Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K15 Day One Impressions

With WWE 2K15 having kind of a strange release schedule, a lot of users have been waiting to see whether the new consoles make this year's entry worthy of the upgrade. After spending some time with the Xbox One version, it's safe to say that 2K's influence on this year's product is obvious. From some of the subtle animations changes and presentational flair, everything has received a boost in some way.

Then again, from what I've seen, there are clearly areas where corners have been cut to ship a product on time, such as missing modes, a smaller roster and a diminished creation suite. We're not talking NHL 15 levels of feature and mode omission here, but there are some items missing, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Some users are quite upset at only 25 create-a-wrestler spots, for instance, compared to 100 on previous generation hardware.

Here are some of my quick impressions:

• In terms of presentation, the game has a lot of positives. Improved facial detail, better hair tech, additional lighting and denser crowds are some of the elements I noticed immediately, and some of the entrances are downright uncanny in their accuracy.

• In-match presentation seems like a half-step up from last year. There are some different camera cuts and altered replay packages, and some new fatigue and desperation animations do add a lot of emotion. It was neat seeing my created character dive from his knees to break up a pin in a triple threat match or fall down to one knee after hitting a finisher. Still, a lot of legacy animations and sliding are noticeable.

• The biggest gameplay addition is chain wrestling, and I like it quite a lot. It's a rock-paper-scissors concept. The idea is that both characters start a match fresh and shouldn't just be able to execute grapple moves. By selecting either wristlock, waistlock or side headlock, you'll go into a little sequence of cat and mouse, trying to outthink your opponent. The interface is a bit busy, but I love the conceit of the feature.

• Stuff like weapons, catapult finishers, OMG moments and finishers remain the same, but the stamina of each character is represented as well as their overall health. If you do moves in quick succession, you'll greatly diminish your stamina. This becomes a consideration later in matches, as you might not be able to follow up on a big move.

• Gameplay, on the whole, feels familiar but with some added emphasis on stamina and pacing. The emotion found in some animations and "selling" adds to certain matches, but a lot of contests will play out as squashes, one way or the other. Strike and running spam has been reduced, thanks to slower animations, but some of these repetitive elements are still present.

• The MyCareer mode is generally entertaining, if a little bit plain. The ability to go up through NXT and onto the bigger shows (Superstars, Smackdown, etc) is a solid base, and you get some level of agency about your fate. Sometimes you get several match choices, and certain matches will gain you followers on social media, while others gain you VC and more skills points to improve your character. It's a question of climbing the ladder faster or safer.

• Some moments did seem pre-destined, though, as a booker would say I had a terrible match when it was rated four stars right after. Kind of odd. It seems like they want you to progress at certain points and just kind of make an excuse to do so. Still, since you can't really lose, it's fun to see what happens when you do.

• Funnily enough, you almost have to lose a bunch in the career mode, as "doing the job" seems like part of the design. You're just not strong enough to handle most of the big boys early on, and I found myself trying to get DQ'd to hold onto the NXT title. That didn't work for long!

• The social media and out-of-ring stuff is pretty limited for a lot of the mode, but it is there in some respects. Again, this seems like something that will be much bigger in future years, but what's there is kind of cool.

• The creation features for entrances and such are pretty speedy, and you see an animated gif of pyros and editable moments, which saves egregious loading times in these areas. Loading times overall are pretty good.

• Universe mode looks mostly the same, with the ability to discover "clues" by playing and simming storylines. These clues will provide the seeds for more interesting feuds and stories in the future. You can set short, medium and long rivalries, as before. There are 861 clues to collect.

• The 2K Showcase mode looks to have the same quality bar from the Attitude and WrestleMania versions, but now with one-on-one feuds. I played some of CM Punk vs. John Cena, and there were lots of video montages and cinematic moments, including historical objectives. I'm not sure if these rivalries really match up to the previous ideas in this mode, but they are more of that type of experience, if that's what you're after.

• The John Cena–curated soundtrack is only 12 tracks, and well…. Yeah, some of those songs are just awful. To be fair, some are decent.

Outlook

I'm interested to get further into MyCareer and play some more of the 2K Showcase mode. I haven't had much of a chance to get online yet, so that's also a point of interest. A day-one patch adds six-player support for online, by the way. What's here seems like a reasonably featured wrestling product with solid gameplay and a new shine, and it's been fun to improve my created character.

The full review of WWE 2K15 (Xbox One and PS4) will be up on OS this week.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 game20ver @ 11/18/14 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake612
Yes, I think this is the same issue at least.

https://twitter.com/stephensonmc/sta...22712695603200

Has anyone been able to do the CM Punk elbow drop in the first showcase. I know about R1 to switch between sig. and finisher and it never gives me the option to do a signature or finisher when I'm on the top rope.
I've done it a few times, your opponent can't be too far away or it won't let you attempt it.

# 62 cake612 @ 11/18/14 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by game20ver
I've done it a few times, your opponent can't be too far away or it won't let you attempt it.
Ahh I see, thanks. I think usually he was close to the middle of the ring.

# 63 Anaxamander @ 11/18/14 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle19
I live in the UK, so won't get the game until Friday. The only question I have is can you still run matches as CPU vs. CPU in Universe mode on PS4? I know the option is still in the last gen versions, but was worried they might remove it from current gen.

Yes you can

# 64 Sinner @ 11/18/14 08:14 PM
I love the gameplay, seems like they are going in the right direction at least for me. Can deal with things that was taking out, want them added when they can get them working properly. Do not like the face scan right now, was a problem getting it working and as I posted in the Face Scan topic I can't get the body to match the face color and it really looks stupid. Guess I may have to do without at least as far as using my face which really sucks cause I really wanted to.

Maybe I'll download a few faces from the community and see how they work.

# 65 DTX3 @ 11/18/14 08:28 PM
So I tried the game through share play with my buddy and found out that you can do 2 player universe mode. Now thats pretty bad *** might have to pick it up now.

# 66 NBA2K Genius @ 11/18/14 08:28 PM
Is this game really worth it?? After reading some of the reviews made me hold off... I usually buy 1 game a year n that's NBA2K...

# 67 Sinner @ 11/18/14 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Agreed on the face scan. A lot of people who uploaded must be using Photoshop because I see a whole bunch with the similar blue background. When I put my face on it didn't even look like me. I ended up downloading the Heath Ledger Joker face for my CAW. Didn't make the Joker, but the face looks cool.
I used Photoshop also and know it pretty well but my complexion and what I was getting in the game were totally off....may try to work with it more on the weekend IE make face wider and maybe change the skin tone a bit but shouldn't have to do that much to get it to work.

I can't imagine someone who isn't as familiar with any editing software actually taking time to use this and get it right. Hopefully in the future they will get the 3d face scan from NBA2k. Really fustrating to work with this one in WWE 2k, at least for me.

Maybe I missed it but in the older wrestling games didn't they show numbers for colors? That would go along way as far as being able to match colors a little better

# 68 rkocjay @ 11/18/14 08:36 PM
im really enjoying the game just the game feels limited as far as customization. the gameplay is good in my opinion could be a little better. I do enjoy my career(surprising) i thought it would be bad so far i enjoy getting my *** kicked by Neville and bo Dallas lol.

Again just my main isssue is how limited it seems but i was warned ahead of time.

8.4/10 i know a bit high for some but i enjoy it

# 69 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 11/18/14 08:47 PM
I didn't have no issues with sting dlc or my season pass dlc or my accelerator not working. I unlock everything and got my Sting. I'm on Xbox one maybe that's why. Are people still having issues ?

# 70 franch1se @ 11/18/14 08:55 PM
Where does the accelerator show up? I haven't bought a WWE game in a while and I bought the season pass, where would I look to unlock everything?

# 71 DanH35 @ 11/18/14 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
I didn't have no issues with sting dlc or my season pass dlc or my accelerator not working. I unlock everything and got my Sting. I'm on Xbox one maybe that's why. Are people still having issues ?
I got the season pass and the accelerator is working for me, but I tried to put my Sting code in and Xbox Live said it didn't recognize the code. From looking on other forums, it seems to be a widespread issue.

# 72 franch1se @ 11/18/14 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Go to the PS Store from the XMB menu and go to New Add-Ons. Then sort Z-A and the Accelerator will show up to download. Go back into the game and go to options, then unlockables, then hit square to unlock everything.
Worked..thanks!

# 73 Bard @ 11/18/14 09:15 PM
Loving the game so far. Have done Ambrose and Rollins' new attires, made Reigns a new attire, created my guy, defeated Reigns with my guy to get a handle on the controls, and now am in week 4 of MyCareer.

# 74 SmooveMove @ 11/18/14 09:23 PM
I'm pretty much in love with the gameplay, so theres that. The imports logo feature is crazy simple and it works perfectly.

I can't wait to get into Universe.

# 75 IowaAJ @ 11/18/14 09:42 PM
Gameplay is awesome really has the feel of a match. Especially when the competitors get tired.

# 76 Bard @ 11/18/14 10:07 PM
Man this pinning system is going to take some getting used to, if I get pinned I lose. Back to back losses in NXT after wins in everything before.

# 77 franch1se @ 11/18/14 10:11 PM
Is chain wrestling only in the beginning of the match or can you access it later too?

So far I've only played play now matches while i learn the controls as I haven't boughten the previous 2 games. I love the chain wrestling, i can see it being fun online.

Graphics are top notch.

Another question, can you download a CAW online and use it as an alternate attire? I downloaded a sweet Mizdow buy I'd rather it be an alternate attire than a separate character.

So far i'm loving this game, so much fun.

I don't like how when you edit a superstar IE - Ambrose and Rollins new attire, it also count's as a CAW slot, even when you select the use as alternate attire option.

# 78 TheBleedingRed21 @ 11/18/14 10:21 PM
I like the pace.. BUT I feel people get their finishers too fast even on slow, and damage is WAY too strong. I think this has to do with running out of stamina so quick and not being able to get up.

Also, I officially HATE the meter. For last man standing, it is even worse. Lost on a freaking back suplex, that I couldn't get up cause the meter. *This match only lasted like 5 minutes as well..

What happeend to matches that were lasting 20 minutes on WWE 2k14...

# 79 ddel63 @ 11/18/14 10:41 PM
Pros
The gameplay and pace are a welcome change. I'm really liking that aspect. I enjoy the chain grappling, It's just the right amount to mix things up. It really gives it a more realistic feel to the beginning of the match. I personally like the fatigue also. I think this will help counter spammers and the animations are awesome. The grapple system works well, it makes the player weaken an opponent before using stronger moves. My favorite thing is that the speed and collisions of most of the animations are the best in recent memory. punches really connect well now and have a nice weight to them. The graphics and presentation are very nice also.

Cons
Obviously the lack of creation suite modes have been well documented, but it is much more substantial than most reviews let on. As a guy who has been a creator since the first smackdown, This is the thinnest I can remember. There is a shameful lack of creation parts that severely limit what you can make. I think maybe like 20 hairstyles and I believe they are all hairstyles used on actual wwe characters in game. The amount of clothing articles has been heavily depleted and no-brainer acessories like the LOD's spiked shoulder pads are no where to be found. As a matter of fact, a large portion of creation equipment is shared assets from the in game characters. I don't mind that if it was mixed with a nice selection of original stuff, but that's not the case. Superstar heads is out. Superstar threads is also out, which blows. Create an entrance is a shadow of it's former self having no generic elements, only re-used stuff from in-game characters. The whole effort on the creation side is a 2K-isized limited, lazy effort. For me 50% of this game is the creation aspect, so for me these are major deal breakers. Especially after having the greatest creation suite in gaming last year. It's unforgivable.

I would compare this years wwe 2k15 for PS4 to last years NBA 2k14 for PS4. Awesome graphics, very good gameplay, but severely lacking in content compared to the last gen versions. I was totally excited when I heard 2K got the WWE license, but I am beginning to worry a little bit. I will give them another chance next year, but they better step their game up. If you are not into the creation part of this series, I would still recommend this game. If creating stuff is an important part of the game for you, then you might want to pass this year.

# 80 rangerrick012 @ 11/18/14 11:02 PM
The graphics are great and definitely a next gen experience. Everything non commentary when it comes to presentation is great as well. 2k showcase is impressive.

I do have a question though. How does the submission meter work? Is it button mashing or just holding X (PS4)?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.