Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

If you are looking for more information on MyGM, FranchisePlay.me has posted a new 10 minute interview with Senior Producer Erick Boensich detailing the mode a bit in-depth. You can watch it above you here!

Also there is a new hands-on impressions article from Bleacher Report of NBA 2K14 next-gen. If you haven't yet, check out our hands-on impressions as well and be sure to read through our report on yesterday's press event for NBA 2K14 next-gen.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 eslimm @ 10/24/13 09:52 PM
I always felt that 2k should do the RPG style like madden CCM and they finally did. It makes more sense to progress a player based off his performance on the court rather than waiting until the end of the season during training camp

# 122 Melbournelad @ 10/24/13 09:56 PM
Sundown, again, the reason some are apprehensive is because there has been no mention of the existing issues which plagued Association for years. MyGM could be great, but only if they have paid attention to the potential issues, logic issues, real coaches in staff pool issues, TSC issues etc. I guarantee the second 2k shows that these are finally fixed (which would eliminate the need for many to control more than one team), there will be a minuscule amount of complaining and a lot more praise for 2k.

# 123 ggunnerr @ 10/24/13 09:56 PM
I've always dreamed of being a Knick Gm, and this sounds right up my alley. I do have a ton of ?'s here are a few mostly focused on interaction with Kinect.

-When they say talk to the players, will we actually talk to them thru the Kinect?
-In the vid the dev. said you literally talk on the phone to other GM's about trades. Does the game use smartglass on your cellphone like Dead Rising 3?
-Will the game be able to scan you/likeness into the game thru Kinect like old Tiger Woods games?

# 124 JBreezeNY @ 10/24/13 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslimm
I always felt that 2k should do the RPG style like madden CCM and they finally did. It makes more sense to progress a player based off his performance on the court rather than waiting until the end of the season during training camp
They're still missing the ownership mode from Madden. I like that they're bringing back the RPG elements from 2k5, I've been begging for them to bring it back but we need full control.

# 125 Rdub33 @ 10/24/13 10:26 PM
I say this partly in jest but partly serious. I wonder if 2k is opening themselves up for lawsuits from the nbapa or players agents. Does having rights to an nba players likeness really give you the right to display their attitude, personality, reaction, demeanor? I mean maybe Cousins won't be so fond of seeing himself portrayed as the hot headed brat that he is? Perhaps Javelle mcGhee will take exception to the world seeing him as a talented dim wit. Lol I mean if I was in the game I would want some say so in how my likeness acts. It's one thing to get my jump shot wrong but my soul? Lol

Idk all I'm waiting to hear about is online options and continued balance with the gameplay? My gm my player my park my shoulders ....shrugging

# 126 d23x @ 10/24/13 10:36 PM
Sounds a lot like "their GM.."

# 127 jeremym480 @ 10/24/13 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d23x
Sounds a lot like "their GM.."
Not at all.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk now Free

# 128 minelevation @ 10/24/13 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
Because the typical sports gamer doesn't like RPGs.

They play NBA, Madden and Call Of Duty and that's it...and of course GTA.

Am I the only gamer that will go from Skyrim, to NBA2k14, to Battlefield, to Mass Effect, to NHL 14 over the course of a gaming spree?
I'm 31 now and I only play RpG open world games , shooters like BF4, waiting on witcher 3.... This My Gm mode is exactly what I want.. If you know 2k like I know 2k I have been playing since DreamCast.. 2k will let you customize the roster before you take it into my Gm mode , so, do all of your changes before you take the teams in the mode... Look I believe we have a lot of Nba Live converters that play Nba 2k because the pessimistic tone and dialogue has changed on OS over the years , Visual Concepts is the most attention to detail studio in sports, stop whining they got this .... None of these comments are constructive (You Can Give Your Own Opinions , but not your Own Facts) Please Stop ... Ea Sports mis leads there consumers Visual Concepts deliver what they present . Now on Next Gen you idiots realize that it is a whole new system with 8gb of memory right ? The 360 and Ps4 are working with under a 800mb ... They have a lot more memory to polish the basic things , they took a safe approach when they upgraded to the 360, they have learned a lesson, so, now they're bringing innovative things to next gen, creativity is what's needed with next gen, more open world , more gameplay mechanics, not the same stale systems that other companies try to shove down your throat year after year .. This is not the same 1990 madden engine with better graphics , this is not an All Streaks play from the 1990 play book , this is Visual Concepts the masters in animation .....

# 129 CaseIH @ 10/24/13 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketTMac1
If this expands to a full 30 team control system then it will be the best Franchise Mode I've seen. All the things I heard were good. Sounded like CCM on steroids. Man I want to experience this controlling all the teams. Seeing the backlash and praise on both sides of deals and rotations.

Adding a D-League to this would make it that much more realistic.
I have always wanted to have something like what CH had with coaching, where you can get fired or moved on to a better team. As long as were able to still have control of all 30 teams like Association mode so we can stop stupid things from happening and follow real life trades then I like this Idea of MyGM in Association. But if its like MYPlayer then it dont interest me at all and I wont be happy with not having a Association mode like it is now on current gen.

# 130 minelevation @ 10/24/13 11:10 PM
People complain just because they can complain, technology does as much damage as it does good...Microsoft took the family share plan away because people were complaining about not being able to share games the old fashion way, casual Nba 2k players complain about the learning curve, so they dumb down the online experience for people like myself , I consider myself to be a sim player , who wants the added experience of a My GM mode, I want to control the stadium, the parking, the half time show performances , lobbying to build a new stadium ,or moving my team to Alaska , I want it all,.. I would like progressive players from game to game like NFL Fever , I want progressive fans at the stadium, these are the things I want to see in Next Gen.. With that being said Visual Concepts and 2k if your listening please disregard all of these whiners who don't want change , please do not stop pushing the envelope , especially with all the resources on Next Gen systems... I'm also interested in the matchmaking system that is on the Xbox 1 , if this is implemented right, this year or next version of 2k I can select my opponents based off reputation , this will be good news for online play.. I salute Visual Concepts, I never have any complaints you guys do a great job , thank you for all the years of great gameplay

# 131 d23x @ 10/24/13 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Not at all.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk now Free
With so much being taken out, yes it does.

# 132 VDusen04 @ 10/25/13 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRBTODAY
I understand that people are upset, but I thought people wanted a change with Association Mode?
I don't think all people wanted change just for the sake of change. Removing the ability to control all 30 teams is a change, but that doesn't mean it matches up with the authentic improvement requests people have listed ad nauseam.

Strangely, I do not recall "force my MyPlayer to become GM and introduce leveling up (and maybe VC) to Association" making the cut on too many Association wishlists. But I agree it's a tough spot for these folks (and those who subject themselves to reading the complaints). It's one of those positions where you want to show thanks for someone paying attention to your mode, but then you're also kind of like, "Welllll that's not really what I was looking for... how did you even come to such a conclusion?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Sheesh. People have asked for Association to get some love and finally when it gets some SERIOUS, SERIOUS love, they fly off the handle and assume the worst.

Sure, 2K hasn't talked about changes they've asked for. Yes, MyGM has story elements to it-- but it will likely make Association *more* popular, and if it becomes 2K's other main mode other than MyPlayer, it *will* draw attention to its bugs and flaws and it *will* receive attention under the hood. Hopefully.

Association guys got more love through MyGM than Crew this year.

Just think about that for a moment.
Again, I'm not sure this is what Association nuts had in mind when they composed detailed and realistic-based wishlists for what they hoped to see from Association in the future. I think a lot of folks are glad to see Association get some attention, it just might not be what they envisioned. As you said, it sort of seems like the story aspect is the big push behind this mode, all while removing a fair bit of freedom by disallowing the ability to control all 30 teams.

Also, in regards to making the mode more popular thus allowing more of the changes we'd like to see, I'm not sure if that'd be the case. If the mode succeeds in terms of popularity (or monetary gain) I feel they'd just go deeper into the fantasy create-a-GM rabbit hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Actually some people are. Some are complaining that they dislike anything that feels like RPG or has "My" in it, and that they don't want to play a game with consequences outside of the actual basketball play.

For some reason, there really aren't many who say, "you know, this sounds really great, but I still need A, B, and C." The complaints are mostly formed like "I don't want 'My', I don't want 'Sims', and keep your RPG out of my basketball. Your new features are somehow destroying my game because in my mind they're completely incompatible to sim and customization for some reason. Give me back my stark spreadsheets."

There are varying shades to this, but that seems to be the thrust of many complaints.
I admit, I have an issue with the "My" movement, largely because it doesn't seem to be complementing other modes, but overtaking them altogether. It appears the modes in next generation 2K allow for us to either A) Create a fake player from scratch and play through a fantastical storymode B) Create a fake team and play them against other fake teams or C) Create a fake GM where one must level up to succeed.

Asking with honest to goodness sincerity, can you kind of see where that all might not vibe with a lot of gamers? Particularly those looking for an experience that might allow them to immerse and feel as though they're controlling something that truly resembles the real life NBA?

MyPlayer began to feel a little overbearing in 2K13, with being forced to create a player the moment the game started up, then having virtual currency rear its ugly head and whatnot. Still, there was a split between the MyPlayer realm and the reality portion. 2K14 on next gen looks like it's working on just about pushing the reality portion completely out the door (Season Mode being the lone survivor).

I'm having a tough time articulating my feelings on this matter, as you can likely tell, but I feel RPG implementations don't always necesarily make a game feel more realistic, even if the RPG events technically have the same label of things that may occur in real life. To be completely forthright, my fake GM sitting down in a generic conversation with a potential free agent wearing a terrible suit might actual harm immersion more than help.

# 133 dubplate @ 10/25/13 12:48 AM
I just want to play games and manage my roster. All this other stuff I really don't have time for or interest in.

I really want to play this game, but I'm honestly weighing whether it's worth the investment of time this new association mode looks like it's going to need. Seems like everything they added is actually going to detract from the immersion for me.

# 134 charter04 @ 10/25/13 12:52 AM
This sounds great. I'm very excited to play 2K14 on Xbox1. Next gen is getting better sounding everyday!

# 135 timotim19 @ 10/25/13 01:23 AM
I was never the type to control more than one or two teams in Association mode. However, I thoroughly enjoyed being able to WATCH/PLAY any game on the schedule on any given night in Association Mode. As long as I can still do that than I see myself loving this new "franchise" mode.

I also need to know the scoop on editing rookies and draftclasses in this new mode? I get a lot of enjoyment in making my own rookies to be drafted in. Sometime they are real players coming out of college, other times (most) they are fictional players that I just want to see how they match up...again, if I can still do this then all is well and bring it on, but if not, then 2K has dropped the ball.

# 136 JazzMan @ 10/25/13 01:46 AM
The RPG elements sound fun as hell to me.

My concerns, though, are the non-user AI logic and custom rosters/sliders/draft classes.

If the AI logic is improved for trades/free agency/lineups/etc., the lack of multi-users won't bother me.

Custom rosters/sliders/draft classes should be in for MyGM, but you never know. I'll be outraged if those aren't available to be brought into the mode.

# 137 McNulty @ 10/25/13 01:57 AM

Based on the info we've heard so far, My GM sounds similar to the likes of MVP Baseball and Madden 05's Franchise/Owner Modes; modes that either were never translated to current gen or stripped down to the bare essentials. I for one am glad to see them return after a long hiatus. Just hope its implemented correctly.

# 138 Painkiller1974 @ 10/25/13 02:18 AM
Is it possible to choose season lenght (14 or 29 or 82 games) ?

# 139 b0ck3n @ 10/25/13 02:41 AM
I'm an RPG nut and this new mode sounds fantastic. I think this is the way to go for sports games, heck any genre.

# 140 Dazraz @ 10/25/13 03:52 AM
Is anyone able to confirm 100% if Season Mode allows 30 Team Control/Play Any Game.
MyGM isn't for me. This RPG stuff has been tried before. It's nice & novel at first but how quickly will it become tiring going & back & forth between players moaning about lack of minutes on the court. I'll also be intrigued to see if the new technology avoids the painful load times that such elements often add to these games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.