Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #913
Rookie

Woodcutta's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis2570
I like the so far but what is wrong with the outfielders. i will be right under the ball and he will miss it and the runner will get a triple or worse. Will this be fixed, i thought i would ask here i always get the best anwsers
Ok, this has only happened to me once and it was because I couldn't get my fielder to where the ball was going to land (the yellow circle thingy). I then went through the field tutorial and it says that circle is where the ball is actually going to land. The better the fielder, the bigger and more accurate the circle is. If you are having problems getting fly balls I'm assuming this could have something to do with it.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #914
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Look here about 25 seconds in:

There is something going on with the stick/button control there. You can tell by the way the 1st baseman catches the ball and starts running towards second. I think it has a lot to do with using buttons to throw vs the analog stick. I have a feeling this is why some people are seeing this all of the time and some never see it.

I have played 10+ full games and at least that many demo games now using the stick to throw and I have seen this happen one time. With the weak AI hits I am throwing to first a lot. Many over and under throws on the gauge and still only one play where I threw to first and he didn't have his foot on the bag.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #915
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutta
Ok, this has only happened to me once and it was because I couldn't get my fielder to where the ball was going to land (the yellow circle thingy). I then went through the field tutorial and it says that circle is where the ball is actually going to land. The better the fielder, the bigger and more accurate the circle is. If you are having problems getting fly balls I'm assuming this could have something to do with it.
It is very timing sensitive too. You have to let off of the control stick early enough to let the field get into his catch animation. I don't like it and still have occasional issues but that is what is happening. Let off too early on running catches and your fielder just stops. Let off too late on any catch and your fielder won't even try to make the catch.

I like the idea because it feels like you are involved in even routine plays but I don't like the execution because it is so sensitive and it is all or nothing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #916
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

I've never seen the first base thing either, but I always use the right stick to throw to the bases. I've played about 7 full games.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #917
Rookie

The Living Legend's Arena

OVR: 6

A small complaint and i am sure this has been said before, but 1:00 games end at Pitch black? WTF?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #918
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
I've never seen the first base thing either, but I always use the right stick to throw to the bases. I've played about 7 full games.
I never saw it in the demo myself (played about 7 three inning games) and I used both button and analog (I really liked analog after I got used to it). I think the one poster that suggested they did this to account for throwing errors is probably right. Instead of seeing balls go wide of the first basemen, they used this flawed method to simulate throwing errors. Who knows? I haven't seen the ball fall behind my outfielder either and have started to wonder if some of these issues are system specific.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #919
Rookie

OVR: 4

Impressions from a former hardcore gamer to now and older casual gamer.

This is not the best game by any means but I'm really enjoying it thus far. I mean I used to play the horrible looking HH on the Ps2 because the played great.

I think the hit stick even when it is toned down at least mimics some of the physics when hitting. For example, I tried to pull a couple pitches that were low and away and I did not hit them hard, but I have seen on occasion the low and away pull hit hard. Default out of the box is not good, I switched to Default All_Star and pitching is tough.

I haven't seen any of the glitches yet that people have talked about but I only have about 4 games in.

The positives that I see:
- The crowd reaccting to things, It was cool seeing the crowd sitting, then start standing up when I was in a pressure situation on the mound
- I like the IE. I still wish you could see prior at bat pitches and pitcher Pitch count for the CPU
- The pitching while toned down feels pretty good. I feel like I just can't throw anything
- Most of the animations are pretty nice and I enjoy the throw meters
- I LOVE the stealing mechanism, I feel like I have to work at it now
- The CPU runs all over me (to a point where they tried a Squeeze with a terrbile guy on third) (That's a negative )
- I like the baserunning also - although I'm still screwing it up

A few negatives:
- No working scoreboard!!! Minor but still
- Everyone has mentioned the swinging CPU, I have had them take a LOT of 2nd strikes though
- The field is a bit "jerky" at times, like I charge a ball and the fielder doesn't feel fluid all the time
- The out fielder slow down drives me nuts.

The managerial decisions seem better and the CPU seems smarter.

The game to me plays a pretty decent game of ball but does have some flaws. They patched the tag up issue last year or 2 years ago so I have hope they will fix some stuff. I hate that I can pre-load with buttons or stick. I use the stick but sometimes hit a button when switching etc and throw to the wrong base.

One thing I learned early is LEFT Trigger when throwing in the infield is huge.

Overall I'd say a 7.5. I am having fun playing with it and have not changed any sliders yet but overall with it's flaws I still think it's decent.

I do like the presentation this year.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #920
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquillian
Well, it's just crap . . . Sorry, this game is broken in so many ways, and I am one of the suckers who bought it thinking things would br improved from the demo. 2K should be ashamed. Play with sliders all day long - your not going to fix this one . . . When's Madden come out?
Madden? You are going to throw down with .... Madden? So much for high expectations...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »