Home
Feature Article
WWE 2K15 Day One Impressions

With WWE 2K15 having kind of a strange release schedule, a lot of users have been waiting to see whether the new consoles make this year's entry worthy of the upgrade. After spending some time with the Xbox One version, it's safe to say that 2K's influence on this year's product is obvious. From some of the subtle animations changes and presentational flair, everything has received a boost in some way.

Then again, from what I've seen, there are clearly areas where corners have been cut to ship a product on time, such as missing modes, a smaller roster and a diminished creation suite. We're not talking NHL 15 levels of feature and mode omission here, but there are some items missing, so make sure you go in with your eyes open. Some users are quite upset at only 25 create-a-wrestler spots, for instance, compared to 100 on previous generation hardware.

Here are some of my quick impressions:

• In terms of presentation, the game has a lot of positives. Improved facial detail, better hair tech, additional lighting and denser crowds are some of the elements I noticed immediately, and some of the entrances are downright uncanny in their accuracy.

• In-match presentation seems like a half-step up from last year. There are some different camera cuts and altered replay packages, and some new fatigue and desperation animations do add a lot of emotion. It was neat seeing my created character dive from his knees to break up a pin in a triple threat match or fall down to one knee after hitting a finisher. Still, a lot of legacy animations and sliding are noticeable.

• The biggest gameplay addition is chain wrestling, and I like it quite a lot. It's a rock-paper-scissors concept. The idea is that both characters start a match fresh and shouldn't just be able to execute grapple moves. By selecting either wristlock, waistlock or side headlock, you'll go into a little sequence of cat and mouse, trying to outthink your opponent. The interface is a bit busy, but I love the conceit of the feature.

• Stuff like weapons, catapult finishers, OMG moments and finishers remain the same, but the stamina of each character is represented as well as their overall health. If you do moves in quick succession, you'll greatly diminish your stamina. This becomes a consideration later in matches, as you might not be able to follow up on a big move.

• Gameplay, on the whole, feels familiar but with some added emphasis on stamina and pacing. The emotion found in some animations and "selling" adds to certain matches, but a lot of contests will play out as squashes, one way or the other. Strike and running spam has been reduced, thanks to slower animations, but some of these repetitive elements are still present.

• The MyCareer mode is generally entertaining, if a little bit plain. The ability to go up through NXT and onto the bigger shows (Superstars, Smackdown, etc) is a solid base, and you get some level of agency about your fate. Sometimes you get several match choices, and certain matches will gain you followers on social media, while others gain you VC and more skills points to improve your character. It's a question of climbing the ladder faster or safer.

• Some moments did seem pre-destined, though, as a booker would say I had a terrible match when it was rated four stars right after. Kind of odd. It seems like they want you to progress at certain points and just kind of make an excuse to do so. Still, since you can't really lose, it's fun to see what happens when you do.

• Funnily enough, you almost have to lose a bunch in the career mode, as "doing the job" seems like part of the design. You're just not strong enough to handle most of the big boys early on, and I found myself trying to get DQ'd to hold onto the NXT title. That didn't work for long!

• The social media and out-of-ring stuff is pretty limited for a lot of the mode, but it is there in some respects. Again, this seems like something that will be much bigger in future years, but what's there is kind of cool.

• The creation features for entrances and such are pretty speedy, and you see an animated gif of pyros and editable moments, which saves egregious loading times in these areas. Loading times overall are pretty good.

• Universe mode looks mostly the same, with the ability to discover "clues" by playing and simming storylines. These clues will provide the seeds for more interesting feuds and stories in the future. You can set short, medium and long rivalries, as before. There are 861 clues to collect.

• The 2K Showcase mode looks to have the same quality bar from the Attitude and WrestleMania versions, but now with one-on-one feuds. I played some of CM Punk vs. John Cena, and there were lots of video montages and cinematic moments, including historical objectives. I'm not sure if these rivalries really match up to the previous ideas in this mode, but they are more of that type of experience, if that's what you're after.

• The John Cena–curated soundtrack is only 12 tracks, and well…. Yeah, some of those songs are just awful. To be fair, some are decent.

Outlook

I'm interested to get further into MyCareer and play some more of the 2K Showcase mode. I haven't had much of a chance to get online yet, so that's also a point of interest. A day-one patch adds six-player support for online, by the way. What's here seems like a reasonably featured wrestling product with solid gameplay and a new shine, and it's been fun to improve my created character.

The full review of WWE 2K15 (Xbox One and PS4) will be up on OS this week.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Sinner @ 11/20/14 05:44 PM
This just started last night but it seems my game won't load past the John Cena screen...there is nothing to press and music is playing...any ideas?

# 142 Lisac @ 11/20/14 06:52 PM
One word- BAD! I really don't understand it, they had a full extra year kinda like NHL 15 and it's still this bad? Yes the game looks great and controls are good for the most part but what happened to all the match types? Or all the wrestlers? And than they are going to charge us for DLC? Kinda like 2k hoops last year and Live and NHL this year a 65 dollar price is way to much. Very disappointed and the game has already been returned!

# 143 rangerrick012 @ 11/20/14 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisac
One word- BAD! I really don't understand it, they had a full extra year kinda like NHL 15 and it's still this bad? Yes the game looks great and controls are good for the most part but what happened to all the match types? Or all the wrestlers? And than they are going to charge us for DLC? Kinda like 2k hoops last year and Live and NHL this year a 65 dollar price is way to much. Very disappointed and the game has already been returned!
Don't all game companies charge for DLC? Your complaints ring hollow imo, but it's your money dude.

# 144 eremiomania @ 11/20/14 08:04 PM
Yea I had to overwrite my saved data too. What a joke!

Now I'm on their site trying to upload my fat face, but I keep getting an error "502 Bad Gateway".

# 145 Retropyro @ 11/20/14 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthday_massacre
I agree they need to go with the firepro or N64 reversal systems.

Also they really need to let you pick a difficulty in career mode as well as getting matches to last longer than just 5 minutes.
Seriously, at this point there is no valid reason why you can not select a difficulty mode.

The controls just seem off. The game is one giant QTE-fest.

# 146 Lisac @ 11/20/14 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Don't all game companies charge for DLC? Your complaints ring hollow imo, but it's your money dude.
They do for a full game- this by far ain't a full $65 game!

# 147 Novicain13 @ 11/20/14 09:59 PM
I really wish I can make career mode harder. If I knew it would get this easy I would have not upgrade my guy as much.

# 148 Tha_Kid @ 11/20/14 10:06 PM
The last couple years I found reversals very easy on default difficulty, but this year I can't get the timing for ground grapple reversals at all. I like the overall effect of stamina but I don't like how many reversals automatically perform an attack. I knew going in that was something they changed but I think slowing the game down and adding stamina was enough to stop the reversal fest, but now you get one move reversed with low stamina and its nanight

# 149 Mercury112491 @ 11/21/14 01:21 AM
Quote:

Yes it is.

# 150 ChrisHansen59 @ 11/21/14 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
Why the hell am I getting this message when I turn on the game?

Since the downloadable content that you downloaded previously can't be found, the save data can't be loaded correctly. Please re-download the downloadable content.

If you start the game without re-downloading the downloadable content, your WWE 2K15 save data will be overwritten with the new save data.

What the hell? I'm not losing my progress!
I am also getting this message. I'm not deleting my save data so 2K better sort this out.

# 151 scorpio1018 @ 11/21/14 03:43 AM
my first impressions from 3 offline and 3 online matches:

slower gameplay feels relaxed and fun, the stamina system keeps the pace under control - time will tell if it is to slow and the stamina gauge too high.

graphics are at best "OK", atmosphere is too - the crowd-reaction still needs tweaking - the reactions were fairly accurate til the final moments of the match, where a finisher reversal wasnt cheered at all

playing online then was a huge disappointment as all three matches were laggy and above all a counter-festival. the slower gameplay this year however cushions the blow

i dont get it, how 2k f*cks up all again and again?! (refering to nba2k14/15 here - also slight control delay through all online modes). in a game, where timing is crucial, this is a killer for me.

# 152 woody2goody @ 11/21/14 04:27 AM
Quote:
That's nonsense. There is plenty to do. That's why they have given us MyCareer and universe - two modes that are by nature long or infinite.

We can change attires for everyone, the roster is good, the game looks nice, I don't see how this isn't a full game. I suppose that statement is the cool one to make these days...

# 153 The 24th Letter @ 11/21/14 07:27 AM
I wasn't that impressed with the graphics looking at videos...but once I played I have to say that the game looks really good. I actually like the pace of the matches, everything flows really well. I love the way damage\fatigue is done.

I heard everyone complaining about commentary and pretty much brushed it off...but it really is an ugly spot, It's something I never comment on, but it sticks our like a sore thumb. If they have to get generic, or 'B' announcers to commentate because they can't get Cole\Jerry in the studio long enough, then man, I'd be ok with it.

# 154 Gronk4M13 @ 11/21/14 07:28 AM
I'm unsure how I feel about tag team matches in this game. Part of me says, it's awesome, the matches are so competitive. Part of me wishes the illegal partners would interact more so the pins weren't always broken up.

# 155 enyc718 @ 11/21/14 08:48 AM
Here go my two cents. My first and really only impression of the game is that I miss last years rosters. BUT, I'm excited to use this years roster. I have not played one single match. I'm halfway through setting up my universe. I'm pretty excited to finally play atleast one match and see what the hype is all about.

# 156 eremiomania @ 11/21/14 09:04 AM
Apparently my face logo was too big to upload. I kept shrinking it and eventually I got it to upload.

I'm not happy with this face thing. I was really excited about this feature, but it is not working for me. Basically, you have to make your CAWs face look as much like yourself as you can and then throw your face logo on over the CAW face to make it look a little more like you. Still looks nothing like me lol.

# 157 woody2goody @ 11/21/14 10:26 AM
The UK digital deluxe edition didn't surface until nearly 00:30 this morning, and I haven't had time to check but it seems like I won't get Sting now which is a shame.

These are very raw first impressions based on my 6 or 7 demo matches and one match after the game fully installed before work this morning.

I like:

The smoothness of gameplay

the way the wrestler drags the other one to the middle of the ring before attempting a move

Loading times

The music is decent from what I've heard so far

Quite enjoying the chain wrestling

I too like how they've fixed that strange post-match delay where you just wait for a couple of seconds

I don't like (as much):

The input lag

The seemingly reduced (just in terms of moves available) move sets.

I'm leaving work a couple of hours early so I can dig into the attire creation

# 158 HartmanTeets6 @ 11/21/14 12:23 PM
Can someone tell me if there's a 2k network (like draft classes and rosters in NBA, etc.) where you can download already created guys onto your XB1? I was hoping I could create 1 guy and then have 24 past WWE wrestlers that someone would've already made. I'm just not great at that kind of thing. I am getting this game because I used to love the games, but don't watch anymore. So I want more "old-timers" in there w/o making them myself. Sorry if this is both already answered or the wrong spot. I tried to do due diligence to make sure it wasn't answered and I didn't see it anywhere. Thank you!

thanks!!

# 159 Anaxamander @ 11/21/14 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartmanTeets6
Can someone tell me if there's a 2k network (like draft classes and rosters in NBA, etc.) where you can download already created guys onto your XB1? I was hoping I could create 1 guy and then have 24 past WWE wrestlers that someone would've already made. I'm just not great at that kind of thing. I am getting this game because I used to love the games, but don't watch anymore. So I want more "old-timers" in there w/o making them myself. Sorry if this is both already answered or the wrong spot. I tried to do due diligence to make sure it wasn't answered and I didn't see it anywhere. Thank you!

thanks!!
Yep, there are community creations. There are a lot of legends already created on there, and it's only been a few days since release!

# 160 Sinner @ 11/21/14 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
There seems to be a whole bunch of launch issues going on by the looks of the 2K forums. I had to overwrite my save data because it wouldn't let me proceed in the game otherwise. Sucks.
Well it started working again but now I can't get by my other problem. When I go Under Community Creations, My logo the game freezes, it was uploading my face fine before, now it's giving me problems.

I can search the community for downloads but I click where I get the Upload Token and my game face would be and it's freezes.

Also if you save a face as Jpeg it will have a background right?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.