Home

JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's M17 Sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #3537
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

Thanks, i very much appreciate the feedback. I think it might be a good idea to see how the cpu progresses players and try to build some guidelines along those lines. I'd prefer to control progression a bit more to fit my schemes, but I do agree about not giving myself a huge advantage there. My first full season was using a bad setup of your sliders that had me go undefeated. I made some other unfair decisions that gave my team too much of a boost. In the playoffs i got back to a more organic copy of your sliders and the games were much better. I still need to expand my play calling. But id like to fine tune things to keep a healthy long term franchise going. I am hoping i can recover from getting too strong and let it settle out and stay challenging.

Sent from my Z956 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #3538
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouk58
Thanks, i very much appreciate the feedback. I think it might be a good idea to see how the cpu progresses players and try to build some guidelines along those lines. I'd prefer to control progression a bit more to fit my schemes, but I do agree about not giving myself a huge advantage there. My first full season was using a bad setup of your sliders that had me go undefeated. I made some other unfair decisions that gave my team too much of a boost. In the playoffs i got back to a more organic copy of your sliders and the games were much better. I still need to expand my play calling. But id like to fine tune things to keep a healthy long term franchise going. I am hoping i can recover from getting too strong and let it settle out and stay challenging.

As far as controlling progression....supposedly, the CPU progression is partly driven by the preferred traits of a position based on how you define your scheme.

So, if you want your ROLB to be a cover guy, set the scheme for that position to the Cover 2 type ROLB. This will focus progression more on those skills needed to make a player more effective for that role.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #3539
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Do you guys find that you need to handicap yourselves as far as cfm goes from season to season to keep the cpu competitive?

Josh nailed most things. But since I'm 9 seasons in on one of my CFMs I think I might have a bit more to add that may help.

-Adjusted XP Sliders (4 week progression) are a must for keeping the cpu at a good level. Obviously I recommend mine because of the dumb amount of work I put into them to try to get the most realistic results and they are working very well in my current CFM.

-As Josh said you really need to auto sim your drills (at a bronze level) and also auto progress your players. It is just to easy to abuse progression without even really trying. Now some might say to turn down the XP Sliders but then that will nerf cpu progression and you'd wind up in the same boat either way. I did my own the first two seasons and without a doubt my players were improving at a greater rate then the cpu players. Not huge but there was an advantage for me. The last 7 seasons have been auto progressed and it's on par with the cpu. It's a necessary evil unfortunately but really not a big deal overall.

-Now with that out of the way here is the most important part of keeping things on the level. Transactions. All of them. Trading, FA, resigning players. It's all to easy to shade in your favor. So I'll break each down a bit:
-Trading: Not so much for players but for draft picks. Madden just doesn't value draft picks like they should. Trading a bunch of older but higher rated players for high draft picks is not only super unrealistic but just down right cheating really. If you roll into a draft with 4 1st rd picks you are cheating the system. Also trading a player in a contract year for draft picks. This almost never happens in real life and if it did you wouldn't be getting a high pick or multiple picks for a player. It'd be maybe 1 late pick. This isn't the MLB trade deadline.
-Resigning players: You should only get 2 shots at resigning a player and after that no more try's. You miss on the first 2 oh well. Move on.
-FA: So here if you want a guy it's to easy to just keep bidding higher until you have top bid. So you only get one shot per week. If you really want a guy, you bid, and it's only the 2nd best you better hope he doesn't sign and you get another chance next week. This really makes you think how bad you want a player and you're gonna have to spend for them if you really want/need that guy.

Those are my best suggestions to keep things competitive and fun and they seem to work very well. As for player schemes dictating on how players are progressed I haven't seen any real evidence that this is happening but just in case it's more of a subtle thing I always keep my player schemes the same regardless of if I'm starting a guy who may not fit correctly. That's what I want so that's what I stick with.

Also a side note. For any like me who never got real deep in a CFM before watch out for the salary cap. When you start resigning those decent guys (if you drafted well) from the first couple drafts and don't think about the future you will find yourself in cap hell around season 6-7. It can be a mess. For 2 years I couldn't resign anybody because I had no cap. I lost some absolute studs for nothing. At the start of mu current season I had to unload Brandon Cooks (99 ovr but pushing 30) and my franchise QB Daniel Shelton (91 Ovr, 26 years old) who had won me 2 Super Bowls. But I signed them to stupid contracts and I had to get some relief some how. It was tough to let them go. I got a 4th rounder apiece for them which I think was quite fair. Hope this helped.

Last edited by tdawg3782; 04-26-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #3540
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awffltony77
hahaha, last night my wife walked by and said "how come I never see you playing that d@mn baseball game you just had to have?"

I really can't get enough of this.

Im totally immersed in two different CFM's (Vikes and Browns).

Man.....sure can't hide a crappy offensive lineman anymore lol. They find him.

Im very encouraged for '18, as (hopefully) we can start right here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cable guy
I'm the same way! I'm done with Madden by now. But not this year.

Player ratings matter like never before. I love my stars. I actually hate some stars on other teams.

Yep I actually havent bought the baseball game, I thought I'd be getting on the day of release. Still going strong in CFM. I've done several seasons with Dallas. I'm curious to try other teams out now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dude ratings are no joke now. Your stud QB goes down and it freaking hurts. Beast pass rusher gets hurt and it's like a whole new defense. That bruiser of a HB misses some time and your 72 Ovr backup just sucks lol. It is so great. Those studs on the other side are no joke as well. Man it's so damn fun guys. I really can't get over it.

Josh your previous version was so good. We went back and forth on how well it played. But damn dude. This make those look like garbage lol. That's how much these have improved the gameplay. Man I hope people just sit down and play. I mean really just play and not worry about all the bull**** stuff we can't fix in this game because this gameplay is so freaking good right now. I can honestly see myself playing all the way tell the next Madden comes out. To bad they don't have a thing like The Show where you can continue you CFM on the next version.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #3541
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
Dude ratings are no joke now. Your stud QB goes down and it freaking hurts. Beast pass rusher gets hurt and it's like a whole new defense. That bruiser of a HB misses some time and your 72 Ovr backup just sucks lol. It is so great. Those studs on the other side are no joke as well. Man it's so damn fun guys. I really can't get over it.
Oh man, Am I living that "ratings matter" nightmare with the Vikings.

I started off 1-3, then kinda got my crap together and won 4 straight. Then Bradford breaks his hand getting sacked in Philly. Insert Shawn Hill, he of the 74 arm strength. And not only that, his throwing motion is just....he kinda pushes the ball instead of throwing it. Its all so terrible. It reduced what I could do inside my offense by more than half (I also am an avid supporter of the OL injury generator, and good golly do you learn about how much THOSE ratings matter once they are gone for a few weeks).

But with a really really good (and relatively healthy) defense, I made it to week 9 against 6-2 Washington at 5-3. And its a down pour, recievers slipping all over, Hill throwing the football like Lamar threw the javalin in "Revenge of the Nerds".....4 first half picks and a strip sack in which HE got hurt......enter practice squad QB Tyler Hienicke (like 77 THP and 50 some odd AWR) and its just......just awful man. You just can not compensate or cover for it like before.

IDK what im gonna do in my next game, I have Hienicke and I went and signed that fat kid the Jets drafted and cut...And those are my two QBs....

Loving this.

Last edited by awffltony77; 04-27-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #3542
Rookie

Thanks for the in depth input tdawg. I was already lining up to do most of those things. The only thing that really i need to think about is auto progressing. I might need to handle a couple special cases myself and let the cpu do the rest. I was happy not to see anything about inhibiting scouting. Now i just need to get my new playbooks locked down and i can give it a fresh go. I did a few too many trades with the cpu and the drafts have just been too good

Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #3543
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for the in depth input tdawg. I was already lining up to do most of those things. The only thing that really i need to think about is auto progressing. I might need to handle a couple special cases myself and let the cpu do the rest. I was happy not to see anything about inhibiting scouting. Now i just need to get my new playbooks locked down and i can give it a fresh go. I did a few too many trades with the cpu and the drafts have just been too good

Armor has a pretty in depth, and hard core sim set of house rules written up on his OP.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #3544
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

A few in-game house rules I use are:

*No user catch (love how the ratings play out in the WR/DB interactions)

*No using the same play more than once on the same drive

*No backspin punts (even though the CPU does them, the aren't all that good at it.) And as far as punting in general, they are absolutely terrible. Constantly being able to pin your opponent inside the 10 shifts the advantage WAY into your favor in close games.

And I know I mention it quite a bit, but I couldn't stay this emmersed into a CFM with out the OL injury generator. The CPU lineman get hurt all the time. Thats another fakey advantage I enjoy removing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »