Home

Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays

This is a discussion on Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #49
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjam
just played with the raptors set all three except run plays to 0 put that at 100. didnt see any standing around from the cpu.
Sirjam,I was about to say that you have a magical copy of the game that I wished I owned but then i did the same test you did, as it turns you are right. It's the fastbreak slider.

The fastbreak truly is its own mode. And when you stop a fastbreak in the half court then the CPU decides "it's time to play offense" and runs to their positions.

To see the standing around that I'm talking about take a low tempo team turn the fastbreak down to something that's easy to stop (say 20-30 and watch what happens when they decide they can't score off of this break. "Offense time"

This game is smarter than I gave it credit for, everything works together and finding the blend that creates smooth gameplay is a pain in the butt.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #50
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
Is tempo really related to the simmed FG attempts this year ? If I am not wrong, unlike before, tempo is now solely related to ingame (on court) FG attempts and the total sim control option (quick shots, run & gun, etc ...) is solely related to simmed FG attempts. Can you confirm this ?

I know I did some tests at the bigining and was happy that 2k finally took this path, to separate both and give us options to control them ... the total sim control was a great addition that would benefit from some expansion, more options and less restrictions.
Well damn, that shows how much I've played with the sim engine. I think early on I did a test to see if defensive pressure had an effect on points allowed and it did not but I naturally assumed that tempo was the same. I gotta travel so I'm not gonna be able to play for a week or so if someone can confirm that I could use something else to stress over about this game lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #51
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

In the spirit of not looking like I don't know what I'm talking about I want to do a roll call thing of things I've learned since the first post:

- Raising run plays above 0 allows for freelance time before a play is called after a defensive rebound. The time allowed for freelance seems to be in proportion to how high you raise run plays. If a play is not called that means the CPU has scored on you (or at least tried to).

- Offensive tempo while in the freelance mode determines how much the ball will move around, how willing a player is to score coming off a screen or a pick, etc.

- Fastbreak is King when run plays is above 0. It operates separately from the tempo slider and if your crash boards tendency is too high they will lob pass you even when the fastbreak tendency is at 0. Getting back on defense is super important this year.

However once the CPU is done trying to cram the ball down your throat hole the game plays better with Run Plays above 0.

Fun things I've learned about the coach profile:

Turn down attack the basket. Probably to 1. The game does a good enough job trying to score in the paint. This slider is only for the Denver Nuggets and even then no higher than 30.

Adjusting any of the shoot from locations effects play calling in addition tendencies. Higher Take 3pt means they will call those plays more. But the player will not always take that shot that is a tendency thing.

Also (despite my best efforts) certain plays will not be called by the CPU. 90's Golden State Warriors have two awesome pick and roll 3pt plays that the CPU will not run no matter how much you try.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #52
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtreydawg
In the spirit of not looking like I don't know what I'm talking about I want to do a roll call thing of things I've learned since the first post:

- Raising run plays above 0 allows for freelance time before a play is called after a defensive rebound. The time allowed for freelance seems to be in proportion to how high you raise run plays. If a play is not called that means the CPU has scored on you (or at least tried to).

- Offensive tempo while in the freelance mode determines how much the ball will move around, how willing a player is to score coming off a screen or a pick, etc.

- Fastbreak is King when run plays is above 0. It operates separately from the tempo slider and if your crash boards tendency is too high they will lob pass you even when the fastbreak tendency is at 0. Getting back on defense is super important this year.

However once the CPU is done trying to cram the ball down your throat hole the game plays better with Run Plays above 0.

Fun things I've learned about the coach profile:

Turn down attack the basket. Probably to 1. The game does a good enough job trying to score in the paint. This slider is only for the Denver Nuggets and even then no higher than 30.

Adjusting any of the shoot from locations effects play calling in addition tendencies. Higher Take 3pt means they will call those plays more. But the player will not always take that shot that is a tendency thing.

Also (despite my best efforts) certain plays will not be called by the CPU. 90's Golden State Warriors have two awesome pick and roll 3pt plays that the CPU will not run no matter how much you try.
It doesnt matter what the run plays is on if you stop the ball meaning make contact with the handler after a d reb. A play will be called right after the bump.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #53
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

I just have never seen much freelance from the cpu no matter the setting. However you are right about the attack the basket slider makes the teams play better. They still attack and drive but it seems they key more on mismatches which is great. More midrange and maybe more use of the dribble moves and jab steps.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #54
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17

Don't want to start a new thread for this so I will ask here. Do the "take (insert shot location here)" affect sim stats or does it just affect gameplay tendencies and play calling (like bigtreydawg suggested)?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover1
Don't want to start a new thread for this so I will ask here. Do the "take (insert shot location here)" affect sim stats or does it just affect gameplay tendencies and play calling (like bigtreydawg suggested)?
Yes, tendencies edits are reflected on sim stats ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #56
MVP

Crossover1's Arena

OVR: 17

Maybe I should have been more specific. I meant the ones in the coach profiles.

Btw ffaacc03, check your PSN inbox.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »