Home

Halo: Reach

This is a discussion on Halo: Reach within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #33
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Halo: Reach

The Seattle Times

Reach:

Quote:
I'm not sure of the P.R. schedule. The game's fun to play now. That's sort of the way we build games, by iterating them, adjusting them to how we like it and how we think the fans will love it.
Quote:
ODST is a game the team loves to play. It was a mode of play we thought about, built parts of in some of our games historically in the past, but didn't get the level of polish and execution where it became the primary mode of the game. That's true of ODST, it's also true of what's going to be coming out in Reach. Reach is going to be the culmination of a lot of things technically and from a design point of view. But also as a story in the Halo universe that the team has wanted to play, to experience, as a game. ODST and Reach are really games where we truly focused what we wanted to get in the experience and the game out of pieces of the last 10 years of Halo.
Quote:
I wouldn't say specifically that elements of ODST are story elements or design elements in Reach. We'll have more to talk about Reach later. It's definitely the case that we're getting better and better at what we like in the games and executing on them. It doesn't mean any specific feature will carry over. But in each Halo game you see a lot of the best elements from all the previous Halo games pulled into them - that's true from Halo 1 through ODST. That will happen with Reach, too.
On Natal:

Quote:
It remains to be seen what we can get done with it in the timeframe we have for the games under development. It is relatively new. As they said in the (E3) briefing, it's just now coming out, it's not coming to market yet. We don't know when it's going to be in the market yet. If it's not going to be in the market we probably won't spend a lot of time devving for it. If it looks like it's coming out, we'll definitely add support where it makes sense in the game. But I don't think it's going to be the primary gaming mode for a Halo game - because I think all of my developers and testers would drop dead from attempting to run, duck, crouch, circle strafe...
Quote:
I absolutely think Reach could be enabled with it. Historically we've looked at lots of different control methods for the Halo games. Certainly other stuff from Microsoft - new controller layouts, we always work on them and everything else. One of the problems with the Halo games is we've got whatever it is, 8 or 10 million or 12 million people who have played and liked the game ... a lot of the ones who are playing it all the time are very attached to their control scheme and they're the most vocal group. We couldn't do anything that would hurt the state of what people love as we implement new controls.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
you forgot to use the word "potentially".

Even though MS showed off Milo to highlight what they want to do with the technology, that kind of stuff is a ways off, maybe not even this generation. The Milo level of voice interaction was proven to be highly scripted with a mix of clever programming by people who tried it out later. Even Peter Molyneux acknowledges that Milo mostly goes off voice pitch, instead of actually understanding what you say.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3...milo-interview

So if this were applied to a squad based shooter right now, I'd rather use a controller than use broken sentences and phrases a voice recognition program can understand, which may not even match the input accuracy of a controller.
Well I doubt that Bungie will use it if it isn't a good feature to add to the game and doesn't work well.

People are really freaking out over this. First off, we don't even know for sure that Natal will be used in Reach, and I have faith that Bungie isn't going to use it unless it is a cool feature that works well and adds another element to the game.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #35
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Yuhas
Well I doubt that Bungie will use it if it isn't a good feature to add to the game and doesn't work well.

People are really freaking out over this. First off, we don't even know for sure that Natal will be used in Reach, and I have faith that Bungie isn't going to use it unless it is a cool feature that works well and adds another element to the game.
I don't see anyone freaking out. However, it had to be expected that a discussion would start up when MS potentially mixes Natal with a core franchise like Halo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I don't see anyone freaking out. However, it had to be expected that a discussion would start up when MS potentially mixes Natal with a core franchise like Halo.
I'm not saying here, but accross the web there are people blowing this way out of proportion.

I agree, Microsoft is going to want to get Natal into projects that hardcore gamers are into, instead of just a bunch of casual games to launch Natal with.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

OVR: 43

I think incorperating Natal into Reach would be cool if done right. Hand signals for certain comands and etc. It doesnt have to be full Motion sensing and not alot of people dont know that. I am waiting until there is like a full on death match game made for natal with swords.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 21

Animation Reel for Halo Reach
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #39
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

The video is gone already.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #40
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

Reach to be Bungie's Last Halo

Quote:
Halo: Reach will be Bungie's final Halo game, with the company moving on to new projects following completion of the title next year.

Halo: Combat Evolved marked the series' debut on the first Xbox back in 2001, and since then Bungie has gone on to create one of the definitive videogame franchises with the second and third instalments of the game. Halo 3: ODST is due this September, while Halo: Reach - which goes back to the origins of the Halo story - is expected next autumn.

"After Reach that's it for us," Bungie's Lars Bakken told IGN. "We're already working on a new IP that we can't talk about yet, I don't know when we'll be talking about it - when we're ready I suppose."

Bakken was cryptic as to the nature of Bungie's next game - though suggested that it may well step away from the first person mechanics that have defined the studio's output for the past decade; "If you look at Bungie's past we've done a lot of different styles - first person to third person to RTS - so it could be anything."

Future Halo games will be overseen by the recently revealed 343 Industries, which is headed up by former Bungie employee Frank O'Connor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »