Home

FIFA 23 OS Community Sliders

This is a discussion on FIFA 23 OS Community Sliders within the EA Sports FIFA Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Welcome:
Welcome to the yearly tradition of the OS Community sliders for FIFA.

FIFA 23 boasts a lot of improvements, from thousands of new animations, to hypermotion2 enhancements that should replicate a true 11v11 match. Unfortunately, this thread would not exist if EA actually delivered, and the front-and-center agenda of FUT being the priority has further enhanced our doubts.

Brief History and Origin:
We have been working on FIFA sliders since FIFA 15 as a community. The goal is always to achieve the closest realism the game gives us.

How we test:
Always in Career Mode. You are investing in sliders for a reason, and most of the time that is to play in Career Mode. So, it only makes sense to test in that same environment. With so many values to be looked at, and those values being in 1 point increments, it is very easy to come up with multiple versions of sliders. We will always test on Default first, then identify the main areas to look at. From there, it's about collaborating and finding workarounds for those problem areas. With sliders, it is always a balancing act, fix one thing - potentially break the next.

Version Format:
This thread moves fast, and versions get updated. My goal is to always make less versions, but we're at the mercy of 1) EA's updates, and 2) Our own curiosity in determining the best values.

Similar to previous three years, I will be using the format in which the Version number is determined first, then a Beta number follows. For example, the first version will be Version 1, Beta 1; so it will read as : "V1B1", and down the road Version 6, Beta 2 will read "V6B2". As soon as it is determined that the version is "final", it will simply, for example, be called Version 6 Final, or "V6Final". I will make sure the OP is updated in a log format, so everyone is on the same page.

Helpful Reminders:
As always, remember that the thread moves very fast. I will do my best to update this Original Post as much as possible. I have learned a lot about how to be the "project manager" of this whole thing, so if I do not respond to every post, it is either because it got lost in the shuffle, or that replying to it would deter the thread from achieving the goal of establishing a slider set.

The Main Rules of the Thread:
1. Do not post your own full set. This deters the entire thread. All slider values are relative to one another, so if we see a value like 30 pass speed with a line length of 70, then that's not relevant to someone using a 50 pass speed with a line length of 35. It's better to leave it out of the thread, and create your own.

2. Feedback in Animation. The Match Stats only give so much information. Telling us the CPU has 99% passing is not helpful. Were they passing the ball through the backline the entire time? Details are important, and throughout the years I have asked for details in animations. What this means is simply "What do you see"? Is the CPU having that high passing because your defending players are too slow? Too far away? Too wide? In the end, VIDEO NEVER LIES, so if you have video to provide - please do so. That will save so much time and less of a Q&A.

3. We are not your customer service. This is a collaboration space. Noone is being paid here by EA. Provide feedback because you want to help, not because you feel entitled to let us do all the hard work and you sit back and criticize.

4. Respect each other. Thankfully, we have not run into this issue as much, but there have been times where it's close. First, regarding myself, I am the project manager here. What that means is I am going for a goal, and discussion about conspiracies, theories or ET is not going to be helpful. Secondly, we all have opinions and some know how to filter them, some do not. There is a message there, so do not get offended if someone disagrees with you. We love the game, and just want what is best for it - so keep it civil!

5. Please keep general impressions in the FIFA impressions thread, not here. This is a solution based thread, and general complaints will be ignored. We understand each iteration of FIFA has issues, what game doesn't, but we are given the tools to find workarounds. Remember, this is a slider thread, which means the sample size of play is significantly increased. Chances are if you are having an issue, we have most likely looked at it.
FIFA 23 - The importance of Pace - Default or Slow:
- Default Pace = Slightly faster animations, but no issues with CB jockey or Defensive Angle Animation.
- Slow Pace = Slightly slower animations, but issues with CB Jockey and Defensive Angle Animation. (which we have addressed with the sliders via Sprint/Acceleration)

Quote:
What is the CB Jockey?
Here is an explanation of the CB jockey from when we were testing some lower Sprint values on stream:

Quote:
What is DAA (Defensive Angle Animation)?
DAA occurs when the defending player takes a sharp and illogical angle towards the ball carrier:

--------------------
--------------------

Changelog & Updates:

Timestamp: 6/22/23 | 10:04 PM CST --

The Final Version

Right, so the last couple of weeks have been a bit of a testing phase that I have really enjoyed. Huge kudos to the main slider testers that I trust a whole bunch, and overall I think we have something absolutely incredible at the moment.

First things first, I'd highly suggest playing the game on the slow settings for the WC and Leg sets. The majority of testing was done on WC Slow, and even if you a regular pace player, you really won't regret playing on slow considering we have areas where the animations are smoother as a result of the changes.

The main change of the set is the significant bump to 40 pass speed. Out of context, it doesn't make sense why we'd go to such a higher pass speed, but relative to the Sprint, Acc and Pass Error values, it just works so well. No longer is the ball going to just die at the players feet, or feel like the ball is being absorbed into their bodies. No, in fact, the players have to control the ball and master it, like the actual beautiful game teaches us at an early age. Control the football. You will see just so many incredible interactions as a result. From massive deflections, to balls over the top, to switching the field, to simple overhit through balls.

Within context of the sliders, the 40 pass speed works because of the Sprint value. We tested Sprint at 55 for such a long time and we were completely frustrated how it played. The CPU kept trying to go up and down the pitch - bombarding attack after attack. No sense of any type of football. So we did what anyone would do in order to slow the game, we dropped pass speed all the way to 35. It felt better, but again - just not good enough, and still incredible fast along with constantly up and down again.

Eventually, we made the move to Sprint 51, and bumped acceleration significantly to 58 to make it a challenge in the attack. Another bump that was needed was in the user's Sprint as on 20 the CPU still tried to expose positions constantly. Once we bumped it to 40, they started to "respect" the positioning, and now they were back to adhering to the tactics, and now we started to see the game settle back into a rhythm. After that, it was a matter of re-addressing the pass speed back to 40, and sure enough, it turned out to be incredible - and we haven't looked back.

After a couple small adjustments to pass error, GK ability, Run Frequency and First Touch, the set is done and final. Keep in mind, not everything went in that order. That's usually how it goes with sliders, you basically start somewhere with the base (Sprint,Acc, HLW) and build out the error values throughout. We feel really good about the game, and the good thing is there are plenty of easy adjustments to make it harder/easier.

I will include the changes as a whole, but mainly addressing the World Class set as that is what was tested the most. Even if you are a legendary difficulty player, please consider the World Class SLOW set.

Sprint: from 20/51 to 40/51

> We basically found that indeed CPU higher sprint makes it more difficult, but at the same time, it makes it pretty unrealistic too. We took a roundtrip of 55 only to find 51 was still the magic number, but it was also about evening out the User side so the CPU can perceive the User defenders can do a job.

Acceleration: from 51/55 to 51/58

> Right a big bump for the CPU, but it was necessary in making sure they could challenge the user 1v1. The middle is highly congested than ever before, and tackles will absolutely fly in, so dribblers beware. This is another benefit of raising pass speed - you will want that ball to move quicker to avoid players getting hurt.

Pass Error: from 58/58 to 60/60

> Simply just to compensate for an increase in pass speed. This way it separates those who should play certain balls does, and those who should not - are punished accordingly.

Pass Speed: from 32/32 to 40/40

> As mentioned, just a great value that is so necessary with how much more intense the games can be. The dynamic gameplay of how the ball feels like a separate entity again is just that thing that makes you say "one more game".

GK Ability: from 50/50 to 48/48

> Just to reduce some of the incredible saves that were being made. Tested on the low end of 45 and it was back to them diving underneath too early, so 48 was a happy medium in which not every GK is superman - but they can still make some great saves, while also giving up some shockers.

Run Frequency: from 10/10 to 5/5

> We noticed the strikers, target man or not, would drift towards the endline or even sideline when they should be getting central into the box. So dropping the run frequency has allowed a more "central" approach to getting into the box.

FT Control: from 70/70 to 80/80

> Just another one of those values that separates good and bad players, but also surprises with the pass speed in how the ball can bounce to allow for more of that dynamic gameplay.

A welcome surprise: Turning on Player Based Difficulty

> This is merely a suggestion, but most of us have tested with this on in World Class and I have tested it in Legendary difficulty. To our surprise, it actually works really well and again just brings in that level of dynamic gameplay. It's not gimmicky at all anymore, and is such a welcome addition to get more gameplay variety in.

I've also changed up the order of Suggestions as the first thing to make it more difficult is play FUMA, then lower the error values, followed by acceleration modifications and lastly the CPU Sprint. I had CPU Sprint as #1, but it's all relative to the values, and relative to the 40 pass speed, a higher sprint than 51 may increase difficulty - but it sacrifices a lot of realism, which is not something we want to do with FIFA as it is.

Overall, ridiculously happy to post this for you guys. Thanks for the patience. We know the new EA game is out in a couple months - but at least we leave FIFA 23 on a good note, and a whole lot of playing time can be done until we get closer to a new game's release. It's been real. I'll have a video explanation out this weekend.

Thanks - and enjoy!

Thanks to testers: bman, laxing_ , Hapa90, jrn, TopSide

--------

--------

Serie A/B suggestion:

Something FIFA has struggled with is the lack of fluid formation (like PES) which is what a lot of modern football is about. A 3-back in the attack turns into a 5-man in defense. Unfortunately, with Serie A/B (and a few other teams in other leagues), some teams are set up with very low depth because the expected role/instructions for the central midfielders set to cover the wings and to also drop further back. As most may know, FIFA has struggled since FIFA 21 in bringing the central midfielders all the way back into the box, so the low depth tactics ends up opening a lot of space behind them and a lot of space in front of the defensive line.

To combat this, I would suggest that for the user to either A) modify the low depth B) edit a balanced formation and defensive formation, interchange manually using the d-pad tactics based on the match scenario.

So, for option B:

Set up Defensive gameplan >> from Balanced 3-4-3 >> to Defensive 5-4-1.

Ensure that the players are on their same side as their balanced gameplan so the transition is not significant or prone to exposing positioning.

I hope that helps somewhat. Please feel free to provide your own ideas of course. I just wanted to ensure this was brought up because Serie A/B is is so much fun, but the open play can be exhausting at times due to the lack of a fluid formation and transition between the attack and defense.

Common Q&A:

Quote:
I love how [difficulty] plays, but I feel like it's too easy. What can I do?
The number one value that can help with this is acceleration. Either raise it for the CPU, or lower it for the user - or both. You can see in the majority of the slider sets, we opt for a discrepancy to make it more difficult/challenging. For further options, please reference the Final version spreadsheet.

Quote:
Do the sliders make every team play the same?
No, in fact we built the set to compliment the team-tactics. A slow build-up team will feel like a team trying to break you down, while a fast-build up with forward runs and long ball will try to wear you down with quick counters and immediate outlets to the wingers. If interested, check SOFIFA or even better, use a 2nd controller and switch to the CPU side in order to see what tactics are being employed.

--------------------
--------------------
Streamers (Twitch, YouTube, etc): Please message me or post in the thread to be added!
http://twitch.tv/matt10l
- On this one you can type in !fifa_sliders in the chatbox, and the most recently streamed set will show.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Matt10L_SimSnobsFC
https://www.twitch.tv/laxing_
https://www.twitch.tv/Goblue81188
https://www.twitch.tv/Aaron458f
https://www.twitch.tv/Velocityy

--------------------
--------------------
Version Logs:
--------------------

Previous All Versions and Streamed Sets:

Version 1 - Beta 1

Spoiler

Version 2
Spoiler

Version 3
Spoiler

Version 4, Beta 1
Spoiler

Version 5
Spoiler

Version 6
Spoiler

Version 7
Spoiler

Version 8
Spoiler

Version 9
Spoiler

Spoiler

Version 10
Spoiler

Version 11
Spoiler

Version 12, Beta 1

Spoiler

Version 12, Beta2
Spoiler

Version 12 - original Final
Spoiler

--------------------
FIFA OS Sliders Archive:
FIFA 22 OS Sliders
FIFA 21 OS Sliders
FIFA 20 OS Sliders
FIFA 19 OS Sliders
FIFA 18 OS Sliders
FIFA 17 OS Sliders
FIFA 16 OS Sliders
FIFA 15 OS Sliders
--------------------

Last edited by Matt10; 06-22-2023 at 11:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2022, 12:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thank you Sir for all the hard work!
Old 09-27-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

Re: FIFA 23 OS Community Sliders

I'm ready for sliders and to never update the game so updates don't ruin it. Lolcover2.jpeg

Sent from Operation Sports Xtreme Mobile App
Old 09-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #4
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

Hyped for this year Matt. Thanks for all your work.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:20 PM   #5
Rookie

EvertonianSteeler's Arena

Streaming on Twitch.

Evertoniansteeler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
Rookie

Really nice to have these sliders so early! The marking was a bit laxist and I totally understand why you have raised it.
I feel the base game is pretty solid compared to 22, with a much better pace. But I was not here at the start of 22 so I don't know if this was the case at that time.
Anyway two games with these sliders and I'm enjoying it!
Old 09-27-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
Rookie

rasotom6's Arena

Another year it is. Thank you for all your hard work and helping the CM community continue to enjoy FIFA each year, Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-27-2022, 03:17 PM   #8
Pro

I won't be playing until the official Friday release but I really appreciate your efforts as usual, Matt. Great job you do for this community. Can't wait to start my career mode with these!

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders »