Home

JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's M17 Sliders within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #3625
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: JoshC1977's M17 Sliders

So I played my first game after setting it to All-Madden vs the Texans... I still won by a good margin, but they did do a good bit better. They were without JJ Watt, but Clowney was just eating my line alive. I managed to eke out 4 ypc, but it was tough sledding throughout. I carved them up in the passing game though, but Clowney again was just coming for me on every play. My line has garbage pass blocking though, so that could be why.

On defense, I noticed a lot more spin/jukes from the cpu, which led to them busting a huge run (I hate L.Miller. I have since M25). Generally though, I didn't see much down the field. They usually just kept dumping it off into the flats which my defense just really wasn't playing, even when I shaded underneath. Their pass blocking was very solid... I almost never got to Osweiler, but my best pass rusher is D.Fowler, so it's not a huge deal. My interior is pretty meh too, so that could also help explain it. Anytime I did get close to him, he just threw it away almost instantly.

I did record the entire game, but it came out to something like 1.8gb, so I'm not sure it's realistic to post it to show. Final score was something like 35-20.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 AM   #3626
Rookie

@ JoshC1977 > Josh you are absolutely 100% right. Here's why? I've owned Madden NFL 17, since December of 2016 and tonight was my first actual real football game played on "Default" settings. I added a few minor changes to the game, just like you had suggested. The only thing that I changed, was the game speed set to "Slow" in the Main Menu settings. I set the quarters to 15 minutes each, accelerated clock on with a run off clock of 15 seconds. I noticed you had suggested to play with 9 minute quarters, but it's almost the same with the accelerated​ clock on...slightly a little bit longer. Everything seemed to play out fairly realistic considering the final score was 35-28 in-which I was playing as the Falcons, and had I lost that game to the Saints. My only concern with playing on default is there wasn't​ really any penalties called whatsoever. The only penalty that was called during the entire game. Was a delay of game on me, in-which was my fault for taking too long on deciding which play to choose on that down...lol! Also another thing I had noticed, was the stat numbers at the end of the game were a little too high to be considered realistic...in my opinion.

On the other hand though, I do think playing on default Player/CPU sliders is the way to go now since I've actually played a full complete game on those settings. The only few suggestion that I have, would be to create some sort of a custom penalty slider to match well with default settings. Also I think maybe do some testing as well, and try to find a sweet spot between penalties, quarter length etc so that games can finish with realistic stats and numbers. These past few months, I've had lots of fun playing with Flazko's sliders, Raider_Ren82's, Whosnext00's, and a few other ones as well. Anyhow I just don't think they're the same anymore since the new patch was released. To me everything just seems to be out of whack now, as if the latest patch broken everyone's sliders who put lots of hours of testing and hard work into. Honestly it kinda makes me upset...but what can you do? Anyway whenever I try playing Madden NFL 17, with a specific slider set that someone had created on here. Not sure if it's just me, but it just doesn't seem to play out like they use to before...is it just me though? Well from here on out, as of right now I'll be playing Madden NFL 17 on default settings until someone can come up with another solid set of sliders that'll actually work right and play good with the latest patch updates.

Kind regards,
-Majik
Old 05-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #3627
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik_JoKerr
@ JoshC1977 > Josh you are absolutely 100% right. Here's why? I've owned Madden NFL 17, since December of 2016 and tonight was my first actual real football game played on "Default" settings. I added a few minor changes to the game, just like you had suggested. The only thing that I changed, was the game speed set to "Slow" in the Main Menu settings. I set the quarters to 15 minutes each, accelerated clock on with a run off clock of 15 seconds. I noticed you had suggested to play with 9 minute quarters, but it's almost the same with the accelerated​ clock on...slightly a little bit longer. Everything seemed to play out fairly realistic considering the final score was 35-28 in-which I was playing as the Falcons, and had I lost that game to the Saints. My only concern with playing on default is there wasn't​ really any penalties called whatsoever. The only penalty that was called during the entire game. Was a delay of game on me, in-which was my fault for taking too long on deciding which play to choose on that down...lol! Also another thing I had noticed, was the stat numbers at the end of the game were a little too high to be considered realistic...in my opinion.

On the other hand though, I do think playing on default Player/CPU sliders is the way to go now since I've actually played a full complete game on those settings. The only few suggestion that I have, would be to create some sort of a custom penalty slider to match well with default settings. Also I think maybe do some testing as well, and try to find a sweet spot between penalties, quarter length etc so that games can finish with realistic stats and numbers. These past few months, I've had lots of fun playing with Flazko's sliders, Raider_Ren82's, Whosnext00's, and a few other ones as well. Anyhow I just don't think they're the same anymore since the new patch was released. To me everything just seems to be out of whack now, as if the latest patch broken everyone's sliders who put lots of hours of testing and hard work into. Honestly it kinda makes me upset...but what can you do? Anyway whenever I try playing Madden NFL 17, with a specific slider set that someone had created on here. Not sure if it's just me, but it just doesn't seem to play out like they use to before...is it just me though? Well from here on out, as of right now I'll be playing Madden NFL 17 on default settings until someone can come up with another solid set of sliders that'll actually work right and play good with the latest patch updates.

Kind regards,
-Majik

This last patch is very much a double-edged sword. The absolute default gameplay is the best it has ever been; the downside is that it seems like the game is far more sensitive to changes. Changing autosubs, penalty sliders, fatigue settings, turning assists off, etc. all have major effects on the gameplay. Even seemingly minor changes can really throw the balance out. I'm not surprised if other slider sets feel different in this version of the game. But where this slider approach pays-off is over the long haul; the variety of games you have and situations where one player can make a huge difference. As in real life, you can be on a roll and then suddenly get smacked; maybe a guy having a great game against you, maybe losing a player to injury.

As far as penalties go, treat them as any other stat and don't fret about what happens in one, two, or even 10 games. Take it as a whole. I've had games with 8-10 total penalties, I've had games with only 1-2. Player traits play a large role in what you see (if you have a lot of guys with the 'disciplined' penalty trait, you won't see as many).
Old 05-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #3628
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Sort of a random post, but recent comments got me thinking of a lot of different "little" things I do when I play they maybe others don't. I wouldn't call these "house rules" but more my "style of play" which I feel adds layers of realism. You're going to notice a lot of these are centered around the user passing game....which I feel is the number 1 area where you can really skew the game.
  1. Pocket play. Watch Twitch or Youtube...you see guys either a) dropping back 10-15 yards or b) rolling out ....ON EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Hey, I used to do it too and in past games where pocket formation in Madden was more myth than reality, it was a necessary evil. With the enhanced line play we see with the OP set, pockets actually form more realistically. So, let's take advantage of that. Edge rushers coming? Step up into the pocket and let your tackles steer them around and behind you...it is so satisfying to elude the rush with a simple step forward. But, it does something else...you can actually see the passing lanes form. It totally changes the coverage dynamic, routes that were previously thought of as "money" may not be. Your QB's position in the pocket, relative to the passing lane, WR position, and DB position is going to alter the dynamics of the throw. Yes, it is harder, but it forces you to understand your patterns and the timing on routes in an effort to get the ball out on-time. Another added benefit, I see more holding calls this way.
  2. Re-defining an "open" receiver. In NFL parlance, you have 1 step on a receiver, you're open....use this adage in Madden. Target the primary on the route following this rule. Obviously, if you read safety/LB help, you go the secondary read. Far too often, I see people take the "safe and easy" dump throw and rely on stick skills to get RAC yardage. Of course their completion percentages are too high and the game becomes too easy for them. Focus on making the appropriate throws to your primaries and then reading to the secondary/tertiary receivers.
  3. Tied into the other two, use the left stick, use L1/L2...use all of the passing controls. While the sticks are not as sensitive as I would like (oh, how do I miss the pass lead sensitivity slider), using all of the passing controls really makes the game harder (yet more rewarding). I'm also beginning to realize how you can use certain combos to increase the likelihood of drawing DPIs.
  4. Catch options. I do not control and move my receiver before the catch but I will use the three catch types based on the situation...it adds another little layer of complexity to the game IMO.
  5. Run game...pretty simple; I follow the play design. But frankly, with these sliders, it is pretty tough to "cheese" the run game (though, on occasion, it is possible tp unrealistically run stretch plays way too far outside just by jamming on the turbo...I just don't do that).
  6. Defense: the main thing for me here is that I am not afraid to player switch. When switching on pass plays, I do try to focus more on swats or hitting the receiver rather than 'ball-hawking' every time. I also use the strip tackle functionality a fair bit (especially on pass breakups). It is double-edged sword as it can result in more facemask calls and broken tackles, but it adds to the variety.
  7. Audibles. I don't use them a lot...I don't think it is entirely reasonable to change every WR route on every play via audible. I have considered applying a fun little option where I use the QB's awareness to dictate what sort of audibles the "coach allows him to call". For example, Brady can do anything...but a low awareness rookie may only be allowed to flip a play. Not sure how I will set this up (or if I will), but it is another fun little way of injecting some "sim" into the game.
No real point to this post....but maybe others will find some of this helpful....
Old 05-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #3629
Rookie

Just as an update to my previous posts about All-Madden with these sliders, my buddy played 2 games the other day, and it was very different. He got -destroyed- by Seattle. He started off the game down 21, but managed to come back to an extent and ended up losing by 14. He then played SF, and did fairly well against them, especially in the run game. He would have done better, but he made some bonehead plays that cost him a couple of drives. I really like the feel of this so far on All-Madden. No game is a for sure win, and I feel like the player talent level gap is even larger than what it was on the all-pro. If you have bad linemen, they will get blown up and you will get sacked.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #3630
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Josh, these play great. How often have you found yourself resetting your sliders in cfm and why?

Do you use tdawgs exp sliders? If so when did you enter them?

Ive played multiple cfms and things get mucked up after awhile, mostly by the cpu offense, they become useless, 10 plus throw aways per game, 20 carries for 25 yards etc.

So i booted up a new franchise with the same settings minus tdawgs sliders. Played like a new game, 3 games later i entered tdawgs exp sliders....then cpu offense became useless again. So i exited the game, reset the sliders, but the same thing, this is infuriating how we have all these tools but you try and use them and things go haywire.

Your experience? Anyone elses?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #3631
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
Josh, these play great. How often have you found yourself resetting your sliders in cfm and why?

Do you use tdawgs exp sliders? If so when did you enter them?

Ive played multiple cfms and things get mucked up after awhile, mostly by the cpu offense, they become useless, 10 plus throw aways per game, 20 carries for 25 yards etc.

So i booted up a new franchise with the same settings minus tdawgs sliders. Played like a new game, 3 games later i entered tdawgs exp sliders....then cpu offense became useless again. So i exited the game, reset the sliders, but the same thing, this is infuriating how we have all these tools but you try and use them and things go haywire.

Your experience? Anyone elses?
Well, this is my take....
  • Once I start a franchise; I play through the first regular season game. I do not touch anything. When you finish the game and go back to the franchise screen, advance to next week. You should get an autosave for both the franchise AND user profile. From there, I do not exit to the main menu. If I exit/close M17, I do it from franchise mode. I think if your profile saves again outside of that franchise, it gets all jacked again. I have stopped worrying about do the profile reset...Lots of placebo potential here....I don't know....
  • XP sliders. I personally am not using them. I also can say that I have not tested them in this last patch. With my "all out default" approach; I just don't want to take any chances. I'm sure TDawg uses his XP sliders with these and he has good experiences; but his franchise is also rather advanced.
Regardless of all of this...it is really important to just roll with the flow. Some games will feel very different than others...you might shut down some teams unexpectedly. Just try to plow through year 1 and see how things proceed with an offseason...I have heard the games get quite a bit better as a franchise progresses as the CPU begins strengthening their rosters (especially the O-line).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #3632
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Thanks i appreciate the insight. Ive played enough to know when im shutting the cpu down and when theyre just not acting right, i think (unfortunately) straight default seems to be the way to go. Thanks for the tips josh

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »