Home

Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

This is a discussion on Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #1105
Banned
 
Big FN Deal's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2011
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Well I have my laptop hooked up to the LED TV and some quick things I noticed.

There still seems to be a lack of ability for the intended receiver to "become the defender" which diminishes the natural flow of the passing game. It creates this disjointed occurrence where the receiver sometimes instantly tackles the defender after an INT. The become a defender element would allow for a needed transition in those situations. I suppose one could be hopeful that this will be included whenever they specifically address WR/DB interaction but who knows. That element would be another way to naturally diminish unrealistic INTs without nerfing anything, which has been mentioned in the past.

Another thing is the way players do not play through the whistle, meaning we are quickly reminded this is a video game when most players instantly go into that post play trance the moment the whistle blows. Kind of odd that wasn't addressed in tandem with the real time post play reactions, seeing as they would compliment each other. You essentially have these real time post reactions from some, which is a good addition but makes the lack of reaction from others clash.

This seems to be an issue mainly with any players that aren't somehow on the ground when the whistle blows. For example, in one video a pass is thrown just out of reach of a receiver, out of bounds, the receiver is tracking the ball a few steps out of bounds, then the moment the whistle blows, the receiver instantly heads back for the huddle like a robot. No representation at all of their momentum carrying on through the whistle, it's like the entire virtual field time warps to "post play mode" after/because of the whistle, for standing players, instead of a real time transition.

Things like these may seem petty and inconsequential to some but they add up to create immersion. Considering the known legacy issues that will take who knows how long to address, I think a strong focus on the "little things" could add up fast and in conjunction with overall presentation and franchise additions, help distract from the bigger issues.
Big FN Deal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #1106
Rookie
 
NicVirtue's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2011
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Player movement and animations in general look smoother this year and more realistic,
I couldn't possibly disagree more. The last thing these animations look like is fluid or smooth. The celebrations? Yes, fantastic. Everything else? Looks stiff and robotic, as per usual, due to that dirt old engine.
NicVirtue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #1107
Banned
 
OVR: 28
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,301
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Well I have my laptop hooked up to the LED TV and some quick things I noticed.

There still seems to be a lack of ability for the intended receiver to "become the defender" which diminishes the natural flow of the passing game. It creates this disjointed occurrence where the receiver sometimes instantly tackles the defender after an INT. The become a defender element would allow for a needed transition in those situations. I suppose one could be hopeful that this will be included whenever they specifically address WR/DB interaction but who knows. That element would be another way to naturally diminish unrealistic INTs without nerfing anything, which has been mentioned in the past.

Another thing is the way players do not play through the whistle, meaning we are quickly reminded this is a video game when most players instantly go into that post play trance the moment the whistle blows. Kind of odd that wasn't addressed in tandem with the real time post play reactions, seeing as they would compliment each other. You essentially have these real time post reactions from some, which is a good addition but makes the lack of reaction from others clash.

This seems to be an issue mainly with any players that aren't somehow on the ground when the whistle blows. For example, in one video a pass is thrown just out of reach of a receiver, out of bounds, the receiver is tracking the ball a few steps out of bounds, then the moment the whistle blows, the receiver instantly heads back for the huddle like a robot. No representation at all of their momentum carrying on through the whistle, it's like the entire virtual field time warps to "post play mode" after/because of the whistle, for standing players, instead of a real time transition.

Things like these may seem petty and inconsequential to some but they add up to create immersion. Considering the known legacy issues that will take who knows how long to address, I think a strong focus on the "little things" could add up fast and in conjunction with overall presentation and franchise additions, help distract from the bigger issues.
Excellent post and if you read my blog post that is in my signature, I talk a lot about these kinds of things. I know they can be labeled as "little things", but they are actually very big. The reason we play these games is to escape into the fantasy world of playing in the NFL. If we can't be fooled into believing the players are real people, it takes away from a lot of the immersion. If you've ever played MLB the show, you will see an ASTOUNDING of "little things" happen on each play. It is mind blowing at how much attention was paid to every little detail. Even things like a guy's helmet flying off as he slides into 2nd base.

Think about it, what is the most important aspect in any sports game? Player movement and interaction should be number one every time. Without proper player movement and interactions, the game is going to look and feel like a sloppy mess. Madden's movement and interactions aren't beyond atrocious, but they are the worst of any sports game on the market - by a wide margin. In fact, I saw a video of someone playing NFL Fever 2004 today and I was amazed at how smooth and fluid all of the players moved. The tackles looked fantastic and the pocket formation and animations looked really, really good. (What is it about the year of 2004 that produced all of these really great games??? ).

Anyway, you have to wonder if they play their own game and if they even see some of this stuff. Madden is hands down the best looking football game we've ever had... WHILE IT IS STILL. Once it starts moving and animating, all hell breaks loose.
GiantBlue76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #1108
Rookie
 
burter's Arena
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: Jun 2007
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Anyway, you have to wonder if they play their own game and if they even see some of this stuff.
That is what kills me more than anything. It's like do they even play the game they are making? Like with Ncaa last year and the horrendous DB bug that also came over to Madden but not as badly as Ncaa. I mean I notice that the 2nd game in with the db's not coming back on curl outs and out routes being money. That is what annoyed me soooo much with all the GCers and some of the people here defending. It's like they are blind to the fact you have too, HAVE TOO, put in house rules to make the game fair....

When I played nba 2k13 in myplayer mode, I had no house rules. I got to the ECS against the heat. Freaking awesome 7 game series where each of us couldn't win 2 games in a row. I won on a dunk over Bosh and foul. I didn't feel like I cheated the game or I had to put in some stupid house rule. I played the game using everything the game gave me. But Madden, noooooooooooo you can't use everything the game gives you because you will just destroy it. I just SMH every freaking time I see some post about does Madden devs play their own game.....
__________________
NFL 2k5 When Sept. Ends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuvk8OQNTDc

Quotes lines from Mr. Schwarzenegger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0...eature=related

How to not get your a** kicked by the police.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=uj0mtxXEGE8#!
burter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #1109
MVP
 
Senator Palmer's Arena
 
OVR: 18
Join Date: Jul 2008
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
If you've ever played MLB the show, you will see an ASTOUNDING of "little things" happen on each play. It is mind blowing at how much attention was paid to every little detail. Even things like a guy's helmet flying off as he slides into 2nd base.
Oh my God, don't even mention The Show. I have completely fallen in love with that game -- it's even got me watching baseball again on television. As you said, it's the little things from batting stances to individual pitcher mechanics that bring it to life. And there is actual separation of the players. I can't pitch with say a Mike Minor the same way I can with a Clayton Kershaw.

The Show has completely ruined me. Every time I fire it up I find myself dreaming of a video gaming football experience to mirror it.



Quote:
Anyway, you have to wonder if they play their own game and if they even see some of this stuff. Madden is hands down the best looking football game we've ever had... WHILE IT IS STILL. Once it starts moving and animating, all hell breaks loose.
There was a post from LBz a long while back (can't find it anymore), but he basically said (paraphrasing) in the past they did find a good amount of the issues we find in retail during their testing process. But stuff slips through because it's either too late in the process to do anything about, or the fix is something so big that they just have to let it slip to the next cycle.
__________________
"A man can only be beaten in two ways: if he gives up, or if he dies."
Senator Palmer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #1110
Rookie
 
NicVirtue's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2011
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I saw a video of someone playing NFL Fever 2004 today and I was amazed at how smooth and fluid all of the players moved. The tackles looked fantastic and the pocket formation and animations looked really, really good. (What is it about the year of 2004 that produced all of these really great games??? )..
NFL Fever 2004 was tremendous. The movement of the QB while scrambling/rolling out was amazing. You also couldn't scramble all willy nilly either, because taking hits had a high chance of fumbles. The game moved so fluidly for a game that came out in 2003. It wasn't perfect, but it the players felt like they were running on the ground, instead on hovering over it. I still play it til this day.
NicVirtue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #1111
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT
 
charter04's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,629
Blog Entries: 3
Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
NFL Fever 2004 was tremendous. The movement of the QB while scrambling/rolling out was amazing. You also couldn't scramble all willy nilly either, because taking hits had a high chance of fumbles. The game moved so fluidly for a game that came out in 2003. It wasn't perfect, but it the players felt like they were running on the ground, instead on hovering over it. I still play it til this day.

Yep I saw that same video. It's sad how many good football games there were back then. It just shows how important competition is. Now it's "we're working on that for next year". With competition you better do it this year. Just ask NBA live about competition. They thought they could just keep putting out that Arcade foolishness until 2k changed the game. With competition EA would either step up or be Madden would be over.

I'm still looking forward to playing the demo but, if it's not what I want I'll be skipping Madden for the first time sense the SEGA days. I'm 35 and don't have the time to spend a year on sliders any more.

Last edited by charter04; 06-25-2014 at 09:31 PM.
charter04 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #1112
Rookie
 
OhioCub's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2014
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Yep I saw that same video. It's sad how many good football games there were back then. It just shows how important competition is. Now it's "we're working on that for next year". With competition you better do it this year. Just ask NBA live about competition. They thought they could just keep putting out that Arcade foolishness until 2k changed the game. With competition EA would either step up or be Madden would be over.

I'm still looking forward to playing the demo but, if it's not what I want I'll be skipping Madden for the first time sense the SEGA days. I'm 35 and don't have the time to spend a year on sliders any more.
There were alot of great football games in the past. The Joe Montana games on the Sega, especially 94; NFL Gameday; NFL 2K. Sadly, I ALWAYS felt Madden was the worst representation of real football year after year and it's the one that survived. I don't know if it was the name, or the fact that it was the first to give us 11 on 11, the first to give us season/franchise or what that made it so much more marketable but gameplay wise it always lacked. I remember in 94, I had the Joe Montana game but all my friends were playing Madden. I tried Madden and it had 3 lil windows for the recievers and they'd put their hand up when they came open. Players moved all stiff and robotic and it just didn't seem fun. After one game I told my friends, thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with Joe Montana. Similar events happened with Gameday and NFL 2k.
OhioCub is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Top -