Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

If you are looking for more information on MyGM, FranchisePlay.me has posted a new 10 minute interview with Senior Producer Erick Boensich detailing the mode a bit in-depth. You can watch it above you here!

Also there is a new hands-on impressions article from Bleacher Report of NBA 2K14 next-gen. If you haven't yet, check out our hands-on impressions as well and be sure to read through our report on yesterday's press event for NBA 2K14 next-gen.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 Sundown @ 10/25/13 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
and this view of immersion should work both ways....while you think MyPlayer GM Is silly, I think the desire to play as R.C Buford is equally silly....

Making phone calls to other owners is viewed as an unnecessary "RPG" element to some, but to me it's just as immersive and realistic as your desire to add back the D-League,,.

People become immersed in different ways...the problem comes in when people view their idea of immersion as priorities instead of their personal taste...
Even more immersive would be calling up the actual GMs of the team as the actual GM of your team. At the very least they should allow more than one MyPlayer so your GM can look the part and not be a tatted out 20's something.

# 202 VDusen04 @ 10/25/13 04:23 PM
Quote:
and this view of immersion should work both ways....while you think MyPlayer GM Is silly, I think the desire to play as R.C Buford is equally silly....

Making phone calls to other owners is viewed as an unnecessary "RPG" element to some, but to me it's just as immersive and realistic as your desire to add back the D-League,,.

People become immersed in different ways...the problem comes in when people view their idea of immersion as priorities instead of their personal taste...
The difference, of course, would be that R.C. Buford is, in fact, the GM of the San Antonio Spurs. My fictional, made-from-scratch MyPlayer is not. So when I speak to immersion, I am referring to being able to create a sense of belief that this simulation basketball game is grounded in realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Even more immersive would be calling up the actual GMs of the team as the actual GM of your team. At the very least they should allow more than one MyPlayer so your GM can look the part and not be a tatted out 20's something.
I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
You and I normally see eye-to-eye on a lot of things. This one isn't one I don't think haha. My thing is the guys that are kind of going overboard with the outrage. Making declarations about what's missing before we even know if it's actually missing. Acting like having to create a GM is this huge issue when it was apart of the game already. In the last few years they've taken it out, yes but we created GMs back in the days of the fake owners that would fire you days. Like 2K8, you make your GM, pick a team and you have the fake owners with the tyrannical, entrepreneur and fan favorite personalities yadda, yadda. Before 2K11 people generally considered 2K8 the best of the series. College Hoops 2K8 people talk about it's greatness to this day and it's Legacy mode. To start that mode whether a open legacy or not, you created your guy and then went into the mode and yet the sky is falling now for the same elements.

It's just crazy to me to see the freakout about "RPGs" and all this other stuff when that's all it's ever been really.
If you're singling out a very small number of posters who are going above and beyond merely citing their displeasure (and their logical reasoning for displeasure) with the apparent direction of the new mode, then I suppose I can see where you're coming from. But I suppose it depends what your definition is of "freaking out". The information released on MyGM suggests a funny direction. People have responded. Some love it. Some do not. Those feelings will either change as more info is released or become re-affirmed.

As for the previous create-a-GM, I must admit I barely remember it because it was hardly at the forefront of Association. Somewhere along the lines, I recall being able to create my own Joe Dumars and selecting a face that looked vaguely like him. Then that was it. The only time I'd see him was if I happened to check some sort of report card sub-menu. So again, in that case, I think our imagination kept us immersed back then. That would be in sharp contrast to being continuously reminded that Joe Dumars would not be running my team in 2K14. Instead, it appears I'd receive very regular reminders that my team is being run by a made-up character.

It may sound weird, but I'm thinking it might feel more realistic to run an Assocation in 2K13 and assume with my imagination that Joe Dumars is running things versus having it hammered into my head over and over that the Detroit Pistons are being manned by a made up schmo looking to level up by selecting correct speech paths.

# 203 Slater James @ 10/25/13 04:28 PM
Quote:

Aaaand that's why there should be as many options available as reasonably possible. Nobody feel impeded upon.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

# 204 charter04 @ 10/25/13 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteboSSK
Are you someone who goes deep into an association fails to barely play one year and moves on to something else. Serious question.
I play a long time if it's interesting. I don't really like the 2k association as it is now. It's very boring to me. This new mode sounds very entertaining. I don't want to control all the teams. It takes too long.

# 205 The 24th Letter @ 10/25/13 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
The difference, of course, would be that R.C. Buford is, in fact, the GM of the San Antonio Spurs. My fictional, made-from-scratch MyPlayer is not. So when I speak to immersion, I am referring to being able to create a sense of belief that this simulation basketball game is grounded in realism.

I concur.
Well that was my point...(and Sundown has a great idea BTW)

That's something that would help YOUR immersion, while 2k could get the Spurs entire FO scanned into the game, and I couldn't care less...

It's really just a matter of preference...my argument is that nobody's is "the right way"

# 206 Sundown @ 10/25/13 04:45 PM
Quote:

I concur.
And I can understand the trouble some folks have with HOW 2K presented MyGM-- with Chris's silly MyPlayer complete with stars shaved into his head.

Regardless of how well MyGM implements the immersion aspects (and I think they look promising and somewhat realistic), there's a tone 2K marketing set that's not quite right. They seem to be going for the "tight tight tight" demographic that wants to model themselves after a hip hop/basketball team owning mogul and not so much Bob Myers franchise savior, or Daryl Morey, chubby start nerd.

Because some of the tone seems driven by appeal to this demographic, we get oversights like being able to make multiple MyPlayers and there are probably 5 of us here that actually want to play as old guys no one knows.

Like I've said before, I think 2K is schizophrenic, in that there's this VC/casual/popularity driven thrust within 2K's leadership-- and then there's this sim/hoops nerd base within their dev team. Sometimes the marriage works. Sometimes it doesn't. I think things work best when the popular and fantasy stuff doesn't override the nerd stuff, but in fact compliments it-- ie, MyPlayer in 2K11 with combine, summer league, and D-league. They just need to allow it to be turned off for folks without the patience for it.

# 207 Smirkin Dirk @ 10/25/13 04:55 PM
Count me as someone who is worried.

Im an association guy. I play as all 30 teams. I make trades and signings that reflect what is actually happening.

The last thing I wanted is to be forced to import my GTAO character who wears a dress and has dreads into the Mavs GM role and play as him/her. I appreciate this new mode has potential and it will appeal to lots of people, but why they removed the purely SIM aspect of running a league has me very, very concerned.

# 208 King_B_Mack @ 10/25/13 05:24 PM
Quote:
If you're singling out a very small number of posters who are going above and beyond merely citing their displeasure (and their logical reasoning for displeasure) with the apparent direction of the new mode, then I suppose I can see where you're coming from. But I suppose it depends what your definition is of "freaking out". The information released on MyGM suggests a funny direction. People have responded. Some love it. Some do not. Those feelings will either change as more info is released or become re-affirmed.

As for the previous create-a-GM, I must admit I barely remember it because it was hardly at the forefront of Association. Somewhere along the lines, I recall being able to create my own Joe Dumars and selecting a face that looked vaguely like him. Then that was it. The only time I'd see him was if I happened to check some sort of report card sub-menu. So again, in that case, I think our imagination kept us immersed back then. That would be in sharp contrast to being continuously reminded that Joe Dumars would not be running my team in 2K14. Instead, it appears I'd receive very regular reminders that my team is being run by a made-up character.

It may sound weird, but I'm thinking it might feel more realistic to run an Assocation in 2K13 and assume with my imagination that Joe Dumars is running things versus having it hammered into my head over and over that the Detroit Pistons are being manned by a made up schmo looking to level up by selecting correct speech paths.
I think this might be where I'm missing your argument the most. It was always run by a made up character. Real GMs have never been in the game. If you want to have Joe Dumars running your mode, then simply make Joe Dumars when you create the avatar. Like I said before, from what I've seen thus far, most people that are resistant to the changes for that reasoning don't play MyCareer anyway so you aren't handcuffed to making yourself or some other fictional character to use for the on court Career mode.

# 209 VDusen04 @ 10/25/13 05:52 PM
Quote:
Well that was my point...(and Sundown has a great idea BTW)

That's something that would help YOUR immersion, while 2k could get the Spurs entire FO scanned into the game, and I couldn't care less...

It's really just a matter of preference...my argument is that nobody's is "the right way"
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I think this might be where I'm missing your argument the most. It was always run by a made up character. Real GMs have never been in the game. If you want to have Joe Dumars running your mode, then simply make Joe Dumars when you create the avatar. Like I said before, from what I've seen thus far, most people that are resistant to the changes for that reasoning don't play MyCareer anyway so you aren't handcuffed to making yourself or some other fictional character to use for the on court Career mode.
I honestly recall creating a GM at some point. Perhaps it was on the PS2. I suppose I could be crazy. But either way, GM's in the past, real or fake, were essentially absent after selection or creation, so the hit to immersion was extremely limited.

And I think it's a broad brush to assume mostly everyone who likes a realistic Association does not play MyPlayer. I've enjoyed a number of aspects about MyPlayer in the past. I think it's great to have that option out there for people. I think even the hardcore Association fellows would agree. I just do not like the "My" aspects overtaking nearly all modes like a virus. If I want to go down the magical wonderland of pretending I'm personally grinding my way to the NBA, it's nice to know that's there. But I'd also like the option to remain to run an Association as realistically (or unrealistically) as I choose.

Would we all be satisfied if our MyPlayer became one of the starting five in any Quick Game we played, no matter what? That's an extreme example to illustrate a simple point. A lot of us would merely prefer the option to run things as realistically as possible (i.e. no leveling up fake GMs). I like variability. I really liked the idea of MyPlayer when it was first introduced in 2K10, but I don't want my entire simulation, authentic NBA gaming experience to revolve around that.

# 210 Painkiller1974 @ 10/25/13 06:34 PM
I have a very very important question (...well... In my opinion):
In MyGM is it possible to select the season lenght (14 or 29 or 82 games) ?
I'm a father of 2 lovely kids and I work 10 hours each day... It is impossible for me to play 82 games...
My best fit was association mode with 14 games, that allowed my to play and make draft and try to rebuild team.

I'm writing this question several times, bur nobody from 2k answer me...

(Sorry for my poir english)

# 211 bamalam @ 10/25/13 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Real teams make stupid trades all the time. If you control every team how is that realistic? It's fine if that's what you want but, why get so worried about what all the CPU teams do?
what if you want to play against real nba teams-
kobe and the lakers, , but the cpu fa kobe has gone to charlotte,

bron/dwade on the heat, but fa bron went to pelicans, and wade re-signed but cpu then traded him to Orlando?

cpu Cleveland trades for cp3 and keeps irving and puts him on the bench?

ginoboli starts for san

every cpu starter plays 34-36 minutes?

12players play every game on cpu teams

cpu team resets rotations constantly

on and on and on...

go back and read the hype last time 2k rob jones was talking assoc improvemnts a few years back,how each team was thinking 2-3-4 steps ahead in rebuilding- sooo improved...

it was a mess, and they haven't fixed it after multiple years of consumers listing out the issues within a couple days release each yr. they at least gave us 30 team control to work around all the bs in the programming

can you see how controlling all 30 teams to keep more realism in the game would be missed?

the assumption is they have not fixed all this until the game comes out and they prove otherwise, based on their history of not addressing them over multiple years.

# 212 da ThRONe @ 10/25/13 08:52 PM
I think too many people are getting sucked into what is "real" as it opposed to what is "sim". If you want real than you'll never get that from a videogame. As real isn't the purpose of even the most sim game possible. Now there's level of simulation and adding oneself to the game may be too much for some, however there's nothing "real" about making personnel moves for any team whether it's a virtual you or not.

# 213 convince @ 10/25/13 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Oh we know that this is the response to something you don't like. Which is always my response. I'm trippin' hard over this because 2K had it in the previous games of 30-team control. Why in the world would you backtrack and remove it? That's stupid. It's the same thing when Madden had Owner Mode in the last-gen days and they took it out, only to bring it back at the end of current-gen. I shouldn't have to buy Live 14 (if they even have 30 team control, no info yet). Like RangersCruz says, that game doesn't look all that hot. This is coming from a person that LOVED Live 10.
Okay my issue with statement is how you guys, whether its 2K or Live dislikers, believe its so easy to create a game. This is their first game of the next gen and according to them was built from the ground up. Splitting a team up that normally works on one ANNUALLY release game to work on two is even more difficult. So guess what, some things will be missing at first but by year two or three(this is when imo when we will see the best next gen 2k game, b/c current gen will have a less prominent role) if these same problems exist i think you have a great point. Like the other user said, you have the option not but as I did with current gen, I did not purchase b/c imo is was not a big of a enough leap. I rather have the next gen version.

# 214 BigBadTom @ 10/25/13 10:24 PM
My only issue is unique, but I think it will be very very weird to see a my GM as a 20 year old basketball player who looks generic as hell. I think they should make them seem a little more elderly--like 40 year olds etc not the generic myplayer stuff that has you player wearing weird clothes and hats etc

# 215 VDusen04 @ 10/25/13 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
Why don't you just do what King B Mack said and create whatever the GM for the team you are running is?
That's a fair question. The reasoning why this would be problematic is if I opt to participate in MyCareer concurrently, I don't necessarily like the idea of having to use an awful created version of an old and fat Joe Dumars.

To re-state, I don't have an issue with fantasy modes by themselves. I just do not care for them taking over every other mode. Ideally, there'd be modes for folks who want to "live the dream" by placing themselves in key dream positions (NBA Player, GM) and then modes for those who wish to keep it NBA authentic. The mish-mash nearly every offered mode has become is kind of splintering.

# 216 fabioprince @ 10/26/13 03:28 AM
the slide are customizable?????

# 217 swiftychampleone @ 10/28/13 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convince
Okay my issue with statement is how you guys, whether its 2K or Live dislikers, believe its so easy to create a game. This is their first game of the next gen and according to them was built from the ground up. Splitting a team up that normally works on one ANNUALLY release game to work on two is even more difficult. So guess what, some things will be missing at first but by year two or three(this is when imo when we will see the best next gen 2k game, b/c current gen will have a less prominent role) if these same problems exist i think you have a great point. Like the other user said, you have the option not but as I did with current gen, I did not purchase b/c imo is was not a big of a enough leap. I rather have the next gen version.
Who said it was easy? This is pure common sense here. You see what you're game did right on current-gen and bring it over to next-gen. No sports game should restrict you from making roster moves for other teams in your Dynasty/Franchise Mode. Any developer that ignores this has to be stupid. Customization is key in sports' games. You know that.

# 218 convince @ 10/28/13 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Who said it was easy? This is pure common sense here. You see what you're game did right on current-gen and bring it over to next-gen. No sports game should restrict you from making roster moves for other teams in your Dynasty/Franchise Mode. Any developer that ignores this has to be stupid. Customization is key in sports' games. You know that.
As a player that does not do multi-team association, as long as the trade setup is similar to current gen. Any trade that happens in real life you can do in the association. And this also goes for drafting as well. If I don't like who the cpu drafted I trade that person where i think should go and vice versa. But if you are referring to signing and releasing free agents i get your point. Also as a person that loves options and hate restrictions I get your point and hopefully they will find a way to implement multi-team control next year.

# 219 Cowboy008 @ 10/28/13 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadTom
My only issue is unique, but I think it will be very very weird to see a my GM as a 20 year old basketball player who looks generic as hell. I think they should make them seem a little more elderly--like 40 year olds etc not the generic myplayer stuff that has you player wearing weird clothes and hats etc
Hopefully they have a slider just for MyGM mode where you are able to edit your players age to make him look older.

# 220 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 10/28/13 05:20 PM
I was going to wait a long time to pick up one of the new systems, but reading all this stuff is making me antsy about finding a job post-graduation so I can afford to pay up for a new system and play this. This sounds amazing to me, even though I was annoyed with the constant player conversations back in the old 2K games. It sounds like it's much better now, and not to mention I'm older and wiser and feel like I can handle that a bit better now. Back in the old days, I just wanted to get through the conversations and get on to the next game/next season. Now, I really look for an immersive experience, and it sounds like this might be it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.