frustration because I wasn't getting the pin system but I got the hang of it almost right after...go figure.
I wonder if we'll get the DLC characters into MyCareer mode yet. Keep us posted. My impressions from skipping last year's version is that it's completely different and I like it. The game is slower but in a good way in my opinion. It's like a nice slow burn and although the crux of my time yesterday (3+ hours) was creating myself so I can role play if I started a career in the WWE, I did get to play a few games through MyCareer and I enjoyed it. You see a natural progression and there's a build up until the final pin. I'll need to play more but just my first impressions.

PS. Somebody is a Paul Heyman guy!

# 87 eremiomania @ 11/19/14 10:14 AM
My random impressions:

- Graphics are amazing. Definitely a game that looks "next gen". Can't get over how good it looks.

- Looking forward to scanning my face, but it sucks you have to do it on a PC and it sounds like people are having issues.

- Sting looks amazing. Glad I pre-ordered, but really missing Hogan now. Do I have to wait until after all the DLC is released for him to show up in the store or is another version of Hogan included in the Warrior DLC pack?

- I won a match as Bray and it played Luke Harper's music afterwards lol

- Was a huge pain in the *** getting the season pass and accelerator going because of their in game store issues.

- I like the game play, my only complaints would be the grapple mini game might get old quick once the novelty wears off, but I do like it so far. I like the pacing as well, but I don't like that actions almost seem delayed.

- Really like new animations like guys using the ropes to get up after taking a lot of damage. Stuff like that makes it look so much more realistic.

- The commentary is still hot garbage.

- I know the exclusion of a lot of stuff is what people are really harping on, but it was mostly stuff I didn't use anyways so I don't care as much. I don't think I normally use more than 25 CAW spaces anyways so, that restriction doesn't bother me either.

- I won't complain to much about the roster, especially once the DLC hits. Smaller roster, but basically every current star and legend I would really want except most notably Scott Hall.

- Really gonna miss NWO from 2K14. That was so badass having NWO finally.

# 88 jaredsmith83 @ 11/19/14 10:20 AM
My initial impression to the game was "wow, these graphics are amazing!" You could tell that some wrestlers weren't scanned, but honestly, to me, it doesn't make THAT huge of a deal and I'm not getting up in arms over that. Everyone has their own movement and style. At times, there's a bit too much floating in their walking/feet planting movements, but there again, nothing to complain about.

Once I started playing, I was getting frustrated. Blocking windows were varied, I was getting reversed a lot more, things like that. I was still playing it a bit with the 2K14 mindset. Once you adapt to the new game, it turns into something COMPLETELY different. Matches were very exciting, even when I was zapping myself of stamina. Which, by the way, learn how to control your stamina. Sure, you might be standing around a bit, but let that stuff rebuild when you can. Especially if you have a high flyer. There were a lot of times where it was back and forth, like a real match, with the entertaining bumps and spots. I even broke out some rest holds hahahaha. I feel 2K did a great job in recreating the pace, about as well as you can do in a videogame.

Overall, I'm about 4 hours into the game. I've played a little bit of the Showcase, but mostly have focused on My Career. Its not quite what I was expecting it to be, but then again, I'm still starting out and am in NXT, so I have hope it will continue to grow and build as I progress. There are some times where its just frustrating because your guy has such low attributes. But it is also true to life in that sense. If I were to rate the game on a scale of 10, I'm happy with putting it at a 7.5. Room to grow, but definitely not as disappointing as everyone is making it out to be.

# 89 joet6683 @ 11/19/14 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake612
Yes, I think this is the same issue at least.

https://twitter.com/stephensonmc/sta...22712695603200

Has anyone been able to do the CM Punk elbow drop in the first showcase. I know about R1 to switch between sig. and finisher and it never gives me the option to do a signature or finisher when I'm on the top rope.
I had the same issue. Same with others and ground sig/finishers...it seems too touchy, you need to be in the EXACT spot for the button prompt to show. Not as simple as "opponent on ground near head". Last game I played was 2011, but i don't recall having issues that year.

# 90 timbuck2007 @ 11/19/14 10:47 AM
Quick Question. I downloaded the game from the play station store. When i tried to play all I could do is one on one matches with 6 different superstars. Is there a way that I can play everything. I wanted to do the my career mode. Any help would be appreciated.

# 91 Pezell04x @ 11/19/14 10:53 AM
SO I spent a couple of hours with it last night making my wrestler, doing the first few matches of MyCareer and some exhibition. I got the PS4 digital deluxe edition and my download was completed on Sunday. I am not sure if that matters for Sting/Hogan or whatever. Sting and Hogan downloaded properly for me and I used Sting in a match.

Creation Suite:

Face scanning: I would say my level of photoshopping is intermediate. I do it a lot for my hockey blog. My first face scan looked horrible. I did it in my kitchen which uses those energy saving blubs which made me look like I came out of the Simpsons. The second attempt was a hell of a lot better. I took my photo in the morning by the window. I did run into a could of problems however. My eyes/nose/mouth would not align together. I basically matched the eyes and the mouth together but my nostrils were above where they should be. Not that big of a deal.

Also I have a pretty large beard so I had to make the face cut at the hairline due to the limited facial hair options.

Last thing with the face scanning is I noticed my CAW's face (added in as body art) would shift slightly to the left for some reason. I would add a layer, delete something and the image would shift to the left. I basically had to build my CAW and then add the face scan on last which seems a little *** backwards.

Skin tone: My tip is to add your face and then do the skin tone after. It should help blend the CAW tone and your facial tone together.

Customization Options: I am a little disappointed with some missing options. There's no option (for what I saw) to turn your hat backwards. There's no real bandana, just do-rags (Hogan style). With that said, being able to import custom logos is legit. For ****s and giggles I imported our hockey blog bear and my tattoos and played around with them. They look fantastic.

There are some new shirts that I noticed but not much in terms of pants. There's also a lot more boots than I remember.

MyCareer: So I am only about 3 weeks into my career. I already hate Bill Mcdermott because he says the same four/five lines over and over at the most random times. I'm debating turning down commentary sound in MyCareer when he's around.

I did the opening match and a couple training matches.

Gameplay

Probably the best gameplay in the series. I really like the chain grappling mini-game. It slows down the pace of the match but not to the point where it is a slogfest in the beginning. I had a great chain grapple with Stone Cold (me) vs HHH that had a good back and forth to it.

Stamina is key to the flow of the match which I also enjoy. It was cool to see Austin hit a Stunner with barely any stamina left and then lay there, slowly getting to his knees. It really makes the action seem authentic. I also learned that you need stamina left to hit signatures/finishers. I was wondering why my CAW wouldn't hit his signature until I realized that he had no stamina left. Once the purple bar filled up a little over a quarter, I could hit it.

My biggest gripe is reversals and the kick out meter. Reversals are a timing thing so that's more on my end. The kick out meter is something I loathe and there seems no way to turn it off or change to the button mash so it is something I will have to get used to.

Also 2K added a separate audio slider for commentary. I turned it down to 0 and the game was 100x better. Listening to the crowd chant, the mat make noise, even the wrestlers walking on the mat was enjoyable without Cole's "He's putting his educated feet to good use!" and King's inane comments. It is a tactic I use in The Show as well so if you're sick of the commentary, I would go that route.

Overall I am really glad I purchased this game. The accelerator hasn't worked for me yet, but I plan on taking my time with Universe as it is and to play through MyCareer and start Showcase.
I really enjoyed the four/five matches I played yesterday.

# 92 Pezell04x @ 11/19/14 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck2007
Quick Question. I downloaded the game from the play station store. When i tried to play all I could do is one on one matches with 6 different superstars. Is there a way that I can play everything. I wanted to do the my career mode. Any help would be appreciated.
your game is not fully downloaded yet.

highlight your game on your feed
press option on your DS4
go to information
it should tell you how much has downloaded and how much is left.

# 93 SmashMan @ 11/19/14 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Button presses seem really delayed. Anyone think that?
Yeah, they can be. Not sure if it's a bug or a design decision on the input window that we're not used to yet.

# 94 JAMRenaissance @ 11/19/14 11:16 AM
Picked it up ASAP Monday night, and played much of the day Tuesday. The VAST majority of the time was spent in MyCareer mode, with me barely looking at Universe. As such, almost all of my impressions are general gameplay and MyCareer.

The gameplay is BY FAR the best in the series; the chain wrestle opening and stamina system really go a long way towards feeling like you are in a match. As well, particularly for high flyers, you are given solid in-game reason to not stay on the attack 100% of the time. There is a solid reason to taunt - it increases your momentum which giving your guy a chance to regain stamina. The best moment of immersion in this light came in a match where I was initially losing badly and trying to make up ground. I managed to get on a roll, pulling out a number of grapples to get things back in my direction. I then went for a missle dropkick... and climbed... so slowly... up to the top. Yup - hadn't kept track of my stamina, and now I was too tired for a big spot. One toss from the top rope later and I'd learned my pacing lesson. We've needed this sort of immersion in the game for a while.

Some people may have some issues adjusting to the new system, particularly to the unforgiving kick out system. However, once you've adjusted, things work well.

MyCareer is not as dynamic as I would have hoped for. I played it around seven hours in a row, so clearly I enjoy it. It's a solid first go round, but it has not yet met its full potential. Simply put, as compared to NBA 2K15's MyCareer mode, you simply don't feel the stakes of your progress as strongly. In NBA 2K15, you have to battle just to make a team on a ten day contract, then convince them to give you a second, and then convince them to keep you permanently. It /IS/ possible to have a "game over" early because you failed to get picked up by a team. In WWE 2K15, I never felt like it was in question if I was going to make the main roster. There was one moment where I had to beat Bo Dallas to become #1 Contender for the NXT Title. I lost... but then Vickie made me #1 contender anyway. Don't get me wrong: I'm fairly certain that the wins or losses matter. I'm batting at about 50% wins/losses and, am only in Superstars after my first year and a half or so in WWE. I've had my first PPV match (against what I assume is a CAW in Barron Blood or something similar), but I don't feel close to making Smackdown/Raw yet. Clearly, something is happening. However, do I feel like it is a large problem to lose? Only in terms of my progression.

As an aside, I LOVE the RPG aspects of the game. I feel like I'm actually make a guy that is becoming experienced and learning more and more about wrestling. It does give some purpose to the "down times" between PPV; I've purchased a few skills, but I really have to "save up" to buy Comeback, and I want to try to get it before my next PPV story. As such, some "grinding" time is needed. As a warning, not every attribute is equal - the Stamina, Momentum, and Durability attributes all seem to have more immediate "bang for your buck" than others.

As a whole, I can see myself getting immersed and addicted to this. With that said, I question whether or not MyCareer would so similarly immerse someone that wasn't into RPGs or as heavily into fantasy wrestling.

# 95 eremiomania @ 11/19/14 11:23 AM
Wait.. where do I go on my PC to upload my face?

# 96 49UNCFan @ 11/19/14 11:24 AM
I love this game so far

# 97 game20ver @ 11/19/14 12:05 PM
My initial impression was this game sucks. The gameplay is too slow and the controls are unresponsive. I put the game down for a few hours but came back to give it another shot and I've been playing non stop ever since. The gameplay is amazing, it's a step in the right direction. My only complaint is I'd like to see more moves next year and of course all the creative options left out from last year.

# 98 pimpinpidgeon8 @ 11/19/14 12:22 PM
I'm having an awful time trying to find out how to buy the season pass for the game. Also, why are the online servers continually down for this game?

# 99 JAMRenaissance @ 11/19/14 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinpidgeon8
I'm having an awful time trying to find out how to buy the season pass for the game. Also, why are the online servers continually down for this game?
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...ystation-store

# 100 pimpinpidgeon8 @ 11/19/14 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMRenaissance
Ok, so I bought the season pass for $25 and purchased the accelerator for free. Now, how do I get it from the online store to my actual PS4? I have never bought anything this way before.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.