Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #521
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL
The games I experienced they dont take strikes whether its down the middle or on the corners. I even try to fool the AI and throw back door breaking balls on the corners but they are just never fooled. Its not realistic and for me its making it difficult to strike out teh AI.

sorry bro but you are in the minority...the issue is that the cpu swings at most pitches you throw..

they dont take strikes...if they are making to much contact then lower their contact slider...is all about how you set your game up

no game plays perfect without sliders...no matter what anybody tells you...sliders are put there because anybody can beat the cpu if you play long enough and master the game...

so we can get better at the game but people want the game to stay the same in terms of difficutly...i dont get it'

i have the game since friday...the games issue has nothing to do with striking out cpu hitters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #522
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
You haven't even played the demo? What the hell? You posted a giant blog stating that 2K9 was better than the Show and you did all of that from just watching videos (http://www.osatwork.com/Tomba/blog/1...d-this-is-why/ - this blog has since been deleted)? How on earth can anyone assume you will put up a fair review after already posting a mini review stating one game is better when you never even played it? You disappoint me Tomba.

The 2K9 demo was a lot of fun. If people want to judge a game, judge it on how it plays first and not just after watching videos or reading about bugs in an internet thread or on what someone else thinks. Download the demo yourself people or rent both games if you aren't sure what to do. I don't understand people just going on what others are saying. I've been a big Show guy and I have actually played both demos. I think 2K9 did a lot of good things with their game and have blogged on both demos (see sig). But its still just my opinion. I'm sure I see strengths and weaknesses in both titles that others will disagree with but ultimately the only opinion that counts is your own. How either game will hold up long term will also take much longer with the game and nobody can answer that right now.
Deleted for that very reason realised it too late. AGAIn I was getting sick of the negativity being spread so what i wanted to do was vent in some kind of manner and not clutter up a thread and not start a flame war in a threaded area...

please love me again
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #523
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Deleted for that very reason realised it too late. AGAIn I was getting sick of the negativity being spread so what i wanted to do was vent in some kind of manner and not clutter up a thread and not start a flame war in a threaded area...

please love me again
OK.

Well I give you credit for deleting it and owning up to it. Some people were being overly negative with 2K9 and I can understand your frustration when that happens. Have you at least tried the demo yet?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #524
08 Mets! One Year Older!

thornie's Arena

OVR: 7

This game is starting to remind me of the hot girlfriend with just enough personality to keep you interested, then would say something so remarkably stupid that makes you really think twice...

I've now logged an entire weekend with her.. um I mean it. So here goes...

IMO the game is broken. I love it, but it's broken. It needs to be patched desperately and if they are taking this game as seriously as some are saying, it needs to be patched soon. Here are some issues that I'm having and have found "workarounds" for...

AI taking strikes - All IE sliders set to ZERO. Then I edited every single players "draw walk" slider to 100, and dropped their contact down my 15 ticks. This allows me to get MAYBE 3 called strikes the entire game. Hey listen... when the alternative is NO called strikes for the whole game, I'll take this as a moral victory.

Drawing Walks - I took the extreme approach here and lowered all AI pitch accuracy sliders to ZERO, all of them. I get good results, I walk maybe 4-5 times a game and routinely get the pitcher in the 80s-90s in pitch count. One thing about this game is that they 9 times out of 10 will pull the pitcher at around 75-80 pitches. So if you get the pitcher to get in the 100s, you deserve a trophy.

I have to say that hitting against the AI is a ton of fun, and is the best part of this game. It's like playing TWO completely different games when going back and forth between pitching and hitting. I'll have like a 10+ minute inning hitting against the CPU, then I'll consistently have 2-3 minute innings pitching. It's really REALLY frustrating.

Fielding - Fielding in this game is pretty awful. I figured out a way to avoid dropping the ball in the outfield, or the outfielder over running the ball completely. Turns out that shadowy circle around the yellow indicator is like a suction cup. If you GENTLY approach the shadowed circle and let go of the stick, your fielder will go into an pre animation and catch the ball. It's not perfect but I'm dropping far less bals in the outfield.

The infield fielding although better, is still broken. It seems the only way to avoid the problem of the 1st baseman not recieving the ball with his foot on the bag is try and get the throw meter on the green. If any part of the meter touches the red, the 1st basemans foot will mysteriously be off the bag during his catch animation. The things is though, AI baserunners are way too fast, and its VERY difficult to catch a slow roller and get a guy out throwing on the green. Jason Giambi out of all people beat out a slow grounder to the SS for God's sake.

IMO these are the three issues that need to be fixed and patched immediately. This is the CORE of the game, and it's flawed. Fix this and you'll have a great game on your hands.

One last thing...

Regarding not being able to change the CPUS lineup. You DON'T have to make a ton of different game saves and load whichever before you play. All you have to do is set the lineup BEFORE you play. This takes like 5 seconds. Management --> Pitch Rotation --> EDIT to your liking, and back out. Seriously, it takes like 5 seconds.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #525
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
OK.

Well I give you credit for deleting it and owning up to it. Some people were being overly negative with 2K9 and I can understand your frustration when that happens. Have you at least tried the demo yet?
I have, and Played quite a few times, and as it is improved, my rating would be fair, thats it, a c+. There's just still issues with the game that should have been dealt with 2 years ago.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #526
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Guru~
sorry bro but you are in the minority...the issue is that the cpu swings at most pitches you throw..

they dont take strikes...if they are making to much contact then lower their contact slider...is all about how you set your game up

no game plays perfect without sliders...no matter what anybody tells you...sliders are put there because anybody can beat the cpu if you play long enough and master the game...

so we can get better at the game but people want the game to stay the same in terms of difficutly...i dont get it'

i have the game since friday...the games issue has nothing to do with striking out cpu hitters
Its almost impossible to strikeout the AI looking. All of my Ks have been on swings and misses. Its kind of unrealistic when you cannot strike out batters looking

In addition, the strikesouts I do get feel so cheesy because i am throwing breaking balls and there is an obvious weakness in the AI's ability to hit breaking pitches in this game.

I mean you cannot fool batters with back door breaking pitches in this game, that is a pitchers main weapon when they want to catch a hitter off guard, but in the game the AI is ready and they hack away. Sorry to me the whole pitching experience in this game is not realistic and needs to be patched..

And I have tweaked the sliders.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #527
MLB
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornie
AI taking strikes - All IE sliders set to ZERO. Then I edited every single players "draw walk" slider to 100, and dropped their contact down my 15 ticks. This allows me to get MAYBE 3 called strikes the entire game. Hey listen... when the alternative is NO called strikes for the whole game, I'll take this as a moral victory.
Man.. You had to do all that to get 'em to take a few strikes ? Ugh..
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #528
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Guru~
am about to leave for work...but i will write up my review of the game and posted laster this afternoon..

i will post the good and the bad..

i can tell you that i got 9 strikeouts with the dodgers second starter...

the issue is not getting strikeouts...sliders fix that

the issue is that the cpu just dont take pitches down the middle

3-0 counts mean they swing away even if you serve it up..

that i think can be patched but who knows

all i know is that the core gameplay delivers a solid game of baseball

the scores are realistic and so are the stats
How can you say that, when the CPU issues hardly any walks, it hardly walks, pitch counts are extremely low, CPU yanks pitchers too quick, too many hits, and too many HR's. There are no sliders that have adjusted this. To say it plays a realistic game is a complete lie. It can be a fun arcade like baseball game, but don't deceive people by saying it is realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »