Home

Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays

This is a discussion on Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #425
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
I was looking for any animation that came while a player had a live dribble and wasn't in the last 6 seconds of the play clock. The AI changes DRASTICALLY when that happens and I'm convinced there's nothing we can do about it. I saw pull ups that were escape dribbles, some were after the player beat his man/his man was out of position, and some were pull ups right in the chest of the defender. I didn't see a single "flashy shot" animation that players have tendencies for. With Pull Up at 0, players only take spot up jumpers unless it's in the last 6 seconds of the play clock, at least with the mid-range tendencies I used in this sample.
For testing purposes I think you should go easy on the "use triple threat" it takes you straight to jab step hell but you're a big kid you'll figure it out.

When you do get to the combination of triple threat shot and pull up you'll get the Jeff Hornececk scenario that I spoke of earlier on the thread with a lot of "fancy" one dribble pull up animations. I'm sure you will but please take note if this combination leads to more 3s from JRich.

The first blog entry is up. it's just a touched of version of my playcalling opinions from the other thread. I'm gonna gather up a few more of some of my more long winded posts before I start cranking out new stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #426
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

I want to start up a PM for anyone interested in testing Ball Handling.

This is of personal importance to me because I've been working on it for a while now. DukeC and SLIMM get an invite, who else would like to help me fine tune this idea?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #427
Banned

DukeC's Arena

OVR: 27

Test Game 2: Noah made quite a big difference this time around. Since he wasn't in early foul trouble this game I saw a lot of broken off post plays that instead turned into pick and rolls.

Bulls:

Post Play for Boozer
Freelance post up for Boozer
Freelance Quick Post up for Noah
Post play called for Boozer (Double Teamed)
Post Play for Boozer (branched off)
Post play for Boozer
Post play for Boozer (branched off)
Ran a play with 2 post options which branched off into a backdoor cut for Nate.
Set Post Play for Boozer
Freelance post play for Boozer was ignored for a dribble pull up

Hawks:

High Post play called for Josh Smith
High Post Play called for Josh Smith
Post play called for Smith (broken)
Freelance Quick Post up for Horford
Post play for Smith (branched off)
Post play for Smith

Last edited by DukeC; 04-15-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #428
Banned

DukeC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtreydawg
I want to start up a PM for anyone interested in testing Ball Handling.

This is of personal importance to me because I've been working on it for a while now. DukeC and SLIMM get an invite, who else would like to help me fine tune this idea?
I think I found a good balance. I was seeing a lot of "win" animations for the offensive ball handlers (such as crossing back to another side to get into the lane) or simply dipping the shoulder to get past them.

Jeff Teague did this multiple times (3) on Kirk Hinrich (the crossing back animation and dipping his shoulder to speed past) to drive to the paint so this leads me to believe the threshold is a 35 point difference (Teague Ball-handling 95, Kirk On Ball D 60) for the offense to "win" 60% of the time.

Deng was even able to win with 80 ballhandling on Jenkins and Smith 55 On Ball D (Dipping shoulder animation). So 2 times he won with ballhandling.

Last edited by DukeC; 04-15-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:49 AM   #429
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeC
I think I found a good balance. I was seeing a lot of "win" animations for the offensive ball handlers (such as crossing back to another side to get into the lane) or simply dipping the shoulder to get past them.

Jeff Teague did this multiple times (3) on Kirk Hinrich (the crossing back animation and dipping his shoulder to speed past) to drive to the paint so this leads me to believe the threshold is a 35 point difference (Teague Ball-handling 95, Kirk On Ball D 60) for the offense to "win" 60% of the time.

Deng was even able to win with 80 ballhandling on Jenkins and Smith 55 On Ball D (Dipping shoulder animation). So 2 times he won with ballhandling.
Yuck, that is so low it's gross. Are these mostly Iso situations?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #430
Pro

@bigtreydawg

About certain ratings kind of unlocking quick plays...do you think this applies to normal plays, too?
Could the same kind of ratings difference mechanics apply to set play calling in some way?

Will run a few tests with high touches players having all offensive attibutes set to 25 to find out whether the AI reacts to this.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #431
Banned

DukeC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtreydawg
Yuck, that is so low it's gross. Are these mostly Iso situations?

For the Loul Deng situations he would get a play called for him and he would come off screens to catch the ball in the mid range area. He would do a jab step and he would be aggressive and drive to the basket.

1 of Teague's was in an iso on Kirk Hinrich after a play broke off and the other 2 were after designed pick and roll plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #432
Banned

DukeC's Arena

Going to fool around with the regular 2K roster with some specific tweaks and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Edit: Okay. The teams were Jazz and Kings and the game was played on 5 minutes Pro Default 55 Game Speed, with default coaching profiles. I implemented the dribble rating (all guards with 90+ ballhandling. SF with 80+) and on ball defense (at least 75 on ball d for the perimeter players) edit changes as well as the post offense (80 for Cousins, Jefferson and Millsap) and post defense rating changes (All post players with 50 post defense).

I also Lowered the defensive awareness for all perimeter players to 25 (unless they were good, then they got a 50) and all PF's and C's to 50 (unless they were good defensively, in which case they got a 75). This was to highlight why bad defensive teams give up open 3 pointers/bad at closing out. I got the exact result I wanted as both teams managed to shoot above 40% from 3 (The Kings went 5/11 45% and the Jazz went 5/9 55%). There were classic cases of bad defenders helping out one pass away and giving up an open shot. Only about 2-3 threes in total were "You gave me too much space so I'm shooting it (2 of which belonged to Foye and the other belong to Isiah Thomas)".

The tendencies I messed with included putting DTL all the way to 0 for everyone. I left the Setup PRE- Dribble alone. I put Straight Dribble all the way to 100 for everyone and lowered Sizeup and Hesitation to 0 for everyone. For Dribble Penetration I put everything on 0 except for Simple Drive which is on 100. I left the Finishing Moves tendency alone and I put the Shot Types all the way to 0 for everyone.

90% of the shots taken were jumpers (except for one drive by Thomas, but that was after a defensive rebound, so it doesn't count). I saw 10-12 pullups for the midrange. 4-5 of which the Shot Clock was under 6 seconds. 4-5 of which were on fastbreaks after the rebound. Only about 3-4 of which were legitimate pullups in the halfcourt.

As for the post ups, they ran 3-4 plays for Jefferson in the post, the Kings would double team and he would pass it back out for the wide open shot. The Kings ran 3-4 plays for Cousins in the post where he would take 2 post fadeaways and a post hook.

2nd Test. Still seeing a lot of jumpers, but then, the Kings give up a lot of jumpers in real life so...can't really say it's unrealistic....Anyhow, this time around I've implemented a couple of changes into the coaching profiles for both the Jazz and the Kings (from Hyper's previous suggestions) to see if they would look to pass the ball into the low post more.

The changes are:
Run plays: 10
Double Team: 0
Take Inside,Close,Medium,Attack Basket: 1
Take 3 pointers: 25
Look for Post Players: 50

So far the Jazz have given the ball to Jefferson in the post 4 times in the 1st quarter while Cousins has gotten it 2 times.

Edit: And now my 2K has frozen. Many many expletives.

DEdit: Yep 2K is freezing my console up. Sad day today

Last edited by DukeC; 04-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »