Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Quote:
"Here is the most recent 'Behind The Scenes' clip from NBA ELITE 11. This clip of OJ Mayo driving the lane is a great example of the all-new Hands-On Control. It combines a shot fake to get the defender to bite, one-to-one behind the back dribble move to get into the key, a pro-hop to create space and a layup to finish. This is user v. user gameplay and as you can see the sticks give you more control than you get playing with the button controls. By playing with the sticks, switching to buttons, then back to Hands-On Control, you will really be able to feel the difference for yourself. You'll be able to experience this and a whole lot more in the demo coming soon to both PSN and XBL."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Boilerbuzz @ 09/14/10 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
I'm sure it will include pointing out improvements by showing where your previous effort was lacking. I don't get why some of you guys are reaching so hard. Is it bashing when you see how ineffective 2K10's plays were vs. 2K11? Or blogs pointing out where things were lacking and how they've been improved? Use of cliches doesn't suddenly make it bashing.
I agree with what you're saying. The only caveat however is that it SEEMS EA dogging elements of Live 10 that many felt were its strength. The fact that controls was a focus, when most felt that controls was the best out there, speaks to that.

# 82 Tha_Kid @ 09/14/10 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypuppet
it was me and I've also carefuly documented some stuff earlier in this thread about verticals and player models that I hope the devs take note if.
Right, right. My mistake. But good thread, you should add the Jamal Crawford picture to it, as it is the most glaring example yet. The Boozer dunk made them take a hard look at dunk distances, but they need to drop all around verticals as well, instead of leaving us to do it only to get wiped by the next DNA update.

# 83 Boilerbuzz @ 09/14/10 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemoe
I've never seen a MOD so against a game lol
Back up dude. 23 has ALWAYS been a honest and vocal dude. He'll tell you how he feels regardless of the game. It's not about being a mod.

# 84 23 @ 09/14/10 12:43 AM
Quote:
OK Dre. I don't get why you're coming at me so hard when we're pretty much in agreement about the things you're touching on.

I look through the thread and see a red flag on a post and a banned under a username. Didn't insinuate any further, or assume to have some sort of insight.

FWIW i did the global edits that you/tomba/playermakers did, so I guess I did touch the ratings. Obviously you went in depth and found things that corrected issues. I never questioned that, rather i appreciated it.

Look man, that dude knows exactly why he was banned. Seeing the red card is only there as a reason to mark banned users for Millineum

As far as the discussion on the issues im pointing out because truthfully its a huge exercise in frustration.

It shouldnt even be in this years game that guys are magically getting back on defense again.. the rating editing was painstaking effort and honestly I dont trust EA to rectify them since its never been done before.. im just being honest

# 85 coolcras7 @ 09/14/10 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomzenns
the only way for people to stop talking trash about this game is to give a demo.
No the only way to stop people from talking as you said "trash" is to make a better game and stop giving us 1 minute clips when the game comes out in 3 weeks, plus it would be nice if they told us when the demo was coming out, if there is a date already set what is the point of keeping it a secret.

# 86 Tha_Kid @ 09/14/10 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I agree with what you're saying. The only caveat however is that it SEEMS EA dogging elements of Live 10 that many felt were its strength. The fact that controls was a focus, when most felt that controls was the best out there, speaks to that.
I thought they dogged what control elements deserved dogging (the suction animations) while presenting the 1-to-1 as better. I mean I agree with you (why defend marketing videos), but I found the whole "shooting was based on luck" much more inflammatory than anything else about controls.

Even then, I think total control is just a marketing way of saying "more choices". They just broke things down an extra level. I also spent most of last year on Live 10 because of how great the general controls were.

From the very first announcement about Elite, EA showed they had an internal goal and method to attempt to achieve it (focus on Elite's controls & physics). Gamers didn't ask for it, nor did we get most of what we did ask for. EA should expect the requisite backlash for that.

# 87 23 @ 09/14/10 12:58 AM
I think its a bad idea to put the devs under that kind of a situation.

Who goes from full gameplay to 1 minute clips? Thats like backwards marketing, especially when it wasnt even extra ordinary.

Im not trying to rock the boat but good lord whats really going on man?

Im not of the its Live 07 again and theyre going to die group but dude this stuff is just weird to the average viewer.

# 88 Saviour @ 09/14/10 12:59 AM
The problem that I have with these Elite videos is that the developers seem bent on showing you highlights. Can they show me some simulation style basketball and stop harping on highlights in each video. I know they had to release videos after that Boozer video was released, but even when they try to slow the game down all the players do is cross over, around the back, stutter step, etc. It gets old real fast just watching, and I am not playing the game yet.

# 89 Tha_Kid @ 09/14/10 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
As far as the discussion on the issues im pointing out because truthfully its a huge exercise in frustration.

It shouldnt even be in this years game that guys are magically getting back on defense again.. the rating editing was painstaking effort and honestly I dont trust EA to rectify them since its never been done before.. im just being honest
That's fair. They (Elite Team) have yet to acknowledge the effectiveness of last year's ratings edits, so that's not only frustrating but doesn't induce trust to look at them when addressing the issue.

# 90 Boilerbuzz @ 09/14/10 01:06 AM
Quote:
I thought they dogged what control elements deserved dogging (the suction animations) while presenting the 1-to-1 as better. I mean I agree with you (why defend marketing videos), but I found the whole "shooting was based on luck" much more inflammatory than anything else about controls.
Oh yeah. We totally agree. But they dogged elements of control that you mention, but changed things that didn't need to be changed to address those issues. So, in essence, what was good in Live 10 got pissed on. At least what *I* felt was good.

Quote:
Even then, I think total control is just a marketing way of saying "more choices". They just broke things down an extra level. I also spent most of last year on Live 10 because of how great the general controls were.
I can see that. But it remains to be seen how much more choices we really have. Note that the discussion, in part, is based on folks feeling as if they're seeing the same stuff over and over again.

Quote:
From the very first announcement about Elite, EA showed they had an internal goal and method to attempt to achieve it (focus on Elite's controls & physics). Gamers didn't ask for it, nor did we get most of what we did ask for. EA should expect the requisite backlash for that.
And THAT is a huge, huge reason why the backlash is so strong. People not only feel as if their issues were ignored, but that the things they liked were ignored by being "revamped". It's a slap and a backslap in the face to some.

# 91 yungflo @ 09/14/10 01:07 AM
Quote:
I agree, the controls could have waited. Out of all areas, they wanted to start with control? That could have waited til next yr, and improve on live 10's GP, even with rtp. Nothing needed a total overhaul.

Maybe graphics, but that's it.

You'll see when they admit this all in elite 12 when they don't appease the metacritic rate of 90 they so desperately want instead of listening to the gamers.

Just like 07's travesty.

OS is not a small community, We are sims nation, we are a microcosm of what sim/casual gamers want, go look at that wishlist, its long. To say people are bashing(because of negative constructive criticism) is ridiculous, that wishlist and complaints indicates passion for sim bball.

# 92 Boilerbuzz @ 09/14/10 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saviour
The problem that I have with these Elite videos is that the developers seem bent on showing you highlights. Can they show me some simulation style basketball and stop harping on highlights in each video. I know they had to release videos after that Boozer video was released, but even when they try to slow the game down all the players do is cross over, around the back, stutter step, etc. It gets old real fast just watching, and I am not playing the game yet.
So you're saying you just want to see this basketball game just play some basic basketball... I feel you there. But that what I felt the gameplay footage was doing and that's why I was hoping for more than a 1 minute clip of 5 seconds of actions.

# 93 TreyIM2 @ 09/14/10 01:11 AM
Actually, didn't EA harp on the controls, last year, along with those damn 5 million pairs of sneakers avail in the game? Ha. Again, I will admit, the controls is what helped me not purchase the other game, last year, but to speak in this clip, err body pretty much got it right - Crazy ups and recovery speed.

rEAnimator - PLEASE get EA to focus on momentum (along with animations) next year. That first block attempt where dude comes running over then jumps to the moon, lands with NO momentum carry over and turns with ease to be able to recover and make another block attempt is upsetting to a bruva. Heh. Crawford's momentum should have had more of an affect in taking him out of the play with that kind of running leap.

# 94 Boilerbuzz @ 09/14/10 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
rEAnimator - PLEASE get EA to focus on momentum (along with animations) next year. That first block attempt where dude comes running over then jumps to the moon, lands with NO momentum carry over and turns with ease to be able to recover and make another block attempt is upsetting to a bruva. Heh. Crawford's momentum should have had more of an affect in taking him out of the play with that kind of running leap.
Be careful with that request. If you want players to respect momentum, you're going to lose a large element of control. You can't have a guy not go where he's wants to go if he has to slow down, turn, and accelerate...

# 95 IV THA UNITY @ 09/14/10 01:31 AM
Crawford jumping and recovering to jump again is "NOT" real time physics. It's sad that they iterated on this aspect of the game and it seems absent it almost every video. I liked the controls in live 10. They could have been tweaked for more user control but not overhauled. I personally don't want a demo now because this game just looks basic in approach. There is nothing that separates Deron Williams from D-Wade to Carlos Arroyo. They all have the same moves. I wanna play an NBA game to play with NBA players and their move sets. This is just a Basketball game, not NBA basketball, I hope 12 is better next year because I am definitely not buying this because they Sacrificed animations for controls that only needed additions and not an overhaul. IDK, everything sounds good on paper, but in motion it looks bad to me.

# 96 convince @ 09/14/10 01:37 AM
Quote:
Be careful with that request. If you want players to respect momentum, you're going to lose a large element of control. You can't have a guy not go where he's wants to go if he has to slow down, turn, and accelerate...
But it's the only way to prevent sliding and make crossover from Rose vs Eddie House different. This is why i think it will be a slow process. This year TPC, next year less TPC with better Foot Planting, year 3 even less control and more effect of players rating, where Rose crossover and drive is quicker and more effective than Derek Fisher. Because this year i believe the motto is, "If you can think, you can do it" it doesn't matter who you have.

# 97 TreyIM2 @ 09/14/10 01:40 AM
Quote:
Eh, they have to figure out how to make it work where control is not completely sacrificed. That's apart of the engineering team's job - Come up with innovations. Hell, do we as people have control of our momentum when we are trying to slow down after particular movements in life? Nope.

# 98 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 09/14/10 01:56 AM
what an incredibly unsatisfying video. Only a min long? Its the same moves over and over again. This isnt representing the sport of basketball in my opinion. All its showing me is a pickup game you might see in your
neighborhood, where people want to show off.

# 99 jspeed04 @ 09/14/10 02:03 AM
After seeing many of the other hands on videos as well as the head to heads released and being so, so disappointed by them, this looks really good. I hope to see more of the same.

# 100 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 02:07 AM
Quote:
And it isn't new. left4dead (i think) made a good thread about it, You & Czar tried to explain it to rEAnimator. I threw up a screencap from the Heat/Magic game. No one likes it. I just don't see why de-rail the thread. rEAnimator said that verticals will need to be reduced across the board for the sim gamer, and that's probably as close to an admission as we'll get. After playing the demo, everyone will be on the same playing field in terms of having felt the responsiveness and having a leg to stand on when you tell the devs that no one wants unrealistic jumping sans gathering. Until then, why go on about it? If you show someone something that looks ridiculous and they say it doesn't, what can you do?

On another topic, what happened to leaving a thread alone if there was nothing positive or constructive to say? Navigating Elite threads has been a chore, and yet the only ban is a guy who could have quoted his post from one of Czar's Ten Teams Ten Days video threads?
I had a long PM message with Da_Czar where I explained our reasoning on the high verticals for blocking.

I have to run in a second (in korea at the korean games conference about to give my presentation) but I'll give it a quick go here.

Yes the verticals are unrealistic. But we did that intentionally to make another aspect of the game more realistic.

Basically, we took real life scenarios and tested them out in the game to make sure the game was responding like real life.

So take two equally tall players, put the defender right up on the ball carrier and and tell the defender "I'm going to shoot the ball in 3 seconds" and then do it.

In real life, the defender should block that shot 9/10 times.

In our game at the time, with realistic verticals, you could never, and I mean never, block that shot. The reasons are reaction delay, the time it took the animation to play out with the proper gather, and the general controller latency.

So we tuned the game until we got a real life result for that scenario.

We then proceeded to do the same thing with a ton of other real life scenarios.

What you're left with is a game that "controls" like real life, gives realistic results, but sacrifices realism in other areas, like verticals and jump gathers.

People may not agree with our choices, but you have to admit that it is a perfectly valid approach to building a sim game.

And it offers something gamers haven't had before in a basketball game.

Usually that kind of thing would be appreciated by the hard core.

I'm hoping once the demo gets out people will start to understand better.

hope this made sense...so jet lagged

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.