Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Just announced at the PlayStation Experience, Josh Donaldson is the cover athlete for MLB 16 The Show. Will get trailer up in a bit. The game arrives on March 29, for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 (No Vita).

UPDATE: Here is the MLB 16 The Show trailer.

MLB The Show 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB The Show 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 TripleCrown9 @ 12/08/15 11:22 AM
Is it too late to fix stadium things?

In the game, Fenway's retired numbers are in numerical order (which they were from the late 90s to 2012).

Spoiler

But ever since the 2012 season, they've been in chronological order.

Spoiler

And to also add Pedro's number.

# 182 tnixen @ 12/08/15 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
Graphically it looks a lot like MLB 09
It's very sad that so many think that MLB The Show 16 looks like a game that came out 7 years ago on a much less powerful gaming system

But as far as Player models, Commentary, in game Animations and to some extent the TV Style Presentation goes I really can not disagree too much with how a lot people feel. But with that said MLB The Show even with it's short comings is still by far the greatest baseball video game ever created! And I have always and will continue to buy it day 1!

# 183 Bunselpower32 @ 12/08/15 01:23 PM
Before everyone gets upset, I love baseball and the show, and recently bought a ps4 essentially for this series. As such, I have a high expectation of what this game could, and frankly should, be. If they didn't want undue criticism, they shouldn't have released a video this early.

Something I hope will change is the slight choppiness that to me looks like ps3 era games. Rounding the bases, some swings, fielding, and several deliveries have this look to them that's kind of hard to describe. It's like there isn't a bridge from one animation to the next, and the animations don't look natural, kind of cut and pasted and not smoothed over at all. Nba 2k implemented dynamic shots or whatever, where the shot varied depending on the position and arrangement of the player. That was awesome and did a lot to make the game look great. 2k has the best gameplay plus the best graphics out there.

The engine and animations look pretty much the exact same as it has been for years, and they look very dated. I had hoped that a push to ps4 only would make this better, but judging by that video, it has made it worse, as developers can pour time into cloth textures instead of fluid gameplay. Sandoval has the exact same swing animation that he has had for years now, with no update or smoothing whatsoever. Several times the player jumps right into an animation with no transition. And a lot of what should be fluid motions look like what I can only describe as a polygon with the edges kind of smoothed off. I've seen that double play animation for 4 years now, it looks no better. That baserunning looks terrible. The dive in slow motion clearly shows chops and inconsistencies.

This is a pre beta build, I get that. But I highly doubt the gameplay will see that much improvement. And if it does, then great. But honestly, this video did basically nothing except instill fear that we're getting a pretty ps3 game.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

# 184 tnixen @ 12/08/15 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
Before everyone gets upset, I love baseball and the show, and recently bought a ps4 essentially for this series. As such, I have a high expectation of what this game could, and frankly should, be. If they didn't want undue criticism, they shouldn't have released a video this early.

Something I hope will change is the slight choppiness that to me looks like ps3 era games. Rounding the bases, some swings, fielding, and several deliveries have this look to them that's kind of hard to describe. It's like there isn't a bridge from one animation to the next, and the animations don't look natural, kind of cut and pasted and not smoothed over at all. Nba 2k implemented dynamic shots or whatever, where the shot varied depending on the position and arrangement of the player. That was awesome and did a lot to make the game look great. 2k has the best gameplay plus the best graphics out there.

The engine and animations look pretty much the exact same as it has been for years, and they look very dated. I had hoped that a push to ps4 only would make this better, but judging by that video, it has made it worse, as developers can pour time into cloth textures instead of fluid gameplay. Sandoval has the exact same swing animation that he has had for years now, with no update or smoothing whatsoever. Several times the player jumps right into an animation with no transition. And a lot of what should be fluid motions look like what I can only describe as a polygon with the edges kind of smoothed off. I've seen that double play animation for 4 years now, it looks no better. That baserunning looks terrible. The dive in slow motion clearly shows chops and inconsistencies.

This is a pre beta build, I get that. But I highly doubt the gameplay will see that much improvement. And if it does, then great. But honestly, this video did basically nothing except instill fear that we're getting a pretty ps3 game.

I know exactly what you are talking about and also I think what could be holding back the PS4 version graphics wise is maybe because it already looked so good and above and beyond every other sports game on PS3 that Sony does not feel the game needs to many improvements in that area? Although I will say Sony is doing one heck of a job with all the stadiums on PS4! In my opinion MLB The Show on PS4 is just a wonderful game as it is but we all know it could be epic if just a few areas of the game were greatly improved. Like Player models, Commentary, in game Animations and TV Style Presentation.

Also this video of a "pre beta" build could be pretty old compared to what the final build will look like. I am not saying you would see a huge difference from Pre beta to final build but when 16 is done I am sure it will be one heck of a pretty game!

# 185 Turbojugend @ 12/08/15 02:53 PM
Quote:
But honestly, this video did basically nothing except instill fear that we're getting a pretty ps3 game.
Don't forget that they rebuilt every stadium in the game for PS4... from scratch. Look at some of the old comparison pics and you'll see there's no way the PS3 could come close to replicating what we're getting on PS4.

# 186 yungincome @ 12/08/15 03:31 PM
Quote:

Pretty much this

# 187 ajblithe20 @ 12/08/15 04:10 PM
I'm extremely excited for this as I am every year. They always make great improvements every year.

With that said, I agree with many people in thinking the animations need an update. The play on the field just doesn't look as fluid as baseball should, and there has been very little improvement to it over the past several years.

I know this is just the first trailer and many things can change though, so I'm looking forward to all the information they'll give us in the coming months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 188 Lovesports @ 12/08/15 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUFAN
Wow, Three and half months away from release date and the " Debbie Downers " are out already complaining on a 50 sec video. Oh well at least it's getting closer to 16 coming out. Guess I will have to break out 15 again and play me some hardball.
Complaining is what gets things done. Enough people complained about the retractable roofs and now they're in. There is no room for political correctness here if you want things done. You doing the game more disservice than good by sitting back and talking about how great it is. I personally think that player models are more important than some stupid retractable roof but that's just one man's opinion

# 189 Armor and Sword @ 12/08/15 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Complaining is what gets things done. Enough people complained about the retractable roofs and now they're in. There is no room for political correctness here if you want things done. You doing the game more disservice than good by sitting back and talking about how great it is. I personally think that player models are more important than some stupid retractable roof but that's just one man's opinion
It's about having good form and having good constructive communication skills. I am always for giving good constructive feedback to the development team. It's all about how you deliver the message.

Piss and vinegar does not take you very far on this forum.

# 190 Knight165 @ 12/08/15 06:43 PM
Quote:
Nope.
Not even close.

M.K.
Knight165

# 191 Jolly Roger @ 12/08/15 07:12 PM
Quote:
Exactly.
Spot on.

# 192 Falcon999 @ 12/08/15 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
It's about having good form and having good constructive communication skills. I am always for giving good constructive feedback to the development team. It's all about how you deliver the message.

Piss and vinegar does not take you very far on this forum.
Agree. To me retractable roofs were more importants than new players models in term of immersion. But I won't go up to say roofs were more important than STUPID player models.

We're not going anywhere talking like that.

# 193 dalger21 @ 12/08/15 07:49 PM
Quote:
Constructive criticism gets you noticed. Complaining and whining generally gets you ignored.

# 194 Russell_SCEA @ 12/08/15 07:51 PM
Quote:

Your actually completely wrong in your assumptions.

# 195 danwin @ 12/08/15 07:57 PM
https://youtu.be/oNjrMAPtuVI

Breakdown of trailer and news on RTTS changes.

# 196 Spokker @ 12/08/15 08:31 PM
I don't mind people criticizing the game at all. In my opinion, it's more annoying to see people get offended by others criticizing a game. I kind of like the nitpicky weirdos, and I say that with love, who become scarcer and scarcer in this more civil, modern Internet. These guys remind me of the epic flame wars I saw on Usenet back in the day.

But I think the reason I'm not so hard on the game is that I'm a pessimist by nature, and I think baseball video games are the least popular of the major sports games. So I don't expect much innovation and keep buying it in the hopes that they keep making it. It's already perfect to me, a daily ritual that keeps me sane. I honestly just want the game to be refined further, not remolded.

We've seen MLB 2K drop dead. The Show won't even be on Vita anymore (maybe that has more to do with Vita than baseball). The only baseball game on Xbox One is that RBI Baseball remake, which is not a valid option for hardcore players.

With NBA 2K and Madden, I get the criticism they get because they are like the AAA behemoths and they can take it. But I don't want to convince outsiders and casuals that The Show is a bad game based on our nitpicks. I want them to keep buying it so that the series keeps going.

# 197 MauerMorneau09 @ 12/08/15 08:47 PM
Quote:

THIS. Took the words out of my mouth.

# 198 mikelecrenski @ 12/08/15 11:57 PM
Is the Vita version really out this year? Not going to lie will be crushed if that is the case...

# 199 earthlight897 @ 12/09/15 12:20 AM
This will be a first day purchase for me if the commentary receives a major overhaul, it's beyond atrocious. Every single game they say the same thing and the best is when Matt V says "sorry to interrupt" to his own line when the inning ends! lol

# 200 seanjeezy @ 12/09/15 12:22 AM
Excited to see what's new for '16 in the coming months, still having a blast playing '15.

I saw someone mention retractable roofs - if those really are in, it just goes to show that some improvements take years to fully implement and that just because we don't hear about those improvements for a bit doesn't mean they aren't being worked on. Remember that this Dev team never does anything half baked, and if a feature isn't ready for release it isn't included. As far as player models go (since that seems like a hot topic at the moment), I think one improvement from last year that is severely underrated is the body fitting accessories because clipping is such an immersion breaker. I think I am at the point with the graphics that I would rather see small improvements that make the game feel less "video-gamey", addressing things like clipping, wonky animations, etc. with the big one for me being the CAP generator that basically spits out caricatures. The amount of time I've spent editing drafted players to even minimally resemble humans is rediculous lol

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.