Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #993
Rookie

rdonnel1's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This game is very enjoyable with slider adjustments and i am having a great time playing it...however, if i have to look at these stupid generic stances one more time i am going to go nuts. I hate not being able to edit batting stances, pitching deliveries, and the jersey and pants fit. Don't really understand why it would be taken out, hopefully it can be fixed with a patch but its not lookin like it will be..this is close to a game killer for me
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #994
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I'll preface this by explaining that I am not a baseball junkie, but I'm not a derelect either. A number of details missing from MLB 2K9 do not phase me. I probably would never have noticed had they kept the changeup in Johan Santana's repetoire instead of switching back to his real life circle change in the update.

As a serious casual fan of baseball, I really enjoy MLB 2K9. With my last baseball game being MLB 2K7, this feels like a step up in many aspects of gameplay. The hit variety appears to be solid and the game itself I find has a sort of MVP 05 feel to it (which may be a good or bad thing) in terms of hitting and fielding.

The game has surely been stripped of particular features and this appears to be relatively counterproductive in pushing the game forward. These range from the mundane (why doesn't my outfielder throw the ball into the crowd anymore at the end of an inning?) to the integral (why no stance/delivery editing? Why is there a cap to the editing process? How do we know how well we threw our pitch?).

The honest to goodness truth is that I've been able to look past all that. I won't deny that ignorance may be bliss, never having (as a 360 owner) played The Show. As a right stick fielder, I have yet to experience the 1st base glitch. The batter aggressiveness could surely be tweaked but I'm not sure how big of a problem I would have perceived it as had I not read this website first. The batters snapping into their stance was initially annoying until I realized that I always skip over the in-between batter walk-ups anyway.

I could reel off a hefty list of things to change or add to the next MLB 2K game. With that said, the hardest thing to get past in regards to this years' MLB 2K was drawing my own conclusions on the game rather than relying on and believing everyone else's opinion. After I would complete a game or two early on, I felt myself saying "That was fun. . .but . . .this is supposed to be really horrible so . . ."

If you only own a 360, I'd say the best thing you could do is rent this game and be honest with yourself. It will surely be more accessable to people like me, who specialize in another sport (basketball) but are still looking for something that's not an arcade experience.

On a final note, if NBA 2K10 was released with the inability to change a players' jumpshot, free throw, dunk, or dribbling package; with half of the teams' players having generic jumpshots; and something like alley oops removed (would that be equal to the removing of the double play breakup?) then I would be nothing short of enraged, so I feel the plight of those looking for their sports' lone simulation on the 360 to step up and having it step back in many aspects.

With that said, I'm having a lot of realistic fun with MLB 2K9 and I'd again say it's at least worth an honest try.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #995
All Star

OVR: 35

^^^
Good post.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #996
Th* *c*m*n!

ronnyballgame's Arena

OVR: 14

This game is like a girl that looks okay on the outside, but once you get to know her, it is her personality that shines. After the first few days, I was like most people here, on the fence, or wishing I had another game to play. But I keep on coming back to it, and getting more and more hooked once I figure out the perfect sliders for myself. I played NHL 09 non stop, and now, it is gathering dust post patch. I know, it isn't perfect, and yes, we should have gotten a better game out of the box, but once you get to know this game, it is actually fun and entertaining, and I will keep on playing deep into the year.
Florida State Seminoles

Rider Broncs- Graduated
LaSalle Explorers- Attaining Master's

Playing: FN4 UFC 2009, Tiger 10
Waiting: NCAA 2010, Madden 10, NHL 10
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #997
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyballgame
This game is like a girl that looks okay on the outside, but once you get to know her, it is her personality that shines. After the first few days, I was like most people here, on the fence, or wishing I had another game to play. But I keep on coming back to it, and getting more and more hooked once I figure out the perfect sliders for myself. I played NHL 09 non stop, and now, it is gathering dust post patch. I know, it isn't perfect, and yes, we should have gotten a better game out of the box, but once you get to know this game, it is actually fun and entertaining, and I will keep on playing deep into the year.

Video BBplayer1: "What do ya think of 2k9??"

pause

Video BBplayer2: "Well, its got a great personality."

you hear the running footsteps of BBplayer1 and the door slamming shut behind him

I know that is not how you meant it, but it was teed up.

Last edited by Woodweaver; 03-09-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #998
MVP

OVR: 12

I'm stunned and quite frankly, a little alarmed at how many of the posters here are willing to to glaze over the fundamental problems with this title. I've had title for 6 days now, and the only thing that keeps me from launching it across the apartment is the fact I love the game of baseball

In my opinion, 2k needs to issue a public apology to it's customer base because they elected to release this title in it's current bug and glitch-ridden form. 2k can't possibly expect anyone to believe that this title received even 1 day of QA testing.Not when you have IE broken, the 1B glitch, the fact that outfielders can't consistently make routine plays and the fact that alot of times players just don't react, period. I'm tired of getting killed by the cpu because either you nibble or you throw heat and get blasted.

At it's fundamental core, this game is broken and I'm not entirely sure that everything that is wrong with this title is patchable. I think the problems are deeper that that.

Tuesday will be 7 days since release of the PC version, and 2k still has not officially confirmed any intention to support this version in any way, shape or form, be it through patches, rosters ..anything.If the pc version goes unpatched, or receives no rosters from 2k , this will be the final PC title I buy from 2k games

I'll keep trying everyone's sliders and I'll keep hoping the developer will support their defective title
Old 03-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #999
Banned

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyballgame
I can't believe some people were saying this is the worst sports game of all time. Pastapadre lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. Yeah this game has bugs but the core game is outstanding once you get past all this stuff. People are silly and it sucks because I kept coming back to this game and was as frustrated as anyone else, but it made it even more frustrating because 90% of the people who review these games and are supposed to know what they are talking about don't... The core gameplay and the mlb.com integration is awesome. It's funny g4tv who everyone thinks is clueless are the only reviewers and people getting paid that actually know what they are talking about on this game. Some of these reviewers really should remove their goggles and realize people read their sites for unbiased, well researched impressions, and get some integrity. I doubt 90% of these people even really played this game. If you don't play it then you really have no right criticizing it.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 03-09-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #1000
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
I can't believe some people were saying this is the worst sports game of all time. Pastapadre lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. Yeah this game has bugs but the core game is outstanding once you get past all this stuff. People are silly and it sucks because I kept coming back to this game and was as frustrated as anyone else, but it made it even more frustrating because 90% of the people who review these games and are supposed to know what they are talking about don't... The core gameplay and the mlb.com integration is awesome. It's funny g4tv who everyone thinks is clueless are the only reviewers and people getting paid that actually know what they are talking about on this game. Some of these reviewers really should remove their goggles and realize people read their sites for unbiased, well researched impressions, and get some integrity. I doubt 90% of these people even really played this game. If you don't play it then you really have no right criticizing it.
Pasta posts video evidence of how screwed up the outfield play is and he's lost credibility? People who ignore glaring fundamental gameplay issues like fielding lose credibility...I'm really blown away by some of the responses here.I'm not biased, I don't own a PS2 or a PS3 or a PSP....all I want is a baseball title that I can count on to play solid basic baseball, like catching a ball hit straight to an outfielder instead of taking it in the face or mssing it totally like they do at least 3 times a game

and I do own and play the game!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »