Home

Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

This is a discussion on Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
You aren't wrong, it's we what we've noticed in videos and their spoken word.

My big takeaway from that interview was he acknowledged that some legacy issues still exist, ie, you know what you are getting if you buy the game, and my gut tells me that is an indication they know these issues still exist and they will work to try to eliminate those issues in the future.
As frustrating as it is that it takes entirely too long for them to "fix" things, the honesty and transparency goes a long way. I am much more willing to accept shortcomings if you don't try to BS me and insult my intelligence. Also, I am in the camp where I would much rather wait a little longer and have the changes implemented correctly and actually, you know, WORK. Don't rush to put some band aid fix in that is just going to break 10 other things. If this is the only game we will ever have again (which I believe is the case), I want it to be the best one that I've ever played. I'm willing to wait a reasonable amount of time for that. 8 years is far too long, but if things are coming to put the game over the edge within the next year or two, I can deal with that as long as they are up front, honest, and the things they put in the game actually work right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #42
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Rex gives us a lot of the company lines, but I appreciate when he deviates and talks about shortcomings, challenges 2k (legitimate or not, lol), etc. He brings some enthusiasm and authenticity to what he's trying to do. The same way Clint is doing on Twitter and taking a lot of the bad along with the slivers of good being slung his way.

All that's left is for the product to deliver what they've been promising and for the candidness and interaction to continue as the cycle then repeats. Only then will it feel like we've broken this hype - release - silence - repeat cycle and collaboration and working with the community becomes more tangible and meaningful.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #43
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
As frustrating as it is that it takes entirely too long for them to "fix" things, the honesty and transparency goes a long way. I am much more willing to accept shortcomings if you don't try to BS me and insult my intelligence. Also, I am in the camp where I would much rather wait a little longer and have the changes implemented correctly and actually, you know, WORK. Don't rush to put some band aid fix in that is just going to break 10 other things. If this is the only game we will ever have again (which I believe is the case), I want it to be the best one that I've ever played. I'm willing to wait a reasonable amount of time for that. 8 years is far too long, but if things are coming to put the game over the edge within the next year or two, I can deal with that as long as they are up front, honest, and the things they put in the game actually work right.
The honesty thing is important, I've been big on that for a long time. It shows a renewed level of basic respect for the hardcore customer base, and it is welcome.

I could maybe live with a good game overall that still has robots running, legacy locomotion, poor WR/DB interactions, etc., if this turns out to be true:

Quote:
Finally, for many it is all about balance and challenge. If the game is properly balanced and people can get a challenging, realistic game both online or vs. the AI, the game will be perceived as one of the best in franchise history. Fans told us that Madden NFL 25 had for soft zones, the outside run game was overpowered, and it was too hard to stop offenses. We took this feedback to heart and made some changes in our development philosophy to ensure that Madden NFL 15 is balanced across the board. I believe this will keep people engaged with the game for a much longer period of time and ultimately, this game will be remembered for being one of the most balanced we have ever built.
For years the game has not been fun to play for very long long because the experience is just too shallow, and the weaknesses in AI on and off the field (especially in CFM) just kill any sense of challenge. It's been as if one team develops defense, one develops offense, and at the end of the cycle, they try to put them together.

If "changes to development philosophy" means that they test and check for balance right throughout the cycle, to give the game depth and challenge and replayability, that could be fun enough to wait another year for some of these legacy issues. And if that includes better CPU AI management - of players with their assignments, of CPU game management, of franchises in CFM including team strategy, rosters, trades, etc. . . . those improvements would go a long way.

Madden needs to become just fun to play again.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #44
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

There's a big difference between knowing football and using that knowledge to make a game, vs knowing some things about football and knowing video games. That's the difference, Ian may have wanted to make a good football game but his knowledge of the game pales in comparison to what Cam, Rex, and Clint have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #45
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
There's a big difference between knowing football and using that knowledge to make a game, vs knowing some things about football and knowing video games. That's the difference, Ian may have wanted to make a good football game but his knowledge of the game pales in comparison to what Cam, Rex, and Clint have.

JP, where in the hell have you been? I don't remember you being around in 09 when they basically came to the community as the game was being made and asked us about certain things. Personally, I can remember counting pass rush times and IMing them to Ian specifically.

Not sure where this comes from but the whole "they're better than what we had" nonsense is tiring, silly, and useless. I appreciate your enthusiasm and optimism, but this is ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #46
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

The final product will speak the loudest. This is a apples and oranges comparison. Ian wasnt bringing in current and former nfl players and coaches to help the devs understand how football works. They brought in Cam Newton to teach route concepts, Stevenson Sylvester and another Steeler DB whose name escapes me, to teach how they would read the QB in man & zone. When has that happened in the past?

Old 07-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #47
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82

JP, where are you hearing this stuff, from following Twitter people?

How do you personally know Ian's knowledge of the game pales with the holy trinity above?

Again, there is no need to compare Ian to the rest. Sounds like to me you just want to throw Ian under a bus because you believe the other three can do no wrong. From Madden 12 to Madden 15 there should be a significant leap in technology and yet legacy issues still prevail.

You have no idea how or what Ian did for Madden 10. Madden 10 took the biggest leap LG going from 09 to 10 under Ian's leadership.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #48
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
JP, where in the hell have you been? I don't remember you being around in 09 when they basically came to the community as the game was being made and asked us about certain things. Personally, I can remember counting pass rush times and IMing them to Ian specifically.

Not sure where this comes from but the whole "they're better than what we had" nonsense is tiring, silly, and useless. I appreciate your enthusiasm and optimism, but this is ridiculous.
Ok they're not better than what we had, they're in a completely different league. Clint answers every question straightforward and this team isn't just spinning their wheels. They actually have a real plan and vision and people will see that for themselves soon enough.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »