Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

Just announced at the PlayStation Experience, Josh Donaldson is the cover athlete for MLB 16 The Show. Will get trailer up in a bit. The game arrives on March 29, for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 (No Vita).

UPDATE: Here is the MLB 16 The Show trailer.

MLB The Show 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB The Show 16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 WaitTilNextYear @ 12/09/15 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Your actually completely wrong in your assumptions.
Wait. So, Ramone, are you saying we're all wrong about retractable roofs being in as well?

# 202 nemesis04 @ 12/09/15 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Wait. So, Ramone, are you saying we're all wrong about retractable roofs being in as well?
Sounds like he was responding to the context of the post rather than that specific detail.

# 203 HypoLuxa13 @ 12/09/15 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Sounds like he was responding to the context of the post rather than that specific detail.
Yeah, I took it as him basically saying that users who constantly b***h and complain on an internet forum/message board aren't the driving force that gets them as a development team to make changes.

And I have to believe that is true. Does anyone honestly think that the reason they decide to allocate resources and time to updating things is just because a few dozen people on Operation Sports and other message boards state things like "if the roof can't be closed in Toronto, Seattle, and Houston, I'm not buying the game" or "if the stripe on the Twins pants isn't correct, I'm not buying the game" ? As if they otherwise would have little desire to work on things like that?

How far we've come from "Baseball" on Atari 2600, "RBI Baseball" on NES, "World Series Baseball" on SNES and Genesis, and even the original MLB series on PS1. Yet there are always some folks who will never be satisfied, and believe their own personal preferences are THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE". To each their own.

I'm just really, really glad that the only baseball game we get is a really, really good one.

# 204 forme95 @ 12/09/15 09:27 AM
Im sorry, for me personally, a missing stripe, or a shoelace tied the wrong way isnt going to stop me from buying a game. That is just to nitpicky in my opinion. Half the time, I am so immursed in the game I couldnt even tell you what uniform I played my last game in let alone tell you if I noticed it was missing a stripe.

# 205 tabarnes19_SDS @ 12/09/15 10:25 AM
I'm excited for the game. Every year has an improvement and advancement in the game.

As we progress further into the ps4 and they move away from trying to keep feature parity with the ps4 I'm assuming a bigger inprovement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

# 206 Blzer @ 12/09/15 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
How far we've come from "Baseball" on Atari 2600, "RBI Baseball" on NES, "World Series Baseball" on SNES and Genesis, and even the original MLB series on PS1.
I just don't think we should be making this statement at all. That's not a fair comparison of any sorts, nor is it relevant. The fairest comparison would be to other MLB games, which sadly don't exist. The next fairest comparison would be to other yearly release games by the same development team in this generation, which for the most part is all other sports games. That's why Madden and NBA 2K float in here on posts every so often.

As for wishlists, I've had a small set of wishes since maybe MLB '09, and only one of them had been tackled but not fully addressed. I'm not saying my wishes are top priority, I'm not saying my wishes are easy to make happen, and I'm not saying my wishes aren't from broken facets of the game (only really one of them could be considered one compared to that of the actual game of baseball). These wishes will be brought up by me at least once every year in some thread, whether it's a wishlist thread or from a new video that comes out, or something to ask the OS community guys, etc.

I don't gripe about this game ever when actually playing it. Try and find a post when I do (unless it's reporting a bug or damning my own team in my franchise). My impressions are always solid and praising, and for good reason. This is a quality product through and through. Okay, there are some things on the Vita version I wish they considered doing, but that's now obsolete. Anyway, looking into the next year is when I make those wishes. I've been in possession of every release so far since '09, and I don't intend to stop that flow of purchases that SCEA deserves.

I certainly hope the annual re-reminder of things I'd like to see aren't considered to be complaints, whining, or whatever it is. Granted, some can't really be done anymore, like my Vita cross-controller functionality idea. Others though just strike me curious as to their response toward what it is they are looking to do, not to do, what things are impossible to make happen, etc. I think the most difficult part for me is just not knowing when, why, or how some things can be achieved. I don't want to wish things that can't happen, for instance. I only provide myself with false hope every year that they'll happen only to find out that they don't.

Anyway, the one thing I don't think should be happening though is people saying: "Just be happy that you're no longer playing the games with sprites and dots." I think it's cute when it comes up, but that's not a legitimate excuse for evolution to not continually take place. I get there are limited resources all around, and there always needs to be incentive to buy the next game, but I don't think that doesn't mean we can't still voice our opinions.

Then again, this team deserves praise time to time. If I'm a developer for this game or any software, it wouldn't feel good if we were bashed for a quality product, even if the customer acknowledges that quality. The constant late hours they put into this project, away from their families, and probably doing this so much that even they don't like the game anymore (like me when I'm writing a paper or composing some music, etc.) means that every so often, the only motivation to continue working hard is the behaviorist model of complimenting them with a "good job" time to time. What better way to do it than on a site where there are developers who actually take the time to read, ask, and invites members on what to offer?

So, every so often somebody creates one of these threads. How often? Not enough, but they should be recognized.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...highlight=SCEA
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...jays-blue.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-careers.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...orts-game.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...evelopers.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...anks-scea.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-out-scea.html
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-you-scea.html

I've never seen another forum or sub-forum go out of their way to commend a video game programming team like this. It's well deserved.

And in my searches I ran across a post of my own that was a mixed bag of defending a complainer (who was thereafter banned), offering constructive criticism, and providing props to Sony San Diego. Constructive criticism doesn't have to be long, I'm just bad at shortening things is all haha.

# 207 PsychoBulk @ 12/09/15 11:05 AM
Ill most likely pre-order as per normal but my excitement level for this game dips yearly, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, it will still be a superb game with many, many more pro's than con's but it simply cannot shake off this stale feeling, as far as im concerned.

I dont expect a different looking game every year, it would be stupid to do so, it's the same developer after all, but when so many things go largely untouched for year after year such as commentary, franchise, even the same signature music for like, ever, then you start to compare it to the strides made in other areas of sports gaming such as NBA 2K, FIFA, Madden etc then yes, then it starts to make you wonder why you keep coming back and why '15 feels like '14 feels like '13 feels like '12 etc.

I repeat, it will be a great game, but times change and its simply my opinion that SCEA doesnt move fast enough with them.

# 208 adh5199 @ 12/09/15 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBulk

I repeat, it will be a great game, but times change and its simply my opinion that SCEA doesnt move fast enough with them.
Boom. Nail meet hammer. Hammer meet head.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

# 209 nemesis04 @ 12/09/15 11:28 AM
The main purpose of this vid was to introduce their cover athlete along with a few nuggets of things they have been working on. I am sure we are at the tip of th iceberg as far as features go. Obviously the game will not check all the boxes on what each individual feels they should have worked on but it will be far from anemic.

# 210 tnixen @ 12/09/15 11:36 AM
Quote:
The main purpose of this vid was to introduce their cover athlete along with a few nuggets of things they have been working on. I am sure we are at the tip of th iceberg as far as features go. Obviously the game will not check all the boxes on what each individual feels they should have worked on but it will be far from anemic.
Totally agree with that and all anyone needs to do is just look at last year and the year before that and so on. We always get the cover announcement a long with tiny tidbits and a very short video this time of year. And then most of the good stuff is announced around the last week of January.

There is loads of new info to come

# 211 PsychoBulk @ 12/09/15 11:37 AM
Quote:
but it will be far from anemic.
I've got to be honest Nem (and you know me, i've been on here years), anemic is exactly the type of word i'd use to describe this franchise at the moment.

Anemic, stale, stagnant, faded - call it what you will.

I'm not judging '16 by this one video of course not, im more talking about the general way the series has gone the last few years. I truly believe you could play any of the games from 2013, '14 and '15 and be hard pressed to convince a naysayer they really were different games. Great games yes, but, like i said, stale, etc.

Ill keep my hopes up for something a little fresher as the information about '16 starts to come out but as i said previously, my enthusiasm for this games release used to be rampant yearly, now its merely more than a passing interest and that's a great shame.

# 212 nemesis04 @ 12/09/15 11:50 AM
Quote:
I've got to be honest Nem (and you know me, i've been on here years), anemic is exactly the type of word i'd use to describe this franchise at the moment.

I'm not judging '16 by this one video of course not, im more talking about the general way the series has gone the last few years. I truly believe you could play any of the games from 2013, '14 and '15 and be hard pressed to convince a naysayer they really were different games. Great games yes, but, like i said, stale, etc.

Ill keep my hopes up for something a little fresher as the information about '16 starts to come out but as i said previously, my enthusiasm for this games release used to be rampant yearly, now its merely more than a passing interest and that's a great shame.
They are valid points PsychoBulk. The developers are aware of the staleness concerns people have. I know people want change quicker than it is happening but I get the feeling things are being addressed. It won't be turn on a dime change though.

# 213 Artman22 @ 12/09/15 11:52 AM
Quote:
Ill most likely pre-order as per normal but my excitement level for this game dips yearly, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, it will still be a superb game with many, many more pro's than con's but it simply cannot shake off this stale feeling, as far as im concerned.

I dont expect a different looking game every year, it would be stupid to do so, it's the same developer after all, but when so many things go largely untouched for year after year such as commentary, franchise, even the same signature music for like, ever, then you start to compare it to the strides made in other areas of sports gaming such as NBA 2K, FIFA, Madden etc then yes, then it starts to make you wonder why you keep coming back and why '15 feels like '14 feels like '13 feels like '12 etc.

I agree. I love baseball and enjoy this game a lot, but I still don't understand why they haven't changed the atrocious commentary and some things do feel like they're moving slowly. This is a PS exclusive and for the most part should look better graphically than multiplatforms like NBA2k in my opinion, but it doesn't. The old player models do bother me and the fact that we see a trailer and it looks like the previous years graphically is a problem. I know it'll be a good game, but I do wish some things were changed by now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 214 JODYE @ 12/09/15 11:59 AM
Quote:

:Appl:

It is the same cycle every year.

First video gets posted. You have your group that rips it to shreds saying the game is broken and unplayable because shoe laces aren't right, then the far right are the apologists that always come in and rip people for complaining and use the terms "tip of the iceberg" or "wait for more information" etc etc.

When are people going to start calling a spade a spade here?

Don't get me wrong, fundamentally the Show is a great game, but let us not kid ourselves, the Show has been a great game for years now and it has remained relatively unchanged during that period of time. Sure there have been marginal additions and tweaks to physics and such. Some mode additions that garnered minimal play from the community etc. But here we are, another video, and yet another year where it appears that aesthetically, this game will take one more step towards putrid.

I literally watched that video in HD, thinking it was PS3. The player models are still a tweak from a modeling system that was introduced somewhere in 2009-2010, almost a whole console ago. A great lighting system only further reiterates the need for a complete graphical overhaul. The animation system couldn't be more dated. Players move like robots and interact with the ground like it doesn't even exist. Throwing and pitching animations still look awkward and unnatural. Warp speed reactions in both the infield and outfield like physics don't exist.

Not to mention I still hear commentary that I heard 7 years ago.

I haven't bought this game in 3 years. I have rented just to see if it was worthy of a purchase, but as PsychoBulk said, I don't get excited for this game anymore. And this is coming from a guy who pre-ordered every year and would be at GameStop release day morning to pick it up.

# 215 aguero90 @ 12/09/15 12:28 PM
Some say lack of another baseball game to push the show hurts, and maybe it does. Others, like me, want fresh commentary, especially pbp. They know all this already, it just takes time. It's not going to happen over night. Heck, I called MLBN and left a message for Matty V basically calling him out, saying we need tv Matt in the show. I figured it can't hurt!

# 216 ryanmc564 @ 12/09/15 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Your actually completely wrong in your assumptions.

Yes complaining doesn't change anything, we know, it only drives you and the CD guys here nuts. But i must ask, what does it take to get things addressed that get brought up every year like new player models? pretty sure new camera angles are mention far less, but yet that's something you guys are willing to address with really no direction or idea on what kind of camera angles to use (granted I'm sure that's something that can be done more easily than other request), but hell closed roofs have been a complaint for at least a decade and that's supposedly might happen this year. if we ask politely does that help?

Hey SCEA can we please get new player models or at the very least more body types? pretty please with sugar on top. it will only end so much of the complaints on this forum.

# 217 tnixen @ 12/09/15 12:55 PM
Quote:

The Rumored addition of MLB Network would definitely take some of the staleness away I bet if done right of course

# 218 Armor and Sword @ 12/09/15 01:32 PM
I have to slightly disagree with Psycho on one point.

The difference between 13 and 15 as far as gameplay for me was dramatic.

Hitting was far better. Directional hitting was long overdue.

Ball physics were on another level. The variety of hits was the best yet.

Fielder speed, base runner speed was far more refined. The new speed paradigm was a success and can only get better.

Manual Fielding - something I never did on 11,12,13,14 was fun on 15 (I still went back to my auto field manual throw). It was not nearly as clunky as in the past. Ratings really mattered overall in regards to fielding this year.

Ball spins in regards to pitching was on a new level of realism. really impressive.

Pitcher AI was better IMO. Ace's felt like aces. 5th starters felt like 5th starters (on average).

Hitting AI was much better. I am able to set up hitter and get them chasing pitches out of the zone. Many more swings and misses on 15 then ever before. Awesome to throw some high country heat and get them swinging and missing for strike 3. Or a nasty back door slider locking them up. Or a almost in the dirt curve being whiffed on. That never really happened for me on previous games.

They enhanced the sliders to include both infield and outfield sliders which to me made a huge difference in realism and getting a sweet spot with auto fielding.

Anyway just my thoughts. I felt MLB 15 was easily the best one to date and by a pretty wide margin when it came to core game play on the field. It was truly the first next gen Show title. I felt 14 was more of a port (flame away but that's is how it felt all the way through save for stadiums).

I agree on many other points in regards primarily to presentation, player models etc. I hope they really ramp up to NBA2K like presentation. it is so freaking great.

Also keep adding to an already deep franchise mode. And of course we all want true historical stat tracking, rosters being able to be carried over stand alone (vs through franchise/season files).

I am sure we will get a lot of big game improvements for 16. I also expect presentation to be ramped up. I agree about MLB 15. The play by play was far too repetitive. I heard the same lines every game 12 games into a season. That should not be happening anymore.

# 219 Bunselpower32 @ 12/09/15 01:53 PM
Hm, tapatalk didn't quote the body of text. Just insert psycho bulks stuff here.

Could not have said it better. I was hoping that with the price drop on new consoles, they would be ok to push it to ps4 only and maybe that would invoke an overhaul. But then I saw that, once again, they're releasing another one for ps3. I got into the cycle pretty early this generation, so I'm expecting a better roi than my ps3 (which I picked up like two years before the ps4 was announced), but man, if it's just a reskinned ps3 game then I don't know if I can handle that.

I have to admit though, if they announced gesture pitching, I would go out today and order this bad boy. Maybe with that slow motion thing they'll take some more cues from the mlb 2k series and include some more of what made that game so dang fun to play (alternate position ratings, gesture pitching, batters eye).

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

# 220 Artman22 @ 12/09/15 03:51 PM
Quote:
They are valid points PsychoBulk. The developers are aware of the staleness concerns people have. I know people want change quicker than it is happening but I get the feeling things are being addressed. It won't be turn on a dime change though.

I think if they change the game's commentators it would be a huge start in getting rid of some of the stale feelings. This game is way over due for new commentators and it hasn't happened. I think they should start there just to bring something different to the franchise. I know myself. I'm a hardcore baseball fan and I love being in leagues so I always buy this game, but we can't deny that some things need changing at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.