Home

Quinn's Sliders (Armor & Sword base set w/ tweaks)

This is a discussion on Quinn's Sliders (Armor & Sword base set w/ tweaks) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #113
Rookie

chino22's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Quinn's Sliders (Armor & Sword base set w/ tweaks)

I have to say, I prefer playing on slow. I like the feel of normal sometimes, but (for me) it plays totally differently. With the same exact sliders it is far easier for me to score on normal for whatever reason. Wide open running lanes and all sorts of stuff happening.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #114
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino22
I have to say, I prefer playing on slow. I like the feel of normal sometimes, but (for me) it plays totally differently. With the same exact sliders it is far easier for me to score on normal for whatever reason. Wide open running lanes and all sorts of stuff happening.
I'm the opposite chino.. lol

Here something I posted in another thread in this forum (it's on the first page) discussing how speed affects gameplay. I'll just be lazy and copy/paste my thoughts on that subject.

To each their own when it comes to the speed option in gameplay, but I think this should stay bumped for a bit, because "speed" does affect gameplay on the field, with most or all players, in my opinion. Like I've already stated, I use normal speed and that is good enough for me, and I enjoy it much more over slow.

One of my main things is having the game play at speed that I feel is somewhat close to the pace of the NFL players moving on the actual field, and normal is just enough for me. After playing slow in this year's version, it is just too sluggish. You still see all the great animations on normal speed as well. I also find the running game for both the user and CPU is better on normal. You have to be more patient than on slow, while everything is moving at a quicker pace, and you also have to set up your blocks with correct timing a little more carefully. It, in my opinion, is just a more reward experience running well on normal speed. Running on normal feels better to me, overall.

Plus, I like the challenge (over slow) of having to read through my progressions a little quicker, and definitely having to make O-line pre-snap adjustments first, before calling the play, if I see pressure coming. Otherwise, a lot of the time you either don't have time to throw or get sacked.

EDIT: By the way, I played solely on slow in M25 and preferred that much more over normal speed, but that's just not the case for me this year. Another thing I notice on slow speed, the holes that open up in the middle stay open and don't close as quickly (as they do on normal), allowing gashing runs up the middle, much easier than the quicker pace on normal speed. Though, you also have to factor in how well your O-line is compared to their D-line (player ratings).

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-09-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #115
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

All right, after some testing with penalty sliders this is what I've come up with so far.

Before I post these, I want to reiterate a post that was posted previously in this thread by my regarding the penalty issue, and how I think a tester should go about adjust them. I implore you to read this first to get a better understanding on why the penalty sliders are set where they are currently, but still may be subject to change if I find anything better.

Without further ado, the post:

The only thing I plan on adjusting from here on out are the penalty sliders, and even then, I'm only going to mainly focus on upping facemask very little, for one. I see a facemask called from time to time in-game at the current setting, and in real life there really aren't many faskmasks in one game, so I don't plan on upping that to the point of a having a bunch of facemask penalties, just to replace the lack of penalties from other infractions not being called (that is just unrealistic, and a bad substitute, in my opinion), but it can still be bumped up a tad more.

I am going to adjust holding as high as I have to, to at least see some holding calls, and clipping will go up very little (as I see this from time to time) as well. I also see a couple of false starts by the CPU once in a while, so I will bump that up just a little more, as I feel that setting is close to being right. I do not want to see a ton of false starts on the CPU. Just too many, and it's unrealistic.. I'm not looking to cause more penalties just for the sake of having more in-game, because some other penalties aren't called at all or enough.

For example, I've seen some use roughing the passer at 52 (Armor & Sword had it at 52 in his early base settings), but at 52 you will have roughing the passer called multiple times a game (too many), where as in real life you still do not see that many roughing the passing calls. It is the same at 51, unrealistically more roughing the passing calls, just because one of your players slightly bumped into the QB. At 50, you WILL see it called once in a while, and especially if you take out the QB post-play, which I think is the best balance of realism.. and I've also seen it called more than once in multiple games thus far. Armor & Sword also agreed with me with the roughing the passer penalty setting being this way, for what it matters.

Anyway, that is my opinion on the penalty settings, and I believe I can find a good balance. If i can get some holding calls (I don't expect many as it seems this slider setting is flawed), I believe the final settings I figure out for facemasks, clipping, and false starts, will at least be somewhat okay, despite penalties not being called often this year at all. So, stay tuned. Or look at other slider threads to get an idea for penalty settings. Your choice.

I'm only going to post the penalties that were changed:

These penalties may change with more testing, but so far I'm thinking it is a realistic balance. The only thing I'm really trying to figure out are the holding calls. Let me know if you play any games, what you see called, and how many. That would be appreciated.

Penalty

Offside - 60
False Start - 55
Holding - 95 (this is the trickiest one because it is flawed, more testing will be needed)
Face Mask - 54
Clipping - 54

OP is edited to reflect these changes.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-09-2014 at 02:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #116
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Also, I consulted Aaron (aholbert32) on his auto-sub settings, specifically the RB sub out/in setting.

I wanted the backup RB to get at the very least 2 carries when subbed in (and maybe 3, or possibly 4, depending if you have a good back up RB) before your starting RB re-enters the game. He suggested trying the RB auto-sub at 78-80/90, and I've liked what I'm seeing from using 78/90 as for as carries for the back up RB. So that is one change I am making.

RB auto-sub out/in is now set to 78/90.

OP has been adjusted to reflect this change.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-09-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #117
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

To any poster's who were expecting or looking forward to me playing the Broncos (among other good teams) in week 11 of my online CFM, and post the box score, that's not going to happen yet, unfortunately.

I've decided to stop simming weeks to certain games and testing in online CFM to see what kind of results for stats are being produced. I'm finished testing overall game stats in that way from now on.

Instead, I've decided to re-start a fresh Rams online CFM and play it like I would an offline CFM. I rather it be an offline CFM, but oh well. I'm satisfied where the current sliders are now as a final product, so I feel comfortable playing out a full online CFM the right way.

One thing that really affected my testing while simming to certain games and testing those, was when I'd lose a game during the sim, my players' confidence would start dropping dramatically after too many simmed losses, therefore their attributes would start to plummet, and I can't really get the best results playing some of the better teams on the Ram's schedule with a team full of low confidence players with attributes in the dumps.. it definitely skews the game results, therefore the overall stats produced. There is no real way around the confidence (when simming and losing over and over) issue without manually doing it myself, so in my opinion, the games' stats end up not being an accurate portrayal of the sliders I'm using.

So, what I plan on doing is start a fresh online CFM with the Rams, with their current roster depth-chart (not playing injured players), and playing the game exactly how I plan to eventually play my offline CFM.

My time allows me to play all the pre-season games, plus all of the regular season games. I also on smartly using Game Prep and spending points on XP and confidence when and where needed (also multiple seasons, drafting, and Free Agency if needed.. the whole 9 yards), and see how everything goes from there for the St. Louis Rams, in a tough NFC West division, with a backup QB. Also, the Rams #2 CB is expected to be out for 4-6 with an MCL sprain, so I plan to just start and develop rookie CB E.J. Gaines for the #2 spot, which he is currently playing in real life. Also using Lamarcus Joyner as my nickel corner, so that's two rookies in the secondary. That'll be my weakest link on the defense, for sure.. but they are good young up and comers nonetheless, who I plan on developing.

I will try and post as many full box scores of as many regular season game as I can, but it's somewhat tedious to do an in-depth box score, so it definitely won't be for every game, but I'll get some out. So, you'll be able to see what kind of stats these sliders are producing, which is good for people who are curious about these sliders.

I do hope EA gets a patch out soon for offline CFM, but I can't wait any longer, so I'm going to dive right in tomorrow evening in online CFM and play it like I normally would. I will also still be keeping an eye on penalties called, so I'm still going to be somewhat testing those, but I like where they are at, for now. Game on!

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-09-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #118
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94
Also, I consulted Aaron (aholbert32) on his auto-sub settings, specifically the RB sub out/in setting.

I wanted the backup RB to get at the very least 2 carries when subbed in (and maybe 3, or possibly 4, depending if you have a good back up RB) before your starting RB re-enters the game. He suggested trying the RB auto-sub at 78-80/90, and I've liked what I'm seeing from using 78/90 as for as carries for the back up RB. So that is one change I am making.

RB auto-sub out/in is now set to 78/90.

OP has been adjusted to reflect this change
Agree on this, going to try out.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #119
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quinn you see my post about holding slider, worried increasing actually makes blocking worse, hence more sacks; when lower I was seeing less sacks, placebo? Not sure yet.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #120
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1980
Quinn you see my post about holding slider, worried increasing actually makes blocking worse, hence more sacks; when lower I was seeing less sacks, placebo? Not sure yet.
No, I haven't seen your post about the holding slider yet, but I'll look for it ASAP.

Two things have me interested about that though.

First of all, I finally thought this year penalty sliders weren't really or at all, affecting the gameplay sliders. It didn't or doesn't feel like it after all the testing and comments from other slider testers.

Another thing, in M25 when this penalty did potentially affect gameplay, the holding slider actually made the O-line more aggressive on their blocks, pushing them harder and holding them longer. I remember this distinctly, because people were complaining about the running game being too easy and needed to be toned down somehow, so testers were trying to find a good balance between getting some holding calls and not affecting the running game or O-line too much.

It could just be a placebo. Hell, I'm not even sure the holding slider even works, or it's barely working this year. If I do start noticing more sacks, I'll slowly tone it down though, you can bet it on that. So, thanks for the heads up placebo or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »