Home

***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

This is a discussion on ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions*** within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #945
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: ***Official MLB 2K9 Retail Version Impressions***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
The one and only feature I was absolutely amped for this year was real-time.
Meh, even real-time wasn't implemented that well. Some of the things I've seen are hilarious: Girardi skating through the dugout fence before finally lumbering up the steps onto the field, cameras panning to blank spots of grass, no celebrations to speak of after a game, and umpires, base coaches, and on-deck hitters staying on the field after the final out. I realize VC had limited time, but some of this stuff is so goofy that it's amazing they didn't just scrap real-time altogether. They probably should've made it "perfect" before releasing it in a game.

I'm not going to lie, this game is fun, but I can see their target audience wasn't us. It was kiddies who don't care if the CPU swings at every strike, or every other ball is a home run, or diving plays are a dime a dozen (which they're not, thankfully). It's meant to pop and explode and be in your face. And even here, the developers failed miserably. The game would bore the hell out of me and, frankly, just piss me off if I weren't a huge fan of baseball. The only people I can see sticking with this game are those like me- 360 owners with no other choice of baseball game.

I've wanted a decent baseball game to play for five or six years. This is as close as I'm gonna get, so I'm going to play it. 2k9 has moments of brilliance. With slider tweaks, the game can turn from an offensive homer-fest into a pitchers duel. Right now, I'm actually going to turn the AI and human hitting up, because the scores are too low. Nobody is hitting with any authority. I need to find a balance.

Blzer, you played 2k3, right? Dude, this game has that same feel. The hitting is about as close to 2k3 as possible, and I think the fielding is fine, minus the first basemen garbage. The pitching could use some work, but overall, I like how everything moves. It's familiar. And it's much crisper than the slow motion, mud wading movement in Kush's disaster of 2k7. Seriously, the fielding in that game was gross, and the camera angles were horrible.

I'm not going to tell anyone to buy this game, because there's just way too many issues going on. Too many things to look past. But let me tell ya, if the AI aggressiveness is fixed and first basemen glitch disappears (supposedly a fix by holding the trigger?), I can deal with the game until 2k10, when hopefully we'll have a complete package. However, I won't be holding my breath. I'd rather not suffocate right now.

"Options out, bugs in!" - The original slogan for MLB 2k9
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #946
MVP

OVR: 12

3rd game of the PC version, the first with bigfnjoes' sliders:

-Beltran lined up for three routine fly balls to center, takes 2 to the face and just flat out whiffs on the third

-Delgado goes half way to 2nd base to catch a liner, won't acknowledge ball hit 2 feet to his left

-several instances where I move the right stick and the player still will not swing...not having an issue with any thing else done with the stick

-instance of AI just not programmed to understand basic baseball...bases loaded, CPU pitcher at the plate...swings at first two strikes...bunts on strike 2....easy force at the plate...they teach that in little league

top of 8th...CRASH TO DESKTOP...no error message, no nothing...like the game was never on

c'mon 2k, we must do better than this
Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #947
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Well, You guys saved me from dropping 60 bones.

2k, step up guys. Im willing to spend, you just need to give me a good reason.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #948
Rookie

bodean's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Well, You guys saved me from dropping 60 bones.

2k, step up guys. Im willing to spend, you just need to give me a good reason.
They continue to fail year in and year out with baseball games. They "will not" step up, as I've seen no indication they can.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...guebaseball2k9

65. That says it all. Hold on to your money.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #949
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean
They continue to fail year in and year out with baseball games. They "will not" step up, as I've seen no indication they can.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...guebaseball2k9

65. That says it all. Hold on to your money.
Uh, actually that only says it all if they don't put out another patch. In which case I will gleefully hold onto my money.

But if they patch just one thing (AI batter aggressiveness) it will make a huge difference. If they also patch the 1B foot off the bag fiasco as well, it will make a world of difference. If they patch both those things and more, I might soil myself.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #950
Banned

~Guru~'s Arena

OVR: 16

This game has tons of great things and it is hampered by a few things which are horrible.

What 2K needs to do is path the following and I will be happy

1. A.I Batting Aggression

2. Foot off the first base bag

3. CPU diving stops on linedrives

4. Improve fielding cam
Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #951
MVP

OVR: 34

Am I in the minority as someone who is actually enjoying this game ?

Yes, its a wee bit silly that I have to pitch like 1996 TOm Glavine, to keep the CPU from making aluminum bat like contact with everything..but otherwise, Im having fun, and am about ready to get the ol franchise mode fired up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #952
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Am I in the minority as someone who is actually enjoying this game ?
I think a lot of people are having fun with the game, but the bugs definitely take away from the experience. If all of the bugs and quirks are worked out, 2k9 will play a pretty good game of baseball with slider adjustments. As it stands now, the game is broken and frustrating.

I'm trying to make the most of it, but right now the first baseman glitch is getting under my skin. It happens at least twice a game. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be patched. My guess is the patch will only deal with "serious" issues like AI aggressiveness.

"Options out, bugs in!" - The original slogan for MLB 2k9

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »