Home

Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

This is a discussion on Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #457
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: Official MLB 2K10 Impressions (360/PS3)

I just tried to push a stand up triple in Boston to an Inside the Parker... but failed miserably... lol. I hit a towering shot with Granderson to deep left center, to where the monster meets the rest of the fence. Hit the top of the wall, and dropped back into play. I was midway between 2nd and 3rd when they fielded it... thought "I can stretch this..."

I was wrong. :y4:

Very nice contact animation at the plate however, I thought he was going to drop the ball.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #458
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
My two cents so far.

Overall impression is very good. FINALLY a playable baseball game on the 360. I've been SO close to buying a PS3 just for The Show. Not only do I feel like this eliminates my desire to do that but I think it will also give The Show a run for its money on the PS3 once word starts getting out.

This game is just plain fun. It captures the spirit of baseball in every way (pitcher/batter duels, personalized batter stance, atmosphere, stats, TV style presentation, etc) and I think that's what keeps me grinning as I'm playing this game. I can't wait to dive into a franchise or My Player mode.

It certainly has it's weak spots and most people have already cited those so I won't elaborate much but in general I think that 2K now has a more-than-solid base from which to build on and in the mean time they've put a product out there that I think a lot of people can cling to and enjoy immensely during 2010.

My basic thoughts:

Pros:
- Pitching is awesome.
- Batting views are great
- Love the RS batting. Power versus contact versus defensive swing is great.
- Presentation is slick
- Commentary is top notch
- In game atmosphere is great.
- SMOOTH game. Flow is great.

Cons:
- AI Fielding is almost too good and somewhat unbelievable
- Pitcher fielding is way too good
- Arm strength/ball speed a touch too fast
- Base running seems a touch off - probably too fast
- Overall speed of game may be a little off (including two above points on base running and arm strength)
I clone your thoughts
Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #459
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousAtticus
Okay so everyone has mentioed a lot of pro's and con's that I agree on about this game so far...

I only have one issue(that I don't believe has been mentioned so far), and that is the size of the uniform numbers on the back of the jersey's for certain teams are WAY to large.

This may be rather nit-picky but it just sticks out to me everytime I play the game, any one else noticed that?

Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #460
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousAtticus
Okay so everyone has mentioed a lot of pro's and con's that I agree on about this game so far...

I only have one issue(that I don't believe has been mentioned so far), and that is the size of the uniform numbers on the back of the jersey's for certain teams are WAY to large.

This may be rather nit-picky but it just sticks out to me everytime I play the game, any one else noticed that?
Really I haven't notice it maybe it is your TV? Glad to hear some good things about this game. Are there any videos of gameplay by the users yet?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #461
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32

I've really loving the positive impressions so far. Could this be the 1st time I ever purchase a baseball game for my 360?

I'm going to wait a bit but I'm really leaning towards yes. MVP 2005 may finally get retired for good if nothing terrible pops up in the next week or so.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #462
Banned

OVR: 8

I haven't played enough of the game to offer a comprehensive list of all the pros and cons but it seems to me that of all the things this game does it captures the pitcher/batter battle better than any baseball game I've every played (never played The Show).

Each at-bat truly feels tense and there is a need for strategy on both sides. Very immersive.

Whatever else may be wrong/right with the game, it seems to me they nailed this part. That means they can leave batting/pitching alone for the next few installments and really polish up the rest of the product.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #463
MVP

OVR: 4

I just had the left fielder drop the ball and my player would later score but no error was recorded, no hit was recorded, in the game summary it said reached on error, and the pitcher was charged with an earned run WTF?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #464
Rookie

RedLine's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
A lot of people have been raving about the pitching in this game, but after playing the demo, I've had a hard time getting past 2 things:

- You can't turn off the pitching cursor
- Fastballs seem to have arc to them

Are these just aspects of pitching that people are willing to overlook, or am I making too big of a deal about it?
FWIW, I think there's a reason for 2K not having a toggle to turn off the pitching cursor--it's done automatically as your stamina and composure decrease.

I checked out the pitching drill for composure and stamina and noticed that towards the end of the drill (when they are simulating low composure) the pitching cursor is hidden to make it harder to hit your spots. So it looks like they want you to have the cursor when you are fresh to help you hit your spots, but then it goes away to make it harder as you get tired.

This has not happened in the few games I have played but apparantly that is how it will work as you get more fatigued.

My $0.02

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »