Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Quote:
"Here is the most recent 'Behind The Scenes' clip from NBA ELITE 11. This clip of OJ Mayo driving the lane is a great example of the all-new Hands-On Control. It combines a shot fake to get the defender to bite, one-to-one behind the back dribble move to get into the key, a pro-hop to create space and a layup to finish. This is user v. user gameplay and as you can see the sticks give you more control than you get playing with the button controls. By playing with the sticks, switching to buttons, then back to Hands-On Control, you will really be able to feel the difference for yourself. You'll be able to experience this and a whole lot more in the demo coming soon to both PSN and XBL."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 23 @ 09/14/10 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
Second, you can't really access your full vertical leap when attempting to block a jumper from a defensive stance....you can get a good contest, but just b/c you have a 40 inch vert doesn't mean you can access it from a defensive slide or stand still. Just as the player shooting the jumper doesn't jump 40 inches up to shoot his J but somehow is able to shoot over the top of defenders know when and how he will shoot.
Thing is, an overcommited defender, especially one trying to block a jumper will usually get faked into oblivion which you see in alot of these videos (accept they then magcially come back down in a figure 7 to recover), or he gets pump faked into a foul or whatever.

For years in the promos Ive seen a bunch of times guys getting their jumpers blocked and it always looked odd, but now I see why. Its just not what you see happening in real life

# 122 staffan @ 09/14/10 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredre
not the best elite video out, and no contact by the defense? smh...how can this look better than 2k11 how!?
Perfect!
Lets compare the games!!!
GOOD IDEA!!!!!

I think Elite looking better and better and I am really looking forward to try the demo!

# 123 Kaanyr Vhok @ 09/14/10 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Be careful with that request. If you want players to respect momentum, you're going to lose a large element of control. You can't have a guy not go where he's wants to go if he has to slow down, turn, and accelerate...
But thats been around since Madden was 2D. Thats why Live had all the sliding last gen. We have always traded control for realism. The problem is when the momentum is messed up like 2k9's. The key is giving the user the control to dictate the momentum so Crawford could slow up and avoid taking himself out of the play.

# 124 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kfanatic
Can't you just adjust how fast a player shoot so that realism in verticals don't have to be compromised? Just a suggestion lol.
Yes, absolutely. But the the length of time a player shoots affects how effectively you can close a guy out. We don't want to make that unbalanced either.

But what you're saying is totally fair and when you try the demo you can give us feedback on how well we balanced things.

It's an ongoing process and it's really hard to please everyone.

# 125 Mrko @ 09/14/10 05:14 AM
Pump fakes, drive left, behind the back to the right, Pro hop to the left, then jumps to the right side of the rim for a right handed layup. I'll pass.

# 126 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
Well its nice to see that you guys went through this and thought about it deeply before putting in the game. And I'll even forgive you guys for it if I'm playing this game months down the road and I see that it has more of a positive effect on the gameplay then a negative one.

But my question is are you going to work on this issue to make sure that gathers are in next years game? Or is this just going to be the way you are going to handle that aspect of gameplay from now on?
No we're going to keep working on it. There's always more you can do to make things better.

For a long time we've been compromising gameplay for looks. We flipped the script this year, but that doesn't mean we've given up on perfecting both sides.

That's still very much a goal.

# 127 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrko
Pump fakes, drive left, behind the back to the right, Pro hop to the left, then jumps to the right side of the rim for a right handed layup. I'll pass.
How come? What is it about that sequence of moves that turns you off?

# 128 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convince
Sounds to me like you are sacrificing actual visual realism to get "Realistic" stats, and IMO I just couldn't disagree more.
Not realistic stats, but realistic outcomes given specific user timings and intentions.

You can never get stats perfect because people can just stop playing defense.

But in controlled situations you should be able to mimic the real life outcomes. And the hope is that when you get enough controlled situations right, you get the gameplay balance right.

That was the goal.

# 129 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
No offense, but I honestly can't read this and keep a straight face after watching Carlos Boozer take off from the free throw line and do a MJ dunk in one of the other videos.. I think it's clear the audience that you're trying to appeal to, it's the same audience that wanted NBA Jam so bad and who will be willing to buy the game even more because because NBA Jam is packaged in. In previous games and going by videos, this one as well, it's took major slider and roster edits to get it to play a realistic game. I got no problem with the series being an arcade game, I just wish someone would admit it.
Except that we changed that based on feeback from THIS community.

So yes, I agree that our audience is clear...I just don't think we're in agreement as to what that audience is

# 130 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a walrus
You made drasticly un-realistic changes in one critical area to obtain realistic results in another. This is a perfectly valid approach in building a SIM basketball game. All the while addressing situations un-common in the real game , defender knowing a shot will occur and not being able to react quickly enoughf to block it. Correct me if I'm wrong , your words suggest you started with a broken product and had to break it a bit more to fix it?
The situation is a litmus test. And we had a lot more of them that just this one.

But if you can't get something as simple as that scenario correct, I don't know how the game can be labeled sim.

Did we start with a broken product? I guess that's one way of putting it. We started with a clean slate on that feature. So yeah, I guess that would be broken. And then we worked on it all year until it was what we have now.

That's how games are developed.

# 131 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp111
well i have to say that i perfer a game with realistic visuals and behaviors. I just dont see that with any video you guys have released at this moment, i was really looking forward to the direct stream video, but it never came, but now im think it wont be to much different from the previous videos released.... im trying to reserve my judgements until the demo hits to get a hands on feel, because i do believe that this game will be one that i have to feel,
but i must say after watching the other game thats avaibable, It looks, and seems to play very sim, ill test it out tomorrow, but it looks like the truest sim experience ever created concerning basketball.......
just waiting on the elite 11 demo now, my final judgement on getting both games this year ways on that....
Can't argue with this at all. That's all we can ask of anyone.

# 132 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Man in real life thats not real

Jumpshooters dont get their shots blocked that often.. contested and maybe the mechanic altered some yes, but not blocked

Nobody knows when the guy is going to shoot the ball.. shoot listen to Kobe, he sets his defender up in the last seconds with the very thinking, they cant see the clock so they dont know when im going to shoot.

I dont get why you guys at EA are so obsessed with the defender blocking jumpers so much. It just doesnt happen that way. I dont consider that realistic at all.

Thats the entire thing about the NBA, guys already know what other teams are going to do but the offense usually executes anyway. Only when the defender is on top of the offense is when he gets a block or stop

You're not going to block Ray Allen just because you know when he's shooting alone. 99% of the time you jump late, you can forget about it
And that's what I described. The defender being right up on the dribbler and having full knowledge that he was going to shoot.

You can't argue that in that situation the shot wouldn't be blocked.

Everything else you said is bang on once you remove that knowledge.

And that's the case in our game as well.

You shouldn't be trying to block all the time because you'll get burned with the pump fake and won't get the timing right all the time. It's usually not worth the risk.

But if you take that risk and the dribbler does the wrong thing he should pay.

But he should have all the tools you have in real life to make sure you look like a fool when you jump every time trying to block the shot.

# 133 Mrko @ 09/14/10 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
How come? What is it about that sequence of moves that turns you off?
His moves should've stop after the pro hop. I mean jumping to the left side of the goal then jumping all the way to the right, is something that shouldn't happen that fluid. If you don't understand what i mean by that, try this, act out that sequence in real life. After the behind the back in one direction to a two foot hop step to the left was cool, but from a hard hop step to jumping to the other side of the rim, should result in some kind of delay because of momentum.

# 134 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
Second, you can't really access your full vertical leap when attempting to block a jumper from a defensive stance....you can get a good contest, but just b/c you have a 40 inch vert doesn't mean you can access it from a defensive slide or stand still. Just as the player shooting the jumper doesn't jump 40 inches up to shoot his J but somehow is able to shoot over the top of defenders know when and how he will shoot.
Agreed. But you also can slightly get out of that stance in anticipation of wanting to jump.

We don't give you that control, so something had to give.

You may not agree with our choice, but it was with all the right intentions.

# 135 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrko
His moves should've stop after the pro hop. I mean jumping to the left side of the goal then jumping all the way to the right, is something that shouldn't happen that fluid. If you don't understand what i mean by that, try this, act out that sequence in real life. After the behind the back in one direction to a two foot hop step to the left was cool, but from a hard hop step to jumping to the other side of the rim, should result in some kind of delay because of momentum.
And there we have a perfect example of constructive feedback.

Thank you.

I completely agree by the way. I have not been happy with the way momentum is respected in the pro hops this year. This is an area we need to improve.

Now if we can just get all the other negative posts to follow suit with this we can start getting to the heart of the problems and start making positive change.

# 136 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
i wouldnt think a smart defender would be trying to go for the block on a jumpshot everytime. Thats insane. The thinking should be trying to contest the shot, and make it harder. You want to be aggressive, but not too aggressive where you have the potential of fouling the shooter. And timing is the main reason why you DONT see alot of blocks against jumpshooters.
I completely agree. But it's under user control so biting on the pump fake is entirely in your hands (for the guy you're controlling).

Isn't that the way you want it? I know it's how I want it.

# 137 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
I really don't understand your version or EA version of sim, you can't make the players do unrealistic things then say we are sim, no you're not.
So you're saying that in order for a game to be sim the players cannot do anything unrealistic?

If that's the criteria, then I've never seen a sim game in my life. There's always something...

# 138 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
this is still confusing me. what exactly is this offering me. Why fix one thing, but create another problem, and then feel as if you made the right decision? I dont see how saying "why dont we have them jump unrealistically to fix this" makes it a solution?
No, it's not a perfect solution.

But in my opinion it's better than favoring visuals over the proper gameplay balance.

Everyone will have a different take on this depending on what you want to get out of the game.

# 139 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:42 AM
Alright, that's it for the night. Need to get some sleep.

That's what I get for making a controversial statement I guess. But I answered every comment, you gotta give me credit for that

Shanghai tomorrow...hopefully I'll have time to check in here again.

# 140 Muzyk23 @ 09/14/10 06:03 AM
Have a nice presentation and do check back.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.