Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K15 Day One Impressions

With WWE 2K15 having kind of a strange release schedule, a lot of users have been waiting to see whether the new consoles make this year's entry worthy of the upgrade. After spending some time with the Xbox One version, it's safe to say that 2K's influence on this year's product is obvious. From some of the subtle animations changes and presentational flair, everything has received a boost in some way.

Then again, from what I've seen, there are clearly areas where corners have been cut to ship a product on time, such as missing modes, a smaller roster and a diminished creation suite. We're not talking NHL 15 levels of feature and mode omission here, but there are some items missing, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Some users are quite upset at only 25 create-a-wrestler spots, for instance, compared to 100 on previous generation hardware.

Here are some of my quick impressions:

• In terms of presentation, the game has a lot of positives. Improved facial detail, better hair tech, additional lighting and denser crowds are some of the elements I noticed immediately, and some of the entrances are downright uncanny in their accuracy.

• In-match presentation seems like a half-step up from last year. There are some different camera cuts and altered replay packages, and some new fatigue and desperation animations do add a lot of emotion. It was neat seeing my created character dive from his knees to break up a pin in a triple threat match or fall down to one knee after hitting a finisher. Still, a lot of legacy animations and sliding are noticeable.

• The biggest gameplay addition is chain wrestling, and I like it quite a lot. It's a rock-paper-scissors concept. The idea is that both characters start a match fresh and shouldn't just be able to execute grapple moves. By selecting either wristlock, waistlock or side headlock, you'll go into a little sequence of cat and mouse, trying to outthink your opponent. The interface is a bit busy, but I love the conceit of the feature.

• Stuff like weapons, catapult finishers, OMG moments and finishers remain the same, but the stamina of each character is represented as well as their overall health. If you do moves in quick succession, you'll greatly diminish your stamina. This becomes a consideration later in matches, as you might not be able to follow up on a big move.

• Gameplay, on the whole, feels familiar but with some added emphasis on stamina and pacing. The emotion found in some animations and "selling" adds to certain matches, but a lot of contests will play out as squashes, one way or the other. Strike and running spam has been reduced, thanks to slower animations, but some of these repetitive elements are still present.

• The MyCareer mode is generally entertaining, if a little bit plain. The ability to go up through NXT and onto the bigger shows (Superstars, Smackdown, etc) is a solid base, and you get some level of agency about your fate. Sometimes you get several match choices, and certain matches will gain you followers on social media, while others gain you VC and more skills points to improve your character. It's a question of climbing the ladder faster or safer.

• Some moments did seem pre-destined, though, as a booker would say I had a terrible match when it was rated four stars right after. Kind of odd. It seems like they want you to progress at certain points and just kind of make an excuse to do so. Still, since you can't really lose, it's fun to see what happens when you do.

• Funnily enough, you almost have to lose a bunch in the career mode, as "doing the job" seems like part of the design. You're just not strong enough to handle most of the big boys early on, and I found myself trying to get DQ'd to hold onto the NXT title. That didn't work for long!

• The social media and out-of-ring stuff is pretty limited for a lot of the mode, but it is there in some respects. Again, this seems like something that will be much bigger in future years, but what's there is kind of cool.

• The creation features for entrances and such are pretty speedy, and you see an animated gif of pyros and editable moments, which saves egregious loading times in these areas. Loading times overall are pretty good.

• Universe mode looks mostly the same, with the ability to discover "clues" by playing and simming storylines. These clues will provide the seeds for more interesting feuds and stories in the future. You can set short, medium and long rivalries, as before. There are 861 clues to collect.

• The 2K Showcase mode looks to have the same quality bar from the Attitude and WrestleMania versions, but now with one-on-one feuds. I played some of CM Punk vs. John Cena, and there were lots of video montages and cinematic moments, including historical objectives. I'm not sure if these rivalries really match up to the previous ideas in this mode, but they are more of that type of experience, if that's what you're after.

• The John Cena–curated soundtrack is only 12 tracks, and well…. Yeah, some of those songs are just awful. To be fair, some are decent.

Outlook

I'm interested to get further into MyCareer and play some more of the 2K Showcase mode. I haven't had much of a chance to get online yet, so that's also a point of interest. A day-one patch adds six-player support for online, by the way. What's here seems like a reasonably featured wrestling product with solid gameplay and a new shine, and it's been fun to improve my created character.

The full review of WWE 2K15 (Xbox One and PS4) will be up on OS this week.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 scottyp180 @ 11/18/14 12:08 PM
Played for about two hours last night. I started with an elimination chamber and was the 5th person in which resulted in a lot of watching and waiting. TBH I was underwhelmed at first. The graphics did not jump out like I thought they would, gameplay and animations looked similar, and once I got in the ring I thought the gameplay was about the same.

To be fair I was playing the game as I would for past games and it has been awhile since a played 2k14 or any other wrestling game (except for the two matches I played on the ps3 version of 2k15 last week). I have also been primarily playing ps4 games for about a year now so I have grown accustom to the better graphics. Because of this it made it difficult to compare the game to other versions of the game.

The more I played the more I enjoyed. Let's be clear here, we are not dealing with a completely new game and experience. If you are expecting this game to be unlike any wrestling game you have played in the past or to be a complete revamp for the series you might be disappointed. From what I have played this feels like a cleaner, smoother, and more fluid version of the game we have been playing for years. Moves and reversals transition more seemlessly with less hitches and more believable impact. Wrestlers move a bit slower in a realistic manner yet at the same time the gameplay has a much better flow. The pace of the gameplay is as good as ever.

# 22 darionman @ 11/18/14 12:12 PM
Im really liking the game, and satisfied with my pur chase since this is my first wrestling game since SvR 2008. I have one question though, how do you change the name of your superstar for mycareer? My name is just the default superstar name and I have already made it to NXT. Is there anyway to change this? Will I be given a name over time?

# 23 worstsportsgamer1977 @ 11/18/14 12:16 PM
just started career mode. my character is low and clucky. still a reverse fest, kick you while your down cheese fest. i prayed my opponent would pin me fast. im hoping bill demot does not invite me back for week 2. lol. right now i am not impressed. going to play some quick games to see if that helps me get into the game more.

# 24 darionman @ 11/18/14 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstsportsgamer1977
just started career mode. my character is low and clucky. still a reverse fest, kick you while your down cheese fest. i prayed my opponent would pin me fast. im hoping bill demot does not invite me back for week 2. lol. right now i am not impressed. going to play some quick games to see if that helps me get into the game more.
Were you able to give your superstar it's own name? I do not know how to change the name of my superstar and I have looked everywhere

# 25 cake612 @ 11/18/14 12:24 PM
I only decided to buy the game about an hour before it released on PSN and the download speed was pretty slow, so I've only played a couple of the demo matches and about 5 of the CM Punk/Cena 2k showcase matches. So far I love it, really thought about calling in sick today cause I just wanted to keep playing. It's not all the way there but they've definitely figured a lot of it out when it comes to match flow and pacing and making it feel like a match you'd watch on TV.

I'm just playing on the default settings and I've found the difficulty pretty good so far. It's still early and I didn't play last years so I'm a little rusty and the gameplay is way different but I'm having a lot of fun even when I lose. Was victimized by an out of nowhere RKO and lost a match but couldn't even be that mad since it felt kind of real. As in yes if I was watching that match on Raw the way the match was going I could see Orton just hitting a random RKO and winning.

2K showcase has been fun so far although I get a little frustrated with the context of some of the moves. Coudn't figure out how to do a CM Punk signature elbow drop and also couldn't do a suicide dive to get all the unlockables. Wouldn't be a huge deal but the instruction manual online is complete garbage so I have no idea why I can't suicide dive outside the ring no matter what combo of strike, grapple and run I try. Despite this I've been at work 23 minutes and it will be a very long wait till the end of the day. Can't wait to start up the Universe and start messing with that.

# 26 Tru7Prodigy @ 11/18/14 12:38 PM
If anyone's interested I will be livestreaming here today.

http://www.twitch.tv/UTGamers1

# 27 IIITRE @ 11/18/14 12:41 PM
I only got 2 matches in this morning. excellent gameplay...

I was Ziggler VS Ryback CPU this match went back and forth with Ryback winning by reversing the zig zag to his crappy *** finisher (love the guy.. hate the finisher. can WWE just go with the goldberg chants and give him the Jackhammer? rant over).

Second match was me surfer Sting VS Axel cpu this was a beat down for the Stinger.

It was great how differently each match felt. I picked Axel to see if match would be as close as my first match.

Also the chain grappling in beginning of the matches definitely has attributes tied in, when I tried this against Ryback he just muscled me through it. when he gained control I had no time at all to reverse it. This was completly opposite when fighting Axel. he got the advantage once and I had noticeably more time to counter it. I just want to say this was not something I was looking for but is a great attention to detail, they could have easily just left to button quickness only.

# 28 scottyp180 @ 11/18/14 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
I have to be that guy but the foot planting is very bad. I get that this isn't supposed to be an all out simulation but at times players are sliding & warping all over the ring like they're on ice skates. 2K needs to adapt some type of true step technology for all their sports games because foot planting continues to be a sore spot for them.
For wrestling games a feel there should be some leeway in the sliding department. There are certain instances and situations where performing a particular move could cause for weird or awkward moments without sliding. For example if my back is to the ropes and I am attempting a suplex typically there is some sliding so that the move is executed as planned. Without the sliding the result could be my opponent clipping throught the ropes, my opponent contacting the ropes and bouncing off the rope or getting hung up (which is rarely if ever seen in real life), or my opponent getting suplexed out of the ring (which would be cool but alsp troublesome if that is mot the desired action, and again this rarely occurs in real life).

Hopefully next year there is a bit more focus on the animation system to improve the overall look and feel of thegame, which was improved this year already, so that some of the awkward and where moments are eliminated and replaced withmore believable and realistic moments.

# 29 beastieboi334 @ 11/18/14 01:00 PM
2k pretty much killed any chance at online play on this game smh. they never seem to amaze me

# 30 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/18/14 01:17 PM
Anyone with X1 able to play online MP? Smooth, lag, how was the button responsiveness?

# 31 snc237 @ 11/18/14 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastieboi334
2k pretty much killed any chance at online play on this game smh. they never seem to amaze me
Well perfect fit then because WWE games have always had awful online if you ask me. So much lag makes the game so unfun.

# 32 dafilthymofo @ 11/18/14 01:23 PM
They got rid of the online handicap matches where you could have 3 on 1 and get cheap wins for your record. You could go 100-0 winning 3 on 1 matches.

# 33 ERsports @ 11/18/14 01:33 PM
How are you guys unlocking sting or Hogan......On Xbox one it says they release on 12-16-2014........I bought the digital deluxe preorder edition and I have them in my manage file but it will not let me download them

# 34 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/18/14 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastieboi334
How so?

10 char

# 35 cake612 @ 11/18/14 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERsports
How are you guys unlocking sting or Hogan......On Xbox one it says they release on 12-16-2014........I bought the digital deluxe preorder edition and I have them in my manage file but it will not let me download them
I had this with PS4 last night as well, seems like it's an issue they know about according to the community guy on the forums...

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?...an-Accelerator

# 36 Brian_OS @ 11/18/14 01:57 PM
IS there blood?

# 37 DirtyJerz32 @ 11/18/14 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OS
IS there blood?
I watch a WM match between Punk and Stone Cold on YT and there is blood.

# 38 TJdaSportsGuy @ 11/18/14 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OS
IS there blood?
Yes, there is most definitely blood. It's turned off by default though so you'll have to go in and change it.

# 39 cake612 @ 11/18/14 02:03 PM
There is blood it's just off by default in the settings.

# 40 eagle19 @ 11/18/14 02:25 PM
I live in the UK, so won't get the game until Friday. The only question I have is can you still run matches as CPU vs. CPU in Universe mode on PS4? I know the option is still in the last gen versions, but was worried they might remove it from current gen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.