Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

If you are looking for more information on MyGM, FranchisePlay.me has posted a new 10 minute interview with Senior Producer Erick Boensich detailing the mode a bit in-depth. You can watch it above you here!

Also there is a new hands-on impressions article from Bleacher Report of NBA 2K14 next-gen. If you haven't yet, check out our hands-on impressions as well and be sure to read through our report on yesterday's press event for NBA 2K14 next-gen.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 cthurt @ 10/25/13 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Dude, the my player is the thing you create when you start the game. It's literally been in like the last three games and nobody has bitched about it until right now. You were already "forced" to create a MyPlayer. If you didn't have a problem with the profile/character you were forced to create for the last three years at least (maybe since 2K11 too, I can't remember) then don't start bitching about it now to boost your non-30 team association rage. Trust me we all understand your anger about that, no need to try to add extra layers onto your plight.
I wouldnt call it "bitching" but is there anything wrong with having a real gm option too?? And creating the myplayer over the last couple of years was no issue becuase thats all it was just a creation it was never included in what I played. And im not mad or angry at all the 30 team thing is fine with me as long as logic is better like they said becuase truthfully I hated having to clean up behind the cpu AI.

Im pretty sure you have voiced your opinion about this game or another game so saying im bitching is out of line if you disagree thats fine but lets be respectful.

# 182 charter04 @ 10/25/13 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Once again, it's not a matter of trade logic being flawed or not. It's always going to be "flawed" when I can't have an option to control it. CPU does a trade? What if I don't like the trade they made? What do I do then?
Real teams make stupid trades all the time. If you control every team how is that realistic? It's fine if that's what you want but, why get so worried about what all the CPU teams do?

# 183 King_B_Mack @ 10/25/13 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I wouldnt call it "bitching" but is there anything wrong with having a real gm option too?? And creating the myplayer over the last couple of years was no issue becuase thats all it was just a creation it was never included in what I played. And im not mad or angry at all the 30 team thing is fine with me as long as logic is better like they said becuase truthfully I hated having to clean up behind the cpu AI.

Im pretty sure you have voiced your opinion about this game or another game so saying im bitching is out of line if you disagree thats fine but lets be respectful.
I don't mean to come off so harsh, but when I see someone saying they're being forced to make a my player to make a GM it definitely comes off to me as bitching as you already had to make the MyPlayer so it's nothing new that they've done. We've had to create GMs in the past before anyway with the old Association so again this is nothing new. The way I see it, since a majority of the people that are complaining about this don't play MyCareer mode anyway, when you create the MyPlayer at the start of the game, just call him whatever real GM you want and be done with it since you're not gonna be playing MyCareer anyway. Maybe 2K will be able to add real owners and real GMs in the future or maybe they won't because it's not possible with the NBA's licensing agreement. Madden having an exclusive license with the NFL probably has a lot to do with their inclusion over there.

# 184 geisterhome @ 10/25/13 01:54 PM
I guess all those gm activities are pretty cool if you arent playing the games yourself. just like a real life gm doesnt control his players with a controller in front of his tv. but since thats not the way im playing i dont really like what they made out of this mode.

# 185 VDusen04 @ 10/25/13 01:56 PM
Quote:
Dude, the my player is the thing you create when you start the game. It's literally been in like the last three games and nobody has bitched about it until right now. You were already "forced" to create a MyPlayer. If you didn't have a problem with the profile/character you were forced to create for the last three years at least (maybe since 2K11 too, I can't remember) then don't start bitching about it now to boost your non-30 team association rage. Trust me we all understand your anger about that, no need to try to add extra layers onto your plight.
Yikes, that seems a bit harsh. For whatever it's worth, 2K13 was the first 2K I recall forcing me to create an overarching MyPlayer with a fictional system that attempted to force its way into every mode (VC). I remember making MyPlayers in other games, but I feel as though there was still a dividing line between the exploits of the MyPlayer and other more realistic modes.

I find the MyPlayer GM to be very, very silly. For me, it seems as if it'd stand as a constant immersion killer. Don't we all have certain things about NBA 2K we wish to keep authentic in hopes of prolonging immersion? Wouldn't it be strange if the head coach of each team you played as was a cyber version of yourself, instead of seeing the Mark Jackson and Mo Cheeks roaming the sidelines?

Can the game still be enjoyable while using a made up general manager? I don't doubt that. But for all the talk we get about how 2K's always listening and looking to improve their modes based upon community feedback, wouldn't it make sense for the displeased parts of the community to voice their opinions on the idea of fake GMs leveling up while lessening the ability to customize and control one's franchise experience?

And surely, at this point it's easy for everyone to get ahead of themselves. A lot of folks are being negative without having played the product. Similarly, some people are certain this game is the second coming... without having played it. Thus far, portions of the game have been revealed and this community has weighed in with their opinions based upon what they've seen. Some of those opinions are positive. Some negative. And a bunch in-between. Therein lies the nature of message boards.

# 186 cthurt @ 10/25/13 02:05 PM
Quote:
I don't mean to come off so harsh, but when I see someone saying they're being forced to make a my player to make a GM it definitely comes off to me as bitching as you already had to make the MyPlayer so it's nothing new that they've done. We've had to create GMs in the past before anyway with the old Association so again this is nothing new. The way I see it, since a majority of the people that are complaining about this don't play MyCareer mode anyway, when you create the MyPlayer at the start of the game, just call him whatever real GM you want and be done with it since you're not gonna be playing MyCareer anyway. Maybe 2K will be able to add real owners and real GMs in the future or maybe they won't because it's not possible with the NBA's licensing agreement. Madden having an exclusive license with the NFL probably has a lot to do with their inclusion over there.
I understand where your coming from and maybe the way I worded my statement was wrong, but my true issue is the myplayer gm taking the place of a real gm, but like you said maybe it isnt possible to get the real gm's but thats why I said maybe in the future they can look into having a option for the real guy. But you know the saying a ''close mouth dont get fed'' so I can only voice how I feel about certain things if it doesnt change so be it.

But I do like your idea about just creating a real gm I never thought about it like that hopefully we can make the guys look aged, so I appreciate the input.

# 187 geisterhome @ 10/25/13 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I understand where your coming from and maybe the way I worded my statement was wrong, but my true issue is the myplayer gm taking the place of a real gm, but like you said maybe it isnt possible to get the real gm's but thats why I said maybe in the future they can look into having a option for the real guy. But you know the saying a ''close mouth dont get fed'' so I can only voice how I feel about certain things if it doesnt change so be it.

But I do like your idea about just creating a real gm I never thought about it like that hopefully we can make the guys look aged, so I appreciate the input.

yea pretty ridiculous if I create a gm that resembling my 25 year old self and at the same time i wouldn't want to be some fake 50 year old man either.

# 188 SteboSSK @ 10/25/13 02:22 PM
Are you someone who goes deep into an association fails to barely play one year and moves on to something else. Serious question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Real teams make stupid trades all the time. If you control every team how is that realistic? It's fine if that's what you want but, why get so worried about what all the CPU teams do?

# 189 swiftychampleone @ 10/25/13 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingballa333
It's not your team so I don't entirely see why it should concern you. BUT, I don't play association very often so I don't know what kind of trades happen.

They must be pretty ridiculous.
Oh the trades can be horrible. I want to change the shape of the league and try to make certain teams competitive in my world of the NBA. I mean, if I'm buying a video game then I want my own world and creativity of what the NBA should look like. Is that so wrong when we buy sports games? To see our own view of a league?

This isn't directed towards you, but that's how 2K should be seeing the gamers that buy their games. Allow them to have customization at their fingertips.

# 190 swiftychampleone @ 10/25/13 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Here's one for you: I bought the game. It's mine! I should be allowed to do ANYTHING I want in regards to roster management and etc. It should be my own world of how I want MY NBA. D-Rose or Tim Duncan gets sent to the Miami Heat for an example. I want to reverse that. I should be allowed to do it. What if I want to take D-Wade from the Heat and put him in Sacramento to give life to that franchise. I should be able to do it in my GM mode/season.

# 191 24 @ 10/25/13 02:55 PM
I'll have no issues with this mode if the problems that were prevalent in association mode were fixed. Improved Drafting/Trading/Signing logic is what I'm mainly talking about. I think we've all dreamed about being the GM at one point or another so I actually like the idea of this mode. I don't know about anyone else but I've always dreamed of sitting some player down and explaining to him why he isn't apart of the teams future plans anymore.

My one big concern with this new mode is that 2K will focus to much on the new and not enough on the old. Association was pretty bare in terms of functions and it's great that this new MyGM mode gets deep into detail but like I said before I'm hoping they didn't layer new features over old problems. I don't want to see Kobe Bryant being signed by the Boston Celtics, or some ridiculous lopsided trades. I want to see CPU generated rookies develop properly and not make the league into one giant mess. If 2K fixes the problems they've had for so long then this mode will be fantastic.

# 192 canucksss @ 10/25/13 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Here's one for you: I bought the game. It's mine! I should be allowed to do ANYTHING I want in regards to roster management and etc. It should be my own world of how I want MY NBA. D-Rose or Tim Duncan gets sent to the Miami Heat for an example. I want to reverse that. I should be allowed to do it. What if I want to take D-Wade from the Heat and put him in Sacramento to give life to that franchise. I should be able to do it in my GM mode/season.
so i guess you need to start producing your own NBA video game

Kidding aside, for the past 4 years, I am pissed how EA produce their NHL franchise. Very frustrated in their effort and their game, IMHO, is not even worth half the price. So, this year I did not buy NHL 14, after 20 years of buying NHL video game, I just put a stop on this insult of EA.

You have an option here, if you dont like 2k's NBA you can skip it and buy Live. At least in NBA, you now have 2 choices unlike in NHL.

# 193 jeremym480 @ 10/25/13 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome
I guess all those gm activities are pretty cool if you arent playing the games yourself. just like a real life gm doesnt control his players with a controller in front of his tv. but since thats not the way im playing i dont really like what they made out of this mode.

# 194 The 24th Letter @ 10/25/13 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Yikes, that seems a bit harsh. For whatever it's worth, 2K13 was the first 2K I recall forcing me to create an overarching MyPlayer with a fictional system that attempted to force its way into every mode (VC). I remember making MyPlayers in other games, but I feel as though there was still a dividing line between the exploits of the MyPlayer and other more realistic modes.

I find the MyPlayer GM to be very, very silly. For me, it seems as if it'd stand as a constant immersion killer. Don't we all have certain things about NBA 2K we wish to keep authentic in hopes of prolonging immersion? Wouldn't it be strange if the head coach of each team you played as was a cyber version of yourself, instead of seeing the Mark Jackson and Mo Cheeks roaming the sidelines?
and this view of immersion should work both ways....while you think MyPlayer GM Is silly, I think the desire to play as R.C Buford is equally silly....

Making phone calls to other owners is viewed as an unnecessary "RPG" element to some, but to me it's just as immersive and realistic as your desire to add back the D-League,,.

People become immersed in different ways...the problem comes in when people view their idea of immersion as priorities instead of their personal taste...

# 195 RangersCruz @ 10/25/13 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss

Kidding aside, for the past 4 years, I am pissed how EA produce their NHL franchise. Very frustrated in their effort and their game, IMHO, is not even worth half the price. So, this year I did not buy NHL 14, after 20 years of buying NHL video game, I just put a stop on this insult of EA.

You have an option here, if you dont like 2k's NBA you can skip it and buy Live. At least in NBA, you now have 2 choices unlike in NHL.
If you get a NBA game for next gen you buy 2k not the game that looks worse then mario karts on N64

# 196 LakersForLife @ 10/25/13 03:29 PM
Do does it matter on the overall of myplayer for mygm since ur player gets imported into mygm? This will probably be my most played game mode next to MyTeam

# 197 manustyle90 @ 10/25/13 03:39 PM
There should be the "MyNothing" feature, where you can simply enjoy the game without being prompted to recreate an ugly 3d version of yourself to be the fictional protagonist of any mode of the game

# 198 swiftychampleone @ 10/25/13 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss

Oh we know that this is the response to something you don't like. Which is always my response. I'm trippin' hard over this because 2K had it in the previous games of 30-team control. Why in the world would you backtrack and remove it? That's stupid. It's the same thing when Madden had Owner Mode in the last-gen days and they took it out, only to bring it back at the end of current-gen. I shouldn't have to buy Live 14 (if they even have 30 team control, no info yet). Like RangersCruz says, that game doesn't look all that hot. This is coming from a person that LOVED Live 10.

# 199 trac @ 10/25/13 03:53 PM
Man this some bullcrap i was looking forward to association mode on the next gen.

# 200 King_B_Mack @ 10/25/13 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

Can the game still be enjoyable while using a made up general manager? I don't doubt that. But for all the talk we get about how 2K's always listening and looking to improve their modes based upon community feedback, wouldn't it make sense for the displeased parts of the community to voice their opinions on the idea of fake GMs leveling up while lessening the ability to customize and control one's franchise experience?

And surely, at this point it's easy for everyone to get ahead of themselves. A lot of folks are being negative without having played the product. Similarly, some people are certain this game is the second coming... without having played it. Thus far, portions of the game have been revealed and this community has weighed in with their opinions based upon what they've seen. Some of those opinions are positive. Some negative. And a bunch in-between. Therein lies the nature of message boards.
You and I normally see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. This one isn't one I don't think haha. My thing is the guys that are kind of going overboard with the outrage. Making declarations about what's missing before we even know if it's actually missing. Acting like having to create a GM is this huge issue when it was apart of the game already. In the last few years they've taken it out, yes but we created GMs back in the days of the fake owners that would fire you days. Like 2K8, you make your GM, pick a team and you have the fake owners with the tyrannical, entrepreneur and fan favorite personalities yadda, yadda. Before 2K11 people generally considered 2K8 the best of the series. College Hoops 2K8 people talk about it's greatness to this day and it's Legacy mode. To start that mode whether a open legacy or not, you created your guy and then went into the mode and yet the sky is falling now for the same elements.

It's just crazy to me to see the freakout about "RPGs" and all this other stuff when that's all it's ever been really.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.